• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

Steam is having a hard time starting up properly on my laptop now for some reason, but fine on another PC
Might be related to the service, last night I was having issues with it firing up correctly. Turned out others were also having problems, and the Steam Community site content was screwed for an hour or so.

This is annoying me.

When I hook my laptop to a monitor and drag from the laptop screen to monitor, the toolbars blow up really large on Powerpoint.

How can I stop this?!

http://imgur.com/aFcC8kW

It looks like a DPI scaling issue. Go to settings-->system and on that 1st page make sure the slider for "Change the size of text, apps, and other items" is at 100% for both displays - your laptop screen and the 2nd monitor.

That should fix your problem.

Kssio_Aug

One issue I've been noticing since I installed the Creators Update, is that it seems the system is having trouble removing some files. It's the 3rd or 4th time I have trouble deleting something after the update was installed, while it rarely happened in any previous Windows version I had.

The last two were gifcam zip file and now kdiff3.exe (a file from Witcher 3 Script Merger). Tried removing them with CCleaner with no success, tried resetting the computer and nothing. The gifcam zip file I managed to remove it later (it simply decided to work) but still no luck with the kdiff3.exe.

I mean, I'm not 100% sure if that's an issue related to the Windows 10 update, but if it isn't it's a big coincidence.

Edit: Rebooted the computer in Safe Mode and managed to delete the kdiff3.exe. I'm pretty sure it is related to this Creators Update.

Touch scrolling seems to feel smoother, too. It could be placebo, though. Can you confirm it?

It is indeed very smooth now, but it's been a while since I used it on my surface to really tell any difference.

Edit: it also supports the media controls when changing volume or in lock screen (unfortunately no playing with the screen turned off like others uwp apps)

I love the wp keyboard on Windows now. Excellent for single hand typing, specially when holding in portrait.

I do miss a way to move the cursor in that mode though.

I love the wp keyboard on Windows now. Excellent for single hand typing, specially when holding in portrait.

I do miss a way to move the cursor in that mode though.

Yeah, I keep my SP4 on Release Preview cause it's my main machine, but I'm really looking forward to getting that keyboard on the machine this fall.

d00d3n

I have a desktop PC with Windows 10 education installed and I just bought a surface laptop that will have Windows 10 pro when I upgrade.

Can I use my Windows store apps (purchased on the desktop) on both machines? Can both machines run the same apps simultaneously?

dLMN8R

I have a desktop PC with Windows 10 education installed and I just bought a surface laptop that will have Windows 10 pro when I upgrade.

Can I use my Windows store apps (purchased on the desktop) on both machines? Can both machines run the same apps simultaneously?

Yes you can install apps on up to 10 devices attached to the same account.

Simultaneous usage depends on the app/game. Some like Xbox Play Anywhere games (Forza, Gears, etc.) only allow you to play in one place at a time. Most ordinary apps will let you use them in multiple places simultaneously.

d00d3n

Yes you can install apps on up to 10 devices attached to the same account.

Simultaneous usage depends on the app/game. Some like Xbox Play Anywhere games (Forza, Gears, etc.) only allow you to play in one place at a time. Most ordinary apps will let you use them in multiple places simultaneously.

Thanks!

Akai__

I have a terrible issue with creating new user accounts. I already have 1 Admin and 1 User account on my main PC, but:

• If I create a new Standard User Account, I can't log in into it, because it just loads for a while in the log-in screen, then says something like signing off immediately and asks me to sign in again.
  • If I create a new Admin User Account, I can log in, but nothing is loading on the Desktop. Desktop background is black, no Desktop shortcuts, Task Bar is not clickable and Right Click does nothing.

I had a Guest Account on this PC before and deleted it, as soon as I didn't need it anymore. Guess one of the updates broke it?

Chumley

Banned
After latest update it's saying virus protection needs to be restarted "threat service has stopped" with a red x over it but when i click restart nothing happens. Anyone have any idea what I'm supposed to do to fix this?

Having some issues with files on demand.

One folder won't sync some files (they are not big or anything, just won't sync. And if I try to open them manually they open fine, but other programs that need them give me errors.

The other issue is that searching for files makes all the files appear in the search have names like CB000000001234 instead of the correct one.

I also miss metro apps being able to stream the placeholder files from onedrive, instead of downloading first them using it. It was perfect for videos.

dLMN8R

Having some issues with files on demand.

One folder won't sync some files (they are not big or anything, just won't sync. And if I try to open them manually they open fine, but other programs that need them give me errors.

The other issue is that searching for files makes all the files appear in the search have names like CB000000001234 instead of the correct one.

I also miss metro apps being able to stream the placeholder files from onedrive, instead of downloading first them using it. It was perfect for videos.

Since you're using files on demand you must be on insider builds, so if you're on insider builds you should report the issue using feedback hub and maybe also post it on the official subreddits that Microsoft employees monitor.

Since you're using files on demand you must be on insider builds, so if you're on insider builds you should report the issue using feedback hub and maybe also post it on the official subreddits that Microsoft employees monitor.

I did use the feedback tool, but I posted here because I knew you would see :D

Can you link me to the official subreddits?

Edit: Oh, I forgot to ask. On another topic, is MS moving away for the people as circles paradigms? The feedback hub now shows a losango with your profile picture (looks much better honestly)

Edit: Oh, I forgot to ask. On another topic, is MS moving away for the people as circles paradigms? The feedback hub now shows a losango with your profile picture (looks much better honestly)

People are like lasagna...

They have layers.

dLMN8R

No idea what the designers are cooking up. But the reddits I'm talking about are just the Windows 10 subreddit and such:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/

I usually see employees pop in there.

derFeef

I am having troubles opening up the store. It's loading endlessly unless I close it down and open up again, eventually it works. Happens with both of my PC's.

I wonder if two feature updates per year are too much to handle. First they announced My People and a bunch of other features for the Creator's Update or something that ties into it at an event and it gets cut. MyPeople and Xbox Arenas got bumped to the Fall Creator's Update, the 3D scanning stuff is still MIA.

Now the Timeline feature for the Fall Creator's Update, presented at another event on stage, gets cut as well and bumped to the next update.

I'm not that annoyed, because I obviously don't want buggy features that don't work, but missing dates like that kinda dampens the excitement for future announcements.

I wonder if two feature updates per year are too much to handle. First they announced My People and a bunch of other features for the Creator's Update or something that ties into it at an event and it gets cut. MyPeople and Xbox Arenas got bumped to the Fall Creator's Update, the 3D scanning stuff is still MIA.

Now the Timeline feature for the Fall Creator's Update, presented at another event on stage, gets cut as well and bumped to the next update.

I'm not that annoyed, because I obviously don't want buggy features that don't work, but missing dates like that kinda dampens the excitement for future announcements.
I'm definitely in the camp that they should prioritize system and feature stability over new features. It's disappointing when they announce things and then delay them, but at least they're up front with the delays in advance of the update coming out.

To try and cut a long story short I purchase a Surface Pro yesterday which will arrive tomorrow.

I haven't used Windows in years as I've been on MacOS.

The last version of Windows I used was Windows 7. Is Windows 10 going to be a massive learning curve or is it pretty similar to 7?

Mr_Zombie

It's pretty similar. There are some crucial changes here and there:
* Control Panel is slowly being replaced by the Settings app
* menu start now looks and acts differently: you have a list of all applications and a panel with pinned icons of varied sizes
* some build-in apps (Image browser, music player, video player, Outlook Express, IE) are replaced by more modern applications
* menu in Windows Explorer is replaced by ribbon (basically, a list of tabbed icons)
* the system design is more flat and simple

It's pretty similar. There are some crucial changes here and there:
* Control Panel is slowly being replaced by the Settings app
* menu start now looks and acts differently: you have a list of all applications and a panel with pinned icons of varied sizes
* some build-in apps (Image browser, music player, video player, Outlook Express, IE) are replaced by more modern applications
* menu in Windows Explorer is replaced by ribbon (basically, a list of tabbed icons)
* the system design is more flat and simple

Cool, thanks for the information. Hopefully I'll adjust!

How in the hell do I get rid of this fucking SMS ad? I don't give two shits about Cortana's SMS ability.

Rg9GFQk.png

Jesus I don't know how, but Ms managed to make the touch keyboard a lot worse since the update that brought the mini one from Win mobile (that one works well).

Yesterday I also had to edit a document on Word for Android and the keyboard was just as bad. How can Ms f*ck this up so badly?

In both cases, keypresses not recognized, not putting an space after selecting a word, and if you don't space yourself it will mess with the things you typed prior the carret position (for example you type dont, chose the don't from the suggestion and when you type the next word for example eat the result becomes something like don'ateata). Another very annoying one is when the suggestion appends to what you just wrote instead of replacing it. In the example above hit would be dontdon't.

I reported it of course, but how that gets so bad in a shipping code?

I see, thank you..
We had a Windows 10 Workshop a few weeks ago and the tutor told us, that the cmd is removed in the next update, so I was confused.

It led to some confusion, but Microsoft issued a statement to clarify the situation.

“Microsoft is not removing Cmd from Windows, but rather changing the default shell, launched via File Explorer and the [Win] + [X] power-user menu, from CMD to PowerShell. Users can opt to change the default shell back to Cmd via Settings and can continue to launch whichever shell they prefer, be it CMD, PowerShell, or Bash (if enabled) via the Start menu. The Windows Cmd shell has a long heritage and is an essential tool used by millions of businesses, users, and developers every day. It remains an integral part of Windows.”

ArchAngel

I need help. My screen sould shut down after 2 minutes and this always worked. Since the 1703 update, Windows 10 mostly shows a black picture and the monitor is still active (= shining black screen). As soon as I move the mouse, Windows comes back to screen like normal. Is this a known bug and has anyone a solution to this?

Gattsu25

Banned
So I got the Creator's Update installed last night and now I can't play Guild Wars 2.

Fucking fantastic.

I get a black screen to flash on my primary monitor and then, instead of the game taking up the screen, it goes away within a second. Then, my primary monitor just shows the desktop however nothing is clickable on it.

I have to use my secondary monitor to bring up the task manager, which appears on my primary monitor but is unclickable. So I press ALT+Space, arrow down to Move and hit enter, then press a few direction keys to get the move working and then and only then can I drag the task manager over to my secondary monitor where I can end the GW2 process.

I was able to play this game yesterday before the update. What should I do?

So I got the Creator's Update installed last night and now I can't play Guild Wars 2.

Fucking fantastic.

I get a black screen to flash on my primary monitor and then, instead of the game taking up the screen, it goes away within a second. Then, my primary monitor just shows the desktop however nothing is clickable on it.

I have to use my secondary monitor to bring up the task manager, which appears on my primary monitor but is unclickable. So I press ALT+Space, arrow down to Move and hit enter, then press a few direction keys to get the move working and then and only then can I drag the task manager over to my secondary monitor where I can end the GW2 process.

I was able to play this game yesterday before the update. What should I do?
Have you tried reinstalling graphics drivers?

Filben

Hey guys, I haven't installed the creator's update yet and I'm wondering if there are (still) potential issues coming with this update? I've heard from many users that the update broke the HDR support (for Mass Effect: Andromeda) and causing G-Sync problems, performance inconsistencies and games not running anymore (see Gattsu25). I've heard the 'gaming mode' is also more like a bag of empty promises.

My system runs super smooth and everything works as intended and I'm thinking about to not touch a running system.

Are there reasons that speak FOR the update?

UpdateOrchetsrator's Reboot Task has always been disabled for me, but Windows just restarted after an update... Checked again and yeah, still disabled. Am I missing something?
How do I completely disable Windows restarting by itself, ever?

The thought of losing work I've left rendering overnight terrifies me.

dLMN8R

Übermatik;245717232 said:
UpdateOrchetsrator's Reboot Task has always been disabled for me, but Windows just restarted after an update... Checked again and yeah, still disabled. Am I missing something?
How do I completely disable Windows restarting by itself, ever?

The thought of losing work I've left rendering overnight terrifies me.

Poking around scheduled tasks and messing with various services has always been unsupported, so you shouldn't expect hacks or workarounds suggested by random sites who aren't Microsoft to work as you might expect them to. There are many different pieces which work together to make updating happen.

Not only might random hacks and tweaks not work, but it also means that feature changes or bug fixes could "randomly" stop those hacks and tweaks from working, since Microsoft does not write code or test scenarios that aren't supported.

If you want to disable automatic restarts, you should follow the fully-documented and supported ways of doing so:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...aas-restart#group-policy-settings-for-restart

Specifically:
No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations
Use this policy to prevent automatic restart when a user is logged on. This policy applies only when the Configure Automatic Updates policy is configured to perform scheduled installations of updates.

maeh2k

Just found out that file history apparently doesn't back up the hidden AppData folder including my browser session files.

I had like half a dozen windows open in Opera with tons of tabs of e.g. interesting articles I didn't get around to reading... Since I collected those tabs over many months, I can't use the browser history to find them, either.

I'm pissed off that Windows file history apparently didn't back up the files. It shows some "previous versions", but restoring them fails and the AppData folder is not on my NAS.

And I'm pissed that Opera's session restorer is such a piece of shit. How hard can it be to keep a handful of ~1MB files safe? Why not keep the files of the last dozen sessions around just in case the browser manages to corrupt the "Last Session" file?

Edit: managed to restore my session from a ~1 week old Windows Image Backup (by mounting the image as a virtual drive). It's not as recent as I would have liked, since I cleaned up a whole bunch of tabs on Monday, but it's better than nothing.

clav

Random observation.

Looks like there's a Microsoft provided driver that works across all Realtek sound chipsets dated 7/27/2017.

Not sure how well it works as I'm not noticing a difference.

Hey everyone. I had a windows 10 update installed on the 9th and now my internet drops out after being active for about 10 minutes. I've reset the network connection, reinstalled the network driver, and I'm still having the same problem. I tried to roll it back and the rollback failed. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Any suggestions?

Also, this is on my main PC which is hard wired. Everything else in the house works fine on wifi so I'm assuming this is my main PC and the windows update fucked it up. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Can I prevent this kind of auto update in the future? I REALLY don't want to reinstall windows over this.

Top Bottom