• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will we ever see Variable Rate Displays? [EDIT: YES.]

TheExodu5 is now going to start to lose his ability to type. In a few years he will have the communication skills of CBoaT.

TheExodu5

Banned
My old-ass Samsung TV (it's like 5 years old) has this technology. It's 60 Hz native, but it can do 24 Hz for movies.

Not the same at all. Your Samsung is displaying at 120Hz, displaying the same frame for multiple refreshes to effectively reproduce 60Hz and 24Hz. It's still operating at a constant refresh rate.

Correct me if I'm wrong but 120hz and above displays have no issues displaying content with a lower framerate?
EDIT: It would appear that I am wrong, and this was bumped as a result of the nvidia announcement. It still seems to me like a variable framerate display would be akin to the soap opera effect you get in other variable frametime scenarios.
Akin to the what now?

Ogimachi

*slow clap*

The fact that people ignored this completely makes it even more interesting. It really makes one wonder how many great ideas like this are rejected every day.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Well done, Exodu5! You now have to type all your posts in buttocksian :p

Congrats with the new tag as well!

Dennis

Banned
You know you are part of the NeoGAF cognitive elite when your thread gets zero replies because it is too complex.

You are tag-BOAT.

Nice tag :)

It's so nice that the few of us on GAF that always bitched about this stuff got taken seriously by Nvidia. I know we all got treated like we were crazy at one time or another.

And you get to say 'I'm not crazy, I'm gifted' and have this thread to back it up.

Skeyser

It would have been hilarious if a bunch of people had called OP an idiot for suggesting this and then a year later he came back for his vengeance.

mdrejhon

This is coincidence, or fate, but you were drawn in the G-SYNC contest.

You now own a G-SYNC Upgrade board. Congratulations!

antitrop

No fuckin' way. So much coincidence. It's fate.

Exodu5 is the chosen one. Lead us unto stutter-free gaming, oh chosen one.

badb0y

Only one explanation for all of this
attachment.php

mdrejhon

Only 34 people qualified for this site's G-SYNC giveaway, and there were 5 boards, so odds of winning one was actually fairly good, all things considered.

hemtae

There's some serious magic going down in this thread.

Somebody's going to be burned at the stake.

Cornbread78

Congrats man, but the real question is, will I ever get to use that 240hz that my 7000 series Samsung LED provides? ever?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

BOOM. TheExodu5 couldn't have hoped for a better outcome: he got a tag, a G-Sync board and the ability to predict the future and shape events to his will.

wildfire

Banned

Haha this thread continues to deliver. It's not Winnie the Pooh good or Adam Orth inflammatory but it has earned its distinction for being pure quality.

Top Bottom