• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will the PS5 have the best launch year exclusive lineup in history?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deanington

Launch year? Headlined by a remake of a PS3 game and a remaster of a two year old PS4 game? Nah, not even close, OP.

Nintendo 64 had, in its first year:
  • Killer Instinct Gold
  • Mark Kart 64
  • Pilotwings 64
  • Super Mario 64
  • Wave Race 64
And, if I can fudge the dates just a little, I can squeeze Blast Corps and Bomberman 64 into that time period as well.

OG Xbox had, in its first year:
  1. Halo: Combat Evolved
  2. Dead or Alive 3
  3. Fuzion Frenzy
  4. Project Gotham Racing
  5. Max Payne
  6. Blood Wake
  7. Jet Set Radio Future
  8. Morrowind
  9. Blinx The Time Sweeper
That's a muderer's row - and those are just the exclusives that I own, not including third party titles. Xbox 360 had, in its first year:
  1. Call of Duty 2
  2. Condemned: Criminal Origins
  3. Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved
  4. Kameo Elements of Power
  5. Dead or Alive 4
  6. Dead Rising
  7. Just Cause
  8. Perfect Dark Zero
  9. Project Gotham Racing 3
  10. Quake 4
  11. Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
  12. Oblivion
  13. Tomb Raider: Legend
  14. Saints Row
  15. Viva Pinata (right on the line)
You'd kill for a first year like that today.

Now, obviously the PS5's first year isn't finished done yet, so there's likely to be more surprises before November 2021, but up against just the above? PS5 is already last place. It's certainly got a more packed first year than the Xbox Series X - which is literally launching without a single first party title. So, hey, there's that.

Damn did Xbox slay back then. Og Xbox was such a great system. I think Silent Hill 2 extended version was within the first year for og xbox too. Also, Splinter Cell was like 5 days after launch in 2002, not within the year but close.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom