• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will next gen be the first time Xbox and PlayStation compete on equal footing?

Will this be the first gen Xbox and PlayStation will truly compete?

• Total voters
Sure, theres still a year and a half for one of them to make some mistake or misguided PR move.

But generally every gen there's always some advantage from the start for one of the two:

The Xbox may have nabbed a couple npd wins from the PS2 but was shredded in general due to a one year head start and as a consequence, library advantage.

The PS3 reveal was so poor along with insulting their own fans the 360 was able to gain foothold in many places.

The Xbox One drm policies may have been reversed, but the console strategy was still the same and couldn't be reversed at the last second. Launching only in 13 countries for nearly a year, Kinect included by force, and costing $100 more.

But this time it seems like the PlatStation and Xbox will be on even footing with Xbox A and PS5. Both companies had their biggest "what the heck are you doing" moments in their console history. Xbox has been rebuilding their first party which collapsed in 2012, and has several cool services like gamepass and a new hardware team. PlayStation has their studios working on the new console ahead of time, making sure games will be at launch, and cool features with VR and PSNOW.

So outside a major screw up at either reveal, this seems to me to be the first time both Xbox and PlayStation will compete on equal footing from the start. This means heavy competitive behavior to grab the gamers dollar, and that's fine by me!

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
outside a major screw up .... well yeah.

both xbox/playstation will end up with similar spec of console hardware. it just comes down to who has the better exclusives and features.

i have a PS4 but i think Sony will fuck up next gen. Microsoft right now seem like they will "win" next generation. Honesty i don't really care. i'll buy whatever console has the most games i can't play anywhere else. I play mostly on PC so i don't really care what one i buy. it just seems most likely I'll end up with a PS5 even if it is weaker/more expensive.

This is impossible OP since it's likely both of these consoles will continue to use that damn detrimental Blu Ray format, grrrr.

"Rips paper*

Shin

Banned
It will be closer but still in favor of PlayStation as Xbox 1st party studios won't bare enough fruit to change the wind in their direction for the upcoming generation.

HeresJohnny

They’ll never be on equal footing. To be equal, Microsoft would have to demonstrate ability to be a market leader, which they’ve never done. In order to be equal, they’d have to be in the same class, and the Xbox isn’t, that’s simply fact. In order for them to be equal, the leader would have to fuck up enough to be on the same level as a lower tier system.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

One of them will screw up. They always do, in one way or another. It´s Murphy´s Law. It´s inevitable.

ethomaz

Banned
There is no viable option in the poll.

There will never equal footing... Sony PlauStation brand power is and will be always stronger than Xbox.

Game output on Sony platforms are consistent and that generate loyalty, not fanboy loyalty, but real consumer loyalty.

Sony won’t to two big mistakes again: launching late and pricing at exorbitant prices.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

I really don’t think so since Sony’s exclusives are way beyond anything Xbox is making.
Maybe if the next Xbox console is priced a lot less then Sony’s I dont see it happening.

Wimbledon

The ball is in Microsoft's court in my opinion.

They can buy as many studios as they want, they can create as many studios as they want.

They still need to deliver the games. I know what sony's going to bring, i know there going to try something new at the risk of it failing. They aren't going to play it safe.

If MS does not have the same approach then too me it doesn't matter what they do, sony will come out on top.

Last edited:

bucyou

outside a major screw up .... well yeah.

both xbox/playstation will end up with similar spec of console hardware. it just comes down to who has the better exclusives and features.

i have a PS4 but i think Sony will fuck up next gen. Microsoft right now seem like they will "win" next generation. Honesty i don't really care. i'll buy whatever console has the most games i can't play anywhere else. I play mostly on PC so i don't really care what one i buy. it just seems most likely I'll end up with a PS5 even if it is weaker/more expensive.

Even if the games arent good?

Calibos

MS has plenty of great games with a whole bunch of new studios preparing to make more, and Halo and Gears are still heavy hitters even though people downplay them.

I think the new leadership has finally shined a positive light on the Xbox division at Microsoft so that’s good. Money seems to be flowing into the division in rivers and that’s good too.

Compete with Sony on equal footing? Even with the above, the answer is no. Sony is a global brand company. MS is not other than Windows. They will never have the global market share that Sony has and with 100 million PS4s out there, they have a rock solid fan base to start the next gen.

Xcloud and game pass could be the dark horse though...As long as they can keep getting great 3rd party content on there and start releasing some polished bad ass 1st party games, this could be their knight in shining green armor.

Klayzer

Probably start equally at first, but PS will pull away eventually. The better question is: How many toxic green slanted polls will the GallupX surveyors make before e3 arrives? Vote now!

Klayzer

MS has plenty of great games with a whole bunch of new studios preparing to make more, and Halo and Gears are still heavy hitters even though people downplay them.

I think the new leadership has finally shined a positive light on the Xbox division at Microsoft so that’s good. Money seems to be flowing into the division in rivers and that’s good too.

Compete with Sony on equal footing? Even with the above, the answer is no. Sony is a global brand company. MS is not other than Windows. They will never have the global market share that Sony has and with 100 million PS4s out there, they have a rock solid fan base to start the next gen.

Xcloud and game pass could be the dark horse though...As long as they can keep getting great 3rd party content on there and start releasing some polished bad ass 1st party games, this could be their knight in shining green armor.
I think that's the opinion a lot of reasonable media and gamers have.

leo-j

PS3 was outselling the Xbox 360 every month the last third of the generation and ended up outselling the 360 in the end.

Why?

Stronger first party
Stronger value for ur buck with blu ray

This gen despite the Xbox one being 219.99 with a free game it’s getting outsold by the more expensive ps4 3:1 world wide as we end the final bits of this gen. Right now it’s sony’s World.

Fbh

The major factors tipping the balance towards one system or the other has been screwups with the reveal and initial concept of the console:
- Ps3: Underwhelming reveal, high price, hard to work with hardware which more often than not resulted in worse multiplatform performance (specially early on), crappy early exclusives.
- Xb1: Underwhelming reveal, unwanted DRM features that despite going away hurt the hype and image of the system, forced Kinect made it more expensive than the Ps4 despite having weaker hardware.

So I think until we have seen the reveal event of both systems and get oficial info on price and specs it's too early to tell.

Last edited:

Foxbat

Banned
Xbox has been chasing down the PS4 all gen. Not really sales wise... Just in features and weaknesses.

Without even mentioning the xb1's screw ups during launch, the PS4 had more hype, and probably deservedly so. Everyone, casual and hardcore alike were comparing the two. The PS4's UI was snappy. The XB1's was a mess. The PS4 had a share button, it was easy to record clips, It had a touchpad, it had cool blinky lights on the DS4. It could record more than twice as much video as the XB1. It was more powerful, and cost less. Exclusives don't matter as much real early in most gens because neither console has a bunch of them.

Over this gen, MS has slowly but surely tracked down and corrected every advantage the PS4 had. It increased the recording time, it made it easier to record, it overhauled the UI. Once it was discovered that nobody liked the blinky lights, and that the TouchPad wasnt being utilized, MS made the elite, which is just in a different league than the DS4. PSNOW's limited streaming of a few PS2 games was outclassed by MS introducing BC. It corrected the power disadvantage with the X, and improved the base model to the S. MS now offers the most powerful console, and the cheapest.

As MS corrected these issues one by one all gen long, the Sony faithful have had less and less points to hang their hat on up until now. Now you'll hear that "the exclusive games are all that matters." Just look at the previous posts so far in this thread. DF comparisons don't matter as much anymore. BC doesn't really matter anymore. (Who wants to play old games right?) Power doesn't matter anymore. No... the exclusive games are all that matters, because that's the last thing left that MS hasn't corrected yet. But MS is currently working on that. While Sony has shed studios this gen, MS has been obtaining them lately, creating new ones, and massively expanding the ones they had. Going by recent history, MS will correct that issue as well.

But it takes time to develop games, so we'll just have to play the waiting game to find out if they are as good as Sony's. Next gen, the PS5 will be flush with sequels to games that you've already played.... Much like the XB1 was this gen. HZD 2, Tlou 2 will likely get a remaster, another GoW probably, and maybe a couple of others. Meanwhile, the next Xbox will be flush with all new ip's that these newly aquired studios will create, but they'll also have their sequels as well.

Will the next Xbox outsell the PS5? Probably not. The PS brand has huge following. Will the next Xbox have the better console next gen? Judging by the last few years, it's looking more and more likely.

Well, yes and no.

Yes in a very big sense that they're both starting from 0. When two competitive products launch aside each other, you have to sell them and I question if Sony could now have the same goliath head start that they have had this generation.

Consider the Microsoft of today is not Microsoft that launched the XBOX One. Phil Spencer is a clued up leader who has a vision and he's influential enough within Microsoft that he's turning around a business that at one point looked like it was going to call time, alongside Lumia and Bing. The XBOX One S hardware revision was a huge breath of fresh air and the XBOX One X is an ambitious statement to show that Microsoft are serious about gaming. You cannot deny the value XBOX Game Pass offers it's customers, nor that XBOX Live is still a solid service. xCloud is on it's way and I do believe Microsoft can deliver a competent product there and all things in the Microsoft world appear to be looking up.

Consumers have far more confidence in Microsoft than they did at the beginning of the generation and I rarely see bad press highlighting the misgivings they have made. Their studio and talent acquisition is now paying dividends to that by proving that Microsoft are willing to invest in this sector and they're willing to do so indiscriminately by acquiring content and developers that are known for multiplatform development, shockingly more-so with Ninja Theory who have a great relationship with Sony, even if it was soured a little with Heavenly Sword 2 being cancelled. Whilst we aren't going to see immediate rewards for this investment, I do believe that Microsoft are going to allow a lot of creative freedom and have faith in their tried and tested development studios.

My concern for Microsoft is a simple one and that is simply that hardware does not make sense for them anymore. They have acquired Mojang and MineCraft and continue to allow it to be enjoyed on all platforms. A consumer friendly move but at the height of it's popularity would have sold millions of systems. They have acquired Ninja Theory, Obsidian and inXile and are still releasing their products on competitors systems when in reality they should be restricting that to their own system and leveraging that content to sell consoles. This is equally affirmed with the news that Microsoft studios are developing content for Nintendo Switch, likely in the event that they drop hardware and literally become the next SEGA.

Equally Microsoft cannot rely on mediocre exclusives to sell systems. I cannot deny that Re-Core, Crackdown 3, Dead Rising 4 and other XBOX One exclusives are good games, they are quality in their own way and are not necessarily bad games. Well, some of them are but that's a matter of taste. But these titles pale in comparison to God of War, Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, Horizon etc. The Sony first party line up is as strong as ever and it's hard to compete with. They have massive marketing pushes and Sony as a whole have hundreds of Game of the Year awards for industry and consumer recognition. I do not believe Microsoft have had the same attention to their software line-up since Halo 3. Cancelling Scale Bound I think is a huge mistake for them as it's the only thing for a long time that interested me in their platform and I've never owned an XBOX console.

Microsoft feels like a good comparison to SEGA.
  • SEGA Master System - Microsoft XBOX (Both enjoyed minor success but led to bigger things.)
  • SEGA MegaDrive/Genesis - XBOX 360 (Arguably both companies most successful products.)
  • SEGA Saturn - XBOX One (Not really a major success story for either company and the start of major decline.)
  • SEGA DreamCast - ??? (This one concerns me, I believe another poor console will kill Microsoft's interests as it did SEGA.)
For this very reason I believe another console that isn't a huge success will prevent Phil for continuing his mean streak and stop the higher ups at Microsoft investing money into a platform. I believe they'll see far more financial gains from multiplatform development and licencing the XBOX brand. We learn from the past to predict the future.

Sony on the other hand have everything to lose and their current lack of communication is really going to hurt them. They've been hurtling down the track on the hype train at 400 miles per hour since the PlayStation 4 came out and each year has been a bigger and bigger blockbuster. Until 2017 when that train seemed to run out of steam. The company has had large amounts of bad press associated with it, from the Naughty Dog sexual harassment scandal which still has not been 100% confirmed to be truth or lies, Quantic Dream and Detroit garnered bad news from the studios working standards, employee treatment, 'likening androids to the slave trade' and promoting 'domestic abuse.' They received less than stellar press for their new direction to cross play, their censorship to products etc.

Their line up seems to be coming to an end for PlayStation 4, but after Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us II and Death Stranding, what is next? The company has been so hush hush since the disappointing E3 2017 that E3 2018 was even more lack lustre, they cancelled PSX and have rarely been attending trade shows with such a big presence. 2019 should have been the year Sony curb stomped Microsoft and stood head and shoulders above their competitors but their silence I believe, is allowing them to get a good foothold back into the market. No news isn't necessarily bad news but the lack there-of news can be concerning. I don't doubt Sony have every ability to pull off an amazing product and the people working behind PlayStation have had their Icarus moment as Shawn Layden so aptly put it but we are due some news and update on where we're actually at with a promise of 'more coming soon' and nothing for months on end.

With state of play tomorrow I wonder what will change. Not attending E3 2019 and radio silence has me a little concerned but uncertainty does lead to FUD. Whatever happens, they irrefutably smashed it this generation. They need to continue that into PlayStation V and ahead.

Last edited:
They have acquired Mojang and MineCraft and continue to allow it to be enjoyed on all platforms. A consumer friendly move but at the height of it's popularity would have sold millions of systems. They have acquired Ninja Theory, Obsidian and inXile and are still releasing their products on competitors systems when in reality they should be restricting that to their own system and leveraging that content to sell consoles. This is equally affirmed with the news that Microsoft studios are developing content for Nintendo Switch, likely in the event that they drop hardware and literally become the next SEGA.

You don't take an IP that makes billions of dollars like Minecraft, cut it's install base and interest by making it a console exclusive, than end up only making millions of dollars not coming close to making back what was spend on the purchase.

Some of the games from the studios were already releasing and Microsoft purchased them after those games, some are on contract. Would be a bad image to yank them, especially since none of their upcoming games are major projects, those are coming to the next Xbox.

Your comparisons with Sega are also ludacris.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This OP implies that they're on equal footing. They're not and not even close. Sony has far too much of an advantage and it's not realistic to think that if things stay where they are, that many exclusive Sony owners will just jump ship to Xbox.

If all stays the same Sony will dominate again.

Here is what would need to happen to give MS a chance:
1. Release their system before Sony. If Sony releases their system first, then forget about it.
2. Have some very solid exclusives ready to go at launch. MS acquired a lot of studios for exclusive content and many of them need to deliver.
3. Sony has to drop the ball in price.
4. Sony decides not to support BC, but all indications are that they will support it.

If those things happen, MS might have a chance.

Otherwise, Sony will win and it likely won't be close.

To be fair to MS, Sony winning doesn't automatically mean they will have the better product.

Last edited:
PS3 was outselling the Xbox 360 every month the last third of the generation and ended up outselling the 360 in .

It didn't outsell the 360, ex-sony brass (at the top of the chain) in interviews also dodge that question and he left in 2017, it's not a thing, we have estimates and that's it, and the estimates don't even include the 360's last full year, and only include one country for the year before.

I don’t think it’s possible for Sony to lose the console market.

The mainstream steaming market tho... they prolly will. Here in clueless Neogaf think these streaming gaming services aren’t going to be a thing. I don’t see how it won’t be. My sister doesn’t have a console. But she wants to play Detroit: Become Human. Stadia can really help consumers like her.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
No, because if VR continues to gain market penetration then Xbox will be caught with their pants down, while the PS brand will still have a cheaper legacy option (PS4 PS VR) plus whatever new VR Sony decides to cook up for PS5.

Sony is already the market leader in the major area where Microsoft wants to push (game streaming).

In spite of their stumbles, Sony has maintained its popularity this gen and I can't think of anything major that would prevent a victory lap with PS5. Microsoft completely squandered the massive brand loyalty and Xbox service loyalty from the 360 years. Sony has more-or-less made up that gap in online subscription service during this generation.

Unlike with Xbox One, Microsoft won't be able to launch Xbox Two with the reputation of offering a significantly-better online service. Both services are pretty similar, so it's a matter of what brands are available on the console itself.

This OP implies that they're on equal footing. They're not and not even close. Sony has far too much of an advantage/QUOTE]

Not only are you apparently not capable of reading the thread title, which doesn't imply what you said, but you are also saying in an objective tone that the PS has an advantage before any info comes out.

It's clear what the OP is talking about, where they will be out the gate and IF this will be the first time they are even out the gate without a major screw up giving the opponent a clear advantage. Take the fanboy goggles off.

In spite of their stumbles, Sony has maintained its popularity this gen and I can't think of anything major that would prevent a victory lap with PS5. Microsoft completely squandered the massive brand loyalty and Xbox service loyalty from the 360 years. .

VR was funny enough, but the fact you think that Microsoft basically gained no good will the last 3 years and can't get it's old audience back despite outselling the 360 for around 4 years and ending this gen (before the new consoles come out not LTD) around less than 10 million from the 360 (which had Kinect) in the same time frame is completely ludicrous.

I think it's very likely outside a screw up they will both have an even fresh start with the new consoles.

But she wants to play Detroit: Become Human. Stadia can really help consumers like her.

Detroit is Epic Store exclusive,

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Since you love telling people I don't read I'll highlight what you chose not to read from my previous quote.

1. Release their system before Sony. If Sony releases their system first, then forget about it.
2. Have some very solid exclusives ready to go at launch. MS acquired a lot of studios for exclusive content and many of them need to deliver.
4. Sony decides not to support BC, but all indications are that they will support it.

To be fair to MS, Sony winning doesn't automatically mean they will have the better product.

Respond to that, please kind sir.

Last edited:

onQ123

PS4 & Xbox One are damn near the same console & Microsoft was coming off of the Xbox 360 their most successful console while Sony was coming off of their least successful console the PS3. What make you think next gen is going to be anymore even than this generation?

if anything this will be the generation when they move away from being the HD Twins & come with completely different approaches.

HeresJohnny

PS4 & Xbox One are damn near the same console & Microsoft was coming off of the Xbox 360 their most successful console while Sony was coming off of their least successful console the PS3. What make you think next gen is going to be anymore even than this generation?

if anything this will be the generation when they move away from being the HD Twins & come with completely different approaches.
Yep, and on top of that, Microsoft seems poised to make all kinds of ridiculous gambles this generation, like streaming and all digital, which is going to confuse and fracture its base. Plus I have serious doubts about their pricing strategy, I would not be at all surprised to see another $500 box from them, which would be a disaster. They've gotten waaaaay too cozy with that $500 pricepoint -- they launched the original Xbone at that price as well as the X. $500 consoles are not competitive in the market.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
VR was funny enough, but the fact you think that Microsoft basically gained no good will the last 3 years and can't get it's old audience back despite outselling the 360 for around 4 years and ending this gen (before the new consoles come out not LTD) around less than 10 million from the 360 (which had Kinect) in the same time frame is completely ludicrous.
How about you refute what I said instead of resorting to your normal antics?

I never said it "gained no good will in the last 3 years", but it's interesting that you use this as your defense. Why 3 years? What about gaining goodwill in the last 13 years since 360 launched? Is it because the brand was damaged by something between then and now?

I never said it "can't get it's old audience back", but here you're already implying that the old audience left for some reason. Hmm. What could that be?

I know you think you're a good debater, but you're teetering on shitposter quality. Don't make threads to bait people and then shout at them with non-answers when you don't like what they said. If you have any facts you'd like to reference, please begin. Otherwise, quit with this hysterical feet-stomping.

And I'm telling you this because I genuinely don't think it's an act, so perhaps it's time someone informs you how you come across.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
brah this was your post:

This is a false statement, the rest of your post is irrelevant, you can't spin that, learn to read.
Sir, please quit being disrespectful.

FStubbs

Sony proved just last gen that even when they screw up in every way possible and Microsoft does their best, Sony will still beat them. Non English speaking countries just aren't interested in Xbox.

it's funny you say this since you dismiss my post and don't refute me at all.

I never said it "gained no good will in the last 3 years"

You implied it gained no good will at all by saying they squandered their base in a matter that clearly suggests it was permanent. You clearly aren't good at this debate thing if you're going to play semantics instead of addressing the flaw with your claim.

I never said it "gained no good will in the last 3 years", but it's interesting that you use this as your defense. Why 3 years? What about gaining goodwill in the last 13 years since 360 launched? Is it because the brand was damaged by something between then and now?

I never said it "can't get it's old audience back",

As i described above, you're not actually refuting that you did say something like this, you're using semantics and saying "didn't exactly say these words in the quote" because you literally can't deny the fact you clearly made the implication they can't get the audience back, otherwise you never would have typed "Microsoft completely squandered the massive brand loyalty and Xbox service loyalty from the 360 years ", which clearly means you believe they lost people from the 360 in a context that implies that they won't be able to get them back. Stop playing games and leave the kitchen if it's hot.

And I'm telling you this because I genuinely don't think it's an act, so perhaps it's time someone informs you how you come across.

You post like this all the time, you don't actually address flaws or charges against you you run and either play semantics, or try and insult the user trying to be sly and then remove yourself from the conversation without every really trying to have any discussion. Like I said, to hot leave the kitchen.

Sorry, you don't get to make a false statement than avoid being called out on it by posting an irrelevant post that moves the goal posts. That's not how discourse works.

I'll be glad to discuss another topic with you if you address your first claim, which was objectively false.

But we don't even know anything official about their next gen consoles yet...?

The thread is WILL THEY be on equal footing, and I go over in the OP I think it's possible unless one screws up. I think that it's likely that they will both release similar to each other with their visions clearly implemented and launching with out any real complaints about any of their strategies or policies.

People here though seem to be changing thread to "will xbox possibly beat Sony next gen" which isn't what this is about. But some people have agendas.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Sorry, you don't get to make a false statement than avoid being called out on it by posting an irrelevant post that moves the goal posts. That's not how discourse works.

I'll be glad to discuss another topic with you if you address your first claim, which was objectively false.
Sir it is very rude and disresptful of you to not answer my well thought out post. I made a great post and you should at least respond to it.

Thank you.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
it's funny you say this since you dismiss my post and don't refute me at all.

You implied it gained no good will at all by saying they squandered their base in a matter that clearly suggests it was permanent.
Squandering is not a permanent statement. Once again, you blame others for your own problems (like inability to read) and then whine when someone calls you out on it.

Squandering implies they had a lot of something and then they wasted it. In this case, good will. Specifically, they squandered this good will on Kinect, Kinect 2, and the launch debacle.

You clearly aren't good at this debate thing if you're going to play semantics instead of addressing the flaw with your claim.

As i described above, you're not actually refuting that you did say something like this, you're using semantics and saying "didn't exactly say these words in the quote" because you literally can't deny the fact you clearly made the implication they can't get the audience back, otherwise you never would have typed "Microsoft completely squandered the massive brand loyalty and Xbox service loyalty from the 360 years ", which clearly means you believe they lost people from the 360 in a context that implies that they won't be able to get them back. Stop playing games and leave the kitchen if it's hot.

You post like this all the time, you don't actually address flaws or charges against you you run and either play semantics, or try and insult the user trying to be sly and then remove yourself from the conversation without every really trying to have any discussion. Like I said, to hot leave the kitchen.
Hmm. I missed any part of your post that made a point. Just a bunch of insults and accusations. You have fallen in love with your own delusions and whatever you interpret something to mean.

This is why you consistently put words into people's mouth, accuse them of things they didn't say, all while never making any point based on reality. It's not just me. There are other posters in the thread trying to be patient with you and all you do is lash out at them.

You have some serious anger problems, but I'm not really interested in playing therapist for you when you just insult and waste everyone's time.

Turn off the computer and take a walk outside. I've given you enough to think on already but it's clearly flying above your head right now, which is why you can't help but continue lashing out.

Top Bottom