• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

didn't realize my work pc was already on build 1709.

still trying to get my home pc to cooperate. still giving me the black screen when 50% or so installing.
may try the installation media if the update assistant doesn't work.

clav

Installation goes like this:

Stage 0. Setup checks internet for cumulative patches and downloads them. Asks user for agreement and confirms settings.

Stage 1. Windows backs up current OS and runs several migration programs to reinject your current files and settings into new OS. This part takes the longest. Setup creates new 450MB recovery partition at end of current OS partition if computer's current recovery partition is unavailable (too small due to Windows 8.1 legacy 350 MB size or none at all or inaccessible). Ideally setup should use existing recovery partition. Reboot. You can remove installation media since everything needed is copied.

Stage 2. Setup runs 0% to 30% unpacking install.wim containing new Windows. Reboot.

Stage 3. Setup detects hardware using drivers from new install starting from 30% to 70%. Halfway through it detects the GPU. Dont know if multi gpu or monitors complicate the process. Reboot.

Stage 4. Setup runs migration tools used in step 1 and reinjects settings and any old drivers that installation couldn't detect from 70% to 100%. No reboot.

Stage 5. First login. During the hello updates screen, Windows associates UWP apps to user account. Start.

Mr_Zombie

Updated the Windows to the newest Fall Update yesterday and no problems here (yet).

Well, the only problem I have is that the emoji panel (which should be opened by pressing Win + period) isn't working. :/

The People thing seems useful (I've just send my first email using it ;)), although that depends on how many apps will use that feature. Right now it's just Mail and Skype, but I haven't used Skype on PC in years.

The Fluent Design looks nice... when it's actually implemented. Microsoft really needs to put some work in unifying the UI.

ezodagrom

Updated to the fall creators update, several UWP apps went missing, even the Windows Store and Xbox apps themselves, I guess something got corrupted during the instalation process. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Guess I'll just rollback first thing tomorrow morning.

kyo2004

Updated to 1709, first thing I see is that finally they addressed the HUGE mistake with the namefile alignment... now is centered as always it should be :)

Drifters

So... something happened? I have to say, not using Windows anymore has been freeing. Sorry for those having issues updating.

This completely borked my start menu and. Majority of my pinned app tiles on both the start menu and taskbar are either invisible it non existent. Can search for the apps in the store and they are still installed and can be launched from there. Ridiculous. Laptop updated from Windows update. Didn't do it manually.

Windows 10 is by far the buggiest operating system Microsoft has ever released. I urge everyone to downgrade to 8.1 with classic shell. A fantastic stable rock solid experience with no ads or forced app downloads. Unless you need DX 12.0 you won't notice a difference.

Anything I should know before upgrading? I heard about that nasty user account bug that would totally wreck me. Fully expecting a bunch of obscure settings to reset too.

One tip: If you know anyone who uses Edge favorites, back them up prior upgrading. Somehow, MS still doesn't know how to back them up correctly especially in a multiple user setup.
How do I do this? I've never lost my favorites, but I wouldn't want to lose my old IE favorites.

ezodagrom

This completely borked my start menu and. Majority of my pinned app tiles on both the start menu and taskbar are either invisible it non existent. Can search for the apps in the store and they are still installed and can be launched from there. Ridiculous. Laptop updated from Windows update. Didn't do it manually.
That's what happened to me, but in my case, even the Windows Store itself is gone.

dLMN8R

As always, if you want to install a major Windows 10 feature upgrade with the least amount of risk, simply....don't do anything.

Don't do anything, don't force the update now, don't use any upgrade tools, just wait.

ezodagrom

As always, if you want to install a major Windows 10 feature upgrade with the least amount of risk, simply....don't do anything.

Don't do anything, don't force the update now, don't use any upgrade tools, just wait.
Mine was through Windows Update, not forced through the assistant.
I had to rollback because several apps were missing, even the Windows Store itself. The apps were still installed and working, but they were gone from the start menu (not just the tiles part of the start menu, but the programs list as well, and also don't appear in search).

Going back to the Creators Update fixed, tried the Fall Creators Update again, still broken, rolling back again and gonna see if I can defer the FCU.

(Meanwhile no problems at all with win32 programs, UWP is trash)

I had the same bug were the icons on the start screen corrupted on one of my devices. The only manual thing I did was saying it was ok to restart on the popup that told me about the newest update XD

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm trying to update to 1709, I did it through Windows update, it got to 30% after fully installing and rebooting but now the screen is just black and it has been for about 20 minutes?

EDIT: Turned off the PC after about 30 minutes of black screen and it reverted my version of Windows.

Edit2: Decided to do a fresh install, got the latest media tool and now I can't install Windows at all, it keeps crashing at the end on the we want everything to be ready for you screen, I have a cursor but that's it.

DonMigs85

Why does Windows think I have a "touchscreen with 2 touch points"? I'm just using a regular Lenovo T430 laptop with no touch support at all.

I've noticed something odd with Windows 10 on my machine (10 Pro 1803, x64). I run a Monero crypto miner in the background from time to time (using CPU only usually) and I notice it likes to slow down a lot when I don't have the command line window in focus. Does Windows 10 have some sort of thing where it has minimized windows use less CPU, or is it something to do with the hardware?

I have an AMD Ryzen 5 2600 processor.

Top Bottom