• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

William & Kate Royal Wedding |OT| 2000 Guests, 8000 Media, Est.2Billion Watching

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
travisbickle said:
It's shocking. If I was the husband, I'd probably kill my wife in some elaborate "freak" car accident.
376a5968-1a8c-40de-8242-0b1c395c8d23.jpg

Problem?

Green Scar said:
Serious question? How do you think they're gonna hit 2 billion if it's not on in America
the same way soccer/football hits 2 billion without Americans watching it. the USA is only about 360 million if you count every man, woman and child. add to that, it will be 4am here (though earlier on the West Coast). I say they get about 20-30 million from the US, tops. the rest will come from:

screenshot20110426at122.jpg

...as well as all their neighboring countries. There's lots of people in them thar realms.

Fixed1979

Great OP, more for seeing the amount of people who are somehow upset by it than anything. I will be watching portions of it.

DeathNote said:
There's a lot of countries in the world? That's an estimate? I kind of rely on OPs to give accurate information?

True, probably should have been in the OP. The point I was trying to make was that America is MAD for this stuff. When I read that back I thought it was a bit weird tbh, but hey, whatever.

gerg

Angry Fork said:
Why is this important? Honest question. Why are 'royal families' and all that still important across seas? Kings, Queens etc. I can't believe there's still countries that have dynasties and family heir's and all that BS. It was cool during feudal Japanese times and roman times and shit but it's 2011 that royalty stuff has gotta go.

The British Royal Family lowers taxes and brings in tourists' money. I don't see what harm they do.

Angry Fork said:
Why is this important? Honest question. Why are 'royal families' and all that still important across seas? Kings, Queens etc. I can't believe there's still countries that have dynasties and family heir's and all that BS. It was cool during feudal Japanese times and roman times and shit but it's 2011 that royalty stuff has gotta go.

its nice to have a bit of pomp and circumstance every now then

Monarchy serves no purpose in the modern age. And before you argue with that, you should know that I play Civ so I know about these things.

Also, there's no way 2 billion people will be watching. That's almost a third of the world's population.

Wes

venison crêpe
DeathNote said:
Can you watch it in USA?
BBC: The BBC is hosting the TV coverage and pooling its coverage for U.S. networks, but stresses that it is not making any profit out of the wedding.
NBC/ITN/ITV: NBC News has partnered with ITN for its royal wedding coverage. NBC will base 50 staff at the central London production base of ITN, the news arm of ITV which is co-producing NBC's coverage. The U.S. broadcaster will offer 20 hours of combined coverage with MSNBC on the wedding day.
FOX/Sky: Fox News is not paying for its feed because Sky News is already one of the 3 official UK networks covering the event. Fox News is shipping in at least 50 staff from American offices. Shepard Smith and Martha MacCallum will anchor live coverage of the wedding beginning at 1 AM PT.
CNN:
CNN already has 75 staff in its London bureau. But Piers Morgan will be the linchpin of the network’s coverage, believing that his British accent and London connections will give him the edge over rival presenters.
ABC: Diane Sawyer and Barbara Walters will anchor ABC's live coverage of the wedding of beginning at 1 AM PT on April 29, followed by a live West Coast edition of Good Morning America hosted by Robin Roberts live from Westminster Abbey.
CBS: Outgoing CBS Evening News anchor and former Today star Katie Couric will lead live coverage of the event. Couric will also anchor a one-hour primetime special at 8 PM that night, airing against NBC's special hosted by Matt Lauer and Meredith Vieira.

Survey says yes you can.

Sir Fragula said:
I hate everything about this subject. Someone needs to go Cromwell on their arses.

Cromwell was an asshole. No-one needs to mimic him, ever. I'd rather be in a country ran by a monarchy than one ran by some weird religious fanatics.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
In general, only other royalty are invited? No foreign heads of state have been invited.

Mr. Bean is going though.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Green Scar said:
True, probably should have been in the OP. The point I was trying to make was that America is MAD for this stuff. When I read that back I thought it was a bit weird tbh, but hey, whatever.
"The sodding thing is going to be everywhere though really." does kind of take care of other countries now that I think about it.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Green Scar said:
Cromwell was an asshole. No-one needs to mimic him, ever. I'd rather be in a country ran by a monarchy than one ran by some weird religious fanatics.
Defender of The Faith.

Wes

venison crêpe
ChiTownBuffalo said:
In general, only other royalty are invited? No foreign heads of state have been invited.

Foreign Royalty plus heads of state/dignitaries of commonwealth nations looks to be the general idea.

gerg

ChiTownBuffalo said:

IIRC, Commonwealth heads of state have been invited, but that's it.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Wes said:
BBC: The BBC is hosting the TV coverage and pooling its coverage for U.S. networks, but stresses that it is not making any profit out of the wedding.
NBC/ITN/ITV: NBC News has partnered with ITN for its royal wedding coverage. NBC will base 50 staff at the central London production base of ITN, the news arm of ITV which is co-producing NBC's coverage. The U.S. broadcaster will offer 20 hours of combined coverage with MSNBC on the wedding day.
FOX/Sky: Fox News is not paying for its feed because Sky News is already one of the 3 official UK networks covering the event. Fox News is shipping in at least 50 staff from American offices. Shepard Smith and Martha MacCallum will anchor live coverage of the wedding beginning at 1 AM PT.
CNN:
CNN already has 75 staff in its London bureau. But Piers Morgan will be the linchpin of the network’s coverage, believing that his British accent and London connections will give him the edge over rival presenters.
ABC: Diane Sawyer and Barbara Walters will anchor ABC's live coverage of the wedding of beginning at 1 AM PT on April 29, followed by a live West Coast edition of Good Morning America hosted by Robin Roberts live from Westminster Abbey.
CBS: Outgoing CBS Evening News anchor and former Today star Katie Couric will lead live coverage of the event. Couric will also anchor a one-hour primetime special at 8 PM that night, airing against NBC's special hosted by Matt Lauer and Meredith Vieira.

Survey says yes you can.
Damn, you know a lot about this.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Dreams-Visions said:
the same way soccer/football hits 2 billion without Americans watching it. the USA is only about 360 million if you count every man, woman and child. add to that, it will be 4am here (though earlier on the West Coast). I say they get about 20-30 million from the US, tops. the rest will come from:

screenshot20110426at122.jpg

...as well as all their neighboring countries. There's lots of people in them thar realms.
It's going to be reaired and replayed across several different networks several times throughout the day here in the States, including primetime specials on virtually all major networks.

It will be seen by a massive number of Americans. Maybe not completely live, but same day at least.

MetatronM said:
It's going to be reaired and replayed across several different networks several times throughout the day here in the States, including primetime specials on virtually all major networks.

It will be seen by a massive number of Americans. Maybe not completely live, but same day at least.
oh well in that case, sure. the networks will make sure of that, as they believe this will be a cash cow for them.

(that's the real reason it's airing so much in America. paydays for networks)

C.Dark.DN

Banned
MetatronM said:

Usually the number watching is live tho right?

PowderedToast

Canova said:
Why the heck Brits still care about royal family in the 21st century?
i feel like a lot of it is to do with the massive push the british media is giving it, which makes the average joe think it's important to them. ask anyone who's got a ounce of independent thought and they don't give a shit.

Yeah I'm with Harrison Ford on this one. Luckily I've managed to keep myself almost completely royal wedding free so far, and will be continuing to do so up to and including the day itself. On Friday, I'll probably be round a friends house having a few beers and playing Saints Row 2. Thankfully the citizens of Stillwater don't give a shit about the royals.

bbagwell

Messypandas said:
its nice to have a bit of pomp and circumstance every now then

This. People will watch for the same reason they are riveted to a state funeral or a whisp of smoke coming from a chimney in St. Peter's Square.

There is so much history involved with the process, makes me want to watch a Vincent Price AIP flick.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Green Scar said:
He was a Puritan!

...right? I haven't done history in forever. I was always taught he was a bit of a religious nutjob. He banned Christmas.
Yes.

I was talking about the Monarch being head of the church.

Cromwell can burn for eternity in the deepest part of Hell, the fucker.

Canova said:
isn't some of your tax money used to finance their lifestyle?
About 65 pence a year.

CHEEZMO™ said:
Yes.

I was talking about the Monarch being head of the church.

Cromwell can burn for eternity in the deepest part of Hell, the fucker.

Oh, haha, righto, I was getting confused for a moment there. Glad to see we're on the right footing.

iNvidious01 said:
most watched event ever, i dont get it

What else could pull such a global audience? The only things that could come close are global sporting events. And even then it's only the World Cup final, Champions League Final and Olympics.

Canova

Banned
D4Danger said:
yeah but they do bring in a lot of money with tourism and whatnot.

it all works out

besides their over-glorified weddings, do they really attract tourists? honest question, cause I never paid any attention to any of their matters

gerg

Canova said:
besides their over-glorified weddings, do they really attract tourists? honest question, cause I never paid any attention to any of their matters

Places like Buckingham Palace and other related sites (like the Tower of London) do.

Loving the story about Buckingham Palace turning all the lights out at 1am on the morning of the wedding just as prime time US TV networks go on air live from outside the Palace. They could be standing anywhere for all the viewers will know!

Meadows

Banned
Please can we not have the argument of monarchy vs abolishment. We've had it in EVERY other thread on this matter and even some others not related to the wedding. Some agree, some disagree, let's just focus on the wedding.

Hixx

woodsey1982 said:
Loving the story about Buckingham Palace turning all the lights out at 1am on the morning of the wedding just as prime time US TV networks go on air live from outside the Palace. They could be standing anywhere for all the viewers will know!

It will be like 9am UK time....

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Meadows said:
Please can we not have the argument of monarchy vs abolishment. We've had it in EVERY other thread on this matter and even some others not related to the wedding. Some agree, some disagree, let's just focus on the wedding.
Yeah.

The first thing I thought of when i saw this thread was"Aw, I bet it's gonna be full of republicans talking shit."
Not been that bad so far...

Tenks

Lone_Prodigy said:
Same, but after watching all those news stories about look-a-likes, she's actually got quite ordinary features.

It's probably the accent.

I've never heard her talk. I just get the vibe from her she gives wild head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom