• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central - Xbox Maverick: Everything we know about Microsoft's disc-less Xbox One

PaNaMa

Banned
I think it's a great idea for Microsoft. Buy why would (for example) EB Games choose to stock/sell this device? Or any other brick and mortar retailer? What's the incentive for them if they can't sell the customer any physical games? There would need to be a "digital retail strategy" for lack of a better phrase, that would still allow Best Buy or EB or whomever to sell a consumer digital copies of games or whatever for that console. Otherwise I feel like they'd have a hard time getting retailers to rally behind them.
Why would any retailer agree to be the facilitator of a Microsoft-initialized physical for digital game swap initiative?

The article mentions consumers going to a store and converting their physical game license to digital, but again, why would retailers who make their living selling physical copies of games (new or used) get behind this? Especially when the stated goal is to increase gamers shopping presence on Microsoft's Digital store front, and not the store they are currently standing in, trying to convert a license?
Is there some secondary plan in place to allow retailers to sell digital versions (download codes) of all future games rather than stocking digital copies?

Also, I didn't see anything about HDD storage. Presumably, Microsoft would ship with a large HDD to compensate for huge 100% installed to drive games.. I mean, Maverick won't be cloud based right?

McCheese

I don't get why they are not doing this for the X, it would bring the price down to compete with the Pro which seems far more sensible towards the end of this generation when folks are likely only upgrading because they have a fancy new HDR 4K TV.

The S is far too underpowered, especially in 2019. This late in the game, and after all the black Friday sales- are there really people who haven't jumped into this generation of consoles yet who would want to get an S ?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I think it's a great idea for Microsoft. Buy why would (for example) EB Games choose to stock/sell this device? Or any other brick and mortar retailer? What's the incentive for them if they can't sell the customer any physical games? There would need to be a "digital retail strategy" for lack of a better phrase, that would still allow Best Buy or EB or whomever to sell a consumer digital copies of games or whatever for that console. Otherwise I feel like they'd have a hard time getting retailers to rally behind them.
Why would any retailer agree to be the facilitator of a Microsoft-initialized physical for digital game swap initiative?

The article mentions consumers going to a store and converting their physical game license to digital, but again, why would retailers who make their living selling physical copies of games (new or used) get behind this? Especially when the stated goal is to increase gamers shopping presence on Microsoft's Digital store front, and not the store they are currently standing in, trying to convert a license?
Is there some secondary plan in place to allow retailers to sell digital versions (download codes) of all future games rather than stocking digital copies?

Also, I didn't see anything about HDD storage. Presumably, Microsoft would ship with a large HDD to compensate for huge 100% installed to drive games.. I mean, Maverick won't be cloud based right?

It wouldn't be EB Games, Best Buy, or WalMart. The retail store would be the Microsoft store.

msstore.jpg

“Attaching their purchases directly to the console”

Isn’t this what people got mad at Nintendo for doing?
I think what this means is that when you order the console you lets say also grab a game pass sub, xbox live, and EA access. Those will be attached to your account and you wont have to redeem codes when you open it. What Nintendo does is pre-load games that are stuck on a console. This is just attaches services.

Apple does the same thing where when you buy a new phone you can choose to attach a Apple music sub, or upgrade icloud storage during purchase.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
“Attaching their purchases directly to the console”

Isn’t this what people got mad at Nintendo for doing?
My guess is that it will work the same way it does now, where any Live account can play games tied to that specific Xbox.

PaNaMa

Banned
It wouldn't be EB Games, Best Buy, or WalMart. The retail store would be the Microsoft store.

msstore.jpg

The article says: "The initiative will allow Xbox users to deposit existing disc-based titles at select retailers, in return for a digital license."
The article outright states "select retailers", rather than "only at Microsoft Store" (tho perhaps, MS store could be one of the selected retailers lol).
So I think it's still a valid question..

dorkimoe

I don't get why they are not doing this for the X, it would bring the price down to compete with the Pro which seems far more sensible towards the end of this generation when folks are likely only upgrading because they have a fancy new HDR 4K TV.

The S is far too underpowered, especially in 2019. This late in the game, and after all the black Friday sales- are there really people who haven't jumped into this generation of consoles yet who would want to get an S ?

no absolutely not. The sole reason I bought an X over a Pro was the 4k Drive. Believe it or not Blu-ray/4k dvd sales are up. People want the best quality. Streaming doesn't offer that.

TLZ

Banned
I'm never ever giving away my right to physical media ownership. F off ;)

If this is cheap, I can see it being my game pass machine in the bedroom.

Last edited:

lucius

Sounds like a great option for the S, a smaller system then you got all the great 360 games, a great streaming device and you are investing in a digital system that they said any game you buy now will be able to play on there next systems something Nintendo and Sony have not said , Sony might support PS4 digital purchases in PS5 they need to add at the very least PS1 games also, So would also be nice for people to put in another room to have access to your library of games .

Artistic

I don't see why this would be needed from a consumer standpoint. I highly doubt they'll be a price point difference if this is a reality.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sounds like a great option for the S, a smaller system then you got all the great 360 games, a great streaming device and you are investing in a digital system that they said any game you buy now will be able to play on there next systems something Nintendo and Sony have not said , Sony might support PS4 digital purchases in PS5 they need to add at the very least PS1 games also, So would also be nice for people to put in another room to have access to your library of games .

... and if everything goes well over the years you will never be able to buy a cheaper than digita new physical edition of the game and will not be able to resell your game or buy it cheaper and used :/.

Foxbat

Banned

Right now retailers are kinda at a crossroad when it comes to games. While info is hard to get, a lot of games these days is bought digitally. Stores like Best Buy aren't selling the same amount of games they used to. Many retailers have shrunken the floor space dedicated to games, but games in general take up a large chunk of your store regardless. It's almost at the point where retailers are beginning to question if the amount of floor space vs the reduced games sales is worth it.

Retailers are now trying to find a way to sell digital games at brick and motar stores. It's a tough nut to crack, but they've been exploring options.

The most promising is an interactive screen that allows you to browse games. While I don't remember all the specifics, you can basically buy a game, check out, and they give you a code via email right then and there. The game will begin downloading as you're walking out the store, so hopefully it's playable by the time you get home. Of course game size, and Internet speed varies.

The other idea was previously mentioned by another poster. You could have a retailer like Best Buy download whatever you want onto your Xbox "Maverick" when you buy it. They will then have whatever you want downloaded when you go to pick it up. You could literally just call Best Buy, and say "Yeah, I'll take one XB1 with Gamepass, EA Access, Elite Dangerous, and Rainbow Six Siege please." " Oh yeah, almost forgot. Gimme all the DLC from Rainbow Six Season 3 and 5 as well." Everything would be ready to go as soon as you got home with your console.

I imagine retailers such as Gamestop are going to go out of business within 10 years though, as they are going to have a hard time reselling used digital games.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
... and if everything goes well over the years you will never be able to buy a cheaper than digita new physical edition of the game and will not be able to resell your game or buy it cheaper and used :/.

This is a new strategy, slow burn, into getting what they originally wanted in the 2013 announcement.

Hell, they're willing to invest (lose?) money for a disc-to-digital trade in program to get there.

FeldMonster

no absolutely not. The sole reason I bought an X over a Pro was the 4k Drive. Believe it or not Blu-ray/4k dvd sales are up. People want the best quality. Streaming doesn't offer that.
This doesn't replace the X. Why would NOT want the new SKU to be based on the better version?

I was quoting someone who said they should do it with the X
His point still stands.. This is not a replacement for either the S or the X. Them making a discless X does not take yours away or your ability to use yours.

I'll never understand why people don't want other people to have options. As long as your preference still exists then it does not affect you in the slightest. I also understand why they would base it off the S as this is a low cost entry point.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
His point still stands.. This is not a replacement for either the S or the X. Them making a discless X does not take yours away or your ability to use yours.

I'll never understand why people don't want other people to have options. As long as your preference still exists then it does not affect you in the slightest. I also understand why they would base it off the S as this is a low cost entry point.

I do not have an issue because it is a low cost entry point, but because of what this represents in the battle against physical media and used games... foot in the door and hoping to bust it wide open in the following generations.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Yes, education would be required, but clearly this would be for USA anyway, unless they create stores elsewhere that allow disk trade in.
Keep in mind ALL prices are MSRP, meaning retail will be cheaper

Why even bother with disc trade ins. Do what PC's did ages ago. Cd keys that activate a digital copy.

Shouldn't be hard.

Right now retailers are kinda at a crossroad when it comes to games. While info is hard to get, a lot of games these days is bought digitally. Stores like Best Buy aren't selling the same amount of games they used to. Many retailers have shrunken the floor space dedicated to games, but games in general take up a large chunk of your store regardless. It's almost at the point where retailers are beginning to question if the amount of floor space vs the reduced games sales is worth it.

Retailers are now trying to find a way to sell digital games at brick and motar stores. It's a tough nut to crack, but they've been exploring options.

The most promising is an interactive screen that allows you to browse games. While I don't remember all the specifics, you can basically buy a game, check out, and they give you a code via email right then and there. The game will begin downloading as you're walking out the store, so hopefully it's playable by the time you get home. Of course game size, and Internet speed varies.

The other idea was previously mentioned by another poster. You could have a retailer like Best Buy download whatever you want onto your Xbox "Maverick" when you buy it. They will then have whatever you want downloaded when you go to pick it up. You could literally just call Best Buy, and say "Yeah, I'll take one XB1 with Gamepass, EA Access, Elite Dangerous, and Rainbow Six Siege please." " Oh yeah, almost forgot. Gimme all the DLC from Rainbow Six Season 3 and 5 as well." Everything would be ready to go as soon as you got home with your console.

I imagine retailers such as Gamestop are going to go out of business within 10 years though, as they are going to have a hard time reselling used digital games.

This already happened a decade ago here and this is how it will go down over there.

1) Discs will have cd keys that activate a copy. Which makes reselling the disc completely useless as it's now a waste of space as the key is now bound to your game account.
2) The Disc will only contain download software that will fully download the up to date version of the game. So what's the point in having a useless disc that does nothing and has no data?.
3) People will buy cd keys now and not physical copy's anymore because they are completely useless and take time to be send etc which all isn't needed with digital.
4) People will buy games from other country's for cheap prices and buy it through cd key websites. Which kills all your game retailers in seconds off.

Nobody is going to walk to a store and buy a game on a touch screen in that store, they could get that game by 10 different shops cheaper with the click of a button on there ipads.

We are so far here already that every cloth shop is falling over, as everybody and everything is buying digital more and more to the point they even order there grocery's and all there appliance through websites because they can even pay that stuff months late or on a loan of x amount a month. And everything gets free delivered towards your doorstep with a 100 day return policy unless you damage it.

Hell even with cloths you order a item, get it send home, you can fit it use it for 100 days and return it if you don't like it and get a full refund without questions with a box and a sticker where you can send the cloths back to the company straight away at a drop off centers on your way to work or even at company's itself cost free and effort free.

The only thing that will be left are hubs for people to pick there stuff up. and they are already making drive ins here next to highways to pick up all your packages if your company isn't providing.

There is honestly no reason to go too a shopping mall anymore unless you are a tourist.

I do not have an issue because it is a low cost entry point, but because of what this represents in the battle against physical media and used games... foot in the door and hoping to bust it wide open in the following generations.

There is no battle anybody that thinks this honestly is just fooling themselves, if there was a battle it was already lost ages ago as digital is a natural evolution of physical and will be pushed by all party's on the last medium that doesn't have it yet consoles.

The poor internet connections and data caps excuses are honestly not a issue . They could heavily compress download files to a fraction of the data they got now on blu-rays and bad internet speeds with unstable connections are also not going to be a issue with download clients that will pauze and reconnect when they can and download the file over night without issue's if its big.

The only people that get shafted are people on dail up modems. but at that point you need to start to ask some questions to yourself.

I know people with absolute trash internet connections and are already for a decade digital only on PC without any issue's. And with trash i mean data caps, 2mbit internet connections if they are lucky with losing connections multiple times in a play session.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
if the price is right i'll pick one up to play some Halo until they are all on PC and then i might just keep it to play Halo/Forza while not at my PC. i will stick my PS4 in its box until there are new exclusive games to play on it. the only game i have my PS4 hooked up for is RDR2. i can just buy that on XB1 and stick the PS4 in the cupboard.

i, for one, welcome the all digital streaming future. the only physical games i buy these days are switch cartridges. i'm all digital on PC + PS4. i kinda wish they were doing a discless XB1X too... :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom