• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 Store |OT| Games for Windows

jelly

Using the windows store is like jumping 5 years back in time. So many features that are standard for a long time on other storefronts are just missing.

It's astounding how they are still behind on basic features. Microsoft have no excuse.

As for the app store, I would have a lot of praise for Microsoft if they didn't just copy the sea of crap that is the Apple app store and Google Play. Bring something new to the table, make it better.

Using the windows store is like jumping 5 years back in time. So many features that are standard for a long time on other storefronts are just missing.
It's because you're basically dealing with a mobile storefront trying to be a functional pc storefront.

It a novel idea to have one storefront for all but it needs some serious work

paischu

When I am looking at a game like Killer Instinct and GoW UE,the store says to me that I need an update to buy it.
I have updates set to automatically and whenever I go to the check for updates thingy there are no updates waiting for me. Last installed update was today.

I tried to switch Region from UK to Ireland, same thing. Anybody know of a solution? Need muh KI.

JaggedSac

That just adds to the retardation of the matter... jeez.
Let me guess, no pre-load.

Be careful using that word and it's derivatives, I've been banned for I.

Never thought about someone being confused by their retail store website. But I guess that could be confusing.

When I am looking at a game like Killer Instinct and GoW UE,the store says to me that I need an update to buy it.
I have updates set to automatically and whenever I go to the check for updates thingy there are no updates waiting for me. Last installed update was today.

I tried to switch Region from UK to Ireland, same thing. Anybody know of a solution? Need muh KI.

Known bug. You need to download the update manually. You have to be on 1511.

UraMallas

I want to download some Windows 10 games but it says my computer is not up to date, but it is. Anybody know what the deal is?

k2t2xFy.png

nVuww1j.png

Is this because my computer is too old and jank? Games like Oxenfree and Minecraft Story Mode are available for me to purchase. I have Windows 10, btw.

DonMigs85

Something's screwy with your machine. 10240 was the build that came out July last year.
10586.218 is the current build

scitek

So, I was just sent this job listing at Microsoft by one of those finder sites I get emails from. Thought it was kinda interesting.

Job Description

Position title: Associate Producer

Job Description :

We are looking for an experienced and detail-oriented game producer with a passion for console and PC games who can thrive in an exciting and fast-paced environment.

Responsibilities :

· Preparing daily builds for reviews

· Scheduling and coordinating playtests, logging issues, and following up on resolution

· Assisting in the coordination of Beta releases and ship-readiness efforts with partners including Test, Release Managers, and Marketing

Qualifications and Skills :

· 2-4 years of experience in PC game or software development

· Familiarity with the Windows 10 Application Lifecycle

· Familiarity with Visual Studio Team Services, or similar bug database

· Familiarity with PC Gaming Hardware features and specifications

· Familiarity with Microsoft Office software– Outlook, Excel, and Project

Pluses :

· Interest in tinkering, making and modding

· Interest in Halo

UraMallas

Another question.

I gave my QB PC code to a friend and they used it. It told him "Quantum Break is waiting for you in the store". He clicked on the store and the button says to purchase for full price.

Any ideas?

iNvid02

Another question.

I gave my QB PC code to a friend and they used it. It told him "Quantum Break is waiting for you in the store". He clicked on the store and the button says to purchase for full price.

Any ideas?

could try doing wsreset in cmd prompt to reset the store, then sign back in to see if it's there, otherwise support is the best bet, I don't think anybody really knows how the fucking store works

So, I was just sent this job listing at Microsoft by one of those finder sites I get emails from. Thought it was kinda interesting.

nice, if they're really going all in there's only one way to prove it

SliChillax

Sorry if this has been answered before but I've heard many times, including in the Quantum Break future patch notes, that MS would update the store in May. Any specific info on what will be updated and when?

iNvid02

2 down

• No SLI or CrossFire
    [*]VSync is Always On
    [*]GSYNC issues
  • Third Party Peripheral issues
  • Always Borderless Fullscreen Mode
  • No Modding
  • No Overlays

DonMigs85

2 down

• No SLI or CrossFire
    [*]VSync is Always On
    [*]GSYNC issues
  • Third Party Peripheral issues
  • Always Borderless Fullscreen Mode
  • No Modding
  • No Overlays
Don't forget the often terribly inaccurate download progress bar
Also other than DX9/11 games on the store, the overlays thing might be more to do with DX12 in particular. Steam disables its overlay now for Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Dolphin won't show an overlay in DX12 mode.

Ushay

Sorry if this has been answered before but I've heard many times, including in the Quantum Break future patch notes, that MS would update the store in May. Any specific info on what will be updated and when?

I think this will be with the Redstone update early next year?

M3d10n

From the Insider Preview (Redstone):
- Updated layout
- Download page finally shows download /update history
- UWP installer (install packaged UWPs from other sources)
- Support for wrapped-as-uwp win32 apps (project centennial)

Alexious

Hey guys, do you have any idea how to change language in Windows Store games?

I'd like it to be English, but I can't figure out how to change it. Should I change the local Windows region?

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Hey guys, do you have any idea how to change language in Windows Store games?

I'd like it to be English, but I can't figure out how to change it. Should I change the local Windows region?

For most games, just add English in the Windows languages and set it first, you don't need to set the Windows language to English for games to change language.

If you have an AZERTY keyboard, you can add it to the English language and delete the QWERTY keyboard, thus it does not switch to QWERTY when you change the language order.

For Forza Horizon 3, I think you have to also change the regional format of the date to English format for the game to be in English.

Zedox

Can't download Netflix at the moment. It pulls down a couple of meg and then errors out. Any ideas?

Click the profile icon, go to download and updates and check to see if you have any updates for the store app itself. Do a Windows Update as well. I just downloaded it successfully.

Lazaro

Can't download Netflix at the moment. It pulls down a couple of meg and then errors out. Any ideas?

Click on the download box (where it shows the Megabytes downloaded then errors out) it might tell you why.

If you told the store to install apps on another drive, you might want to try setting it back to your default drive where Windows is located, that sometimes helps.

Also you can run the Store troubleshooter.

Just click the search box on the taskbar and enter "troubleshooting" then click:

Troubleshooting
Control Panel

enter Windows Store into the searchbox of the control panel and run the provided troubleshooter, that should help also.

Otherwise Windows Store is just generally buggy.

dmix90

============================================================
Windows Store application launcher for Steam

You need to generate app executables using launcher itself or you will have to find application id's manually.

How to generate executables using StoreAppLauncher.
1. Run StoreAppLauncher_xXX.exe with administrator rights( Right Click -> Run as Administrator )
2. Check or uncheck 'Filter' checkbox( when it's active it should filter out various built in and service apps )
3. Click 'Generate" button in a dialog box, then _Applications folder should open where you will find generated executables you can use in Steam or anywhere else. There also should be _Applications.txt file which can provide a hint to an actual application name.

How to manually find Application ID:
1. Launch 'Go to Applications Folder' shortcut from archive you downloaded.
2. Press the F10 key on the keyboard. The window now should get a menu if there wasn't one already, click View -> Choose Details.
3. In the next dialog, tick the AppUserModelId checkbox.
4. Switch folder view mode to "Details".
5. Find application you need and look at AppUserModelID column it will show ID you looking for.
6. Enter this id as a parameter to StoreAppLauncher_xXX.exe or rename launcher executable to this id( for example it should look like this -> Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App.exe )

How to use launcher:
1. Copy -> Paste StoreAppLauncher_xXX to a folder( example D:\Games\WindowsStore\_Games\ ) where you
want to keep your app launchers.
2. Generate executables by using launcher itself or by manual method mentioned above.
3. Add executable you just generated as a Non-Steam Game using Steam UI.

OPTIONAL:
4. Find what you added in your library -> Right Click -> Properties.
5. Click -> Set Launch Options

Only four additional parameters are supported at this moment:

"-bigpicture":
Alt+Tab -> press Guide. You should hear "Beep" and get back to Steam Big Picture Interface.
Alt+F4 -> press Guide + Back. You should hear "Beep" , app should close and you should be back to Big Picture interface.
Win+G -> press RightThumb + Back, You should hear "Beep" and Windows 10 Game Bar should popup.

NOTE: To make Guide button work in this scenario you need to disable Guide button functionality in Xbox Game Bar options.

"-bigpicture0":
Alt+Tab -> press Back + Start + LeftTrigger. You should hear "Beep" and get back to Steam Big Picture Interface.
Alt+F4 -> press Back + Start + LeftTrigger + RightTrigger. You should hear "Beep" , app should close and you should be back to Big Picture interface.

"-downsampling":
Attempts to switch to maximum available screen resolution for primary display and switch back to previous one when application is closed.

"-maxres_XXXXxXXXX":
This parameter only works when paired with "-downsampling" parameter. It's purpose is to set maximum desired downsampling resolution using this parameter( example: -downsampling -maxres_2560x1440 ). This resolution must be available in Windows Display properties.

==============================================================================================================
Steam launch options example: -bigpicture -downsampling -maxres_2560x1440
Windows shortcut example: ..\_Games\Microsoft.SpartaUWP_8wekyb3d8bbwe!GearGameShippingPublic.exe -downsampling
==============================================================================================================

=============
VERSION 1.0.0
=============
Features:
1. Launch Windows Store apps through Steam with displayed status while app is running.
2. If explorer is not running launcher will attempt to start if first and then launch app itself, when app is closed launcher will try to close explorer as well. This is needed since Windows Store apps do not work without explorer. Should be useful to all 5 people in the world( hey bros! ) who use Steam Big Picture as their default Windows startup Shell :D
3. Automatic Windows Desktop resolution switch before launching app and restore previous resolution when app is closed. Should be useful for certain Windows Store games that do not properly support internal resolution scaling( Quantum Break, Killer Instinct, Forza 6 Apex, Forza Horizon 3 etc ). To use this add "-downsampling" parameter to your launch options. Limit maximum downsampling resolution with "-maxres_XXXXxXXXX" parameter.
4. Use "-bigpicture" parameter if you want to play Windows Store games using Steam Big Picture interface. Without this parameter you will control BP interface in background when you click Guide button during gameplay. With this parameter Guide button will be used as Alt+Tab keyboard shortcut. This parameter might affect controller input a little since when it's enabled it checks for button presses in background at the same time with game. More information on this parameter above.

Download Link > http://bit.ly/StoreAppLauncher_Latest (GitHub)

Please let me know if there are any issues. Did not test downsampling parameter with 21:9 displays, but i think it should work fine.

dmix90

Good stuff.

Do you want me to make a thread for you?
Not sure if this worth a thread. This stuff is extremely niche i think :)
Also this needs to be tested properly on various configurations first. I only tested this version on 2 machines. One with disabled UAC and various stuff and the other is basically default Win10 installation.

Alexious

I'm getting a new bug today. Whenever I start a game from Windows 10 Store, it crashes immediately. Tried rebooting several times, but it didn't help.

Don't know what to do, since you can't even do a file check like on Steam.

dmix90

This doesn't work for me anymore. It's opening the app 4-5 times and immediately closes, with an error message saying "To generate executables you should run this with admin rights: Right click -> Run as Administrator"

I've already generated the executables, and added them to Steam.

Anyone else with the same issue?
No issues on my end( Creators Update installed )

What happened? Did you install Creators update or something like that?

"To generate executables you should run this with admin rights: Right click -> Run as Administrator" - this message should only appear if application you trying to run is no longer installed or if you launching without providing app ID at all( via command line or by renaming StoreAppLauncher.exe to "AppID".exe )

can't find the tech support thread for ssome reason so I figure I'll ask around here instead.

my laptop originally comes with Win7, but I upgraded to Win10 during the free upgrade thing. now a while ago I had a little accident with the power and the laptop had to be restored. ever since then some stuff just doesn't run yhat well and I'm thinking about formatting and reinstalling everything. would my original code for the Win7 works with Win10 when I reinstall? or should I just install Win7 instead? much appreciated for helping clear this up for me.

Caayn

can't find the tech support thread for ssome reason so I figure I'll ask around here instead.

my laptop originally comes with Win7, but I upgraded to Win10 during the free upgrade thing. now a while ago I had a little accident with the power and the laptop had to be restored. ever since then some stuff just doesn't run yhat well and I'm thinking about formatting and reinstalling everything. would my original code for the Win7 works with Win10 when I reinstall? or should I just install Win7 instead? much appreciated for helping clear this up for me.
Do a refresh in Win10. This tells Win10 te reinstall itself, you can choose to do a clean install or keep things such as files and UWP apps.

Settings -> Updates & Security -> Recovery -> Reset this PC.

v0rtikal

God! first time I purchase something from the store (it may actually be the last) - Gears of War: Ultimate Edition and it's stuck at 14,13 gb... I've tried to pause and restart the download without much success ;(

My network is totally fine by the way.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
been trying to download Gears 4 over a three night span. Seriously downloading about 2 gigabytes per hour. Got to 80/110GB. The download paused and it started over at the beginning. I went back to Windows 7.

BigBoss

been trying to download Gears 4 over a three night span. Seriously downloading about 2 gigabytes per hour. Got to 80/110GB. The download paused and it started over at the beginning. I went back to Windows 7.

110GB? Are you shitting me?

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member

i think actually it's closer to 125. Windows 10 does not like my machine though. downloads are so slow and it doesn't recognize a connection half the time.

BadAss2961

I downloaded it a couple days ago... 116GB... There's no justifying this. Game is kinda meh too. Hadn't played Gears since the original, shit's barely changed and feels so outdated now.

On a better note, latest Rivatuner now works with UWP. So there goes that overlay problem.

Top Bottom