• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 7 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I don't recall any version of android removing major functionality that was recently introduced.

I'm a little confused why they would even bother with addressing a device with 256MB of ram, I refuse to believe it's cost oriented for assembly lines. It would literally be cents to push up to the next ram slot, but I guess with licensing costs accounted for, every corner makes sense to cut.

I've wondered and posted this exact thing. I still don't believe going down to 256 over the current 512 standard can really be that big of a cost saver.

Guess margins must be razor thin if you just need to save a few pennies.

Magni

If I buy a 710 from Rogers for 259 CAD off contract, will it be
-simlocked?
-branded?

Getting very close to pulling the trigger, it's fairly cheap and I need something that does 3G in Europe and North America.

PG2G

AT&T’s Nokia Lumia 900 launch delayed, now set to debut on April 22nd for $99.99

:/

On another note... Microsoft reps claiming Windows Phone 8 definitely coming to second gen handsets, probably to first gen

While one rep stuck to the party line, saying there was no information to release for public consumption, another said second generation handsets, like the HTC Radar and Nokia Lumia handsets will definitely get the update, and that first generation handsets “in some form” will probably get the update, but not with all features, such as video calling for example using Skype.

clav

Titan, Titan 2, and Focus S should also qualify.

I don't understand how a phone won't get Apollo if it lacks a FFC.

Just do something like on the startup of the program.

if hardware.FFC == true
chat.video = true

All of the phones should get it if it's just a kernel. Author chose a terrible example.

PG2G

I don't think you're interpreting it correctly. It doesn't say that phones with no FFC wouldn't be getting it. Hell, phones with and without FFC have Mango, right?

I wouldn't read too much into it. Its blogs, so hard to tell what was actually said versus little assumptions they've made.

I don't understand how a phone won't get Apollo if it lacks a FFC.

Just do something like on the startup of the program.

if hardware.FFC == true
chat.video = true

All of the phones should get it if it's just a kernel. Author chose a terrible example.

Yeah the author was just pulling a couple of examples I think. All the phones should be able to get the upgrade technically, possibly some features won't work (for first gen phones) though.

Now scumbag carriers like AT&T might not push the update to the phones, but that's another situation (I would assume that AT&T won't push the update for first gen phones).

clav

I don't think you're interpreting it correctly. It doesn't say that phones with no FFC wouldn't be getting it. Hell, phones with and without FFC have Mango, right?

While one rep stuck to the party line, saying there was no information to release for public consumption, another said second generation handsets, like the HTC Radar and Nokia Lumia handsets will definitely get the update, and that first generation handsets “in some form” will probably get the update, but not with all features, such as video calling for example using Skype.

Why add that tidbit? Author seems to fail to understand what updates do.

quick question, where in the blue hell is dead space? downloaded the new cave title earlier, cracking game and splinter cell, which is pretty damn impressive, but i need my dead space hit. :(

hey guys, i hope someone knows about this:

the headset that came with my omnia 7 is broken, that only the left earplug works. i searched for a new one on amazon but they only offer replacements with only 2 buttons and it seems that some headsets simply dont support all the functionality (make/end calls, volume regulation, skip tracks by double tapping) the original headset has.

do you know which headset works perfectly fine with omnia 7?

no one?

Vanillalite

If my Focus gets Apollo, and just can't use some of the obvious features because like well my phone doesn't have a FFC that's totally fine. That might allow me to fulfill my wishes of waiting till 2013 to really upgrade my phone.

If my Focus gets Apollo, and just can't use some of the obvious features because like well my phone doesn't have a FFC that's totally fine. That might allow me to fulfill my wishes of waiting till 2013 to really upgrade my phone.

I have my omnia since last summer and planned to upgrade 2013 as well, but I really want apollo. lets see, if I get the upgrade.

kharma45

Played with my brothers Lumia 800 today.

Wonderful looking device in cyan colour but I noticed when in the browser the pinch to zoom gesture seemed to stutter when performed :\ anyone else experienced this?

tci

Wonderful looking device in cyan colour but I noticed when in the browser the pinch to zoom gesture seemed to stutter when performed :\ anyone else experienced this?
Never really experienced that myself. But that depends on the site you are visiting I guess. On the graphics load.

Vanillalite

Only get this if I don't let the page to load fully or if I'm looking through GAF and the thread has a bunch of GIFs. Then things like scrolling slowdown.

kharma45

Never really experienced that myself. But that depends on the site you are visiting I guess. On the graphics load.

Happens on pretty much all sites.

Only get this if I don't let the page to load fully or if I'm looking through GAF and the thread has a bunch of GIFs. Then things like scrolling slowdown.

As I said to the quote about this is happening on every page, even if it's fully loaded.

Might try a hard reset on it for him, and if that doesn't work, maybe look into flashing an unbranded ROM.

Pretty disappointing to see my Optimus 7 being smoother for browsing than his Lumia 800.

The Verge "This is my next" Lumia 900:

So, I've finally convinced myself I can use Mango as my daily driver. What about hardware? Nokia is the only Windows Phone manufacturer who's bet the farm on the platform, and its hardware shows — every device from Samsung and LG has been either forgettable, a rehash of an Android product, or both. HTC's been a little better, but they're not at Nokia's level on the Windows Phone side (and considering the circumstances, I can't blame them). But that Lumia 800... my goodness. That design! I don't think it's a stretch to say that the N9 / Lumia 800 chassis could go down as most beautiful device Nokia has ever made. In fact, I think you could say that it — along with the iPhone 4 / 4S — is the best phone design in history. That's not an exaggeration.
But then, Nokia... then you scale it up to a more reasonable and modern 4.3 inches, add a front-facing camera, and give it LTE. You offer it in your amazing shade of searing, unapologetic cyan, and you sell it in the US on AT&T. It's like you've personally made a bespoke phone for me.

With the possibility of Apollo coming to current gen devices, I'm so close to jumping on the 900 (when it comes out).

hwalker84

I don't recall any version of android removing major functionality that was recently introduced.

I'm a little confused why they would even bother with addressing a device with 256MB of ram, I refuse to believe it's cost oriented for assembly lines. It would literally be cents to push up to the next ram slot, but I guess with licensing costs accounted for, every corner makes sense to cut.

Same here all that I've heard from low end Tango are great features being removed or nerfed. It feels like they're ruining the windows phone experience.

hwalker84

Any idea when we're going to be getting more apollo news? Or new information about the upcoming phones?

No clue. Right now we don't even have all the news regarding Tango.

I'm still debating whether I sell my Titan for a 900 or keep it till a Nokia Apollo device comes out. Maybe by that time I'll see LTE on AT&T in Pittsburgh.

Vanillalite

No clue. Right now we don't even have all the news regarding Tango.

I'm still debating whether I sell my Titan for a 900 or keep it till a Nokia Apollo device comes out. Maybe by that time I'll see LTE on AT&T in Pittsburgh.

You have a 2nd gen WP device already though. What will the 900 do that your current phone doesn't? Seems like a waste IMO to upgrade to the 900 verses holding out till Fall. Heck your Titan isn't even a year old yet is it?

bedlamite

I don't know, that tablet looks dead sexy but holding it horizontally would be...difficult. Tablets need that bezel, otherwise you'll have nothing to hold onto.

MrBig

I don't know, that tablet looks dead sexy but holding it horizontally would be...difficult. Tablets need that bezel, otherwise you'll have nothing to hold onto.

You hold onto it with the back, not the front. My thumbs always rest on the corners (the iPad has terrible ergonomics considering this) on my 10" android tab. Considering W8 has major use of the sides for thumb swipes, large bezels would be nothing but a plight.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else ever get burn in on there screen? I got a Focus and I can see the mail tile and the outline of other tiles. I actually have a warranty for the phone, wonder if screen burn in is covered?

Vanillalite

Anyone else ever get burn in on there screen? I got a Focus and I can see the mail tile and the outline of other tiles. I actually have a warranty for the phone, wonder if screen burn in is covered?

OG Focus or one of the newer ones like the Focus Flash? I have the OG Focus, and I've never seen this.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
OG Focus. I should try and take a picture of it. This could be nice timing actually. Best Buy is supposed to give you a new phone on the spot, could give me an easy way to upgrade to the 900.

gcubed

OG Focus. I should try and take a picture of it. This could be nice timing actually. Best Buy is supposed to give you a new phone on the spot, could give me an easy way to upgrade to the 900.

good luck with that. What warranty did you get? I think the best you can get is the black tie one, and that you get to "borrow" a phone for $50 while you wait for a refurb to come back in 3-5 days. Replace it and cancel your protection plan. Best Buy warranties on phones are a scam

PG2G

Burn in on SAMOLED actually isn't too rare. If you google it a bit, you'll see lots of instances of it on the Galaxy S line.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
good luck with that. What warranty did you get? I think the best you can get is the black tie one, and that you get to "borrow" a phone for $50 while you wait for a refurb to come back in 3-5 days.

It is product replacement plan through Best Buy. If it can't be fixed in the store I believe they are supposed to give me a new Focus. I have read of people paying the difference for a newer phone. I'm not going to try until the 900 is in stock though.

When I check my mail I can totally see the ghosts of tiles and the mail icon.

gcubed

It is product replacement plan through Best Buy. If it can't be fixed in the store I believe they are supposed to give me a new Focus. I have read of people paying the difference for a newer phone. I'm not going to try until the 900 is in stock though.

When I check my mail I can totally see the ghosts of tiles and the mail icon.

i hope so for your sake, but a mobile phone warranty from best buy is usually a nightmare and exercise in frustration... i have nightmares just thinking about my experience. All of their plans you get through best buy mobile require you to send your phone in

edit... and yes, AMOLED image retention is common. Pure burn in is more rare, usually flashing between a bright and black screen clears our IR (or time).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom