• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 Troubleshooting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE: Windows 10 is AVAILABLE NOW.

Here is a link to Microsoft's media creation tool.. that gives you the tool to upgrade. (helps make an ISO) Everyone who wants to FORCE Windows 10 an installation, please use this ISO tool to force your upgrade to WIndows 10.

I have also uploaded a x64 bit Windows 10 home iso to MEGA.. YMMV, but it should work.

We designed Windows 10 to create a new generation of Windows for the 1.5 billion people using Windows today in 190 countries around the world. With Windows 10, we start delivering on our vision of more personal computing, defined by trust in how we protect and respect your personal information, mobility of the experience across your devices, and natural interactions with your Windows devices, including speech, touch, ink, and holograms. We designed Windows 10 to run our broadest device family ever, including Windows PCs, Windows tablets, Windows phones, Windows for the Internet of Things, Microsoft Surface Hub, Xbox One and Microsoft HoloLens—all working together to empower you to do great things.

We are delighted to make Windows 10 available in 190 countries today. The launch of Windows 10 is being celebrated around the world with global fan celebrations and a new yearlong initiative to celebrate people and organizations making a difference around the world.

Enjoy the days going forward, as we troubleshoot it's most despairing form: the day zero version.

EDIT: a very in depth review, and introspect by Tested

Korey

I looked through those features and watched the video and there's still no reason to upgrade from Windows 7.

Vuze

Niiice. Will update my gaming partition to Windows 10 and stick to 7 on my work partition for a while I think.

I looked through those features and watched the video and there's still no reason to upgrade from Windows 7.

Well, from Windows 7 to Windows 8 there is already plenty to upgrade including faster boot times, slightly better performance in some games I think, better file transfer windows, better task manager.

I'm not sure about the specifics of Windows 10, and there seems to be little incentive for me to upgrade, even though I will. The new start screen seems cool to me, and it might be much better integrated with my Windows Phone, but I'll see. DX12 is a good reason too.

Don't be lazy and just upgrade.

Nokterian

Just saw the pop up in the right corner of windows and i am so ready for this!

o6ALN8u.gif

Windows 8.1 was in the right direction but hopefully this will be even better.

DX12 and the desktop manager thing are the things I'm looking forward to. I do wonder how long until we see any major game that utilize DX12 to it's potential though.

Edit: Not exited for "world’s first truly personal digital assistant" though. Thing seems more invasive than NSA.

xJavonta

Banned
There are tons of reasons to upgrade from 7. You should've upgraded from 7 to 8.1. Anyone staying behind is either using their PC for work or just too stubborn to change.

Stupid question: So if I buy a laptop now with the intention of upgrading, I should expect to wipe everything with the coming upgrade?

Went ahead and reserved the free upgrade.

I've used 7 for a long time and I'm happy with it but since it's free why not?

Mr.Pig

If you want to give developers an incentive to develop new and interesting apps for the windows eco system then you should upgrade.

danthefan

How is Windows 10 today? Guess it must be pretty decent if the full version releases in 6 weeks?

I see the pop up in the system tray on my PC and I'm close to just saying fuck it and upgrading.

There are tons of reasons to upgrade from 7. You should've upgraded from 7 to 8.1. Anyone staying behind is either using their PC for work or just too stubborn to change.

Everything is just way more snappy on Windows 8.1 from boot times, to loading games.

The jump from 7 to 10 will be glorious.

So do we get an option to download an ISO and do a clean install? Can't find any mention of it.

Don't think specifics are known yet. But I assume so unless they want people to go from Win 8 -> Win 10 every time they need a reformat. But Win 7 -> Win 8 was a bit weird with that too.

How is Windows 10 today? Guess it must be pretty decent if the full version releases in 6 weeks?

I see the pop up in the system tray on my PC and I'm close to just saying fuck it and upgrading.

Think they are constantly still making changes. Icons got an entire overhaul again about two days ago and added all kinds of features.

Oh wait. Cortana wasnt just a working title like Spartan Browser was?

Well it's already used on Windows Phone for like a year.

Korey

Care to list the "tons of reasons"?

It's not that I don't want to upgrade, it's that I have no reason to. All the "reasons" seem like things that most people don't need. Like they're trying hard to have reasons to have newer versions of Windows when 7 is pretty much perfect.

Icon about get windows 10 update just poped-up on my windows 8.1 system try.

Got that also on Windows 7, I "reserved" my copy but it's not going away. I don't plan on making the switch until a few weeks or months after its out. Hope it goes away when I restart because that being there constantly will get annoying.

Caayn

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a go.
Wait, you're joking, right? Upgrading to Windows 10 isn't really going to wipe my entire C drive, is it?
If you upgrade, only Windows will be replaced. Your files and programs will stay intact, although it isn't guaranteed that programs are compatible with the new OS version.

Doing a clean install will result in your drive being wiped.

Majine

Banned
Cool, looking forward to reviews and stuff.

Up to W8.1, I still prefer OSX for productivity but we'll see.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Wait, you're joking, right? Upgrading to Windows 10 isn't really going to wipe my entire C drive, is it?

Yeah joke. It's going to be like a service pack update. Download size is only 3gigs. Just reserved mine. But a clean install is preferable to avoid registry errors as many faced when upgrading windows 7.

Hmm, I am not seeing the reserve icon.
I'm guessing that's not a problem.

Restart the machine. I did this, and got the notification.

KevinCow

Banned

It's not that I don't want to upgrade, it's that I have no reason to. All the "reasons" seem like things that most people don't need. Like they're trying hard to have reasons to have newer versions of Windows when 7 is pretty much perfect.

Faster
More stable
More secure
Better compatibility with future programs

I honestly don't understand why somebody wouldn't upgrade when it's completely free.

Mailbox

Day 1

I'll probably back all my important stuff before upgrading, and so long as I can still use most of my daily applications (like clip studio paint), I'll be just dandy :)

M3d10n

XP was/is also "perfect" for a lot of people and 7 was just Vista with a new task bar.

glaurung

It will probably have an upgrade option. But best thing to do with a new OS is a clean install.
Yup. A clean install is where it's at.

I reserved my free upgrade, but I will be looking into getting a proper retail key as well. Upgrading Windows is a pain in the butt.
7 was just Vista with a new task bar.
If anyone from MS reads this, they'll either piss their pants laughing or cry. Windows 7 was pretty much a complete rewrite of the Windows core. Vista was a total failure whereas 7 was a properly good iteration. You could not be more wrong.

Everyone with Windows 8.1!

There is now a Windows icon on the right hand side of the task bar in the info pane. Click that to reserve your copy.

Dunno why we need to reserve a free upgrade. But whatever.

Zoned

Actively hates charity

7 is not perfect by any means. Even 8.1 is better than 7 in every possible way.

M3d10n

Everyone with Windows 8.1!

There is now a Windows icon on the right hand side of the task bar. Click that to reserve your copy.

Dunno why we need to reserve a free upgrade. But whatever.
Because it's only free for one year. If you reserve it now you can upgrade whenever you want, even past the free upgrade window.

So the stubborn old timers should still reserve so they can upgrade for free when MS drops 7 support in two years or so.

big_z

So do we get an option to download an ISO and do a clean install? Can't find any mention of it.

The day they offer that option or someone finds a way to make it happen is the day I move to windows 10.

I had to do a clean install of windows 7 a few weeks ago and its corrupt already due to some faulty update. Windows 7 was good for a long time but now it consists of layers of patches and updates to the point that its time to move on.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Which build did you manage to download right now? 10074 ISO or something newer?

Make sure you use the fast ring updates to get 10130.
Used the 10074 ISO.

How do I get in the fast ring? Don't I have to be part of insider for a certain amount of time? (Just signed up)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom