• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh boy, women can get so crazy when they get in contact with advanced technology.

Which brings me back to the reason I switched to Windows Phone in the first place - I like the way it looks. I don't need to change it because I don't want to. Yes, there are things about Android that I really enjoy and will miss. (In fact, I'm still trying to find a simple design that will make the phone usable since I'm not ready to give up just yet. The thing is, now that I've seen what I can do, I just can't go back to Sense 4 with a grid of icons and a few widgets.) But the fact that I can customize it so much makes it more of a distraction than an actual tool. I can't believe I'm about to say this, but honestly, I need a tool, not a toy. Android is fun. It's cool. It's open and free. But I don't have time to care about all of that. I need a phone I can pick up and use. Windows Phone is exactly that and it manages to be seductively attractive in the process. It has all the apps I need, it has a fantastic and effective UI, and it has incredibly useful features like live tiles, Local Scout, the ability to pin pretty much any part of an app or the app itself to my Start screen, Microsoft Office integration, Bing Search, and more.

After extensive experience with both Android and Windows Phone, I feel I can honestly say that there are few things (outside of areas influenced by personal preference) that Android does better than Windows Phone. In some areas, perhaps some influenced by my personal preferences, Windows Phone is better.

I still enjoy using Android and I'll probably continue to carry an Android phone due to the nature of my job. However, while the extensive customization options intrigue me, it's just not something that adds to a device's value to a person like me. After an unofficial month-long trial, I'm switching back to Windows Phone. I know the OS is incredibly simple and minimalistic. That doesn't appeal to everyone, but for me, it's perfect.
http://www.phonedog.com/2012/05/17/after-one-month-with-android-i-m-going-back-to-windows-phone/

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Oh boy, women can get so crazy when they get in contact with advanced technology.

http://www.phonedog.com/2012/05/17/after-one-month-with-android-i-m-going-back-to-windows-phone/

172593-0home1a.jpg

at least she had good taste.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
That's gotta chap big G's hide. Especially after the hefty sum they parted with in large part to acquire moto's patent portfolio.

It's pretty much just Motorola trying to pretend that Android isn't violating MS patents, everyone else already settled. For everyone that tries to act like MS is just bullying companies, I'd like to see Motorola fight this. But I doubt they will win. It's not like Samsung, HTC, LG, B&N etc. felt like paying up out of the goodness of their hearts.

kehs

Banned
There's a thread up in the OT. Microsoft's original claim was for 9 patents, got reduced to 1 patent, covering only 4 claims out of 24 for the patent.

The patent is about making appointments on a server through a mobile device.

Smoking Gun.

tfur

It's pretty much just Motorola trying to pretend that Android isn't violating MS patents, everyone else already settled. For everyone that tries to act like MS is just bullying companies, I'd like to see Motorola fight this. But I doubt they will win. It's not like Samsung, HTC, LG, B&N etc. felt like paying up out of the goodness of their hearts.

B&N had a considerable bit evidence in regards to bullying. They were one of the few companies that publicly talked about it, and were exposing the details. Microsoft "settled", by investing 300 million, after that B&N dropped it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Wait, you're saying that not only did B&N not "settle" with MS, but MS actually paid them hush money cause they were going to ruin MS' bully strategy by talking about it? That's a take I hadn't heard before.

Blackhead

Redarse
Wait, you're saying that not only did B&N not "settle" with MS, but MS actually paid them hush money cause they were going to ruin MS' bully strategy by talking about it? That's a take I hadn't heard before.

There was some speculation at the time of the announcement
e.g.
Microsoft and Barnes & Noble settle patent dispute; create new subsidiary
By Mary Jo Foley | April 30, 2012, 4:38am PDT
2. The settlement piece of today’s announcement was buried in the press release. I’m thinking the creation of NewCo was one of the terms of the settlement, though so far, neither company is sharing any details of how their cantankerous patent dispute was tabled. B&N was one of the last companies to hold out from paying Microsoft royalties for publicly unspecified patents which Microsoft is claiming are infringed on by Android. Was today’s creation of NewCo predicated on B&N settling with Microsoft? Does B&N still have to pay Microsoft royalties on every Nook sold as part of the settlement? (Update: The answer to that one is yes, according to a Microsoft spokesperson.) No word on any of these questions so far, and I’m kind of doubtful there will be any more specifics shared about the settlement.

Holy shit, Xbox must be making a shitload of money if the division can pull in the profits it is while doing stuff like this.
Microsoft is already paying Nokia $1 billion a year to use its software on Lumia smartphones.

The MS store I went into was cool in that it had a nice setup compared to your average electronic store. Similar to say an Apple store obviously. Yet like an Apple store it wasn't as if they really carried anything that I can't already get else where. So it's cool more stores are opening, but it's a mixed bag in terms of how much more useful this will be to people.

I don't think the stores are about buying stuff as much as they are for just trying stuff out. I think Joe Q Public getting to tryout Windows 8 tablets in the stores this fall while having an employee show them how it works could do wonders for it's mind share.

Good article about the store in NJ opening up

I just bought a Samsung Focus Flash. I uploaded a ringtone, but it says it went sent to 'favorites'. I can't find it. Anyone have a clue, or what's the easiest set up to uploading ringtones?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I just bought a Samsung Focus Flash. I uploaded a ringtone, but it says it went sent to 'favorites'. I can't find it. Anyone have a clue, or what's the easiest set up to uploading ringtones?

There are some rules to follow for ringtone creation, here's a guide: link

Once you've done that and sync the ringtone, it'll show up under custom ringtones. There's also some apps that let you create/download custom ringtones.

giga

He posted that from an iPhone. Dagger. Also, where did you find that he is the lead designer on windows phone?

Edit: saw it on his profile, he listed himself as a creative director elsewhere.
…not sure who you're looking at. His twitter profile says: "Principal Design Lead on the Windows Phone design team."

His website:

Over the last two years I’ve been working on Windows Phone, leading design for the Communication, Productivity, and International experiences on the phone. When we launched Windows Phone, I spent a lot of time helping designers and developers learn how to build Apps for the platform. This past year I helped establish and build the relationship with Nokia. From 2008-2010 I led design for the KIN user experience. From 2004-2008 I was part of Nokia Design’s Insight & Innovation team in Los Angeles. In 2003 I worked on Microsoft’s SPOT project, and in 2000 I was an Industrial Designer at Designafairs in Erlangen, Germany.

http://kruzeniski.com/windows-phone/

Commodore

Nah, even those W8 style BG would kinda annoy me. But more options never hurt, I guess.

And if they introduce multi-colored tiles, then I'll rage.

I wouldn't kick up much a fuss if it was simply more options to do more things with the home screen(more colors configurations mainly), but I'd join you in nerd rage if a multi-colored home screen was foisted upon us as the new WP8 standard. No matter what aesthetic options or lack of options they bring, I'm far more interested in how they nail or fail efforts to melt away barriers to get even more common things done with the phone, things that usually fall within the #smokedbywindowsphone contests. That is one of the things I love about WP, it always ends up being very very easy to use on a day to day basis and I would hope they push even more boundaries in that direction.

Whoops, looks like brotkasten won't be replying to any of your posts.

More colors and multi-colored tiles aren't the same thing. It looks bad in windows 8 and I don't like that I can't force one accent color. Instead you have a green store tile, a purple messaging tile, a red photos tile etc.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Using an update to downgrade an app's feature set because you introduced a paid version is an asshole move. MS should have a rule against that.

kur15u

Neo Member
Just got my Lumia 900 in white (UK)

Such a sexy phone - couple of things I have noticed scrolling up and down is much slower on the home screen compared to my HD7 so I assume that's the 7.5 refresh at work. Also the list of Apps no longer has the option to push a letter to go different letters, have they removed that function in the refresh or is it now an option that I have to enable?

Sound and screen are so much better on the 900 than the HD7 and loving the Nokia apps, I have had a WP7 since release in the UK but I have to say that going forward really looks like Nokia are going to be the phones to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom