• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will we see a AAA Next Gen MMORPG? Who will gamble on one? E3 Reveals?

JMZ555

Like a lot of people i'm always on the look out for a new MMORPG to play. It feels like its been a eternity since we had a good AAA MMORPG with modern graphics/combat, actual story cut scenes that dont look like they was made from the PS2 days.

WOW something like 15 years old

Final Fantasy 14 ARR: 6 years? 9 years for original.

Guild wars 2 :7 years

Elder Scolls Online : 5 years

Seems only Indie Developers are making them now but they either get stuck in development hell, turn out to be scams or just plain rubbish.

Looter Shooters are currently having there turn it seems. Which is cool as i have enjoyed some of them.

But question is who will gamble on making a AAA MMORPG?

Will it be final fantasy in 4 or so years after 14 has had another 2 or so expansions?

Will Blizzard finally create a new MMORPG? Looks doubtful as WOW still pulls in the cash.

Will a new Diablo expand into something closer to a MMORPG maybe?

What company do you think or would like to try a MMORPG?

Mista

Banned
A decent MMORPG can net lots of money, let alone a great one. I’m in for a new MMORPG. Quit WoW years ago, got bored from FF14, spent a lot of time in Diablo, GG2 is old today and ESO is rubbish. I need a new MMORPG! Black Desert is cool and I might invest time in it for now. I’d like to see Blizzard make a new MMORPG but everytime I remember that Activision will be involved, I nope the fuck out.

Last edited:

JMZ555

A decent MMORPG can net lots of money, let alone a great one. I’m in for a new MMORPG. Quit WoW years ago, got bored from FF14, spent a lot of time in Diablo, GG2 is old today and ESO is rubbish. I need a new MMORPG! Black Desert is cool and I might invest time in it for now. I’d like to see Blizzard make a new MMORPG but everytime I remember that Activision will be involved, I nope the fuck out.

Tried Black Desert but its lack of PVE structure/ Story/ Dungeons etc and focus on PVP etc put me off, may have changed as i tried long time ago.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
SONY can certainly (DC Universe) than you throw in the recent open world craze, and the player count increases (MAG, Battlefield etc.) so I find a AAA MMORPG very interesting and everyone knows MMO RPGS make their $ off of loot, expansions etc.

Black Desert is what you make of it. I've played it for a few years now and have never PvP'd.

It doesn't rely on the old school PvE structure of do dungeons for gear then go to raids.

Kenpachii Kenpachii has a couple good descriptions on this thread:

The only hope for MMOs is VR at this point. Unless by some miracle we have a big developer that actually doesn't conform to all these WoW clone norms, but also executes it correctly. MMOs these days automate too much, and it takes the social aspect right out of it. Pantheon could be promising, but I don't think it's going to cause a particular shift in how other developers approach things.
Once a AAA developer builds the first good VRMMO that is perfectly sustainable, the MMO industry will do a full VR transition as that's where the main future of MMOs lies.

Last edited:

JMZ555

The only hope for MMOs is VR at this point. Unless by some miracle we have a big developer that actually doesn't conform to all these WoW clone norms, but also executes it correctly. MMOs these days automate too much, and it takes the social aspect right out of it. Pantheon could be promising, but I don't think it's going to cause a particular shift in how other developers approach things.
Once a AAA developer builds the first good VRMMO that is perfectly sustainable, the MMO industry will do a full VR transition as that's where the main future of MMOs lies.

I would love a VR MMO but VR struggles to even get a full game out these days or a game with much content. A True VR MMO with content close to a standard MMO and not a cheap looking jank fest is probably minimum 5 years away .

Although Pantheon is not really what i'm after , I do like what they are trying to do and would try it.

I would love a VR MMO but VR struggles to even get a full game out these days or a game with much content. A True VR MMO with content close to a standard MMO and not a cheap looking jank fest is probably minimum 5 years away .

Although Pantheon is not really what i'm after , I do like what they are trying to do and would try it.
There are still a bunch of full AAA games on the way. Valve will very likely announce the next Half Life game on May 1st.

But yes, it's a ways off still for an MMO to actually reach that. Closer to 10 than 5 because you need at least 5 years of development.

One thing to consider with VRMMOs is that they will be driven more by personal stories and roleplaying. They will be designed as worlds to literally live inside, and as such people are going to be working, sleeping, eating, drinking, watching movies, playing games, reading, fishing, playing card games, going clubbing - all inside the game. So in a way, there doesn't need to be as much demand for content. There should still be plenty to do, but the ability to be inside a virtual space with other people already offers a large amount of stuff that you can get up to, because you'll have complete freedom.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It focuses on PvP? Nah screw that

Well now hold on there. Yes, BDO is PVP focused, but it's not like there's nothing to do PVE wise. There are bosses to fight, world bosses with mechanics (though nothing like what you would find in WOW and FFXIV). I'll tell you the real draw about BDO, because I thought just like you before I actually gave it a shot. Let's do a list shall we:

In BDO...
1. Everything happens in the open world. PVE, PVP, Guild Wars, Node Wars...everything except for the "Red Battlefield" and Arena PVP. This makes for a very lively world where you are seeing people doing things.....everywhere. Whether it's farming, training their horse, gathering, trading, fighting monsters or fighting other players, world bosses..etc. it happens out in the open and I, for one, love that. You feel like you're part of a living world, as opposed to instanced bs you get in wow, ffxiv...eso and so forth.

2. Everything you know about an MMO you can just toss it right out the window. BDO is a very unique game.

3. The economy is mediated by supply and demand much like the stock market is in the real world. It prevents price gouging. You can essentially create what feels like an empire of your own without actually having a monopoly on anything in the game. You can even make money while offline. As I type this, I got my dark knight sitting on a wharf fishing. When I get home from work, I'll have a full inventory of stuff to sell.

4. The weapon and armor system is not just "kill this, til it drops this". Even the best armor and weapons in the game need to be upgraded through a unique progression system. The system is intuitive and is the reason the economy works so well. Everyday drops you get stay in demand so literally anybody can make money in this game. You just, have to play.

5. The combat is fast, you feel like a damn dragon ball z character. It's deep in terms of the builds and combos you can put together. It's play more like Ninja Gaiden or Bayonetta rather than FFXIV or the Wow formula.

6. The overall feel of the game is that you're kinda like living a second life. It's not just about raids or anything getting through the story so you can do high level dungeons. You have your family of toons, who all essentially all work together to become more powerful, knowledgable about the world and an expert in whatever role you'd like to take. You wanna just live the life and make tons of money and never have to pvp? There a way to do that. You wanna be the ultimate PVP badass and grind your heart out for weapons and rare gear. You can do that too.

The game offers a freedom that doesn't normally occur in MMOs. It's much more open ended, the endgame is what you want it to be. There's much more I could tell you, but maybe this would be enough to at least give you a sense of what the game is like. Happy to answer any questions.

Mista

Banned
Well now hold on there. Yes, BDO is PVP focused, but it's not like there's nothing to do PVE wise. There are bosses to fight, world bosses with mechanics (though nothing like what you would find in WOW and FFXIV). I'll tell you the real draw about BDO, because I thought just like you before I actually gave it a shot. Let's do a list shall we:

In BDO...
1. Everything happens in the open world. PVE, PVP, Guild Wars, Node Wars...everything except for the "Red Battlefield" and Arena PVP. This makes for a very lively world where you are seeing people doing things.....everywhere. Whether it's farming, training their horse, gathering, trading, fighting monsters or fighting other players, world bosses..etc. it happens out in the open and I, for one, love that. You feel like you're part of a living world, as opposed to instanced bs you get in wow, ffxiv...eso and so forth.

2. Everything you know about an MMO you can just toss it right out the window. BDO is a very unique game.

3. The economy is mediated by supply and demand much like the stock market is in the real world. It prevents price gouging. You can essentially create what feels like an empire of your own without actually having a monopoly on anything in the game. You can even make money while offline. As I type this, I got my dark knight sitting on a wharf fishing. When I get home from work, I'll have a full inventory of stuff to sell.

4. The weapon and armor system is not just "kill this, til it drops this". Even the best armor and weapons in the game need to be upgraded through a unique progression system. The system is intuitive and is the reason the economy works so well. Everyday drops you get stay in demand so literally anybody can make money in this game. You just, have to play.

5. The combat is fast, you feel like a damn dragon ball z character. It's deep in terms of the builds and combos you can put together. It's play more like Ninja Gaiden or Bayonetta rather than FFXIV or the Wow formula.

6. The overall feel of the game is that you're kinda like living a second life. It's not just about raids or anything getting through the story so you can do high level dungeons. You have your family of toons, who all essentially all work together to become more powerful, knowledgable about the world and an expert in whatever role you'd like to take. You wanna just live the life and make tons of money and never have to pvp? There a way to do that. You wanna be the ultimate PVP badass and grind your heart out for weapons and rare gear. You can do that too.

The game offers a freedom that doesn't normally occur in MMOs. It's much more open ended, the endgame is what you want it to be. There's much more I could tell you, but maybe this would be enough to at least give you a sense of what the game is like. Happy to answer any questions.
Thank you for this I appreciate it! All of what you stated is interesting. Now the tough decision is to go and buy it on Xbox or wait till I build my pc in the coming weeks

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Thank you for this I appreciate it! All of what you stated is interesting. Now the tough decision is to go and buy it on Xbox or wait till I build my pc in the coming weeks
So here's the thing...Xbox's version of BDO is the vanilla version from 2 years ago pretty much. So not all the classes are in the game. We don't have "awakening" yet. Essentially, you're starting in the early days of BDO, which is still plenty in depth, but not as overwhelming. Yes I said "we"...because I play on Xbox...and for very good reason. BDO is A LOT to take in. I tried on PC a few times and just confused myself. There's just so many visual cues in the game that you often don't know what to pay attention to. There's a lot going on...people are everywhere. It like waking up one day in the middle of the street of effing Dubai or something. Everywhere you look, people are just going about life, doing whatever the days tasks are and you're just standing there like..."how da fuck did I get here". Well that was at least my experience on PC. I didn't know whether I should level my character...start farming and gathering first, try my hand at crafting.

So in short. I recommend Xbox if you're looking to get in on the ground floor, relatively speaking. It runs 60fps with some hitches on the X. I haven't tried on the S. PC with a 1070ti, it's buttery smooth, at 90 FPS with my set up. But that setup ran me 1300 dollars at the time.

So you can start by paying 10 bucks now on Xbox...and still look to build your PC if you want. PC will have the best graphics and performance, but you risk being overwhelmed and quit.

Mista

Banned
So here's the thing...Xbox's version of BDO is the vanilla version from 2 years ago pretty much. So not all the classes are in the game. We don't have "awakening" yet. Essentially, you're starting in the early days of BDO, which is still plenty in depth, but not as overwhelming. Yes I said "we"...because I play on Xbox...and for very good reason. BDO is A LOT to take in. I tried on PC a few times and just confused myself. There's just so many visual cues in the game that you often don't know what to pay attention to. There's a lot going on...people are everywhere. It like waking up one day in the middle of the street of effing Dubai or something. Everywhere you look, people are just going about life, doing whatever the days tasks are and you're just standing there like..."how da fuck did I get here". Well that was at least my experience on PC. I didn't know whether I should level my character...start farming and gathering first, try my hand at crafting.

So in short. I recommend Xbox if you're looking to get in on the ground floor, relatively speaking. It runs 60fps with some hitches on the X. I haven't tried on the S. PC with a 1070ti, it's buttery smooth, at 90 FPS with my set up. But that setup ran me 1300 dollars at the time.

So you can start by paying 10 bucks now on Xbox...and still look to build your PC if you want. PC will have the best graphics and performance, but you risk being overwhelmed and quit.
Xbox it is then. I played the beta and it was a mess but I actually enjoyed the fast paced combat. Won’t hide the fact that I was lost when I was playing! Felt the game didn’t tell me lots of things

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
There are still a bunch of full AAA games on the way. Valve will very likely announce the next Half Life game on May 1st.

But yes, it's a ways off still for an MMO to actually reach that. Closer to 10 than 5 because you need at least 5 years of development.

One thing to consider with VRMMOs is that they will be driven more by personal stories and roleplaying. They will be designed as worlds to literally live inside, and as such people are going to be working, sleeping, eating, drinking, watching movies, playing games, reading, fishing, playing card games, going clubbing - all inside the game. So in a way, there doesn't need to be as much demand for content. There should still be plenty to do, but the ability to be inside a virtual space with other people already offers a large amount of stuff that you can get up to, because you'll have complete freedom.
VR Second Life? I'll pass.

I enjoy meatspace way more than a digital space any day.

VR Second Life? I'll pass.

I enjoy meatspace way more than a digital space any day.
Fair enough, but meatspace is limiting in all sorts of ways. It's also very routine. Lots of people would prefer to be unbound by the harsh nature of reality.

You do know you don't have to partake in all these social activities? You could just be one of those people that spends most of their time doing dungeons, raids, PvP, etc.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Fair enough, but meatspace is limiting in all sorts of ways. It's also very routine. Lots of people would prefer to be unbound by the harsh nature of reality.

You do know you don't have to partake in all these social activities? You could just be one of those people that spends most of their time doing dungeons, raids, PvP, etc.
Digital spaces are also limited in a vast amount of ways technology wise; it takes more computing power than you would think to create an entirely sandbox world, with little built assets and maps that would be official content. Mainly due to having to support so many different engines and systems to facilitate that.

That sort of thing is probably more than a two decades out, if you're looking for the media portrayal of digital/simulated realities.

Accepting the "harsh natures of realities," would be better psychologically, than to avoid and escape them entirely.

Digital spaces are also limited in a vast amount of ways technology wise; it takes more computing power than you would think to create an entirely sandbox world, with little built assets and maps that would be official content. Mainly due to having to support so many different engines and systems to facilitate that.

That sort of thing is probably more than a two decades out, if you're looking for the media portrayal of digital/simulated realities.
The difference is that computing power increases and optimization gets better. You can't alter real world physics; it's all fixed.

This isn't decades out, this is more like 10 years out. It doesn't have to be size of the OASIS from Ready Player One. It just needs to be a large MMO that facilities the gameplay freedom you'd have with physically tracked virtual bodies. VRChat / Dreams / Minecraft are great examples that allow people to create all sorts of stuff. You also have to keep in mind that a lot of this can be layered on top of games via a API hierarchy. Oculus already does this with Oculus Dash, where you can overlay virtual screens inside of any game/app.

Developers don't necessarily have to build a way to use your PC inside the game. They don't need to worry about building rulesets for card games; just give players cards and they'll sort it out themselves. They don't need to worry about food or drink being scanned into the game, as that can be done via an overarching XR API. They can focus more on the core game.

Accepting the "harsh natures of realities," would be better psychologically, than to avoid and escape them entirely.
Perhaps, but it's all choice. People are given the choice to live their lives in these worlds, or they can partake in them as they do now with their gaming schedule.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
The difference is that computing power increases and optimization gets better. You can't alter real world physics; it's all fixed.

This isn't decades out, this is more like 10 years out. It doesn't have to be size of the OASIS from Ready Player One. It just needs to be a large MMO that facilities the gameplay freedom you'd have with physically tracked virtual bodies. VRChat / Dreams / Minecraft are great examples that allow people to create all sorts of stuff. You also have to keep in mind that a lot of this can be layered on top of games via a API hierarchy. Oculus already does this with Oculus Dash, where you can overlay virtual screens inside of any game/app.

Okay, can give you any examples of developing or newer technology that would be substantial and would affect our current computing market other than a graphics overlay connected to an API (Which isn't an increase in computing power, or optimization, it's using existing technology to meet an end goal) that would be resounding steps forward in being able to create that type of environment?
Perhaps, but it's all choice. People are given the choice to live their lives in these worlds, or they can partake in them as they do now with their gaming schedule.
Ummmm, yeah....

Last edited:
Okay, can give you any examples of developing or newer technology that would be substantial and would affect our current computing market other than a graphics overlay connected to an API (Which isn't an increase in computing power, or optimization, it's using existing technology to meet an end goal) that would be resounding steps forward in being able to create that type of environment?

Ummmm, yeah....
Are you speaking in terms of the demands for PCs/systems to actually meet this? Or more in terms of infastructure?

Cloud computing will help with the infrastructure side. It doesn't have to be rendering work. Just offload more structural data. Dreams is a very recent example of a very powerful tool that could be used for making games, albiet to a limited degree.

On the rendering side, foveated rendering will provide unprecedented levels of optimization for GPUs, making VR much easier to run even with massive jumps in specs.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Are you speaking in terms of the demands for PCs/systems to actually meet this? Or more in terms of infastructure?

Cloud computing will help with the infrastructure side. It doesn't have to be rendering work. Just offload more structural data. Dreams is a very recent example of a very powerful tool that could be used for making games, albiet to a limited degree.

On the rendering side, foveated rendering will provide unprecedented levels of optimization for GPUs, making VR much easier to run even with massive jumps in specs.
I'm speaking on both ends, though the infrastructure side would be way more costly.

"Cloud computing," has existed for quite a while; all it is an off site server with interconnection abilities to perform tasks, mainly taking in input from a client and running large task sets and producing output. Cloud computing is just a marketing term, it's really a load of horse shit. Servers are named servers because they a serve a service/purpose.

I'm meaning specific examples; something like vGPUs and changes in the norms of CPU architecture (As x84/x64 is horribly bloated), etc. You know, how computers and servers and such work, or maybe things like emerging networking infrastructure standards (Like WiFi being further developed as a method to replace hard lines).

What you're asking for has to be computed somewhere, so you're either pushing it to the server side and needing large gains there, or you're pushing it client side, which would also require large gains.

TwiztidElf

Amazons "New World" is looking interesting.

I know people saying good things about and keeping an eye on "Ashes of Creation" also.

Mikey Jr.

My hope?

1. I missed the wow train. So a wow 2 would be nice.

2. Guild Wars 3 but on consoles as well, plus go back to the holy trinity classes. I want to be a dedicated healer.

DiscoJer

They are giant time sinks. Are people really going to be plugged into VR for 10 hours a day?

I'm speaking on both ends, though the infrastructure side would be way more costly.

"Cloud computing," has existed for quite a while; all it is an off site server with interconnection abilities to perform tasks, mainly taking in input from a client and running large task sets and producing output. Cloud computing is just a marketing term, it's really a load of horse shit. Servers are named servers because they a serve a service/purpose.

I'm meaning specific examples; something like vGPUs and changes in the norms of CPU architecture (As x84/x64 is horribly bloated), etc. You know, how computers and servers and such work, or maybe things like emerging networking infrastructure standards (Like WiFi being further developed as a method to replace hard lines).

What you're asking for has to be computed somewhere, so you're either pushing it to the server side and needing large gains there, or you're pushing it client side, which would also require large gains.
Can't really say anything about architecture changes as that could go many ways, or not go any way for a while. Cloud computing is not horse shit. Yes, it's existed for many years, but it hasn't been utilized much in gaming because the average connection speed has been slow to improve.

They are giant time sinks. Are people really going to be plugged into VR for 10 hours a day?
Yes, they will. I have plenty of friends that spend dozens of hours straight in VRChat. Give everyone a pair of comfortable wireless sunglasses with full VR and AR capabilities and lots of people are going to use it as the basis for everything in their life. Unlike a smartphone or a laptop, it would be the truly best device for all scenarios. If you're at home and want to work, it's the best way to be productive. If you're out shopping, it's the best way to identify things or get GPS directions. If you're doing construction work, you'll want assisted situational awareness.

Because the nature of these devices will be that plenty of people wear them all day, it would logically translate into VRMMOs where people do the same. Many millions will make these virtual worlds their home and their life.

For those that only want to delve casually into it, there would be even less of a barrier than today's MMOs. Because the simple nature of logging in, becoming someone else, visiting places, and socializing, and just doing random events is something that doesn't require any real commitment.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
We would have heard rumors by now. I hope so, WoW has become stale and FFXIV is, in my opinion, crap.

I'll be happy if the FFXI remake finally gets a release date

Sygma

Most of the new heavy hitters are all mobile mmos at this point. Blade and Soul 2, Aion 2 and whatnot. There are two titles Ive been keeping an eye on, respectively Crowfall and Ashes of Creation. The later might be what you wish for op

Joe T.

I'm not sure I'd be interested in any MMORPG unless it goes back to the more sadistic game design of the earlier games like Everquest and FFXI. Well designed MMORPG worlds are so large and have so much content that they can cater to players of all types, from the anti-social and time-restricted to the hardcore and completely addicted, so I'm not a fan of making them as accessible as possible (re: "dumbing down" almost all their content).

I never touched Everquest, but I poured an insane amount of time into FFXI and thought it was absolutely amazing before they raised the level cap from 75 to 80+. I was running into players from all around the world with a variety of play times and they were all enjoying the game (props to Square Enix for their auto-translate feature). The more time/dedication you put into the game the more content you were able to tackle and if you weren't able to attain the end game content/gear then it wasn't all that big a loss because you still had fun with the low/mid-level stuff. That hierarchy of low-level -> mid-level -> endgame players is key to a successful game if you ask me because while it does prevent the more casual players from the tougher content, it still provides them a wealth of low and mid-level content to enjoy and gives them something to shoot for should they ever have the time/skill to aim higher. Making a game as accessible as possible to the masses is a great disservice to an MMORPG. Those worlds need to be dangerous and exciting, promoting teamwork over solo play.

Loved WoW when I finally got around to playing it (when WotLK was released), but that was primarily because it had an extremely well-designed world with memorable locales, characters and music. I'd kill to see another game like that in my lifetime provided it allowed solo play, rewarded teamwork and incorporated more dynamic AI routines to make exploration/encounters/battles more interesting. I'm not sure any of today's AAA devs are willing to take the risk on a new MMORPG, but I'd be watching closely if they did.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Can't really say anything about architecture changes as that could go many ways, or not go any way for a while. Cloud computing is not horse shit. Yes, it's existed for many years, but it hasn't been utilized much in gaming because the average connection speed has been slow to improve.
Offloading large amounts of processing to servers on the public internet has been a thing for quite a while, in fact it was one of the reasons DARPANET was created, which evolved into our modern internet. It's how online games work, so in the sense that "Cloud Gaming is changing everything!" is not true. It's how all of your online services work. They're utilizing it in different ways, but the core of "Large computations happen on the server and send the information to your client," is all that's happening; same stuff that's always gone on, just being utilized differently, no increase in actual computational speed or anything.

I can safely say for the level of interaction, end user quality of life and ease of access you are looking for in the software title, is quite a bit a ways out. You'll be getting steps TOWARDS that, but you're not going to have that flying car there Darth. It's not feasible.

Though, I will not deny the possibility that some magic technology that I and many others couldn't imagine happening propping up and changing a large amount of the game; but unless it's incredibly cheap to manufacture from the start, it's only going to be sold to businesses who could afford it before it comes to consumers.

That and I just don't understand why people think that an increase in internet speed in their area means we're doing good across the world. If you don't live around or in a major city, your internet speed is mostly shit in comparison, only because it's too costly to lay the copper/fiber to a rural area with 10 people in 100sq miles, that and if there's ever a problem, having to replace the lines because of normal wear and tear, etc. We've laid enough copper for internet to go to Pluto and back 8 times, too costly to install and maintain long term. Hence the push for better wireless standards, and even that's a while out because of the security factor.

mortal

Gold Member
Square Enix should rebrand all of their future FF MMORPG titles as Final Fantasy Online.

Not much reason other than to have better brand identity.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I'd play a good Monster Hunter MMO, as long as it was legit and not like that shitty Chinese game.

Zannegan

I'd like to see a Destiny sequel grow into something more like an MMO. Probably the best shot you have too, honestly.

I'd bet on the Guild Wars team coming up with something, though whether they'll care about consoles or not is anyone's guess. And, like you said, the FF team will probably put out another in a few years, maybe a FFXVIII set in some version of the FFVII world to ride the continual nostalgia/hype wave?

I’ve been looking for a graphical MMO to play for years, but no one’s ever recommended me one that sounds like it has any sort of community depth to it. I kind of suspect that if an MMO is too large, it becomes more and more difficult to have meaningful interaction. So while I am curious about the next AAA MMO, I already know I’ll probably never play it.

Caffeine

I think it will be final fantasy I don't see many publishers stepping up to the plate since a lot of their previous ventures into the genre failed. 11 and 14 are big for them there is def another mmorpg on the table moving forward.
No I dont think blizzard is working on another mmo or a massive overhaul to wow, an mmo-lite destinyesque game maybe. you will see many mmo-lites still coming before they even consider the undertaking of an mmorpg.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Western shareholders will not acquiesce to the time and funding needed to pull it off. Maybe an Asian company will do it.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Some company would need to not only have a ton of money, but the will to risk it on something unproven. Breaking the painfully tired mmo mold is the only way to create something great.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
BDO had some fantastic ideas - but the focus on pay-to-win structures (especially early on) really pushed players away. Why spend the 20 hours to build a boat or wagon set up when you can spend money to get it instantly?

A living world with fun combat, focus on exploration, player driven economies and cities - these are things that I imagine being in a next gen MMO.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
The mmorpg genre is dead and will never recover. The text has been on the wall for years now. All we have is a mediocre World of War craft and Asian money grabs.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I wouldn't say MMORPGs are dead. There are still plenty of people playing them. I just can't see anybody bothering to make a new one. That craze is long over.

I'd like to see a Destiny sequel grow into something more like an MMO. Probably the best shot you have too, honestly.

I'd bet on the Guild Wars team coming up with something, though whether they'll care about consoles or not is anyone's guess. And, like you said, the FF team will probably put out another in a few years, maybe a FFXVIII set in some version of the FFVII world to ride the continual nostalgia/hype wave?
I think Destiny desperately needs to change its model.

It might be too late to do it with Destiny 3 but if they do another Destiny after that it shouldn't be Destiny 4. Just call it Destiny and make it free to play. Make it more of an MMORPG and charge for new expansions and offer season/annual passes.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Xbox it is then. I played the beta and it was a mess but I actually enjoyed the fast paced combat. Won’t hide the fact that I was lost when I was playing! Felt the game didn’t tell me lots of things

So, here's what I did. I'm interested in become a PVP badass and there's alot involved in that. I'll give you an idea of how to start things out.

#1. Make all 6 of your characters. They all gain energy even when you're not playing them and can help greatly later on in the game. You also will be using them to level up your gear. More on that later.

#2. Choose your main. Play around with each character until about level 6-10. You can do each character in about 15 minutes a piece. Find out who's initial fighting style you like. Do this, instead of watching youtube videos about who's the best character. You will be grinding a lot in this game, just make sure you enjoy the grind. That's the most important thing.

#3. Focus on leveling your main to 56. This will prepare you for when "Awakening" arrives. Save all the weapon stones and armor stones you get. Follow the Black Spirit questline almost exclusively. Stop to grab quest that can be completed concurrently (Eg. Black spirit says kill x amount of enemies here. Random npc also wants you to kill the same monsters in the same place, but for a different reward.)

#4. Once your 55, decide on your combat build. This includes what skills you want to use. You can lock skills so you don't accidentally use them during battle. You can also reset skills for free, allowing you to reallocate skill points for optimal results.

#5. Decide on gear build. There are a lot of sets in the game. In particular you want to start with the green gear offered in the Central Market. Look at the set effects, decide what's most important to you. AP (Damage), DP (Defense), Accuracy (used only for pvp I believe), along with things like health and evasion. It would be helpful to look up some guides about this on youtube,

Once you can obtain gear by grinding or simply purchasing you need to understand the gear leveling system. The base of it is easy to understand. It's the strategy to propel yourself into the higher tiers of gear that require some clever strategy. It's where your other characters will come into play.

Let me know how things are going.

Mista

Banned
So, here's what I did. I'm interested in become a PVP badass and there's alot involved in that. I'll give you an idea of how to start things out.

#1. Make all 6 of your characters. They all gain energy even when you're not playing them and can help greatly later on in the game. You also will be using them to level up your gear. More on that later.

#2. Choose your main. Play around with each character until about level 6-10. You can do each character in about 15 minutes a piece. Find out who's initial fighting style you like. Do this, instead of watching youtube videos about who's the best character. You will be grinding a lot in this game, just make sure you enjoy the grind. That's the most important thing.

#3. Focus on leveling your main to 56. This will prepare you for when "Awakening" arrives. Save all the weapon stones and armor stones you get. Follow the Black Spirit questline almost exclusively. Stop to grab quest that can be completed concurrently (Eg. Black spirit says kill x amount of enemies here. Random npc also wants you to kill the same monsters in the same place, but for a different reward.)

#4. Once your 55, decide on your combat build. This includes what skills you want to use. You can lock skills so you don't accidentally use them during battle. You can also reset skills for free, allowing you to reallocate skill points for optimal results.

#5. Decide on gear build. There are a lot of sets in the game. In particular you want to start with the green gear offered in the Central Market. Look at the set effects, decide what's most important to you. AP (Damage), DP (Defense), Accuracy (used only for pvp I believe), along with things like health and evasion. It would be helpful to look up some guides about this on youtube,

Once you can obtain gear by grinding or simply purchasing you need to understand the gear leveling system. The base of it is easy to understand. It's the strategy to propel yourself into the higher tiers of gear that require some clever strategy. It's where your other characters will come into play.

Let me know how things are going.
Great tips thank you! Will get back to you :D

Top Bottom