• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Is it dead?

Nokia Lumia 1020 won't turn on. The little windows logo briefly lights up when the cable is connected.

It's unrecognized by Windows 7 so the Microsoft, Nokia and Lumia recovery software tools are no good, plus I can't do the button combo soft/hard reset.

It used to randomly lock up / freeze but the soft reset option was always available to bring it back, now it just doesn't to do anything.

Don't do it for holidays (I reinstalled 8.1 before Scotland/Cozumel) or if you can't get to a computer. I'm using it now as my daily driver for the icon, but it could very well not be polished enough after a couple of days of usage.

If you're willing to try it out for a couple of days and not be supremely upset if you need to revert and reinstall all your apps, then go ahead and try it.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Don't do it for holidays (I reinstalled 8.1 before Scotland/Cozumel) or if you can't get to a computer. I'm using it now as my daily driver for the icon, but it could very well not be polished enough after a couple of days of usage.

If you're willing to try it out for a couple of days and not be supremely upset if you need to revert and reinstall all your apps, then go ahead and try it.

Thanks for the advice.

I got my 920 to mess around with so i will just stick with that.

It's far from dead. What I meant is the branding is dead. Yes its still the Surface but the Surface 3 lacked "Surface" branding that the previous models had. "Lumia" branding has also removed in favor of "Microsoft."

Surface Pro 1 at least has the windows logo instead of surface on its back

Put the new build on my old 820. In general the core OS runs much better than the pervious versions. It does crash the phone when I try to open every other app though. You can see it coming along slowly. Hopefully the next build will be getting there.

hankster

830 with Lumia Camera 4.x
svWAFWw.jpg
640XL with Lumia Camera 5.x

oops - fixed now....

Zeknurn

Hmm.

Haha, this is funny. Windows 10 is coming out this summer and I just bought a Windows XP disc for my Toshiba laptop. Real question will be - is Windows 10 better than XP? I seriously doubt that it will be. And a side question - what the hell happened to "9"? To go from 8.1 to 10 and skip 9 is just weird to me.

so i'm currently running wp 10 on my old 930, just to have some fun. it's not the latest build, i'm sure. anyway, it is trying to install the lumia updates (no idea which ones... denim perhaps? been a while since i used the phone) but fails, no doubt because of the changes in the OS. any ideas?

Treo360

So far a lot of my issues for the preview have been fixed on my 1520. Gone is the hypersensitive screen, the lack of mms, and for the most part, loading screens.

Introduced are apps that won't update: mixradio , extra+info, Here maps, and network+.

Oh, and Skype isn't available for me to download.

Otherwise this is stable enough for what I use it for.

Rolling circle pictures!

Desktop build 10154 has reverted to a square profile pic on sign in, so maybe there is hope the circles won't stay?

Razdek

Banned
Nope, never moved past 0%. Dammit.

Edit: how do you download music on Xbox music for Android? I remember seeing a toggle and its not there anymore. I made sure that the phone is on the device list.

I think you can only do it for playlists and you toggle the make offline option.

GTI Guy

Took the new build on my 830. Performance wise not bad. Some stuff annoys me about the os though.

Why did they get rid of favorite pictures? dumb
Why did they get rid of unified inboxes? dumb
Why can't I pin an email folder anymore? dumb
Why can't I have email in my quick status anymore? dumb
I have music saved to my phone's SD card and the music app does not see it. WTF
Music on my one drive isn't syncing from the phone completely so I can only access some of my music. WTF
I had an appointment and it no longer pops up with a snooze/dismiss offering along with an alert. It just showed in my notification center. Terrible

There's other stuff that sucks I'm sure.

There's some good stuff but alot of stuff that annoys me.

Took the new build on my 830. Performance wise not bad. Some stuff annoys me about the os though.

Music on my one drive isn't syncing from the phone completely so I can only access some of my music. WTF
I had an appointment and it no longer pops up with a snooze/dismiss offering along with an alert. It just showed in my notification center. Terrible

Well, it *IS* still in development.

Razdek

Banned

Music app crashes all the time for me on this build.

joshschw

Well, it *IS* still in development.

That is nice and all, but at the end of the day they got rid of stuff that worked well - ex: the Photos app - and replaced it with a convoluted mess that barely functions on a 1520. Newer doesn't mean better, and complaining about lack of features in the new is perfectly fine. Isn't that why they want the feedback? (Yes)

GTI Guy

THIS.

It annoys me to no end that people download prerelease software and expect it to work like the finished product.

Guys I get it is still being worked on. I know it won't be perfect, I guess people shouldn't say ANYTHING until it is final release then eh? I was sharing for those who are considering updating.

I figured out how to pin email folders so that still works, which is good. The fact that I can't merge inboxes sucks though.

The music app is quite nice if it would sync all of my music on OneDrive and let me access the music on my phone that'd be cool. There's no excuse for not allowing me to play music on my phone, that should be a core function.

NeOak

THIS.

It annoys me to no end that people download prerelease software and expect it to work like the finished product.
I guess you didn't have to deal with the Music app when 8.0 came out.

And that was supposed to be a finished product.

m3k

Hey people I have a 920 and the sound/speakers are messed up... It will ring but wont play videos. Does anyone know how to fix this yet?

I updated my phone to win10, but for some reason the English speak files didn't carry over. But now the download a speech language page is blank and won't let me download anything, so I'm out of Cortana...

And to make matters worse, my phone is in quiet hours, even though I'm sure I never set it up, and I see no way to disable it without Cortana...

Ganondolf

Just installed wm10 on my phone and I have a few questions:

1. where is the me tile? is this removed?
2. in the action menu quick links the quiet hours is flashing but when I press it nothing happens. is this normal?
3. is there a way to change the sms notification sound?
4. is there a way to add ringtones/sms sounds (connecting to pc and drag and drop or on device)?
5. on the small tile size on wp8.1 some apps display info. has this option been removed as they are no longer doing this?

Does whatsapp fails to run in background for anyone else?

It seems to work right after the fist boot, but now I only receive messages when the app is open

Crud

Banned
My 640 should be here tomorrow cant wait!

I cracked my 635 on Thursday night I hate how the 635 is shaped shit fell right out of my hand cracked screen I'm going to keep it and get it fixed use it as a MP3 player.

Anyone here have a 640 or 640XL?

hadareud

The Translator
Impressions of the build after using it for a few days:

• it's really fast and smooth, probably faster than 8.1 on my 1020
  • in general use (outside of apps) it's far more stable than previous builds
  • apps seem to be more stable and less buggy as well, but there's still a considerable amount of crashes with some (especially Edge)
  • the new Edge interface is a big improvement over the previous one, the browser itself also feels faster than before - but it is buggy and likes to crash. Sometimes it crashes a few seconds after launching (with the address bar greyed out), only a restart fixes that
  • the music app is coming together quite nicely now, it's a big step up over what we had on 8.1. While that's not that difficult, I think the new UI is genuinely nice.
  • that said, the initial song discovery takes a very long time and if you back out of it can lead to stuff on your phone not being discovered,they need to fix that. Also, no live tile.
  • there's still a large number of UI inconsistencies (old vs new, new vs newer, weird vs strange etc), but things are improved over the previous build and and there's a few nice touches showing up here and there
  • Apps still need a lot of work both from a bug fixing and a feature perspective. I really like Outlook, but there's some way to go to make it really good (lacking options, crashing, weird orange bar at the top, sometimes starting in landscape and seemingly being stuck there forever, no live tiles or unread counts which is especially shit for the calendar).
  • the people hub now no longer calls Facebook Crossy Road and it also doesn't crash anymore when you're linking contacts together, but it's still a long way from being finished. Facebook updates don't appear at the moment (only Twitter), suggested contacts don't work, no me tile etc. etc.
  • Cortana is slow as fuck
  • the Store still needs a lot of work
  • there's still a lot of annoying bugs (one that springs to mind is that keyboard closing down after each letter you type in the search in the app list)
  • battery life seems to be worse than on the previous build, but that's a bit early to say after only a few days

Overall it's a big step forward in performance with a lot of small improvements in look and feel. If you're looking for big new features you'll be disappointed, but if you're prepared to live with a few bugs and crashes I think this build is probably ready to be installed on your main phone for a lot of people.

After seeing this step between 36 & 49 I'm a lot more confident that W10 will be ready for phones in September. As for game changing features, they're not there and if they're not there yet they are very unlikely to come at the time of release.

Does whatsapp fails to run in background for anyone else?

It seems to work right after the fist boot, but now I only receive messages when the app is open

Works fine for me, maybe try rebooting the phone.

Regarding your other issue, I'd try a hard reset.

Just installed wm10 on my phone and I have a few questions:

1. where is the me tile? is this removed?

Seems to be gone for now.

2. in the action menu quick links the quiet hours is flashing but when I press it nothing happens. is this normal?

Yes, that is "normal".

3. is there a way to change the sms notification sound?

Yes, go to all settings > system > notifications and select messaging

4. is there a way to add ringtones/sms sounds (connecting to pc and drag and drop or on device)?

No, but there's an app called ringtone maker with which you can create ringtones from sound files/songs. Not sure if it works on W10, but it should.

5. on the small tile size on wp8.1 some apps display info. has this option been removed as they are no longer doing this?

Like unread counts? Still works except for apps that don't yet have a live-tile (outlook, etc.)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I think I figured out why the phone won't update to the latest build: I have the same issue as another poster where the phone thinks it's on battery saver. Do I just need to wi please wipe the phone or is there a possible solution?

I've already rebooted and plugged the phone in etc.

Paganmoon

question about upgrade path to WM10, will the upgrade force you to reconfigure all your apps? Will you have to "reregister" your authenticators etc, or does it migrate those things as well?

question about upgrade path to WM10, will the upgrade force you to reconfigure all your apps? Will you have to "reregister" your authenticators etc, or does it migrate those things as well?

And upgrade does not include a complete reset of your phone. It's recommended to do one afterwards, but you don't have to.

hadareud

The Translator
I think I figured out why the phone won't update to the latest build: I have the same issue as another poster where the phone thinks it's on battery saver. Do I just need to wi please wipe the phone or is there a possible solution?

I've already rebooted and plugged the phone in etc.

I suspect it's going to have to be a hard reset.

It depends. If you just update everything will still be there.

However, I would definitely recommend doing a hard reset once you have updated because things run much more smoothly that way.

If you do, you'll have to re-download all the apps and the ones that don't back up your settings (authenticator being one of them) will have to be re-configured. Not that that takes too long - if you're using Authenticator for your MS account, the phone will recognise that when you first log in and select your phone's backup and not require 2 factor authentication. Then you go to your security settings for your MS account and move to a different phone once the authenticator app has downloaded again.

For Google accounts it's also just a simple case of going to account settings and moving your authenticator app to a different phone (for LastPass you need to disable and then re-enable Authenticator etc.). All in all that takes a few minutes.

Downloading your apps again takes a while and of course you also have to re-sync your music.

Does anyone use a bicycle/action cam with Windows Phone 8.1? If so which one?
I'm looking at the Garmin Vibe or Shimano CM-1000 but the WP8.1 support is, as usual, woeful it seems so i'm hoping someone here can help me choose.

tldr; Who has the best app support for windows phone with their action camera?

JaggedSac

635 finally upgraded to latest version but then the main applications were not working (music, photos, etc) so I did a hard reset. Now when I hit the power button, the Nokia screen shows for a second or two, then the gears start spinning. The gears never make progress and the phone apparently turns off because when I hit power button again, it does the same thing all over again. Ideas, thoughts?

EDIT: Just noticed that before it cuts off, there is a frowny face displayed for a moment..... :(

Finally jumped to Windows Phone with a Lumia 535. So far so good, amazing performance for the price. The camera could be a little better but it's still quite good!

ElNino

Question for the 830 owners, particularly ones that came from a 920/1020. How do you find it for normal day-to-day usage? Does the 1 GB of memory hold it up much? Do you find the camera (on Denim) is good enough?

My 1020 is still working ok, but it's having a harder time making through a day on a single charge. I'd like to wait and see what is coming (this fall?) for WP10 devices but I can buy a almost new 830 for $200 and I'm considering picking it up in the interim. I'll still be eligible for upgrade this fall if I want as well.

Top Bottom