• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Zelda make it out in April, or what?

xexex

Banned
it better not, cause it's basicly the only current-gen game i'm looking forward too, aside from Ace Combat Zero.

April as it is, is SO far away. it's not even close. sigh. Zelda: TP is the closest thing to the Zelda i expected on Gamecube 5 years ago. i'm so tired of waiting. i wonder what areas / dungeons / bosses / towns / senarios Nintendo is adding to it with the extended development time. i dont think the graphics will be improved and i dont care, they're fine as they are. I also don't really expect anything added for Revolution, and no, i dont expect it to be released for Revolution instead of Cube.....

sorry for this rambling.

Tarazet

This game can take its sweet time, as long as the developers are busting their asses trying to get the best possible game out the door, and not just delaying it for market-placement purposes or some bullshit like that..

SantaC

worldrunover said:
I can't see this game selling well. But who cares about that. It'll be out early next year, and it'll be spectacular.

I can see this game selling well. It's Zelda and it's one of those games that caters to everybody, not only Nintendo fans. Remember that Wind Waker did over 3 million though many disliked the new style.

As for april release, I hope so.

Juice

worldrunover said:
I can't see this game selling well. But who cares about that. It'll be out early next year, and it'll be spectacular.

I don't expect it to be a runaway hit, either.

But it's going to be an orgasm to play, no doubt.

Pachinko

No, it won't be out in april and don't in any way expect that it will be. My guess is that it'll be Nintendo's last gamecube game and it will have revolution enhancements so you can buy it with the revolution at it's launch or have it for the cube if you don't feel like upgrading. It'll be released before the revolution is though, by maybe a month. I can also predict that it'll get a world wide release date. September or October is my guess, with the revolution coming late october or november.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
sonarrat said:
This game can take its sweet time, as long as the developers are busting their asses trying to get the best possible game out the door, and not just delaying it for market-placement purposes or some bullshit like that..
Agreed 100%. Besides...It sin't like there's nothing good coming out between now and April...Unless you're a Cube only gamer...

raYne

Jive Turkey said:
Agreed 100%. Besides...It sin't like there's nothing good coming out between now and April...Unless you're a Cube only gamer...
lawlz.

The fact that there are so many games between the x360 and current gen systems being released is the only reason why I don't mind the delay.

If I were a GC only gamer it'd be horrible since Zelda is the only thing left on the system that I have any interest in.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
On a system with a much lower userbase than the N64 whilst a next generation console is out and the GC is practically dead. And as much hype as this is getting, it's nothing compared to OoT's.

No way in hell OoT sales.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
sonarrat said:

I was thinking there was more to this delay then Nintendo just wanting to add more levels and stuff. If Zelda got released this season, it would eat up potential DS/games sales, and Nintendo can't risk having Sony take over the handheld market. That's what it seemed like to me, anyway...

raYne

CVXFREAK said:
The only way TP will sell over 2 Million at this point is to sell it to Rev and GC owners.
Considering the Rev's BC status, I'd say that was part of the plan. ;)

jett

D-Member
xexex said:
I expect this Zelda to sell like at least 2x what the Wind Waker sold

BWAHAHAHA. You realize Wind Waker sold more than 4 million worldwide, right? Not even OoT reached the numbers you're clearly dreaming of. This game will be lucky to do half of what WW did...I don't see it being released in 2k6's first quarter, either.

atomsk

Party Pooper
honestly, i've got enough to play between now and april, i'm not too worried about it.

i mean, guitar hero, mario kart ds, animal crossing ds, oblivion, beatmania, chibi robo, odama, okami, disaster report 2 (jp), metal saga, black

and that's off the top of my head

Oblivion

jett said:
BWAHAHAHA. You realize Wind Waker sold more than 4 million worldwide, right? Not even OoT reached the numbers you're clearly dreaming of. This game will be lucky to do half of what WW did...I don't see it being released in 2k6's first quarter, either.

Well, TECHNICALLY I think Ocarina just past the 2X WW mark (at this point).

SantaC

jett said:

OoT reached 8-9 million worldwide or am I off? Noway in hell TP does OoT numbers though.

I think it would make alot of sense for Nintendo to release two versions of Twilight Princess, one on Gamecube around April-June next year.

The second could be released on Revolution at Launch, packed in with the Standard Controller Shell. With perhaps enhanced features, online modes etc?

The online modes could simply be the downloading of extra areas or something.

I do however feel it would be a great way to release the Shell Controller on the Rev.

cordonbleu said:
I think it would make alot of sense for Nintendo to release two versions of Twilight Princess, one on Gamecube around April-June next year.

The second could be released on Revolution at Launch, packed in with the Standard Controller Shell. With perhaps enhanced features, online modes etc?

The online modes could simply be the downloading of extra areas or something.

I do however feel it would be a great way to release the Shell Controller on the Rev.
NO

I wonder if there's some way you ccould hook the Revolution controller into some kind of special horse-saddle-and-stirrups shell.

and an antigravity device, of course.

xexex

Banned
I firmly am of the opinion that Zelda: TP should remain totally seperate from Revolution, aside from the obvious backwards compatibility where you can play it on Revolution like any GCN game, but nothing in the way of enhancements for Revolution or a Revolution version.

Revolution will have its own unique Zelda built from the ground up for it.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I played the E3 demo yesterday, and from a maturity standpoint it seems that the engine and actions are all complete. Nintendo is known, however, to do engines really far before starting to implement actual levels, so it's pretty much impossible to tell how many temples and how big part of the overworld they had implemented by E3. It's been over half a year since E3, so everything should be in the game by now, unless they've dramatically changed something of the system.

With all that said, my bet is that it's been moved to be a Revolution launch title. Think about it - with a bit of polish, it could easily be the best launch title any system has ever had. And it's not unheard of that next gen launch games are enhanced current games anyway. Be wise, Nintendo, be wise.

No, fuck that. Goddamn Nintendo if they make this a Revolution launch title. I will buy a Revolution, play Twilight Princess, and then personally set Nintendo headquarters on fire.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
CVXFREAK said:
"Compatible with Revolution" sticker for the win!
huh? Rev is already fully backwards compatible with all GC games. Or is that what you meant?

Oblivion

Scrow said:
huh? Rev is already fully backwards compatible with all GC games. Or is that what you meant?

Yeah, I think he knows, but is just saying if they remind people who don't, it'll help.

xexex

Banned
Chittagong said:
I played the E3 demo yesterday, and from a maturity standpoint it seems that the engine and actions are all complete. Nintendo is known, however, to do engines really far before starting to implement actual levels, so it's pretty much impossible to tell how many temples and how big part of the overworld they had implemented by E3. It's been over half a year since E3, so everything should be in the game by now, unless they've dramatically changed something of the system.

With all that said, my bet is that it's been moved to be a Revolution launch title. Think about it - with a bit of polish, it could easily be the best launch title any system has ever had. And it's not unheard of that next gen launch games are enhanced current games anyway. Be wise, Nintendo, be wise.

no fucking way

argon

They have said several times they won't move it to Revolution.

I think Nintendo's best solution is this (assuming a November Revolution launch) :

Release it as a GCN title in November and include Rev hooks. Nothing too big.. maybe a fishing mini game using the remote.

On Revolution's launch day, release a Gold Edition with the classic shell as a pack-in, and the ability to download 3 free games from the Wi-Fi Connection.

That way Nintendo can appease both GCN and Rev owners, and no one feels burned. Nintendo can use Zelda to launch its Wi-Fi classic game service. Who wouldn't jump at the chance to grab all those old Zeldas?

More importantly, this will assure 3rd parties that a substantial userbase will own the classic shell, but not enough that they can develop exclusively for the classic controls and ignore the remote.

citan

xexex said:
I expect this Zelda to sell like at least 2x what the Wind Waker sold

We have more reserves at the store I work at then we had for Halo 2, or any of the GTA's. This Zelda willl sell extremely well.

Xrenity

They could've moved it to Revolution if they didn't say it would be out for gamecube for 100%.

So my guess is around april/may, while revolution comes around september.
Shiggy said:
April or May 2006 for Japan, June for the US and July for Europe.
TP was to be released worldwide (1 week difference or something), so that's not going to happen.

Juice

Chittagong said:

No fucking way.

Zelda will probably be the best selling title at Revolution launch as it is. No reason to make it a Revolution title at all.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Nintendo has gone on record to state that TP was going to be a GCN game, I'm pretty sure.

Oblivion

citan said:
We have more reserves at the store I work at then we had for Halo 2, or any of the GTA's. This Zelda willl sell extremely well.

Wow, seriously? Yeah, I know one store doensn't represent the entire market, but more than Halo2 or any GTA, that's pretty fucking impressive no matter how you look at it.

SantaC

Chittagong said:

making it revolution only would be a misstake since it could sell for both GC and Rev.

Ponn

Banned
xexex said:
it better not, cause it's basicly the only current-gen game i'm looking forward too, aside from Ace Combat Zero.

April as it is, is SO far away. it's not even close. sigh.

I hope you like waiting. My bet is holidays 2006 just in time for Revolution. Nintendo knows the Gamecube is dying and releasing it in spring will kill sales on it. They said it's staying GCN, but Revolution is BC so they can release it as a sort of reverse trojan horse to entice all the people that already sold off their Gamecubes and wouldn't buy one since it was dead to get a Revolution.

And besides, i'm still sticking with my theory that when they announced the original date at E3 they knew damn well it wasn't anywhere near complete and wouldn't make it and they were just starting the hype machine.

Aurora

SantaCruZer said:
making it revolution only would be a misstake since it could sell for both GC and Rev.

Yes exactly.
It all depends on when exactly Zelda and the Revolution are released. If they are released round about the same time then with clever marketing Nintendo could advertise the game as being both a Rev and a GC title for more sales. Even if Zelda comes out before the Revolution Nintendo could then rehype the game and advertise again when Rev launches.
If Nintendo were to make it Rev exclusive then they are only limiting themselves really.

Xrenity

Aurora said:
Yes exactly.
It all depends on when exactly Zelda and the Revolution are released. If they are released round about the same time then with clever marketing Nintendo could advertise the game as being both a Rev and a GC title for more sales. Even if Zelda comes out before the Revolution Nintendo could then rehype the game and advertise again when Rev launches.
If Nintendo were to make it Rev exclusive then they are only limiting themselves really.
I'd hope they won't come out at the same time -- I want to play SSB and Mario 128 and maybe MP3 at Rev's launch.

Hmmm... here's a thought; what if they're adding "Rev only" elements to the game? (and can they even do that?). Let's say you have your standard Zelda affair, but if you play it on the Revo, you can use the contoller in, like, a fishing mini game (come on, that thing's a perfect fishing rod). Or perhaps there's a sword swinging minigame or something.

Now, of course you can just play through the game normally on your GC, no questions asked. But what better way to A) get people to buy a Revo, and B) showcase how potentially awesome that controller can be? It probably won't happen, but Christ, it's making me wet thinking about it :D

cordonbleu said:
Wow, what a well thought out response.
releasing a second version of the game with some extras isn't something very smart, it's like stabing your fanbase in the back, especially if the changes are as simple as a new type of control

Top Bottom