• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Zelda make it out in April, or what?

Mrbob

Chittagong said:
I played the E3 demo yesterday, and from a maturity standpoint it seems that the engine and actions are all complete. Nintendo is known, however, to do engines really far before starting to implement actual levels, so it's pretty much impossible to tell how many temples and how big part of the overworld they had implemented by E3. It's been over half a year since E3, so everything should be in the game by now, unless they've dramatically changed something of the system.

With all that said, my bet is that it's been moved to be a Revolution launch title. Think about it - with a bit of polish, it could easily be the best launch title any system has ever had. And it's not unheard of that next gen launch games are enhanced current games anyway. Be wise, Nintendo, be wise.

Iwata has stated time and time again that Nintendo is committed to giving Gamecube owners this Zelda game. He doesn't seem like a man to go back on his word.

Also, the game will be totally functional on Revolution anyway. Just stick a "Also plays on Nintendo Revolution!" sticker on the box.

Leatherface

Mrbob said:
Iwata has stated time and time again that Nintendo is committed to giving Gamecube owners this Zelda game. He doesn't seem like a man to go back on his word.

Also, the game will be totally functional on Revolution anyway. Just stick a "Also plays on Nintendo Revolution!" sticker on the box.

I still think it will be enhanced for the REV. They are up to something. I know it. They know their Cube is pretty much dead and delaying instead of releasing in the biggest money making season is more then a little odd.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Leatherface said:
I still think it will be enhanced for the REV. They are up to something. I know it. They know their Cube is pretty much dead and delaying instead of releasing in the biggest money making season is more then a little odd.

Like I said. I honestly think it's mainly because Zelda would have eaten away potential DS sales, and Nintendo's doing everything in their power to make sure they still own a majority of the handheld market share.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Making Zelda TP a REV-only game would be a mistake.

One of Nintendo's problem with the Gamecube was its transistion from the N64. The N64 had nothing for the final 8 months before the GCN was released. Nintendo lost mindshare and shelfspace during that drought. Moving ZTP to Rev, would leave the GCN-Rev transition in a similar situation to the N64-GCN one was (not as severe, but A LOT longer).

ZTP will be the last big "AAA" title of this generation (or at least, the biggest of the last). The game could launch against the PS3 and Halo 3 and still hold its own, it won't be ignored. It'll give them a nice tool to push the Gamecube into its low-end, 4th-tier posistion. The PS2 will, no doubt, own that crown, but Nintendo can still make a pretty penny itself.

With backward compatibilty, the game can also serve as a marketing tool for the Rev. I would restart the ad campaign for the game when the Rev is released except with the new system's logo in as well. Slap a sticker on the box and "relaunch" the game. Considering the Zelda Collector's Edition success a few years ago, they'd be foolish to not heavily use Zelda to push the BC and VC features.

A few Rev only features would be nice, but not neccessary. Delaying the game to include Rev features would be retarded. The game will sell to the series' base regardless of the system its on. Nintendo is trying to sell the industry on the new controller, putting a major title like Zelda, a game that was not designed for the system and would only use the controller superficially, would only be a stumbling block. The focus needs to be on the games that will push the new controller. ZTP has its place on the Rev, but its a secondary, supporting role.

Aponi

What'd be the point of packaging it with the Rev's shell controller? Esp if it's released as a GCN game. You just plug your wavebird into the Rev's GC controller ports and off you go?

Sure, it'd be a way to get people to buy the shell, but if you're aiming it for the GCN then I don't see much point. Besides, it's pretty clear/obvious the shell will be needed. I'd rather see them package it with Rev SSMB or something if they're doing package deals at release.

The DS sales theory sounds reasonable, but who knows how right it is.

xexex

Banned
JJConrad said:
Making Zelda TP a REV-only game would be a mistake.

One of Nintendo's problem with the Gamecube was its transistion from the N64. The N64 had nothing for the final 8 months before the GCN was released. Nintendo lost mindshare and shelfspace during that drought. Moving ZTP to Rev, would leave the GCN-Rev transition in a similar situation to the N64-GCN one was (not as severe, but A LOT longer).

ZTP will be the last big "AAA" title of this generation (or at least, the biggest of the last). The game could launch against the PS3 and Halo 3 and still hold its own, it won't be ignored. It'll give them a nice tool to push the Gamecube into its low-end, 4th-tier posistion. The PS2 will, no doubt, own that crown, but Nintendo can still make a pretty penny itself.

With backward compatibilty, the game can also serve as a marketing tool for the Rev. I would restart the ad campaign for the game when the Rev is released except with the new system's logo in as well. Slap a sticker on the box and "relaunch" the game. Considering the Zelda Collector's Edition success a few years ago, they'd be foolish to not heavily use Zelda to push the BC and VC features.

A few Rev only features would be nice, but not neccessary. Delaying the game to include Rev features would be retarded. The game will sell to the series' base regardless of the system its on. Nintendo is trying to sell the industry on the new controller, putting a major title like Zelda, a game that was not designed for the system and would only use the controller superficially, would only be a stumbling block. The focus needs to be on the games that will push the new controller. ZTP has its place on the Rev, but its a secondary, supporting role.

IAWTP

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Zelda wouldn't be in the Rev, because doing so will go against Nintendo whole mantra of Revolution being "a total new way of playing games" having Nintendo's best franchise play the traditional way on Revolution will contradict what they are trying to push with the system.

methodman

Banned
You know what's really funny? The fact that we all know this game will own. Whatever Nintendo does, it will own. Aonouma hasn't really had his fair chance for a zelda game (well, Majora's Mask was his, and it owned).

BTW, I'm one of the supporters of a GC only version. Having a Revo and a GC version is pretty crappy for GC owners, EXCEPT if the GC version comes out in March sometime. Then maybe they can release a collectors "backwards compatible" version for the revo (I wouldn't really mind that they are saying this is the only game that would be BC, even though all of them would), This will make them some extra cash

Timen

I'm still hoping for a Revolution + Mario 128 + TP + Remote + Conventional controller bundle. Just like they did with the NES (duckhunt / mario + zapper)

Duderz

Banned
I hope at the very least we'll be playing this game before E3, so Nintendo can just focus on DS and Revolution.

And, so, you know, we're actually playing it.

suaveric said:
I hope at the very least playing the game on the Rev will give it some sort up graphical bump.

Yeah, that would be a nice gesture. Just a little something to carry us into the next gen.

WindyMan

Zelda is not going to sell as well as it will when it's released next year as it would have if it were released last month. No question. It's going to suffer from what I like to call "Perfect Dark Syndrome." And I'm not talking about PD Zero.

Perfect Dark on the N64 was great. But it came out 7 or 8 months later than it should have. It was originally supposed to come out in late 1999, when the N64 still had some life in it. It got delayed to May 2000, when the N64 was pretty much dead in the water. The game still sold okay, but it didn't do as well as expected.

Zelda is going through the same thing. All the hype was there in September in the weeks leading up to the launch, but then Nintendo said "delayed until next fiscal year" the wind came out of the sails (pun) and now we're just waiting for it to be released, with far less hype behind it. It's still going to be a fantastic game, it's just going to be a little less fantastic because of the wait. (And the grass.)

Remember that Nintendo said the game won't be ready until their next fiscal year, which starts in April. That doesn't mean we're going to get the game in April. Just like Perfect Dark, Zelda probably won't be released until May, so they can use it as leverage and a GameCube trophy for E3, at which they'll need every bit of momentum they can get.

My timeline predictions for Zelda:
-When Nintendo reveals more Revolution info (hopefully by the end of the year, as promised), a more solid release date for Zelda should also be given, likely Q2 2006.
-When (or if) Nintendo shows up at GDC 2006 to speak, the exact May release date should revealed, May 1 if I had to take a guess.
-At E3 two weeks later, one of Nintendo's bullet points during the press conference is the phenomenal early sales numbers of Zelda for the GameCube, using that as an explanation as to why the GC is still a viable console in the marketplace
-Zelda sales taper off quicker than expected, but the game still moves until the Revolution launch later in 2006
-Zelda sales pick up again after the Revolution launch with non-GameCube owners picking up the game with their new Revolution

If Nintendo offers a free classic Zelda game Revolution download with purchase of Twilight Princess (for the GameCube), then you can call me Mentok the Mind Taker.

I'm a bit skeptical. Majora's Mask didn't sell well and it was a great game. I hope the new generation doesn't drown out the Zelda news. With gamecube dropping to about $15, people might care.

Ironclad

I'm hoping for April but a little sooner would be great as well. I could very well see them adding a label that says it is compatible with the revolution and I wouldn't see why they wouldn't do it. As far as it selling, it depends on how they market it, especially if they pitch the ability to play it on Rev.

This game will sell. Oh god will it ever. It will be the best game there's ever been. For Nintendo to be so smug... to move the date around to such a strange time... after christmas... so close to Revolution.

This is one of those games that trascends rhyme or reason. It will sell because it's THAT good. Many Cubes and Revos are gonna be sold based on this game alone.

Xellotah

suaveric said:
I hope at the very least playing the game on the Rev will give it some sort up graphical bump.

It don't think it would be too difficult to add a few extra filters to the graphics on the rev.

Oblivion

huzkee said:
This game will sell. Oh god will it ever. It will be the best game there's ever been. For Nintendo to be so smug... to move the date around to such a strange time... after christmas... so close to Revolution.

This is one of those games that trascends rhyme or reason. It will sell because it's THAT good. Many Cubes and Revos are gonna be sold based on this game alone.

You're optimism is inspirational. :)

I just hope you're right.

What if they did this ....

Dual format game -- the same disc works on both GCN or Revolution.

If you have a Revolution, you get better graphics/higher resolution textures/smoother framerate.

It will still play on GameCube, but with the current visuals.

Launch it in September day and date with the Revolution launch. Let the game have its own unique packaging ... pure gold with non-descript GameCube and Revolution logos at the bottom to indicate it plays on both machines.

That way its a Revolution launch title, but those GameCube owners who aren't ready to upgrade or whatever can also play it on their old GameCube machines. It's also a good business move because it could see an increased sales boost selling to GameCube owners and Revolution early-adopters on the same day.

If you've waited until April 2006, you can wait a few more months IMO. As an extra "thank you" for GameCube owners that stuck around, Nintendo/Namco should port Mario Kart Arcade GP for the GCN next year as well (I want the Revolution Mario Kart to be made by EAD though, not Namco).

Oblivion

soundwave05 said:
(I want the Revolution Mario Kart to be made by EAD though, not Namco).

So do I, but I don't want EAD fucking it up...again. At this point, Namco's MK seems like it's kicking the shit out of DD 3 ways from Sunday.

I want the Mario Kart DS team to do Mario Kart Revolution, AFIAK that's EAD.

Give GCN owners Mario Kart Arcade GP in April instead with a nice new battle mode included.

Then release Zelda in September alongside Revolution, but it'll still play on GameCube also.

It's not that different of a strategy from what you're going to see with Blu-Ray movies next year -- you'll get the high definition Blu-Ray movie on a disc, but also the regular lower-res DVD version in case you need to play the movie on a regular DVD player. Many movies will be dual-format in that sense.

Oblivion

soundwave05 said:
I want the Mario Kart DS team to do Mario Kart Revolution, AFIAK that's EAD.

It most likely is. I'm just saying EAD didn't put in too much effort with DD. However, DS on the hand is a whole other ball game :).

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
soundwave05 said:
What if they did this ....

Dual format game -- the same disc works on both GCN or Revolution.

If you have a Revolution, you get better graphics/higher resolution textures/smoother framerate.

It will still play on GameCube, but with the current visuals.

Launch it in September day and date with the Revolution launch. Let the game have its own unique packaging ... pure gold with non-descript GameCube and Revolution logos at the bottom to indicate it plays on both machines.

That way its a Revolution launch title, but those GameCube owners who aren't ready to upgrade or whatever can also play it on their old GameCube machines. It's also a good business move because it could see an increased sales boost selling to GameCube owners and Revolution early-adopters on the same day.

Too confusing.

capslock said:
Too confusing.

How's it too confusing?

If you have a GameCube, it'll play on your GameCube.

If you have Revolution, it'll play on your Revolution, just with better graphics.

You don't have to worry about which version you're buying like the "release one version and release version 1.2 a few months later" strategy.

It gives the Revolution launch a boost, it gives the GameCube a send-off title, and it sells more copies for Nintendo all around. Win-win.

It's not so different from the Game Boy - Game Boy Color situation ... certain GB games ran fine on the older Game Boy model, but had enhanced color palletes for the GBC.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
soundwave05 said:
How's it too confusing?

If you have Revolution, it'll play on your Revolution, just with better graphics.

You don't have to worry about which version you're buying like the "release one version and release version 1.2 a few months later" strategy.

It gives the Revolution launch a boost, it gives the GameCube a send-off title, and it sells more copies for Nintendo all around. Win-win.

It's not so different from the Game Boy - Game Boy Color situation ... certain GB games ran fine on the older Game Boy model, but had enhanced color palletes for the GBC.

It might be simple for you and I, but try explaining it to the casuals.

Timbuktu

soundwave05 said:
How's it too confusing?

It's no different really from the Game Boy - Game Boy Color situation ... certain GBC games ran fine on the older Game Boy model, but have enhanced color palletes for the GBC.

I don't think they would market it as a Rev game as well as a GC game. As mentioned before, Rev isn't just about updated graphics and TP would give the wrong impression, especially if it can't match other Rev games. I would say market it as a GC game, maybe some extras on Rev, maybe even bundle it with Rev, but it shouldn't be the signature Rev launch title.

capslock said:
It might be simple for you and I, but try explaining it to the casuals.

"Buy it. It'll work on your GameCube. Or it'll work on your new Revolution if you have one".

Not really that different from telling a casual that a software program they're buying runs on both Windows 98 and Windows XP so they don't have to worry about compatibility. Or Half-Life 2 running on different gaming rigs.

The Zelda: Majora's Mask situation was actually more complicated, because people had to have a RAM Expansion Pak, and not everyone had one or understood what that was.

Really to me it just seems absurd to blow a big-time killer app as basically a "thank you" to a few loyal fans that stuck around on the GameCube ... if they must have Zelda on GCN then fine, let them have it, but let those of us getting a shiny new Revolution enjoy the game with its legs stretched out a bit next-gen style please.

Let's say the game does get delayed until around the time revolution is launching. There's a couple of interesting ways they could encourage people to buy the game but also encourage them to upgrade and buy the Revolution when it comes out.

a) Include a demo version of an upcoming post-launch Revolution game.

b) Include a disc or pincode that unlocks one or more 'virtual console' Zelda games for download on the Revolution.

SantaC

For Nintendos sake I hope this game isn't their big game at E3 AGAIN. I am hoping it has a releasedate at end of April or early may.

xexex

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
For Nintendos sake I hope this game isn't their big game at E3 AGAIN. I am hoping it has a releasedate at end of April or early may.

i was just thinking of the very same thing yesterday. i hope not also.

koam

I want Nintendo to take their sweet time with this one but at the same time, I kinda feel bad that its coming out on a dead console. I really would not have minded if this came out on the Rev with slightly better graphics and used the shell.

Edit: Actually scrap that second part, people would bitch like hell if it's a revolution title. Release it on Gamecube a month prior to the Rev launch and make a commercial which says "Works on the Gamecube and Revolution platforms" or something to that extent.

xexex

Banned
koam said:
I want Nintendo to take their sweet time with this one but at the same time, I kinda feel bad that its coming out on a dead console. I really would not have minded if this came out on the Rev with slightly better graphics and used the shell.

Edit: Actually scrap that second part, people would bitch like hell if it's a revolution title. Release it on Gamecube a month prior to the Rev launch and make a commercial which says "Works on the Gamecube and Revolution platforms" or something to that extent.

that would be fine.

ghibli99

I can't wait for this game... having just finished The Minish Cap a few months ago, it reminded me why Nintendo games, for the most part, are still able to capture my imagination like they did back in the NES days.

This game should sell just fine, regardless of the platform. I'm glad it's coming to the GC, because I don't want to wave the damn remote around in the air for 40 hours. :) I don't know what all the arguing is about, or how it's going to affect your enjoyment of the title in any way. Gunstar Heroes sold what, like 5 copies on the Genesis :lol, but it remains a classic, and Treasure went on to make a remake/sequel that also kicked butt, although it was some 10+ years later. Nintendo will continue to make Zelda games for a loooong, long time. The day they turn Zelda into Shadow the Hedgehog is when I'll start complaining. :lol

The Wind Waker sold quite well... 3 million is nothing to sneeze at, especially when you consider the odds the game faced with the completely polarizing new visual style (I loved it, but Link needs a motorboat next time).

I think it's safe to say that The Twilight Princess's visual style has more supporters than detractors, and should find a home in far more gamers' hands than The Wind Waker.

xexex

Banned
ghibli99 said:
I can't wait for this game... having just finished The Minish Cap a few months ago, it reminded me why Nintendo games, for the most part, are still able to capture my imagination like they did back in the NES days.

This game should sell just fine, regardless of the platform. I'm glad it's coming to the GC, because I don't want to wave the damn remote around in the air for 40 hours. :) I don't know what all the arguing is about, or how it's going to affect your enjoyment of the title in any way. Gunstar Heroes sold what, like 5 copies on the Genesis :lol, but it remains a classic, and Treasure went on to make a remake/sequel that also kicked butt, although it was some 10+ years later. Nintendo will continue to make Zelda games for a loooong, long time. The day they turn Zelda into Shadow the Hedgehog is when I'll start complaining. :lol

The Wind Waker sold quite well... 3 million is nothing to sneeze at, especially when you consider the odds the game faced with the completely polarizing new visual style (I loved it, but Link needs a motorboat next time).

I think it's safe to say that The Twilight Princess's visual style has more supporters than detractors, and should find a home in far more gamers' hands than The Wind Waker.

well said.

suaveric

The only problem I can see with releasing the game at the Rev's launch (as a dual-format game) is that it wouldn't make use of the Rev's controller at all. I think releasing it a few months before Rev but having it get a graphical boost if played on it is the best option. Games launching with the Rev will have to make use of the controller. The public has to be sold on that aspect of the console ASAP. Having a game that has no use for that would be counter-productive.

Oblivion

I'm just worried that TP will suffer from MM syndrome, coming at the very end of the console's life and not nearly as many people caring for it.

Sure, I didn't buy MM on day one like I did with Ocarina (I felt it wasn't going to be nearly as good as Ocarina, and I was right ;) ), but I would assume everyone else would have.

monkeyrun

xexex said:
it better not, cause it's basicly the only current-gen game i'm looking forward too, aside from Ace Combat Zero.

April as it is, is SO far away. it's not even close. sigh. Zelda: TP is the closest thing to the Zelda i expected on Gamecube 5 years ago. i'm so tired of waiting. i wonder what areas / dungeons / bosses / towns / senarios Nintendo is adding to it with the extended development time. i dont think the graphics will be improved and i dont care, they're fine as they are. I also don't really expect anything added for Revolution, and no, i dont expect it to be released for Revolution instead of Cube.....

sorry for this rambling.
it'll most probably launch a little while before Revolution.

monkeyrun

Error2k4 said:
Zelda wouldn't be in the Rev, because doing so will go against Nintendo whole mantra of Revolution being "a total new way of playing games" having Nintendo's best franchise play the traditional way on Revolution will contradict what they are trying to push with the system.
I think saw an interview of Merrick stating that Zelda will include Revlution _enhanced_ feature.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Leatherface said:
Im sure that they will go ahead with the GC release, but i do have a feeling that they will also make an enhanced version for rev. This will satisfy both GC owners and Ninteno. The GC owners will be getting their game and Nintendo will have a strong Rev lineup if they include an enhanced version of Zelda for rev.

Top Bottom