• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

10 or 8.1?

10, the latest build.

Once I got into windows 10 I definitely had notifications, but the phone got some updates, and I messed a little with the settings (nothing that could prevent it, I actually gave more permissions like running in background while on battery saver)

Impressions of the build after using it for a few days:

• it's really fast and smooth, probably faster than 8.1 on my 1020
  • in general use (outside of apps) it's far more stable than previous builds
  • apps seem to be more stable and less buggy as well, but there's still a considerable amount of crashes with some (especially Edge)
  • the new Edge interface is a big improvement over the previous one, the browser itself also feels faster than before - but it is buggy and likes to crash. Sometimes it crashes a few seconds after launching (with the address bar greyed out), only a restart fixes that
  • the music app is coming together quite nicely now, it's a big step up over what we had on 8.1. While that's not that difficult, I think the new UI is genuinely nice.
  • that said, the initial song discovery takes a very long time and if you back out of it can lead to stuff on your phone not being discovered,they need to fix that. Also, no live tile.
  • there's still a large number of UI inconsistencies (old vs new, new vs newer, weird vs strange etc), but things are improved over the previous build and and there's a few nice touches showing up here and there
  • Apps still need a lot of work both from a bug fixing and a feature perspective. I really like Outlook, but there's some way to go to make it really good (lacking options, crashing, weird orange bar at the top, sometimes starting in landscape and seemingly being stuck there forever, no live tiles or unread counts which is especially shit for the calendar).
  • the people hub now no longer calls Facebook Crossy Road and it also doesn't crash anymore when you're linking contacts together, but it's still a long way from being finished. Facebook updates don't appear at the moment (only Twitter), suggested contacts don't work, no me tile etc. etc.
  • Cortana is slow as fuck
  • the Store still needs a lot of work
  • there's still a lot of annoying bugs (one that springs to mind is that keyboard closing down after each letter you type in the search in the app list)
  • battery life seems to be worse than on the previous build, but that's a bit early to say after only a few days

Overall it's a big step forward in performance with a lot of small improvements in look and feel. If you're looking for big new features you'll be disappointed, but if you're prepared to live with a few bugs and crashes I think this build is probably ready to be installed on your main phone for a lot of people.

After seeing this step between 36 & 49 I'm a lot more confident that W10 will be ready for phones in September. As for game changing features, they're not there and if they're not there yet they are very unlikely to come at the time of release.

Works fine for me, maybe try rebooting the phone.

Regarding your other issue, I'd try a hard reset.

Seems to be gone for now.

Yes, that is "normal".

Yes, go to all settings > system > notifications and select messaging

No, but there's an app called ringtone maker with which you can create ringtones from sound files/songs. Not sure if it works on W10, but it should.

Like unread counts? Still works except for apps that don't yet have a live-tile (outlook, etc.)

Yeah, that build is really stable. It almost makes me worried about the desktop version, since it's supposed to be the focus, but still feels ways before this mobile build regarding polish and finish.

Rebooting the phone won't work, but I really didn't want to restore just for this, it's annoying, but I'm not sure if that's a big deal...

Thank you anyway, knowing that this is indeed not right already helps.

Magni

I think I figured out why the phone won't update to the latest build: I have the same issue as another poster where the phone thinks it's on battery saver. Do I just need to wi please wipe the phone or is there a possible solution?

I've already rebooted and plugged the phone in etc.

Mine's also stuck on 0%, but the battery is full and Battery Saver is off... I'm gonna let it do its thing over lunch and hope that it's moved some by then.

Ganondolf

I had some weird problems. the peoples app just stopped working today (was fine yesterday) and also my pinned shopping list which is part the msn food app would not open too (weirdly the food app itself opened fine).

I also notice the background tasks setting does not open so all loads of apps are draining the battery. lots of other little things so I have decide to do a hard reset and manually install my apps and see if that fixes things.

it quite weird that a lot of stuff works at the start then just stops working.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So, uhm, neat?

PTL6ENz.jpg

Give me a 4,7 to 5 inch version and I'm game.

Magni

Mine's also stuck on 0%, but the battery is full and Battery Saver is off... I'm gonna let it do its thing over lunch and hope that it's moved some by then.

Still busted, getting error 0x8024201f while attempting to update and Google isn't showing me any helpful results :(

This isn't my main phone so I don't mind resetting it but I wish the process were smoother... Don't want to reset my phone when the full release comes along.

It kinda makes sense the current news that Ms is selling some maps stuff to Uber...

And since Ms is putting bing behind their services/apps like Cortana, I guess they wouldn't lose much by not having a few searches by default with their phones.

JaggedSac

Not only they would get one less competition, they would get another company making phones for them, and one that has unmatched tech on camera under their umbrella.

MS would get out of the phone making game if this were true. Otherwise, why make a deal. Just make an android phone and make one off deals with the biggest OEMs to bundle software. They've already done part of that.

Also, are they saying Google is going to force hardware manufacturers to bundle the software?

The leap in build quality on the desktop and mobile side is pretty inspiring.

Yeah, software development can be really fascinating. I'd love to get some insight on the building and compilation process. How everything comes together from different teams and different branches. I mean, I know it on a smaller scale, but something like an operating system is an enormous difference.

I'd watch a documentary series about that.

Yeah, software development can be really fascinating. I'd love to get some insight on the building and compilation process. How everything comes together from different teams and different branches. I mean, I know it on a smaller scale, but something like an operating system is an enormous difference.

I was working on a test optimization problem for the last couple of months on the phone team, and looking at some Branches' massive change-list was incredible. The goal was to reach the most amount of code-coverage on changed codepaths with the least amount of tests and in the quickest amount of testing time possible. The goal was to get this on a daily testpass for each individual Branch, such that quick, fairly comprehensive test results could be available at the earliest time possible every day. It also was used as a gate before checkin for each individual dev on some teams, so that if they touch another team's code, even minutely, they could find a set of tests to validate the change with ensuring the checkin was correct (say the team member on the other team wasn't familiar with the tests to run per checkin area). 'Twas an amazing project to co-head with my recently-left-Microsoft coworker. That got me deep into knowledge of build-system and the level of scale with which they operate. Really fascinating stuff that I hope somebody writes about.

NeOak

Welcome to my world! <3

He has been summoned!

Banned source, as far as I'm concerned.

But where am I gonna get a professional review of 6brot then?

I was working on a test optimization problem for the last couple of months on the phone team, and looking at some Branches' massive change-list was incredible. The goal was to reach the most amount of code-coverage on changed codepaths with the least amount of tests and in the quickest amount of testing time possible. The goal was to get this on a daily testpass for each individual Branch, such that quick, fairly comprehensive test results could be available at the earliest time possible every day. It also was used as a gate before checkin for each individual dev on some teams, so that if they touch another team's code, even minutely, they could find a set of tests to validate the change with ensuring the checkin was correct (say the team member on the other team wasn't familiar with the tests to run per checkin area). 'Twas an amazing project to co-head with my recently-left-Microsoft coworker. That got me deep into knowledge of build-system and the level of scale with which they operate. Really fascinating stuff that I hope somebody writes about.

Time for you to write blogs or a book.

Magni

Still busted, getting error 0x8024201f while attempting to update and Google isn't showing me any helpful results :(

This isn't my main phone so I don't mind resetting it but I wish the process were smoother... Don't want to reset my phone when the full release comes along.

So apparently the only fix is to revert to 8.1 first via the Recovery tool... but the micro-USB port on my 820 is broken (after only 5 months with it, so much for Nokia durability), so I'm SOL. My 820 will be doomed to be on 10080 forever? :(

Surface Phone running Android with Google Play services and Microsoft app suite?

Might not actually be terrible. Hopefully they would make a home screen and keyboard replacement app.

dream

Not a documentary, but Showstopper! is a fantastic book that chronicles the development of Windows NT.

hankster

That's not off contract. It requires activation and two months of service. Better than two years of service, but still not as good as $50 out the door no strings attached for the 635.
Missed the 2 month part. So $100 for it then. Still not bad for what you get vs the 635.

ATT has a $200 bill credit if you open an new line and get a new phone on their Next plan. So you can get a new 940XL for $8 a month pay for a new line until the bill credit appears after 2 bill cycles. Cancel the new line with no penalty and pay off the phone. Lots of work but you can get the 940XL for about $140 after paying taxes, activation fee, and 2 months of service.

Darn. Was just looking at the supposed specs for the 940XL, which currently lists a 1/2.5" sensor in the camera. I don't know how accurate that is, but I was hoping to see something along the lines of the 2/3" of the 1020.

Hopefully that numbers changes? That'd be cool.

Top Bottom