• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 11 Leaks

420bits

Yeah, it's definitely a minimal OS that is used on devices that are on an intranet and require minimal function, it shouldn't be used for everyday home use, but I run it in a VM and mess around with it to see how much i can break it. Browsers work on it, Office 2016 works on it, GIMP runs, etc. I have yet to test any games on it, we'll see. There are plenty of forums out there that guide you through disabling a lot of W10 bloatware instead of just running the LTSC version.
Yeah, that's how you do it. VM is the shit!

And also, stopping services and all that is so easy, there's plenty of PowerShell scripts ready to go to kill all the horrible stuff that "you" don't want for some reason (but one should be careful where you find it, running scripts you don't understand is by far worse than you not liking Cortana for some reason.

But I don't even do that anymore, everything just runs on my PC and why fix something thats not borken?
And the telemetry etc? Don't care either, I use googles services like gmail, google.com and other things they do, like android...
So pretty much ANYTHING I do is already in the hands on a corp a million times worse than MS.

Paasei

Looks more like an UI update for windows 10 than a whole new OS. I just want that fucking weather widget in my task bar gone that I just got from a very recent update.

I really like that wallpaper, though. Does anyone know where that's from?

Last edited:

Mithos

Yeah, it's definitely a minimal OS that is used on devices that are on an intranet and require minimal function, it shouldn't be used for everyday home use, but I run it in a VM and mess around with it to see how much i can break it. Browsers work on it, Office 2016 works on it, GIMP runs, etc. I have yet to test any games on it, we'll see. There are plenty of forums out there that guide you through disabling a lot of W10 bloatware instead of just running the LTSC version.
Yeah, that's how you do it. VM is the shit!

And also, stopping services and all that is so easy, there's plenty of PowerShell scripts ready to go to kill all the horrible stuff that "you" don't want for some reason (but one should be careful where you find it, running scripts you don't understand is by far worse than you not liking Cortana for some reason.

But I don't even do that anymore, everything just runs on my PC and why fix something thats not borken?
And the telemetry etc? Don't care either, I use googles services like gmail, google.com and other things they do, like android...
So pretty much ANYTHING I do is already in the hands on a corp a million times worse than MS.

One place to look at for debloating Windows 10 is: https://christitus.com/debloat-windows-10-2020/

Script is open source so you can look through it and see what it does (so it do not do any shady stuff).

What this script can do​

• Installs Chocolatey, Notepad++, Irfanview, VLC, Java, and asks if you want Adobe Reader or Brave.
  • Removes all Windows Store Apps EXCEPT office, xbox, and WSL.
  • Removed Telemetry
  • Disables Cortana
  • Deletes various schedules tasks that rebloat the system
  • Removes Other Bloatware (Candy Crush, etc.)
  • Fixes problems that other scripts causes (lock screen and personalization options restricted)

Based on User feedback, this no longer uninstalls OneDrive or Office.

Last edited:

TheContact

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
I agree with 7 looking the best. But i have also heard people who claimed 2000 was their best looking. Xp, vista, 7 was way too cartoony.
microsoft-windows-2000.png

That is the best looking windows no if’s or buts about it.

I still use only Windows 7 with classic theme. I upgraded to LTSC for Gamepass on my gaming rig but it would break with every update and wants normal Win10 to function cbf reformatting at the moment and stripping that version of Win10 down until it’s acceptable.

Kadve

There’s something to be said about the no nonsense straight to the point no frills approach of windows 2000.
Well it was designed for businesses use only, so makes sense they made it spartan.

It just ended up on many consumer PCs anyway thanks to how easy it was to pirate and reputation for being much better than 98 and even XP at some things.

(edit) Fun fact, Microsoft did toy around with the idea of releasing a consumer oriented version of 2000 with extra stuff like a built in firewall. It got tossed out the windows though when they decided to merge their business and consumer lines of Windows into what would become XP.

Last edited:

jonnyp

Can't wait to have three generations of disparate UI elements clashing with each other while they continue to remove basic user controls and any concept of consistency as my preferences are overruled with every update.

Nothing is gonna stop Gatesenstein's Monster!

I'm sure they'll have another upgrade in the first year for free scheme, to make people feel they have to.

When I bought my laptop it was supposed to come with Windows 7. . .it actually had 8 on it. It was a couple months before 10 was announced, so I could not get the vendor to give me a copy of 7, unfortunately, so I ended up getting an actual upgrade lol

But I'm sure lots of people got suckered with the 7 -> 10 "upgrade".

I just hope it doesn't fuck everything up. Windows 10 works perfectly fine.

MS not fucking everything up? :LOL:

It's such a shame they are the only game in town for a functional OS that can use mainstream programs and run games.

Last edited:
not even trying to not pretend to be iOS
it's nothing like iOS lol that's a mobile OS. they are trying to copy MacOS. i doubt MS will ever manage to be better than MacOS in terms of quality control/consistency and efficiency. Apple is on a whole other level when it comes to quality. There's no reason MS can't make Windows something really special it's just they don't seem to care much about it. Windows is full of bloat and it'd be a nightmare for MS to sort it all out. They can't even make a proper dark mode or make a consistent UI. They should start from scratch with a completely new OS and leave Windows around for people who want/need it.

Windows 10 could've been kept around for people who need/want it and Windows 11 could've been a whole new operation system build from the ground up. but Windows 11 just seems to be 10 with a new UI.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Looks more like an UI update for windows 10 than a whole new OS. I just want that fucking weather widget in my task bar gone that I just got from a very recent update.

I really like that wallpaper, though. Does anyone know where that's from?

Literally its two clicks to remove that widget... just right click on the taskbar.

raduque

lol at everybody complaining about windows "spyware" while most likely using Chrome and an Android phone.

As for Windows 11, as long as I can get the update from Windows Update at zero cost, I don't care.

McCheese

lol at everybody complaining about windows "spyware" while most likely using Chrome and an Android phone.

It's much harder to hide backdoors in open-source software, you can compile your own Chromium browser from the source if you want to.

Windows being closed-source makes it far more likely to have all sorts of back-doors both intentionally and unintentional.

raduque

It's much harder to hide backdoors in open-source software, you can compile your own Chromium browser from the source if you want to.

Windows being closed-source makes it far more likely to have all sorts of back-doors both intentionally and unintentional.
I didn't say Chromium, I said Chrome

Soodanim

I hadn't considered that actually. Does it work great there? Wasn't there also a 64 bit problem?
The short answer is that the answer is quite long. But the essential stuff seems to here: https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Fallout_3

If you do decide to jump back into F3 and own New Vegas, you might want to look into Tale of Two Wastelands. It's a massive conversion of F3 into NV, so you get the improvements that game brings as it runs from NV's base game. It has an active modding community, and you'll easily be able to find some newer mod lists that allow you to jump into a patched up and ready to go game. It does take some time to do its thing though, because it takes your F3 files one by one and creates TTW as opposed to distributing Bethesda's game.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I hope it has a better game mode, or an option to turn all the pointless shit off, running in the background
I always wondered if there was that one guy who actually used all the trap bloatware they threw in. What was the point of all that anyway? Seems like that became a heavy hitter to Windows back to 8.0

INC

I always wondered if there was that one guy who actually used all the trap bloatware they threw in. What was the point of all that anyway? Seems like that became a heavy hitter to Windows back to 8.0

There's a good debloat tool out there, but it fucked my rift s, and rrlefused to work, so had to reinstall windows

ksdixon

XPGood
VistaBad
7Good
8Bad
10Good
11Uh oh
Oh please, 8 was good. Especially 8.1. Maybe the touch revolution was a bit early. But if you had a touchscreen laptop/surface pro in 2012, win8 was pretty boss. It was plenty customizable for win7 whiners too.

Fake

Oh please, 8 was good. Especially 8.1. Maybe the touch revolution was a bit early. But if you had a touchscreen laptop/surface pro in 2012, win8 was pretty boss. It was plenty customizable for win7 whiners too.

Windows 8 was terrible bad. For TI guys like me, was a hell zone, not worst than Windows Vista, but at the point of making Microsoft release the 8.1

Most of those 'customizable' you mention are from third party software.

How can so many people be jumping to conclusions about whether or not Windows 11 will be good or bad based on it's appearance? They got rid of live tiles, simplified the start menu which appears to be fairly customizable. Not to mention, it has a much lighter footprint than its predecessors. Other than that, it's just a refreshed version of Windows, per usual except that it's getting rid of it's Windows Phone-esque UI.

Last edited:

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Just installed the W11 dev version. It feels pretty much just like 10 with some GUI changes. I was even able to activate it with a windows 10 key, and it received a few "windows next" updates. I even ran the W10 debloater and it removed all the bloatware. There's still two fucking places to change settings, backup and restore is defaulting to windows 7.. it just looks like a mess.

So, it's more of the same, just a refreshed look, unless they're hiding something and they 'leaked' this to create some buzz around the release.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
So why do we even need windows 11? what changed that required a entire new OS to be released?
It probably has modified and improved a lot of things under the hood, if those benchmarks are true, then there are some changes under the hood.

Trogdor1123

The short answer is that the answer is quite long. But the essential stuff seems to here: https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Fallout_3

If you do decide to jump back into F3 and own New Vegas, you might want to look into Tale of Two Wastelands. It's a massive conversion of F3 into NV, so you get the improvements that game brings as it runs from NV's base game. It has an active modding community, and you'll easily be able to find some newer mod lists that allow you to jump into a patched up and ready to go game. It does take some time to do its thing though, because it takes your F3 files one by one and creates TTW as opposed to distributing Bethesda's game.
I actually downloaded fallout 3 on steam last night to give it a go and it won't even boot at all. Even crashed steam... I read some of the things that edit it but I don't see how they can even sell a game that clearly doesn't work anymore. It would be nice if ms would just patch it... They already did it for gamepass.

Soodanim

I actually downloaded fallout 3 on steam last night to give it a go and it won't even boot at all. Even crashed steam... I read some of the things that edit it but I don't see how they can even sell a game that clearly doesn't work anymore. It would be nice if ms would just patch it... They already did it for gamepass.

There's a few guides there that can help you out to get started, with the 3 below being enough to get you into the game. It's a pain for it to not be instant,, but you should be up and running in a basic capacity before long. A little bit longer if you want to install some basic mods (which are highly recommended).

Feel free to PM if you want to do the modding thing and I'll help you through it. You could also join a Discord server for modding if you want more immediate help

Edit:

I also recommend this for instant config results that are better than the default settings. Run this tool after you've opened the game once.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

It probably has modified and improved a lot of things under the hood, if those benchmarks are true, then there are some changes under the hood.

Could just have updated windows 10. Like IOS does for already decades.

Data collection, PR about a new Directx, new/same UI, mobile, etc...

Still see no reason for a new OS. All could be done in a update.

I got the feeling at this point they just release new windows versions just to sell new keys for the sake of money for corporations. Because i honestly see no other gains that this OS has to offer or will have to offer. People are more interested in stripping windows back to its core then the shit they are adding.

Last edited:

BigBooper

If you're still under the two hour window, which it sounds like, I'd get a refund and get the GOG version instead. I know they patched the Steam version also, but not sure if it's the same. Steam version used to crash on me constantly. Gog version no until the endgame because some of the DLC content was buggy.

Trogdor1123

If you're still under the two hour window, which it sounds like, I'd get a refund and get the GOG version instead. I know they patched the Steam version also, but not sure if it's the same. Steam version used to crash on me constantly. Gog version no until the endgame because some of the DLC content was buggy.
I'm actually over, I bought it like 10 years ago and it says I played for 13 hours back then. I'll check the gog version.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Been running this on various computers for the last week. I really like the visual tweaks, there are a lot of new visual cues that work nicely - stuff that's been a part of Linux for a few decades that feels like Windows is finally catching up. Things like icons that bounce / distort when you minimize or maximize an application. I've run into a few applications (all older, like Windows XP days) that simply won't run or won't display properly but work fine in Windows 10. One application in particular, it runs fine but it's invisible - although I can see it in the taskbar "peek" and close it from there. Compatibility mode settings are no help.

My biggest gripe with the new task bar is that in Windows 10 I always set it for full text (not just icons) and to only combine when the taskbar was full. These settings simply don't exist in Windows 11 like they did in Windows 10. Speaking of the task bar, I haven't found a way to duplicate it onto a second monitor yet either.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Didn't people shit on Windows 10 when it first arrived? This will be no different.
yep. It'll be no different with this one. And lets be honest, we have seen NOTHING that shows this is anything more than a cosmetic update (and a simple one at that) with some performance improvments. Its not like a Vista or 8 launch where things are substantially changed.

yep. It'll be no different with this one. And lets be honest, we have seen NOTHING that shows this is anything more than a cosmetic update (and a simple one at that) with some performance improvments. Its not like a Vista or 8 launch where things are substantially changed.
I mean, cosmetic difference and performance improvements are what I would expect from a major update, not to mention a few new features, which are there. Andriod, iOS, OSX, and Ubuntu are no different in that regard. I guess I'm not sure what people are expecting. It's Windows and it will run like it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom