• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

will Nintendo secure more market share this Holiday?

king zell

well of course they will.. but the question is by how much?

Nintendo DS aside

in Japan of course.. gamecube's situation will be much better than US.. major big name titles with high appeal are mostly confirmed to hit by the end of the year :

Super Robot Taisen (as popular as Gundam)
Resident Evil 4 (Capcom's biggest title)
Naruto 3 (the anime just keeps getting more fans)

and of course nintendo's stuff :

Mario Tennis
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
Mario Party 6

now we know the GBA will do at least as good as last year with the price cut and upcoming games in consideration (Zelda, Kingdom's heart, Fire Emblem, Wario Ware2)

lets take a look at last years sales and try to predict NDS's

total hardware sales (MC) -- 1 Nov 2003 to 4 Jan 2004

Playstation 2 : 1,038,600
Gamecube : 600,600
GBA + SP : 885,100
Xbox : 23,660
DS (predicted) : 400,000

market sahre (Japan) :

Nintendo = 58% (2003) -- 64% (2004)
Sony = 41% (2003) -- 35% (2004)
Microsoft = 1% (2003) -- 1% (2004)

---------------------------------------------------------------

now lets look at US this time..

Xbox is doing way better than last year with Gamecube doing way worst.. but of course Gamecube is still many Families favourite specially with drums and mics this year.. also PS2 got a new design and xbox has Halo 2.. I will try to show the effect in my predictions..

prediction for Nov and Dec sales of this year :

Xbox : 1,800,000
Playstation 2 : 3,000,000
Gamecube : 1,000,000
GBA + SP : 3,200,000
Nintendo DS : 800,000

market share (US) :

Nintendo : 51%
Sony : 31%
Microsoft : 18%

---------------------------------------------------------------

I want to know what do you people think too :)

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I don't think GameCube will sell that well in the US. There's no hype for it. NOA needs some serious changes if they want to be successful the rest of this gen or next. If the US is the main market expanding in video games, why is Nintendo steadily losing sales and userbase? It's because NOA's management sucks. It seems to me that Arakawa guy or whatever his name was that retired shortly after GC's launch had a better understanding of the market over here. I can't believe Nintendo has let this go on this long. Hopefully they'll address the problem before its too late.

Top Bottom