• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will we ever see an Elite Beat Agents 2/Ouendan 3?

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
DNVA5xF.gif

Elite Beat Agents and Ouendan are true DS gems that many people revisit frequently. Much like the Jump series of games, Ouendan is easy to play without extensive Japanese knowledge and is extremely addicting.
Elite Beat Agents proved that Americanizing quirky foreign titles was a possibility, boasting significant gameplay improvements and famous songs popular to the Western culture.
Then Ouendan 2 came out and rocked everyone's world by introducing a rival team, splitting up levels based on teams, and even going so far as to include the Elite Beat Agents as characters!
(It was a store promotion, but you can unlock them with Action Replay codes)

Regrettably, the developer iNiS hasn't touched the DS since 2007. Here's their current gaming projects in its sad state of affairs:
iNiS Games said:
  • Gitaroo Man (June 21, 2001)
  • Gundam Pilot Academy (Arcade, 2002)
  • Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan (Nintendo DS, July 28, 2005)
  • Gitaroo Man Lives! (PSP, June 8, 2006) (Would be nice if Gitaroo Man lived again!)
  • Rain Wonder Trip (PSP, July 6, 2006)
  • Elite Beat Agents (DS, November 6, 2006)
  • Moero! Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2 (DS, May 17, 2007)
  • Anata mo DS de Classic Kiite Mimasenka? (DS, July 5, 2007)
  • Lips (Xbox 360, November 18, 2008)
  • Lips: Number One Hits (Xbox 360, October 20, 2009)
  • Lips: Canta en Español (Xbox 360, November 13, 2009)
  • Lips: Deutsche Partyknaller (Xbox 360, 2009)
  • Lips: Party Classics (Xbox 360, February 26, 2010)
  • Lips: I ♥ The 80's (Xbox 360, April 2, 2010)
  • The Black Eyed Peas Experience (Xbox 360, November 8, 2011) (Really?)
  • Demons’ Score (iOS/Android, September 19, 2012)
  • Symphonica (iOS, October 18, 2012)
  • The Hip Hop Dance Experience (Xbox 360, November 13, 2012)
  • Karaoke (Xbox 360, December 11, 2012)

A lot of LIPS service (forgive me) but they never did return to the quality games they used to make.

Even if there was a new entry in either franchise it would most likely end up on the 3DS, region locking either title depending on where you live in the world. (Japan couldn't play EBA2, U.S. couldn't play Ouendan 3)

Regardless of such a paradox, it would be nice to at least have another DS Ouendan/EBA. Maybe Level-5 could grab the license and use the cool 3D graphics they used in AA5/Layton vs. Wright.

If only for the sake of the awesome Phoenix Wright/EBA fan Osu! crossover becoming reality.

Or something really awesome could happen.

5qF6xkR.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
They really should, EBA is my second favorite game on DS, and was infinitely playable. I was very surprised we didn't get a sequel years ago though, so who knows.

hmm. if they did make another, would it sell, considering that you can now play osu! for free

then again, people still bought ddr when stepmania existed, and gh/rock band when frets on fire existed

Fun games, I felt like japan got the superior edition, and I'm not even a jpop fan.

Too bad I suck so much I couldn't beat the final stage on normal in elite beat. I have no rhythm and I'm slow as hell.

mollipen

God; I wish. EBA and Ouendan 2 are two of the finest DS games around.

But.... out of three games, the one you didn't mention was the best one.

I hate to be a downer, but I'm not sure if I care. Love the series, but thanks to stupid region locking, if we do get a new Ouendan I'll never get to play it. And if it comes out as EBA2, I'll lose interest.

And, really, I liked the first Ouendan much more than the second, so I'm cautious about the potential for a third. Also, of course, I'm curious how the game would play out, as the games were reliant on the touchscreen for the main action in the game. Would it be "acceptable" if that happened again, and the 3D screen was mainly for storyline stuff?

This still brings back the terrible memories of trying to do Jump and Jack Flash on elite difficulty to beat the game. My hand still feels the pain from that experience. Actually I didn't really do it for the unlockable character, but more for just the achievement of being able to say "I did Jump n Jack Flash on the hardest difficulty."

Yup, I'm a boss I know.

Btw to answer the question I would love to see a second one. I always wondered if it wasn't popular enough to get a second one or something.

hmm. if they did make another, would it sell, considering that you can now play osu! for free

then again, people still bought ddr when stepmania existed, and gh/rock band when frets on fire existed

Probably, considering osu! plays like bum with a mouse.

If they released osu on the eShop with SD compatibility and stage creation (which screams "pipe dream" so loudly I think I'll go deaf), I'd be all over it like a hairy spider on an arachniphobe.

Het_Nkik

I just bought the two Ouendan games and I'm waiting for them to come in the mail so I'm not sure how good they are, but I do love EBA and I'd definitely be insterested in some more.

I'll only play them on my old DS Fat, though, because man these games are made to kill screens.

Fun games, I felt like japan got the superior edition, and I'm not even a jpop fan.

Too bad I suck so much I couldn't beat the final stage on normal in elite beat. I have no rhythm and I'm slow as hell.

My wife is the same way, I beat all three of the games on hardest difficulty, nearly cried tears of joy when I finally beat Ouendan 1. Maybe it was my mastery of them, but it sure seemed like EBA and 2 were a lot easier.

I hold the dubious honour of having S-Ranked every stage in EBA and Ouendan 2. Those two games absolutely consumed my summer in '07.

Malajax

Osu is kinda it's own thing though. A lot of the amps made for it are made with a mouse in mind, not a stylus. Lends itself to an entirely different style of game. Plus, many of the maps released are not that good compared to the originals. Though my opinion is moot, since I have touched the osu part of osu less than 10 times ever. Vastly prefer the taiko portion of the game.

Anyway, would love to see more, but I'm not holding my breath. I guess I'll pull out my copies and enjoy the memories. That reminds me that I bought the 1st Ouendan game for a friend, and he never liked it. Never got to buy it for myself :(

Goli

Demons' Score is the next best thing, the demons are super goofy and the song selection is quite nice. Too bad it's IAP ridden.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I think inis has been trapped in hell. The MS shlock and the lame ios game for Square make it all the sadder.

I hold the dubious honour of having S-Ranked every stage in EBA and Ouendan 2. Those two games absolutely consumed my summer in '07.

Can't say that about EBA, but can Ouendan 1 and 2. I did them first and burned myself out so badly I had to stop.

Also, no ring mode was too much for me. I'll stick to my cheer leaders.

Deft Beck

I'd love for there to be a sequel, but iNiS is sort of in an odd position right now. They're bouncing around from publisher to publisher making either licensed games or IAP-filled crap.

Didn't EBA bomb in the west? I'm sure I saw the price drop rather quick for it anyway...

And yes would love a sequel, perhaps with downloadable songs as well.
Was one of my first DS imports =D

Jintor

I lost my Ouendan 2 cart somewhere. Opened up my pack and it wasn't in there. Gonna have to rebuy and reperfect every song at some stage. Looking forward to it.

Alfredo

EBA was before companies were willing to give out their masters for games, which had them resort to covers, right? I'd live to see a new entry in the series with the actual original songs, plus a better track selection (AND DLC!).

Deft Beck

How was that iPhone rhythm game, anyway?

They made Demons' Score and Symphonica, both published by Square-Enix.

DS is an IAP-riddled fanservicey romp that I never finished because of how it was gouging me. Gameplay and music were alright but it wasn't that great.

Haven't played Symphonica, but it has a lot of IAPs, too.

EBA was before companies were willing to give out their masters for games, which had them resort to covers, right? I'd live to see a new entry in the series with the actual original songs, plus a better track selection (AND DLC!).
Aha because you hear the cover first before the real song, which pretty much means to YouTube later... I now find some songs sung by the original singer to be odd.
And gotta love Osu for Melody =D

iammeiam

The day they release Ouendan 3 is the day I import a 3DS from Japan. I know EBA super bombed, but I thought the Ouendan games sold tolerably and was always confused at the lack of followups.

I remember perfecting the final song on Ouendan 2 on 3rd hardest mode (Got all beats, not all 300s) and freaking out. The tune will be forever stuck in my head, despite not knowing what the fuck was being said haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM4M4F6qV3g

Why... why did you link that song? My god, I'm literally tearing up! Such fond memories of the game... I must dig it out now and see how badly my tapping arm has gotten.

Ouendan was amazing, EBA was amazing.

ANd I need them again in my life. Would kill for a WiiU version.

Well you see, Osu! plays like shit and all the charm of the stories and characters is completly gone.
The real games are not only amazing rhythm games on their own right, but also the use of characters and stories makes them something else. The funny stories with every day problems, the sad stories with the deaths of family members or friends that work so well with the songs played and the hype and frenetic inducing stories with the upbeat music of the endings, thats what makes Ouendan and EBA special.

Alfredo

Osu! Stream on iOS (and probably Android) is a pretty good Ouendan clone, but lacking in song selection.

I really just want someone with good ties to the music industry to just steal the idea and get tons of tracks for it (...Harmonix >_>).

Ouendan was amazing, EBA was amazing.

ANd I need them again in my life. Would kill for a WiiU version.

Well you see, Osu! plays like shit and all the charm of the stories and characters is completly gone.
The real games are not only amazing rhythm games on their own right, but also the use of characters and stories makes them something else. The funny stories with every day problems, the sad stories with the deaths of family members or friends that work so well with the songs played and the hype and frenetic inducing stories with the upbeat music of the endings, thats what makes Ouendan and EBA special.

Not to mention the chanting of "Ouendan Ouendan!" as all the characters from the previous songs come together and do things like blow up meteors or reignite the sun. My god, this thread is seriously nostalgia tripping me, it's hard to believe it was only a few years ago since i last played any of them.

I will admit it: EBA's Christmas stage was the first game to make me cry in years.

Like, not just tearing up. Flat out crying. The fact that I played it on Christmas Day made it even more touching. It totally caught me off guard.

Top Bottom