• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Sony’s output pick back up next year?

Umbasaborne

Banned
Speaking strictly about 1st party, This definitely feels like a slower year for PlayStation. We’ve grown pretty acustom to getting multiple first party games from them a year, but 2023 feels like the year they are feeling the effects of covid the hardest.

Their only non mlb first party game this year is spiderman, I think sony also considered burning shores to be a major release for them, but that was dlc. Compared to last year when we had gran turismo, horizon, the last of us part 1, and god of war ragnarok. Even though some of those games were delayed into 2022, In 2021 we still got rereleases of ghosts of Tsushima and Death Stranding, along with returnal and ratchet & clank. 2020 saw the last of us 2, ghosts of Tsushima, spider-man miles morales, and the demons souls remake.

Was the last of us factions intended to be the other 2023 game before that got upended? Just feels like a weirdly slow year for them. Thankfully not as slow as Microsoft was in 2022 when they had absolutely nothing except pentiment .

Fingers crossed that this year was a flub due to covid, and by next year they will be back to their regular release cadence of 2-4 first party games a year

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
When October ends my PS5 exclusives played this year are 2 games. That is it. Amazing output. Safe to say, it'll suck next year as well. As a high-end PC gamer owner, I regret myPS5 purchase. I think 10 games is the total of games played on it in the last 3? years and most were upgraded ps4 versions. Xbox is in the same boat. Why even buy a console these days when game devs are pushing for raytracing and tech that consoles cant even handle. Well considering the recent PC ports, I guess nothing handles them. Seems we just got used to crumbs of good shit.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
When October ends my PS5 exclusives played this year are 2 games. That is it. Amazing output. Safe to say, it'll suck next year as well. As a high-end PC gamer owner, I regret myPS5 purchase. I think 10 games is the total of games played on it in the last 3? years and most were upgraded ps4 versions. Xbox is in the same boat. Why even buy a console these days when game devs are pushing for raytracing and tech that consoles cant even handle. Well considering the recent PC ports, I guess nothing handles them. Seems we just got used to crumbs of good shit.
the best reason to buy a PS5 is because you don’t have a high-end PC. But yeah if you do have a decent PC then this console generation can feel pretty superfluous.

I got a PS5 in 2021 and barely ever use it. I’m not super interested in Sony first party except for Gran Turismo 7 which is awesome. Only reason I held on to PS5 this long is to play Final Fantasy XVI at launch, but after seeing how it turned out I would’ve rather waited for the PC version. I might just sell it when I finish FF XVI.

Killer8

Too much of their first-party is clouded in secrecy to know.

Team Asobi's game is surely far along (4 years after the release of Astro's Playroom next year). Wouldn't be surprised to see something new from Hoursemarque soon. Media Molecule's next game could pop up whenever.

I hope the games that aren't known about are good because the live service games they showed off are vague at best and look putrid at their worst.

ZehDon

Gold Member
According to Jim Ryan, two releases is the intended norm moving forward. Note, this just means exclusives, not necessarily Sony titles - so this year, it was Final Fantasy XVI and Spider-man 2. If we get more than that, terrific - but given their USD$220m price tags, I don't think Sony will in a hurry to drop lots of first party titles in one year. They want to give them big marketing pushes and room to make back that money.

Mr Hyde

I want to see what Bluepoint is working on. That's the only thing of interest right now, coming from Sony. Seems like there will be a couple of dark years ahead with the extreme GaaS focus. Maybe Naughty Dog can crank out something fresh next year, but the studio seems to be in shambles with no clear direction.

If Sony didn’t own Sucker Punch I’d probably just sell the thing at this point. But I’m gonna need Ghost of Tsushima 2 or whatever is next from them whenever it happens, and it won’t be worth spending $600 to get another one, so might as well just hold on to it and hope for more.

Topher

Gold Member
Honestly, this is the least I've been excited for Sony's first party output in years. Spider-man 2 will be great......and then what? No idea what Sucker Punk has up. Naughty Dog as well. What has Corey Barlog been doing? Don't know anything about Wolverine. Guerrilla isn't having anything anytime soon.

Where are you, Sony?

vivftp

According to Jim Ryan, two releases is the intended norm moving forward. Note, this just means exclusives, not necessarily Sony titles - so this year, it was Final Fantasy XVI and Spider-man 2. If we get more than that, terrific - but given their USD$220m price tags, I don't think Sony will in a hurry to drop lots of first party titles in one year. They want to give them big marketing pushes and room to make back that money.

2 or more major titles is the stated goal, and they're talking about first party, not exclusive deals. This year those two would be Destiny 2 Lightfall and Spider-Man 2.

For all we know the reality could be 3 to 4 going forward, but Jim was speaking to investors and we are in a year where they had 2, so no matter what they would have to give 2 as the minimum figure.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Honestly, this is the least I've been excited for Sony's first party output in years. Spider-man 2 will be great......and then what? No idea what Sucker Punk has up. Naughty Dog as well. What has Corey Barlog been doing? Don't know anything about Wolverine. Guerrilla isn't having anything anytime soon.

Where are you, Sony?
My biggest let down with sony is the amount of ip they just up and abandoned. Infamous and killzone hurt particularly bad

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Games take many years to make. Slow periods are guaranteed to happen after Sony’s studios released a flurry of titles.

The current focus is on getting GaaS titles out, so maybe a couple years after those hit would be realistic.

Topher

Gold Member
My biggest let down with sony is the amount of up they just up and abanoned. Infamous and killzone hurt particularly bad

Yeah, and it's a travesty that what is left of those IPs are, for the most part, dying on the PS3 vine. What I would give for an Infamous 1 and 2 remaster.

Hopefully, they should have a lot of cool stuff cooking. I’m just worried a lot if it will be GAAS/uninteresting..

My fear as well.

It's a little concerning with getting all these GAAS games out being their primary focus now.

Would love to be surprised. Either a new IP or a revival of a dormant one.

Ar¢tos

If Sony didn’t own Sucker Punch I’d probably just sell the thing at this point. But I’m gonna need Ghost of Tsushima 2 or whatever is next from them whenever it happens, and it won’t be worth spending $600 to get another one, so might as well just hold on to it and hope for more.
With the path their 1st games are taking of ultra emotional slow story first and gameplay second, I have very little hopes for GoT2.

mrmustard

Banned
My biggest let down with sony is the amount of ip they just up and abandoned. Infamous and killzone hurt particularly bad
k3LkzDy.jpg

When October ends my PS5 exclusives played this year are 2 games. That is it. Amazing output. Safe to say, it'll suck next year as well. As a high-end PC gamer owner, I regret myPS5 purchase. I think 10 games is the total of games played on it in the last 3? years and most were upgraded ps4 versions
The game release output for next gen has been terrible and people are still begging to drop another $500+ on PS5 pro lol.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’ve had an excellent time with my PS5. Judging by this, Spider-Man 2 should be a huge disappointment because Assassin’s Creed, AC6, a new CoD, BG3, and various other games are better elsewhere? There will be a lot to choose from on Black Friday. I can’t imagine every PS owner owns the same games month after month. Imagine competing with the market too.

It’s like going through your library of PS games and tossing everything in the trash while at the same time saying “what’s next?, what’s next?”.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Games take many years to make. Slow periods are guaranteed to happen after Sony’s studios released a flurry of titles.

This. People need to wrap their heads around the idea that a 3 year turnaround is now end, and can easily stretch past 5 years on the biggest and most complex titles.

The current focus is on getting GaaS titles out, so maybe a couple years after those hit would be realistic.

All the GaaS stuff is either coming from new acquisitions or from studios who have prior experience in the field. The one outlier is ND with TLOU factions, and that's mitigated by ongoing work on the remasters plus whatever their next major project is going to be. Its an addition to, not a replacement for, their core output.

The premise of GaaS also is long-term income, so launch timing is less crucial than one of their major single-player offerings where they absolutely need a strong start because launch window is where the majority of the investment is recouped.

Sony's playbook isn't hard to read.

I think they plan to do a mix of first and third party exclusives so they never have a down year.
Seems kinda knit-picky to me to just focus on technicalities like it must be a first party release.

vivftp

I think perspective is always a nice thing to have, so I'll paste this post I had made a while back. The list comes from the known/rumored games outlined in the Era PS OT. I hope it'll give you a better idea of what SIE are working on both from first party an XDEV partners:

Orange is confirmed
Blue is rumored/speculated

- TLOU Online - Naughty Dog
- Neil Druckmanns new game - Naughty Dog

- TLOU Part 2 remaster/remake/DC - Naughty Dog
- TLOU Part 3 - Naughty Dog
- New Uncharted game - Naughty Dog possibly in collab with someone else like VASG

- Cory Barlogs new game - Santa Monica Studio
- Ghost of Tsushima sequel - Sucker Punch
- New IP - Bend Studios
- MLB 24 - San Diego Studios
- Spider-Man 2 - Insomniac
- Wolverine - Insomniac
- Multiplayer title - Insomniac
- Project with original content - Bluepoint
- Fairgame$ - Haven
- Concord - Firewalk

- Horizon MP game - Guerrilla
- Horizon Zero Dawn Remaster - Guerrilla

- New Project - Media Molecule
- Live Service Title - London Studios
- New IP - Housemarque

- Twisted Metal - Firesprite
- Dark Narrative Adventure - Firesprite

- 3D Action Game - Asobi
- Destiny 2: The Final Shape - Bungie
- Marathon - Bungie

- New IP - Bungie
- DS2 - KojiPro
- Firewall Ultra - First Contact
- Helldivers 2 - Arrowhead
- Rise of the Ronin - Team Ninja
- Stellar Blade - Shift Up
- KOTOR - Saber
- Lost Soul Aside - Ultizero
- Convallaria - Loong Force

So that's 34 games from the OP, 25 confirmed and 9 rumored. From that confirmed list, 16 titles have had teasers/trailers/images officially shown.

Now the above doesn't include other speculated or rumored projects like games from:

- Ember Lab
- Ballastic Moon
- From Software
- Sumo Digital
- A new game from Savage Game Studios
- Strategy game from Valkyrie
- Project Ooze

So that's a potential list of 41 projects underway from SIE's first party and XDEV. In reality the list could be even larger, but that's at least something for us to start with. For example it's very likely that work is underway on the next God of War game and the next mainline Horizon game, but they're not on the list for now. We also don't know if the Horizon MMORPG that NCSoft are working on is the same as the Horizon MP game that Guerrilla are working on or if it's a separate game entirely.

If we add in third party exclusive titles (timed or otherwise) then we can further include:

FF7 Rebirth
Foamstars
Silent Hill 2 Remake

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Just find a nice GAAS and settle down with it for a year or five. You people burn through games like it's going out of style. My God, it's not healthy.
I'm shocked that so many people have seemingly sold off their old consoles 😭. So many good games to play, my backlog is neverending and there's still some fantastic games in the PS3 store that aren't available in the PS4/5 store.

I honestly can't even fathom sitting around and waiting for only current gen games, I'd probably stop gaming entirely.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That is one absolutely depressing statement.

Agree with the sentiment someone else expressed, it’s completely pointless owning a PS5 or Xbox now.
A depressing statement? 2 big exclusives each year is pretty much the norm. Some years you would get 3…

I don’t understand how people can have expectations beyond that. What world do y’all live in?

Imagine being Xbox exclusive. They’d kill for Sonys output.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Same here though because Blizzard is a piece of shit developer and wouldn't put co-op on PC, I bought Diablo on PS5 so I could play with my son. The PS5 is basically me spending over 600 bucks on hardware to play a few games 18 months earlier at a lower quality.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Fingers crossed that this year was a flub due to covid, and by next year they will be back to their regular release cadence of 2-4 first party games a year
Unlikely. They said Wolverine is a 2024 game but lets face it, it is getting delayed. The fact that we didnt see anything from it and DS2 is a big giant red flag.

What you will see next year are games that were revealed this year. And that means all GaaS trash.

Their Single player AAA studios will likely take next year off and come back with a vengeance in 2025. I posted this in another thread.

Here is their potential 2025-2027 lineup not including any GaaS trash.

Death Stranding 2
Wolverine
Bluepoint's next remake
Astrobot 2

Ghost of Tsushima 2
The Last of Us 3
Sony Bend's new IP
Media molecule's new IP

Horizon 3
Housemarque new IP
Cory Barlog's new IP
Gran Turismo 8

Best case scenario, you move up all games a year and 2024 is a fairly decent one, but lets face it, and it will be the worst case scenario and you're looking at a one year delay for each of these games. If it took SSM, GG an PD 5 years to make last gen games, it will likely take them 6 years to make next gen only games.

Top Bottom