• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

bedlamite

Well like Ape mentioned, there's this:

BIsxQTF.png

Microsoft promised as much, but flagship can mean anything, really. A 935 with a Snapdragon 801/805 would already qualify as such, but what Windows Phone needs are more game changers. Something like the old 1020, but this time with an up to date hardware.

Newer and more powerful chipsets mean jack and shit when you don't have the apps to make use of them. There are just no fucking games out there; why would I need a Snapdragon 805? Give me a bombass camera, maybe an integrated audio amp, better screens, curious form factors... just don't fucking bother releasing a new "flagship phone" if the only thing that brings to the table is more power noone is going to use.
My wife's 1020 is starting to show its age in the camera app, autofocus takes too long and shot-to-shot time is poor, a more powerful CPU for the 1020's successor would indeed be greatly appreciated.

True innovation is hard, and I don't even know if Nokia's capable of it anymore as their hardware design has gotten a little stale ever since Ahtisaari left.

kharma45

Microsoft promised as much, but flagship can mean anything, really. A 935 with a Snapdragon 801/805 would already qualify as such, but what Windows Phone needs are more game changers. Something like the old 1020, but this time with an up to date hardware.

Newer and more powerful chipsets mean jack and shit when you don't have the apps to make use of them. There are just no fucking games out there; why would I need a Snapdragon 805? Give me a bombass camera, maybe an integrated audio amp, better screens, curious form factors... just don't fucking bother releasing a new "flagship phone" if the only thing that brings to the table is more power noone is going to use.

Well said.

The only phone they've managed to release, both in WP7 and WP8, that has really done anything stand-out hardware wise is the 920 (and to a lesser extent the 1020, but it's essentially the same phone bar the camera changing).

hadareud

The Translator
The McLaren better not have been the 1030.

If there's no successor to the 1020 this year I will be very tempted to jump ship.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Weren't people in the last OT saying it was a gimmick anyways?

I think it is, but at least is something curious that can start a conversation. What's interesting about the new Lumia 935? Heck, what makes any WP phone released after the 1020 to stand out?

The McLaren better not have been the 1030.

If there's no successor to the 1020 this year I will be very tempted to jump ship.
I'm straight up bailing if that's the case. I'll keep my Lumia 920 until it's no longer apt and then I'll go Android.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I just need a 920 successor. I would be happy with the 930 if it were ever to come out in Canada. A new 120 would be great as well.

TylerD

I'm excited for the Cyan update on my cyan Lumia 920. Getting close to 2 years on this thing and I still love it.

jaypah

Yeah I still love this kitchen yellow behemoth of a 920 but I'm itching for an upgrade. They need to at least announce something that I can hype on.

Totakeke

Welp, it looks more and more like investors wanting Microsoft to focus on the enterprise are getting their wishes with Nadella.

On the other hand it seems like the mobile hardware space is truly stagnant now. Not that I really mind it, I'm pretty happy with what I already have.

hadareud

The Translator
MS are now in real danger of completely fucking up WP for good.

Since the announcement of the last of the first wave of WP8 devices (the 1020) they've basically undone all the good work and goodwill they've built up in the year before.

The next 6 months are crucial. If they can't bring anything new to the table and completely change their way from trip feeding hardware to different markets around the world this autumn, they might as well pack it in.

The cancellation of what was touted to be their flagship device does not bode well. If there's nothing else, nothing else really compelling that goes hand-in-hand with new features of the OS what will be the reason that anyone would stay with the platform beyond this summer?

I can't say that I have any confidence that they have something up their sleeves at this stage.

Pulled the trigger on a Lumia Icon yesterday. Really impressed with it so far. The interface/the keyboard/everything just works so fucking well.

MS are now in real danger of completely fucking up WP for good.

Since the announcement of the last of the first wave of WP8 devices (the 1020) they've basically undone all the good work and goodwill they've built up in the year before.

The next 6 months are crucial. If they can't bring anything new to the table and completely change their way from trip feeding hardware to different markets around the world this autumn, they might as well pack it in.

The cancellation of what was touted to be their flagship device does not bode well. If there's nothing else, nothing else really compelling that goes hand-in-hand with new features of the OS what will be the reason that anyone would stay with the platform beyond this summer?

I can't say that I have any confidence that they have something up their sleeves at this stage.

Well from their leadership and even people that work for MS and post here, it's all about low end. The problem is that they are not fast enough and now Android have catch up with low end phone. While I still feel Nokia 520 and 635 is better deal than the Moto, some people will prefer a better apps market. The family I got to convert to Windows Phone earlier this year, two of the family members already ditch the 520 and went to cheap Android phones because the lack of apps.

I think their strategy was sound to get to low end market in developing country but just as anything else they are just too late and Android just quickly adopted all the good Windows Phone and Nokia ideas from flat and smooth UI to wireless charging to OIS and low light camera.

you need the low end. You also need to deliver a uniform flagship on every carrier in the US/every band in europe. If that can't be done sales will suffer, mindshare will suffer, developers won't pay attention, and consumers will suffer.

hadareud

The Translator
you need the low end. You also need to deliver a uniform flagship on every carrier in the US/every band in europe. If that can't be done sales will suffer, mindshare will suffer, developers won't pay attention, and consumers will suffer.

Exactly.

You can't go for the low end without going for the high end.

All good for you LF btw?

Exactly.

You can't go for the low end without going for the high end.

All good for you LF btw?

I've come out unscathed, though possible wouldn't have been had I stayed in my old position. It's a real shame to see those go, though the varied public reports make it seem like it was 'the right' . Quotations are there because even if a project is canned, you always hope everyone on that team gets a crack at a new project that needs staffing up.

Heretic

Anything on the horizon for WP that we can look forward to? Has to be somewhat demoralizing for you guys to read these posts. I don't want to switch. Any semblance of good news is welcomed...

Xbox Music works fine for me on WP and Win8 *shrugs *shill

the biggest issue for me now (and it's a big issue) is the slow loading of artist names when browsing my entire streaming+local collection. It takes far, far, far too long to load up names. Also it takes a while to load up the names of songs when I click on an album. Not as bad, but still an awful experience.

Xbox music on the desktop is awesome. I've been using it constantly since I subbed around November. I really like that app

I wonder how much of the McLaren's demise had to do with the Amazon Fire Phone's introduction and poor sales? Face it, 3D is a gimmick that died.

Bring on a true 1030 and I'll buy it.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
José Mourinho;121624075 said:
I refuse to use it on phone until they allow me to turn off their metadata. It's horrendous and always reeks havoc with my collection.

Yeah, I could see that being an issue with your own music. All my music on the phone is from my XM subscription.

hadareud

The Translator
I've come out unscathed, though possible wouldn't have been had I stayed in my old position. It's a real shame to see those go, though the varied public reports make it seem like it was 'the right' . Quotations are there because even if a project is canned, you always hope everyone on that team gets a crack at a new project that needs staffing up.

Glad you were ok.

Awful situation.

Tablo

*commits seppuku*
If McLaren ain't happening then there better be a solid flagship out this fall, for fucks sake I would take a slightly modified 1020, all it fucking needs is more power, a better display, more battery.

JaggedSac

*commits seppuku*
If McLaren ain't happening then there better be a solid flagship out this fall, for fucks sake I would take a slightly modified 1020, all it fucking needs is more power, a better display, more battery.

Tom said there were more phones. One of which we might like more than the McLaren(personal speculation). We don't even really know what the McLaren was all about. Could have been a Galaxy Zoom type thing for all we know.

I'm on T-mobile and I have the Lumia 810 which isn't getting 8.1. Right now I'm in the market for a new windows phone since my current phone won't be getting 8.1. It's between the Lumia 635 and the Lumia 925. I have to go through T-mobile since I can get a discount on my data and voice plan when I upgrade. I was thinking about the 925 but the only ones T-Mobile has online are refurbished ones for $200.

Right now I'm leaning towards the 635 only because it's new.

maeh2k

I'm on T-mobile and I have the Lumia 810 which isn't getting 8.1. Right now I'm in the market for a new windows phone since my current phone won't be getting 8.1. It's between the Lumia 635 and the Lumia 925. I have to go through T-mobile since I can get a discount on my data and voice plan when I upgrade. I was thinking about the 925 but the only ones T-Mobile has online are refurbished ones for $200.

Right now I'm leaning towards the 635 only because it's new.

The 635 is nice if you can get it for $100, but in some respects it might still be a downgrade. The camera is probably worse and the screen might be too. $200 for a refurbished 925 with its old hardware isn't great either.

I've heard Android is nice this time of the year. Maybe start thinking about jumping ship.

The 635 is nice if you can get it for $100, but in some respects it might still be a downgrade. The camera is probably worse and the screen might be too. $200 for a refurbished 925 with its old hardware isn't great either.

I've heard Android is nice this time of the year. Maybe start thinking about jumping ship.

I've tried android, iphone and windows and I still like windows the best. I might just get the 635 since its cheap.

The only reason why I'm getting a new phone is because my bill will be $25 cheaper per month.

Top Bottom