• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will we see a AAA Next Gen MMORPG? Who will gamble on one? E3 Reveals?

Kenpachii

Like a lot of people i'm always on the look out for a new MMORPG to play. It feels like its been a eternity since we had a good AAA MMORPG with modern graphics/combat, actual story cut scenes that dont look like they was made from the PS2 days.

WOW something like 15 years old

Final Fantasy 14 ARR: 6 years? 9 years for original.

Guild wars 2 :7 years

Elder Scolls Online : 5 years

Seems only Indie Developers are making them now but they either get stuck in development hell, turn out to be scams or just plain rubbish.

Looter Shooters are currently having there turn it seems. Which is cool as i have enjoyed some of them.

But question is who will gamble on making a AAA MMORPG?

Will it be final fantasy in 4 or so years after 14 has had another 2 or so expansions?

Will Blizzard finally create a new MMORPG? Looks doubtful as WOW still pulls in the cash.

Will a new Diablo expand into something closer to a MMORPG maybe?

What company do you think or would like to try a MMORPG?

Black desert online

Lost arc

Last edited:

Von Hugh

Making MMORPGs is not really viable anymore. Other popular new genres are pulling in the profits, and developing an MMO is a massive undertaking. It's a lose-lose situation for developers.

Kenpachii

Making MMORPGs is not really viable anymore. Other popular new genres are pulling in the profits, and developing an MMO is a massive undertaking. It's a lose-lose situation for developers.

These type of comments reminds me of pre-wow where people said the same thing. Or pre horror where everybody said horror games where death until amnesia came out and it generated a huge new investment into the genre. The same goes for dark souls.

It's just a matter of somebody putting in the effort.

klosos

Lost arc looks fantastic , i am definitely keeping an eye on that. However traditional MMO's are going the way of the dodo for me. My last big hope was Guild wars 2 but that game had so many issues and the leveling was atrocious.

I am going back rather then forward , I have just installed Everquest project99 for some classic grinding and i am waiting for classic WOW.

i think the world is crying out for the next big mmo but i have a feeling whats big isn't whats for me.

Top Bottom