• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central: This is what Xbox games look like on 'Project Scorpio' (Tech Demos)

wipeout364

Day one for me. Can't wait to get that Kinect DNA out of the system and get the real Xbox one. I have a pro but have never really felt PS4 was held back by hardware like Xbox one was, so I am looking forward to this revision.

Looks good. Pretty much the change in image quality I expected for viewing on 1080p displays. Texture filtering and freesync will be the bigger benefits for those without 4k.

Space_nut

OMG the ladybug shows extremely more details in everything. Textures, shaders, geometry, iq all look a league ahead. Gotta see on a monitor my phone didn't do justice

scorpio-lady-render-4k-closer.png

Quantum Break prequel, set on HG Wells' Time Machine time frame! :)

timberger

Er... not exactly the generational leap hypesters would have had us expect for the past year is it?

Seems about in line with what the rest of us were predicting though. Common sense vindicated.

sangreal

Er... not exactly the generational leap hypesters would have had us expect for the past year is it?

Seems about in line with what the rest of us were predicting though. Common sense vindicated.

..."These images show enhancements Scorpio can make to existing Xbox One titles by virtue of resolution bumps alone, without any additional tweaking and features that utilize Scorpio's monstrous specs."

..."These images show enhancements Scorpio can make to existing Xbox One titles by virtue of resolution bumps alone, without any additional tweaking and features that utilize Scorpio's monstrous specs."
That's not true of the ladybug shot, though. There, tweaks and features have been added to utilize Scorpio.

BigEmil

This all makes me hyped for PS5 if only Microsoft didn't put their exclusives on PC i would've bought Scorpio day one but without exclusives and owning a PC gonna have to pass on this as all this can look even better on PC of course plus i don't want to pay for Xbox Live on top aswell owning multiple consoles

scently

That's not true of the ladybug shot, though. There, tweaks and features have been added to utilize Scorpio.

The ladybug pic bears a different description to the others. Its shows the difference between rendering a game in 4k@X1 settings, and rendering at 4k and using the additional overhead to enhance graphics.

Colbert

Banned
imo the lady bug example is the better one. the game character i honestly thought it was from a launch Xbox One game.

Doffen

Yeah, description in OP is wrong.

The left image shows a ladybug that has been rendered at 4K using existing Xbox One assets. With Xbox One assets, zoomed in, the ladybug's textures begin to look a little cartoony and bland. The right image has been given vastly improved textures to grant the ladybug an air of photorealism. The flower textures have also been given a large resolution bump, and additional 3D geometry has been added to give the ladybug leg hairs.

imo the lady bug example is the better one. the game character i honestly thought it was from a launch Xbox One game.

That's the point. From the article:

These images show enhancements Scorpio can make to existing Xbox One titles by virtue of resolution bumps alone, without any additional tweaking and features that utilize Scorpio's monstrous specs

There are details in the Scorpio pictures that did not exist in the 1080p xbox pictures. Which goes against them claiming it's only a resolution bump

The hairs on the legs in this photo for examples
They are both from scorpio, one in 4k but using xbone settings and the other with enhanced graphics and effects.

iceatcs

To be honest the quality of the image is not massively different.

If you want 4K you'll better off get a bigger screen than your 1080p TV.

Rembrandt

Banned
This all makes me hyped for PS5 if only Microsoft didn't put their exclusives on PC i would've bought Scorpio day one but without exclusives and owning a PC gonna have to pass on this as all this can look even better on PC of course plus i don't want to pay for Xbox Live on top aswell owning multiple consoles

Cool.

JlNX

I can see why Xbox went with DF now, windows central made a mess of describing this and it probably wasn't suppose to be shown. The image of the steampunk lady is suppose to show off image quality and detail from a xbox one game, with xbox one assets and effects at native 4k on project scorpio. If you use the slider you can see the already noticeable boost you get from the resolution jump in IQ and texture quality. This will obviously have overhead to further enhance graphics and effects as well as the increase in ram allowing for 4k assets.

The lady bug is designed to show a xbox one game running at native 4k with no 4k assets or further graphical enhancements or effects. Comparing that to the lady bug with 4k assets and further graphical enhancements and effects. Basically that you have more overhead after reaching native 4k to increase graphics further and the increase in ram allows for 4k assets. The difference between the two ladybugs is considerable.

The ladybird looks great, don't understand where they're pulling the extra geometry on the "hairs" though, looks like a different model to be honest.

The female model though, doesn't really impress me - texture filter is nice but model itself looks janky

I'm no expert at this stuff......but.....uh, how is that "enhanced" when the hairs on the bug's legs aren't even present in the Xbox One image but are in the Scorpio one? Is that what they're doing? Adding "hairs" to enhance Xbox One games? Help me out with this one somebody.

spannicus

I can see why Xbox went with DF now, windows central made a mess of describing this and it probably wasn't suppose to be shown. The image of the steampunk lady is suppose to show off image quality and detail from a xbox one game, with xbox one assets and effects at native 4k on project scorpio. If you use the slider you can see the already noticeable boost you get from the resolution jump in IQ and texture quality. This will obviously have overhead to further enhance graphics and effects as well as the increase in ram allowing for 4k assets.

The lady bug is designed to show a xbox one game running at native 4k with no 4k assets or further graphical enhancements or effects. Comparing that to the lady bug with 4k assets and further graphical enhancements and effects. Basically that you have more overhead after reaching native 4k to increase graphics further and the increase in ram allows for 4k assets. The difference between the two ladybugs is considerable.

Thanks for clarifying. Needs to be in op lol

Not seeing anything that impressive really. Hopefully the real games will look more impressive or there will be some disappointed people at E3.

Felspawn

I bought a 4K TV a few weeks ago and I've been trying to play some older PC games at 4K just beacuse I can.

Honestly from where I sit (literally from my couch) I can't really tell the difference between 4K and 1080p. It's a bit cleaner in terms of pixel shimmer but outside of that it's pretty meh. It's neat I guess if I'm really close to my TV and it still looks really clean but otherwise it's not much of an improvement.

I'm less interested in 4K resolution and more interested in HDR. I bought my PlayStation Pro more on the promise of stable frame rates and I'm very interested in Microsoft support of freesync

shanew21

Tech demos are cool and all, but I'd love to see some real tangible difference on the following games;

- Witcher 3
- Halo 5
- Battlefield 1
- Deus Ex

MS won't drum much anticipation with just tech demos.

Of course they won't. This was a behind closed doors tech demo for their partners.

lol at people saying i hope its more impressive when its shown off. I mean seriously i dont have to read or see anything until it launches to know that a game like battlefront 2 is going to be incredible looking on Scorpio.

Ushay

OMG the ladybug shows extremely more details in everything. Textures, shaders, geometry, iq all look a league ahead. Gotta see on a monitor my phone didn't do justice

Yeah, the ladybug example is pretty good. The other doesn't do anything for me.

lol at people saying i hope its more impressive when its shown off. I mean seriously i dont have to read or see anything until it launches to know that a game like battlefront 2 is going to be incredible looking on Scorpio.

My thoughts exactly. Some of these concern posts are going to look silly at E3.

00ich

The difference between the two ladybugs is considerable.
Yes because they use different models and textures, meaning they had to do two ladybug assets.
Developers only make one set of assets per game. They may keep textures at higher resolutions, but even then the content of textures is optimized for the lower resolution set.
The ladybug difference is not going to happen as long Xbox One or PS4 are supported.

Also it remains to be seen, what asset bumps Scorpio can give above a 900p Xbox One game. Mathematically there's no headroom left.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

My thoughts exactly. Some of these concern posts are going to look silly at E3.

Battlefront 2 is going to look great on every platform.

E3 is just going to serve as more proof that it's difficult to show off the benefits of 4K unless you're seeing it in person and even then, it's not going to be a huge selling point for most people.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

This screengrab kinda illustrates the struggle these iterative machines have. The content of the screengrab looks pretty interesting, i'm wondering if this is a game in progress.

But outside of the IQ of the screenshot which is pretty decent, its nothing XB1 could not do. How will E3 which will be livestreamed, sell Scorpio as a product specifically?

Battlefront 2 is going to look great on every platform.

E3 is just going to serve as more proof that it's difficult to show off the benefits of 4K unless you're seeing it in person and even then, it's not going to be a huge selling point for most people.

I think the goal here is to have most games look and run better on Scorpio. When that happens, that means all those videos like the DF ones will have head to heads where the Scorpio versions will undoubtedly be on top. Hear that fact enough and people will know with time (whether consciously or not) that xbox is the console that will run games the best.

That in itself will convince people to buy one. Only problem is, is it too late.

Papacheeks

Banned
I think the goal here is to have most games look and run better on Scorpio. When that happens, that means all those videos like the DF ones will have head to heads where the Scorpio versions will undoubtedly be on top. Hear that fact enough and people will know with time (whether consciously or not) that xbox is the console that will run games the best.

That in itself will convince people to buy one. Only problem is, is it too late.

It is at this stage in the generation. Especially when the competition both Sony and Nintendo are bringing games, and hardware/revisions.

Unless this thing is modestly priced with some great looking first party or second party game I don't see ton's of people running out to buy one.

If anything the xbox one s will look that much more enticing at a 250-200$ price point come this holiday.

Pretty much this.

I looked at this on my work Mac book Pro, the differences are pretty clear. The one with the lady...There are pretty noticeable differences in IQ. I believe that's more to show some benefits of an XB1 game with just a reso bump. Texture qaulity is not blurry and much more clear and you can see more details in her clothing and lips, also the cut on her forehead.

The ladybug, obviously has bigger differences, we are seeing things with what looks like 4k assets and not just a reso bump. I don't think these were meant to be show publicly as mentioned. Just to provide a sample to devs of what can be done with the extra horse power. I would expect even more substantial differences in full retail games.

Top Bottom