• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will iPhone 5c help sell Lumia by accident or destroy the brand's distinction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apple sued Samsung for over a billion dollars because the design of the original Galaxy phones were made to look like iPhones. They claimed that this confused customers and helped Samsung build a successful brand off of the iPhone design. Now Apple has decided to produce phones that look fairly similar to the Lumia phones. Obviously amongst the tech savvy this will have no effect and there will be no confusion of the two, but what about the average everyday person who doesn't pay such close attention? With the marketing muscle that Apple has I fully expect many average Joes to think that I am now carrying a new iPhone instead of Lumia.

NUSA-Lumia620-PP-Hero-Image-2000x1000-01-jpg.jpg
ghp_fo1_130910_v6.jpg

iphone-5c-devices.jpg
nokia-lumia-620-inceleme.jpg

Almost exactly the same shades of colors.

Customers all over the world are going to enter wireless stores looking for the new colorful iPhones that are being advertised everywhere and they're going to see phones that look like them with a much cheaper price tag. In the past the distinctive iOS UI might have made it immediately obvious to customers, but iOS 7 introduces a radically different look with flattened icons adding further confusion to the market.

Why would Apple introduce the 5c line and use the Lumia color palette?

Nokia-Lumia-Sales.jpg

Lumia sales have been rising steadily to this point outside of the US, but now I wonder if their distinctive look has been usurped by a much bigger player. Will Lumia have to pioneer a new look or embrace the similarities of the two brands?

border

Apple sued Samsung for over a billion dollars because the design of the original Galaxy phones were made to look like iPhones. They claimed that this confused customers and helped Samsung build a successful brand off of the iPhone design.

I don't think Samsung really made their fortune off of consumer confusion. Nobody thought, "Oh I'll buy this iPhone -- ooppps, it's a Samsung!" They just engineered a product that was remarkably similar to Apple's, and made it available on far more carriers in far more countries, for a better price.

Given the relatively limited availability of Nokia phones, I don't think they will see much of a bump from the iPhone 5C.

This topic wasn't about whether Nokia invented colors or about potential litigation. It's about whether their phones looking alike and using the same color shades will help or hurt Lumia. Honestly not sure whether Nokia marketing should be happy or angry.

I'm sure Microsoft has the funding to take apple to court over this

Apple and Microsoft do not sue each other since their cross licensing agreement and I don't expect a lawsuit. They do have a no-copy clause. I think Microsoft would rather deal with a partner than litigate. The case of Motorola/Google vs. Microsoft is a rare exception where Google/Moto refused to negotiate and pay any licensing to Microsoft anymore. Microsoft was therefore forced to go to the courts for resolution. Apple however cross licenses with Microsoft and in recent decades they resolve their differences outside of the courtroom. It's always possible, but I don't anticipate a lawsuit.

I don't think Samsung really made their fortune off of consumer confusion. Nobody thought, "Oh I'll buy this iPhone -- ooppps, it's a Samsung!" They just engineered a product that was remarkably similar to Apple's, and available on far more carriers in far more countries, for a better price.

Given the relatively limited availability of Nokia phones, I don't think they will see much of a bump from the iPhone 5C.

This was the argument that Apple made in courts all over the world. Many courts agreed with Apple's argument and some disagreed. As far as limited availability, this depends upon the region of the world. In some parts of Asia, Middle East and Europe the Lumia line is selling close to the same or better than iPhone.

The better price factor is interesting though. Some of the Lumia's are selling for only $100-$200 off contract versus ~$550 for the iPhone. This could actually turn out beneficial for Lumia sales if the 5c phone design becomes very popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom