• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central: This is what Xbox games look like on 'Project Scorpio' (Tech Demos)

Obvious difference with the ladybird/ladybug.

The other one is a pretty ugly screenshot, which is distracting. I can see the differences better when using the slider on the Windows Central article though. Not a good choice of screenshot.

branny

Honestly from where I sit (literally from my couch) I can't really tell the difference between 4K and 1080p. It's a bit cleaner in terms of pixel shimmer but outside of that it's pretty meh. It's neat I guess if I'm really close to my TV and it still looks really clean but otherwise it's not much of an improvement.
Same. This is why the PS4 Pro has felt like such a waste to me when devs just boost resolution instead of framerate. I don't understand this obsession to chase 4K when performance is a much more meaningful difference. 😩

cheesekao

Same. This is why the PS4 Pro has felt like such a waste to me when devs just boost resolution instead of framerate. I don't understand this obsession to chase 4K when performance is a much more meaningful difference. ��

digitalx8kab.png
Here's your reason.

Ushay

The ladybug image does a lot more to show difference in details. The one of the woman is .. ehh.

They need to show better images that magnify smaller details like the eyes in that ladybug. It's impressive anyhow.

cackhyena

To me, for most titles. XB1 looked plenty fine. I want Scorpio because it will run as well as a console can possibly run a game, and the MS ecosystem is more my jam. These kind of pics, no matter how stark of a difference, were never going to be the reason to sway me. We've hit a ceiling. I don't think we'll break a barrier of real, noticeable difference for a while.

JlNX

Guys it's about image quality, the amount of detail you can see in 4k compared to 1080p. It's not about graphics, if it was they wouldn't show a character model like that at all. I suggest you use the slider on windows central to compare, it makes the difference quite clear.

Anyone else thinking thats a killer instinct stage, it reminds me heavily of KI's engine from character model to hair and lighting.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Guys it's about image quality, the amount of detail you can see in 4k compared to 1080p. It's not about graphics, if it was they wouldn't show a character model like that at all. I suggest you use the slider on windows central to compare, it makes the difference quite clear.

Anyone else thinking thats a killer instinct stage, it reminds me heavily of KI's engine from character model to hair and lighting and butter face

Good catch. Very killer instinct

Sulik2

These images kind of look terrible. Use something like Forza that actually looks good to show off the Scorpio Microsoft.

I'm going to be honest. Even with my 4k monitor, I'm not seeing a drastic difference in any of these screens. If viewing screenshots barely holds a difference, I especially won't notice the resolution differences it in motion. That said, 60FPS vs 30FPS is noticeable

Ushay

Tech demos are cool and all, but I'd love to see some real tangible difference on the following games;

- Witcher 3
- Halo 5
- Battlefield 1
- Deus Ex

MS won't drum much anticipation with just tech demos.

I bought a 4K TV a few weeks ago and I've been trying to play some older PC games at 4K just beacuse I can.

Honestly from where I sit (literally from my couch) I can't really tell the difference between 4K and 1080p. It's a bit cleaner in terms of pixel shimmer but outside of that it's pretty meh. It's neat I guess if I'm really close to my TV and it still looks really clean but otherwise it's not much of an improvement.

HDR and eventually FreeSync (Adaptive Sync) are the real game-changers for TVs. 4K is nice, but I tend to agree in many use cases it's a subtle change by itself.

Kurt

If this is the update that we would get for a console that's 6 times powerfull than the xbox one, that would be a huge disappointment.

Anyway those are some examples, so i'm not going to focus on what could be.
It's all about "what would come". Waiting for the first games using this hardware.

m23

Isnt the first one xb1 @ 1080p?
The shadow to the left has more detail.

The caption on the site states:

Project Scorpio @ 4K (left) | Project Scorpio @ 4K with enhancements (right).

The left image shows a ladybug that has been rendered at 4K using existing Xbox One assets. With Xbox One assets, zoomed in, the ladybug's textures begin to look a little cartoony and bland. The right image has been given vastly improved textures to grant the ladybug an air of photorealism. The flower textures have also been given a large resolution bump, and additional 3D geometry has been added to give the ladybug leg hairs.

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding or OP got it wrong.

The slide does make it more clear, but it still looks pretty bad!

Im sure the graphical goodness will flow like fine wine at e3. People will talk about PS4/Pro games still looking better, people will swear some Scorpio game has the most advanced graphics ever, Nintendo fans will claim that Super Mario Odyssey is more "aesthetically pleasing" or has "better art direction" than anything on the Scorpio, and super rig owners will makes claims about Scorpio melting trying to run Star Citizen.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
These images kind of look terrible. Use something like Forza that actually looks good to show off the Scorpio Microsoft.

Something like this keeps people talking without revealing big e3 titles. We'll see actual games, and the most impressive stuff ms has to offer, in a few weeks. Hopefully it's much better than what they've shown here. Based on the digital foundry fm6 demo article, I'm expecting that to be the case.

It's much easier to see the enhancements on the ladybug. For the time machine shot, It's easier to notice the improved clarity when looking at the background, rather than the scientist.

I'd definitely be interested in playing a game with the Steampunk Science Woman. I hope there's more to these tech demos, and they're actually fleshed out game(s).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I feel the difference could be much greater if the resources were put into substantial per-pixel improvements rather than more pixels. Or, ultimately, into both.

But I know the appetite to do that isn't typically going to be there for a refresh vs a new gen of software.

Maybe I'd feel different if I had a 4KTV. For the 1080p vs 1080p supersampled shot in particular, while the difference is there, it's not staggering.

Peterc

I can't believe this photos are real, there isn't much different (if not) between xbox 1 and scorpio. I hope it's fake, because the console will be expensive enough.

bomblord1

Banned
There are details in the Scorpio pictures that did not exist in the 1080p xbox pictures. Which goes against them claiming it's only a resolution bump

The hairs on the legs in this photo for examples

Sony

Nintendo
The tagline should have been "Scorpio improvements to an Xbox One tech demo". If you say this is what games look like on Scorpio, then it's really unappealing. Not the Scorpio's fault that the Xbox One base game doesn't look impressive. Bad choice of words.

sangreal

These images show enhancements Scorpio can make to existing Xbox One titles by virtue of resolution bumps alone

Who needed windows central to tell them what a resolution bump and upscaling looks like? Strange article

It's when I compare the pictures from the Op.
Let's wait on vs video, but so far i'm disappointed imo, but also to soon to tell.

Its a tech demo in images form. I mean, not the most impressive images which is why i feel like MS went to DF and not them. They can relay the message a lot better, no offence to wndows central.

I think ultimately it will come down to how much more work the devs want to put into scorpio versions. MS devs probably will, other will be hit or miss.

Peterc

Its a tech demo in images form. I mean, not the most impressive images which is why i feel like MS went to DF and not them. They can relay the message a lot better, no offence to wndows central.

I think ultimately it will come down to how much more work the devs want to put into scorpio versions. MS devs probably will, other will be hit or miss.

Maybe I'm asking to much, but I was expecting something more like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LYpUw3Rx0c

bomblord1

Banned
Who needed windows central to tell them what a resolution bump and upscaling looks like? Strange article

I think the idea is to show off how the Scorpio engine can take regular Xbox One games and run them at higher resolutions automatically. IE without the dev having to create a specific patch for it.

There are details in the Scorpio pictures that did not exist in the 1080p xbox pictures. Which goes against them claiming it's only a resolution bump

The hairs on the legs in this photo for examples

The ladybug definitely shows the differences best. Hairs on the legs, and the textures on the flower and ladybug are much improved.

Top Bottom