• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milchjon

Surely this dude must have worked on something other than Photosynth and Bing maps.

Photosynth is really not that great and Bing maps are good but hardly revolutionary.

Dunno. Back when Photosynth first came out on iPhone, it was pretty impressive. And the new Beta stuff on W8 looks great, too.

But I think the key reason why this is a thread isn't that he's such an exceptional programmer, it's that it fits the MS is doomed narrative.

hadareud

The Translator
I haven't tried the beta yet (takes forever to get approved apparently), but while the original is nifty and fun, it's not that good.

Low res, there's stitching errors even when the subject is very easy to stitch etc.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Dunno. Back when Photosynth first came out on iPhone, it was pretty impressive. And the new Beta stuff on W8 looks great, too.

But I think the key reason why this is a thread isn't that he's such an exceptional programmer, it's that it fits the MS is doomed narrative.

Almost every MS thread is painful to read in the OT. So much salt in that WP9 thread.

hadareud

The Translator
Swiping down from the top?

The thieves.

edit: VPN :bow

That's such a basic feature that I'd forgotten it was missing, despite using it on all my other devices on a daily basis

edit again: apps separated out from the OS. I think I just heard Brot faint.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Here is the breakdown:

- Notification Centre->swipe down from the top of the screen
- Quick Settings->short swipe from the top, more volume controls
- Cortana Personal Assistant ala Google Now/Siri
- VPN Support
- Xbox Music & Video now separate apps. Possibly other built in apps as well
- Even deeper Facebook/Twitter integration in the People Hub
- Bing Smart Seach
- Features revealed at Build in April

kharma45

April is so long away.

I hope Nokia don't go virtual buttons with both handsets :( just release the 929 worldwide and that'll be me happy.

Here is the breakdown:

- VPN Support
- Bing Smart Seach

Oh shit, dawg.

I hope the "deeper" Facebook integration means they have more access to the API/can bypass the privacy settings that prevent ALL FB updates from appearing in the People hub.

kharma45

If it's being announced in April God only knows when it'll actually release.

It'll be up against new versions of iOS and Android too won't it?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I haven't tried the beta yet (takes forever to get approved apparently), but while the original is nifty and fun, it's not that good.

Low res, there's stitching errors even when the subject is very easy to stitch etc.

Yep, photosynth was cool when it came out, but it just hasn't progressed and the terrible stitching and quality means I don't use it anymore.

Kids Corner 2.0 takes time.

I'm buying a new phone next year that will come with the update, so I'm not worried about update schedules, but the two new devices hinted at in the Verge article from Nokia seem really boring. I hope the 1020 successor comes out next summer or early fall.

PG2G

If it's being announced in April God only knows when it'll actually release.

It'll be up against new versions of iOS and Android too won't it?

I could see it going up against the next Android. The last version of iOS didn't come out til like September/October of I remember correctly.

I'll be kind of upset if 8.1 isn't out by end of May.

Yep, photosynth was cool when it came out, but it just hasn't progressed and the terrible stitching and quality means I don't use it anymore.

I'm buying a new phone next year that will come with the update, so I'm not worried about update schedules, but the two new devices hinted at in the Verge article from Nokia seem really boring. I hope the 1020 successor comes out next summer or early fall.
Pureview 3.0. 94MP camera.

Here is the breakdown:

- VPN Support
- Bing Smart Seach
Finally! Its happening! Really solid update all around it seems though.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I could see it going up against the next Android. The last version of iOS didn't come out til like September/October of I remember correctly.

I'll be kind of upset if 8.1 isn't out by end of May.

They a saving WP9 for Sept/October, :lol

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Some other stuff from WPC

Other features Windows Phone Central can exclusively reveal that are either coming to Windows Phone 8.1 or that are actively being worked on including micro SD card support for installing apps and games. This feature is especially important for low-cost devices, like the Lumia 520, where internal storage is limited to just 8 GB (and less than 5 GB actually available).

In terms of the notification center, we can reveal that they work even on the Lockscreen. The Lockscreen can still be swiped up like normal to unlock the phone, but in Windows Phone 8.1 you can also swipe down to go directly to the new Notification Center.

The default camera app is also being updated, with buttons and functions similar to the Windows 8.1 camera app, though these will be located on the left side of the viewfinder.

First-party Tiles, like Email, can be swiped towards the left to clear the Live Tile of notifications/counts. Currently, users can swipe to the Right to bring up the full app list for the OS, but swiping left will clear any Tiles without the user having to open the program directly in 8.1. As of now, this feature is only open to first-party functions like Email and the People Hub, though presumably Microsoft could open it up to developers via an API.

‘Cortana’ voice assistant is very contextual, meaning it will be woven throughout the OS and it will work based on information on-screen. For example, say a text message is sent that states "Want to get dinner tomorrow in New York?" you'll see parts of that text message underlined. Click that and you'll be able to instantly enter the info into your calendar with some of those fields already populated. So it would fill "New York" as the location. If the message had the time it will already have the time in there as well.

Ghost notifications, we’ve previously mentioned in an earlier article. How they work is that for something like a "Like" on Facebook or a "favorite" on Twitter don't warrant a full Toast notification, alerting the user. Instead, ghost notifications just go straight to the Notification Center and don't overtly notify you. This feature will be open to developers, we are told.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Frankly, these are all catch up features and things we knew were coming. Now, I'm not complaining, since I prefer the platform and hope to continue using it next year, but I do hope there are some surprises and things that have not already debuted on other platforms. I know it's getting harder since we are reaching maturity in this market, but it would be nice to be blown away or surprised. And yes, a feature like kids corner would count.

hwalker84

Frankly, these are all catch up features and things we knew were coming. Now, I'm not complaining, since I prefer the platform and hope to continue using it next year, but I do hope there are some surprises and things that have not already debuted on other platforms. I know it's getting harder since we are reaching maturity in this market, but it would be nice to be blown away or surprised. And yes, a feature like kids corner would count.

Yep I feel the same way. Everything here is catch up features. What's the next thing Google and Apple will debut that Microsoft has to catch up to? Hopefully 8.1 brings a massive amount of features and features that other platforms don't have.

KageMaru

As I mentioned elsewhere I was confusing the Pro 2's specs with the Surface 2(ARM) for some bizarre reason. Exams and lack sleep get to you :p No need to be rude in any case, or if you're going to be rude at least bother to sarcastically reveal the great knowledge you process.

And given there barely any RT devices on the market it doesn't seem like it will be around for much longer as is. I was just asking if the 2520 would get upgraded to their next tablet OS, aren't they supposed to combine the Windows Phone/Metro App stores? And if they do that would no longer be RT as it stands which is all I meant.

I'm sure this wouldn't be easy but I would hope if they plan to expand the current WP OS to support tablets, they group all the apps in one store. It would be nice if the store recognizes your device and filters what apps appear appropriately.

The current WP store already kind of works this way by notifying you that your device doesn't support the app you're currently looking at.

Here is the breakdown:

- VPN Support
- Bing Smart Seach

Great news all around. Especially happy with the notification center part. IIRC earlier rumors indicated this would be handled by a tile.

Hope the reveal shows more than the OS just playing catch up to the other platforms. With how slow MS is to update and move, they really need to innovate with this update.

PG2G

I don't really mind "catch up" updates. Mobile OSes are a lot more mature now and there really isn't that much innovation anymore (as can be seen from the last couple iterations of iOS and Android).

If they can address all of the core functionality gaps and improve the APIs to the point where we won't be saying "this is possible on iOS, but not on WP because the API doesn't allow it" then I'll be okay.

Soo, I'm working on my app... I make a change to the UI and go to check landscape view, and I think my accelerometer isn't working. Double checked it using the Level and compass tool in Jack of Tools pro and the bubbles in Level wont move and compass jumps only on 30* intervals.

Funn :\

Edit: Soft reset 5 times and its not back, thinking of trying a hard reset but I reallly dont want to and I'm not sure it would even help.

MCD

I love the bit where we can swipe on the app tile itself to clear notifications. DAT OCD level of attention.

PG2G

Finally, news!

What I really want is third-party People Hub integration, Kik, Whatsapp, etc

Yeah, that's what I've always wanted too. I always felt like they never really lived up to the hub promise because they didn't open them up enough to developers.

Something like Instagram should be able to integrate into the Pictures Hub pretty cleanly.

Been playing with the Nokia Camera Beta on the 820. It takes nice photos, and briefly before it finalizes the picture looks good, right up until it applies some sort of gross green tint to the image.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm having an astonishingly bad user experience with Xbox one. Game install is stuck at 1%, there is no way to just pop in the disc and play? Is there any way to unstick the install? How do I update the OS? My nephew has the day one update, but i thought i read there was another one. Waking the Xbox from sleep doesn't work even though it's enabled in the settings. I don't feel safe posting in the gaming side, sorry.

So many questions for the folks who designed this thing. I bet this worked great in the Redmond offices on 100mbps internet.

Milchjon

Game installs seem to only increase the percentage after they installed (potentially big) patches. Thought it would be stuck at 0% then, though, so I dunno.

Xbox On seems to be tricky to get to work. I assume the speech recognition works slightly different in a low power state, because that one also only works in 3 languages.

Don't own one myself though. Just what I gathered from skimming the launch thread.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm having an astonishingly bad user experience with Xbox one. Game install is stuck at 1%, there is no way to just pop in the disc and play? Is there any way to unstick the install? How do I update the OS? My nephew has the day one update, but i thought i read there was another one. Waking the Xbox from sleep doesn't work even though it's enabled in the settings. I don't feel safe posting in the gaming side, sorry.

So many questions for the folks who designed this thing. I bet this worked great in the Redmond offices on 100mbps internet.

Maybe use it in power saver for now. Usually with a game install it will download the patch (if there is one first). Both next gen systems need game installs (granted PS4 is faster with installs). Sure it could be faster, but I think waiting for it to install is far from a game breaker (maybe I'm too patient?). If you press the menu button over the game, I think you can cancel the install.

Not sure about the update after the day 1, he should have it by now. If you got the settings, system, and console version it should have a 7 in the OS number.

Magni

contact tile is fine but keep messaging off my people hub feed.

Okaayy... I don't get any FB or Skype or LinkedIn or whatever private messages in my People Hub feed now, not sure why you would think Whatsapp and Kik would display your messages there.

I want to be able to read an incoming Whatsapp on a contact tile, and open my chat with that contact straight from the tile. When I was talking about People Hub, I was more talking about the contact list than the news feed.

You can press the menu button to access option for installing. Many of the games require day one update so I don't know if popping the disc in will work. I think the only way for it not to try to install update is to disconnect it from the internet. Also unlike PS4, it take a long time before you can start playing. (PS4 take very little time before you can start playing). It's like Xbox team just copy everything that is bad about PS3 and then put in in Xbox One, while Sony did the opposite. OS has a lot of bugs and glitches (hmm...just like Windows Phone 8, I hope this is not a pattern) and you have to occasionally reboot the system.

I used to have hard time waking up Xbox from sleep using Xbox On but I found out that it is just very particular about how you say it... you have to say Xbox and pause just long enough and say On.

I love the Xbox One especially for voice control and TV integration but the OS feel unfinished. I also had PS4 (sold to a friend at work), the PS4 OS is pretty plain and boring but it is fast, especially for booting, loading games and installing.

Apps also very buggy, Amazon apps, would constantly pause and loose sounds, I don't know really what happen with Microsoft Xbox team, Sony not only have better hardware but also better software. That said, obviously I still prefer Xbox One because of the games on it so that's the one I keep.

PG2G

Microsoft bit off a bit more than they could chew and just couldn't finish up. Think the installation issues are a relic of the whole 180 thing, hopefully the work on improving it. Its got good ideas, they just need to keep the updates coming.

Hoping that we'll be seeing Cortana for Xbox One at BUILD too :p And a real app store.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Thanks for the help guys, the install unstuck itself while I was putting my son to sleep. Multi gig date to play any games at all, 6gb update plus install to play forza, 1gb plus update plus install to play COD. There isn't any way to spin it, its just unfinished. By the time I'm ready to buy one about a year from now, I figure it won't be this horrible an experience out of the box, cause you an see a lot of promise. Too bad.

At least for windows phone, they nailed the user experience out of the box. I can see why they put a windows phone guy in charge, my surface rt was also a mess until I was able to download the various patches and of course the glorious 8.1 update.

hwalker84

A few things.

1: You can check the console version in settings
2: I believe the Xbox downloads the update prior to starting the disk copy. Just wait

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
A few things.

1: You can check the console version in settings
2: I believe the Xbox downloads the update prior to starting the disk copy. Just wait

edit: nevermind, I don't want to go too far off topic, I already got the help I needed. Thanks again, guys!

It all sounds good except for the possibility that the update won't be coming in the spring.

Hopefully given the timing, BUILD will be a "here's WP 8.1 and the spring update to Windows 8.1. Download them now."

Shut up I know it won't happen :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom