• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will MS overtake Sony in North America now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky_R

Do you guys think that price parity will help MS overtake Sony in NA in the months to come or is the PS4 value/momentum still strong enough to keep pulling ahead in sales?

I think that being the same price as the PS4 will give them a nice boost, but it will not be enough to surpass it. I only see the Xbox One pulling ahead in NA if it's sold cheaper than the PS4.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hard to say but price wasn't their only issue. The biggest one still is mindshare and well... the PS4 is still more powerful despite price parity. If anything the XB1 should be cheaper.

Ricky_R

Hard to say but price wasn't their only issue. The biggest one still is mindshare.

Indeed, but maybe this price-cut will help circumvent that mindshare. Although they only matched PS4's price point, which is perceived as being a better deal.

ethomaz

Banned
It will increase sales but I guess it won't be at PS4 level even in NA.

At the same price PS4 is yet a better deal and now the there is no Kinect to differentiates the platforms.

JayEH

I wonder how many people still think you can't play used games on Xbox.

That could still be a factor.

curb

Banned
It seems way too early to call for me. PS4 has the momentum right now but the 360 had a head start and a lower price and PS3 pretty much caught up worldwide. A lot can happen over the next few years.

Stare-Bear

Banned
tumblr_m5tppnGY7I1qlvwnco1_r1_400.gif

They just lost the one thing that set them apart from the Ps4. Pricing it $399 is also a bad move, because now it's weaker hardware for the same price.

pswii60

It's ultimately down to the exclusives and marketing and how it resonates with the masses.

Will be interesting to see what games get unveiled at E3.

Games and bundles this holiday will be the biggest window for either to get the edge. I still see X1 playing catchup for some time, but the gap will close (especially if they have a good fall 2014).

Define "in the months to come."

Neither company has really started firing on all cylinders as far as first-party development is concerned, and in the long run it's games that'll make the difference. This puts Microsoft in an even position with Sony as far as the way that consumers weigh games and price, but they're currently behind in sales, they're permanently less powerful as far as hardware is concerned, and they've still got a lot of stigma to overcome. The question of whose first-party games are more appealing is ultimately a pretty subjective one, though obviously Halo as a single franchise is quite a juggernaut in North America.

I still view the PS4 as the better system, but the price drop makes it more likely I'll get an Xbox One at some point. This will help MS, but they have a long way to go before they catch Sony.

dugdug

Banned
They've only changed the price and the man in charge. Good steps, for sure, but, good will is going to take longer to earn.

Hell, it took Sony an entire generation to gain mindshare with the PS3, and, they *still* never caught up to 360 in NA.

Depends. The 399 is not enough but it is an important start to be in a price parity. If they deliver the goods I see no reason why Xbone couldn't catch up and even surpass PS4 in the US. The brand is still very strong over there and I think MS will be out for blood for the next year or so.

The big question in my mind is how aggressive Sony will be. It really depends on that.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Who knows, they are already selling more games in the NPD so maybe.

Sony haven't done anything though, they probably have aces of their own.

blakep267

What is it, only 400k. In the us and uk the price was the biggest issue. Not the same for the rest of the world but by December I see them being ties or in the lead

mrklaw

MrArseFace
No,not at least not for a long time.

Momentum of sales is with Sony, and that doesn't turnaround instantly. I don't buy the idea that there is any latent brand loyalty for MS just waiting for a price cut to surface. Even bought it sold more 360s than PS3s, the PS3 came back from a crazy high price and is still more expensive than 360, yet isn't that far behind in the US.

This time around Xbox one will always be technically behind, and if the network effect takes off, people will simply skip it.

The good news is that price cuts are only part of it. MS can turn things around but they'll need strong marketing and heavy investment in exclusive games.

evolkimchi

Neo Member
I doubt it. I still look forward to more titles on PS4.

who knows, E3 could change everything if MS comes out with a good lineup.

Regardless, the promise of the Xbox One and all that was supposedly built and centered around the Kinect and the whole multimedia experience was apparently BS. They've essentially turned their system into a PS4.

I don't trust MS's actions, vision, or statements anymore.

Playstation is the same price, more powerful, and has the momentum. I don't think the Kinect removal will be the saving grace. If I was Sony though I would consider throwing in a free game to seem like the better deal. Something like Knack, while not a great game does have broad family appeal.

The race now is much closer than most of GAF thinks it is.

It's possible, ask after E3 when we see games/bundles being offered.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
No. Sony still outsold MS a whole month of XBONE being available for around $400-450 everywhere AND with their big title release.

clearly price wasn't/isn't the only issue.

Lace

There were sales that already put the Xbone at or below a $399 price point. What they really are fighting is mind share.

Mxrz

I don't think so. But maybe. Marketing sells stuff regardless of what we think.

The kinect was the only interesting thing about the Xbone to me, and now MS has more or less pulled the plug on it. Now It'll get the same sort of developer support the original kinect & move got, so fuck it. I don't need to drop $400 on a machine that is worse than the product I already have.

Definitely think it will be a lot more competitive now. A lot of people I know saw that price and instantly considered that 100 dollar increase as the biggest factor.

Now all MS needs to do is bring the games, and they should definitely be able to turn the US ship around.

Worldwide probably a lost cause, but US should be able to get back into good shape.

Barzul

Well it's definitely going to be more interesting now. I'd wait till after Halo releases to form a conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom