• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Mehdoh News....

He's going to charge for the App starting early June (99 cents), but the updates and all are still going to be free if you own the app already. So basically download that shit anyways so you just have it even if you aren't going to use it. That way it's already in your bought section so you can redownload whenever you want/need to if it gets better in the future and want to switch to it.

Troll

Banned
Who else is going to install an early wp8 version on your current Gen device if possible? I know for damn sure I am.

Orpheus

Neo Member
Who else is going to install an early wp8 version on your current Gen device if possible? I know for damn sure I am.

For some reason, I'm not optimistic that they will let me install it on my Lumia 710. I haven't exactly been keeping up with any news regarding that, but something about only having 8gb of internal storage makes me doubtful.

But if it's possible, I'll install it day 1. I really hope that it is.

Troll

Banned
For some reason, I'm not optimistic that they will let me install it on my Lumia 710. I haven't exactly been keeping up with any news regarding that, but something about only having 8gb of internal storage makes me doubtful.

But if it's possible, I'll install it day 1. I really hope that it is.

I wouldn't let the 8gb worry you. This isn't like Windows 8 where you can partition your memory.

kazinova

Brettison said:
When is carcassonne releasing !?!?
I know I have been waiting for it too. Pinball FX2 should be out soon as well.

I was sad that Swarm came out this week and not Carcassonne, and I had previously been hotly anticipating geoDefense Swarm. But let's be serious, though, I'm way more excited to finally use the multiplayer part of the XBL hub that has been left unused for ALMOST TWO YEARS (at least I haven't seen the game that uses it yet).

JaggedSac

I was sad that Swarm came out this week and not Carcassonne, and I had previously been hotly anticipating geoDefense Swarm. But let's be serious, though, I'm way more excited to finally use the multiplayer part of the XBL hub that has been left unused for ALMOST TWO YEARS (at least I haven't seen the game that uses it yet).

Is it not asynchronous?

Vanillalite

Yeah I got hyped because I started playing MP Chess By Post with one of my best friends. We've been playing games for like 2 weeks now. Makes me want another MP game on my phone.

kazinova

Yeah I got hyped because I started playing MP Chess By Post with one of my best friends. We've been playing games for like 2 weeks now. Makes me want another MP game on my phone.

I'm honestly just interested to see how XBL implements play by post on the phone. It's nice to finally see a game use this feature. I just wish owning the 360 version would give me access to the WP7 version.

Hey, a man can dream, can't he?

I would make a thread if the source was in English and I could link to it/read it but I'm not going to make one based off of a second hand source.

I'm sure the various tech sites will report on it and one of them might get a brief blurb from MS PR if it's true.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Just got a Lumia 900. Kind of annoying that the power button is where my thumb rests, but otherwise I am loving it. Upgraded from Samsung Focus. Anything I need to do/get/delete?

Microsoft Store location #22 announced, Arlington, VA. The current store in Virginia must be doing really well if they are opening up another one 14 miles away.

One of the NJ stores opens this weekend if people in the area want to do the smoked by windows phone challenge.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The Nokia City Lens is pretty cool. It is a beta so you have to go to Nokia beta app website. Nokia Drive is great as well.

Vanillalite

Microsoft Store location #22 announced, Arlington, VA. The current store in Virginia must be doing really well if they are opening up another one 14 miles away.

One of the NJ stores opens this weekend if people in the area want to do the smoked by windows phone challenge.

The MS store I went into was cool in that it had a nice setup compared to your average electronic store. Similar to say an Apple store obviously. Yet like an Apple store it wasn't as if they really carried anything that I can't already get else where. So it's cool more stores are opening, but it's a mixed bag in terms of how much more useful this will be to people.

Now this is neat.

What app problem? Microsoft is developing a service to migrate all your Android apps to a new Windows Phone

According to a patent application filed in November 2010, Microsoft is working on a service that would let you migrate apps and app data between devices and even between different mobile operating systems.

Fnf72.jpg

Microsoft wants to patent an app migration service that would have a few different layers of functionality. First off, it could analyze what apps you have installed on, say an Android device (Microsoft even uses this example in its patent application). Then it would search for identical or similar apps in the Windows Phone Marketplace, present you with suggestions, and let you buy and install every app you want to with one click. In case an official app isn’t available in the WP Marketplace, this would presumably suggest well-performing third-party alternatives.

Furthermore, if one of your Android apps simply doesn’t have a correspondent in the WP world, the service will notify you if something similar ever becomes available in the future.

The Redmond company goes even further, imagining a complete solution in which your app data would be ‘migrated’ to your new Windows Phone from the other platform you were using, alongside the installation of apps. It remains to be seen how that would be accomplished in practice, since neither Android nor iOS, in their unrooted and unjailbroken forms, should allow access to app data by other apps (sandboxes are there for a reason). So this may not turn out to be an app migration service per se, but it would still make a very interesting app suggestion engine for those approaching Windows Phone after they’ve owned smartphones running other operating systems.

Microsoft also envisions this service being used even if you’re just interested in Windows Phone, but haven’t purchased a device yet. In that case, after analyzing the Android (or other OS) apps that you have on your current smartphone and generating the suggestions list, the service would even let you purchase a new Windows Phone on the spot. And if you decide not to, it would still notify you from time to time when new apps that you have on your existing platform are released for WP.

One thing that’s pretty clear is that unless Microsoft decides to throw some actual money at this through app subsidies, you’ll still need to pay for those Windows Phone apps that aren’t free, even if you’ve already paid for an Android or iOS version of the same app. And this will remain one of the big hurdles for WP to face in the future, especially as iOS and Android sales show no signs of slowing down.
http://www.unwiredview.com/2012/05/...all-your-android-apps-to-a-new-windows-phone/

It's not migration per se, but still interesting and could help people who want to switch.

AT&T Wireless CEO about Lumia 900 sales and future devices.

I am really pleased with what I am seeing out of Microsoft and Nokia coming out with their first product. The operating system works really well. It is simple, it is easy to use, it is intuitive.

The reception to the Lumia launch has actually exceeded our expectations. So we think there is a very good chance that Microsoft will have a very good OS that will be right in there with iOS and Android.

When they come out with Windows 8 in the fourth quarter, I think it will actually add to the value that that OS brings to the marketplace, in that that will be the first time that you can truly have a similar experience on your PC, on your tablet, and on your smartphone from soft Microsoft. From what I have seen and the previews that I have been given, I think it is going to be exceptionally good. I am very upbeat in what they are bringing to the market.

^Coincidentally, I thought about app investments from platform to platform. A lot of people have invested a lot of money in iPhone apps for example. Say 80% of those apps are also on the WP Marketplace, why shouldn't you be able to redownload those on the marketplace, for free?

^Coincidentally, I thought about app investments from platform to platform. A lot of people have invested a lot of money in iPhone apps for example. Say 80% of those apps are also on the WP Marketplace, why shouldn't you be able to redownload those on the marketplace, for free?
Because their was a whole other development process for those apps?

PG2G

Because Apple/Microsoft/Google get a cut of app store sales. If even one of them allowed this for free it'd encourage people to buy on the other stores and transfer them over. It'd be doable if the operating systems suspported side loading.

Different device, different license, different ecosystem. Just because you bought Bayonetta for the Xbox 360, it doesn't mean you can get the PS3 version for free.

venne

Because $$$.

It's easier to charge for the same thing over and over again rather than building something new.

kehs

Banned

Despite what everyone is saying here, this is where things are headed.

Long term success will hinge on creating a service platform where you make your revenue rather than depending on the upfront purchasing cost. Most of the successful standalone apps on any platform are that way only because the OS they are on are lacking in feature sets and they have to fill in the gaps.

in simpler terms, dat cloud.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
That sounds good and all, but can we get app backup working on the platform first before we go looking at other platforms? Seriously, I need to reset my phone and I dread doing it because I'll lose everything. I'm holding out hope that the Tango upgrade will fix this issue for me without having to wipe my data.

kharma45

That sounds good and all, but can we get app backup working on the platform first before we go looking at other platforms? Seriously, I need to reset my phone and I dread doing it because I'll lose everything. I'm holding out hope that the Tango upgrade will fix this issue for me without having to wipe my data.

There is an app called Reinstaller that sort of does the job but it's not perfect.

Despite what everyone is saying here, this is where things are headed.

Long term success will hinge on creating a service platform where you make your revenue rather than depending on the upfront purchasing cost. Most of the successful standalone apps on any platform are that way only because the OS they are on are lacking in feature sets and they have to fill in the gaps.

in simpler terms, dat cloud.
Maybe on Android, but on iOS & WP7 apps can't really dig deep into the OS so the top selling apps aren't like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom