• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xbox Music doesn't support radio. No, I'm talking about real radio. FM Radio. What the hell, guys. This is useless to me.

And where the hell are the podcasts?

I don't think there is on any platform that Xbox Music is on, which begs the question about what their plans are going forward for podcasts.

I downloaded the two apps, does the music app allow you to play from a local collection or just your could synced collection?

Yeah, same--it would be weird if they completely dropped podcast support, though I suppose I could solely use Podcast Lounge.

WP Central's article said the app can utilize your local collection. Haven't played with it enough myself to check.

Nero3000

Faster updates independent of firmware upgrades. This is a MUCH better solution and needs to be used for all first party apps.

Yes but does it not break the store linkage?

e.g. if I use bing music search to id a song, then get taken to the market place does the new app add that song to my cloud collection?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Xbox music is good for my wife. She only streams and sometimes downloads, but she doesn't listen to podcasts cause she is not a weird nerd. I need podcasts and radio, so I'll stick to the regular app. I already create and edit my playlists on one of three windows 8 devices, so I don't manage them on my phone.

PG2G

The built in podcast stuff has been a joke for the longest time, you guys should be using an app by now.

PG2G

Yes but does it not break the store linkage?

e.g. if I use bing music search to id a song, then get taken to the market place does the new app add that song to my cloud collection?

Think its safe to say that whatever weird kinks this brings will not matter much in the long run as this will replace the standard application come 8.1.

It is important for them to be able to quickly update this like they have on Windows 8.

hwalker84

So. Where did all my album covers go? Looks like it needs to find the album in the cloud for it to sync the cover... Sigh. I just don't understand what Microsoft wants from my music? Everything I have is meticulously organized and should be easily found by any music software. Now 60% of my music is without a album cover.

PG2G

How so? Built-in works just as I'd want it to and anytime I don't need another app to do something is better in my opinion.

I remember back when I used it did a terrible job of detecting and downloading new podcasts. It is also limited to podcasts in the store where any of the apps have more up to date databases and let you subscribe using an RSS feed.

ElNino

How so? Built-in works just as I'd want it to and anytime I don't need another app to do something is better in my opinion.
If you live in the US. ;-)

Those of us who live in "Tier 2" countries need to rely on other apps... thankfully Podcast Lounge is fantastic.

kharma45

The built in podcast stuff has been a joke for the longest time, you guys should be using an app by now.

I am but then there is this issue

jbmz16TpdaTp3Z.jpg

That is with zero podcasts being stored offline. As to why it happens according to the Podcast Lounge devs

This area is still under some investigation, however preliminary tests suggest this is caused by the way the Windows Phone operating system caches downloaded files. We use standard Microsoft Windows Phone APIs to perform downloads within Podcast Lounge. In order to minimise data usage/bandwidth, the operating system will cache files it downloads and saves them in case the app requests the same file again. This works great for a website JPG which is unlikely to change; Request the JPG a second time and the phone very efficiently serves up the cached copy.

When Podcast Lounge downloads a podcast, it gets downloaded into Isolated Storage. This is a special area that we have full access to. When you play your downloaded podcast, we point the phone’s media player to the downloaded file and everything works as expected. However the downloaded podcast appears also to be saved to another storage area, linked to the app, but one that is inaccessible programmatically using the standard phone API available to 3rd party developers.

What we think happens is that the phone is caching a “ghost” copy of every podcast downloaded and is not doing a particularly good job of removing the cached files after a period of time. The result is storage check in Podcast Lounge’s settings (which only reports what’s in Isolated Storage) says one figure and a system-wide storage check app reports a much bigger figure.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
If you live in the US. ;-)

Those of us who live in "Tier 2" countries need to rely on other apps... thankfully Podcast Lounge is fantastic.

Why don't you just move to the US, then?

I'm hoping for a separate podcasts app from MS. But only if they are going to be updating it regularly. The third party apps I tried were all flaky and crappy.

PG2G

Wonder if that is one of the 'other storage' issues that was supposed to be fixed in GDR2. I vaguely remember GDR2 is supposed to automatically clear that stuff out when it needs to.

Awesome! Now it looks like all thats needed for them to remove the OS version is to add a "Music Hub" and a "Video Hub" to their respective apps, throw a live tile in, allow local videos from the Video app and FM Radio in the Music App... Also piggy back off of the Phones Logged in account to automatically log you into the apps.

Is there no way to manage/view podcasts in Xbox Music?
One miracle at a time

hadareud

The Translator
I'm not sure that it was actually fixed.

My other storage is almost 4 gig, and it only goes up, never down.

It would probably be replaced with actual data if you really filled up your phone, but it's still annoying.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I have to clean out the ol' fridge. I have just 2gb left out of 32gb. I shot a graduation video this past weekend and that swallowed up like 4 gigs.

KageMaru

Disappointed that Xbox music requires a subscription just to access my local music. Looks like I'm not retiring the music+videos app just yet.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Disappointed that Xbox music requires a subscription just to access my local music. Looks like I'm not retiring the music+videos app just yet.

It's meant for subscribers to the service. The same with the IOS and android app.

edit: that ad is awful

PG2G

Wouldn't be surprised if layer versions of the Xbox Music app dont require a Pass. The app is still very beta feeling to me, lots of crashes and what not.

Performance also kinda sucks, seeing way too many items listed as "Loading..." when going through the list of artists, even for local content.

Milchjon

Okay, just thought I'd bite the bullet and pay 18 bucks for Fast & Furious 6.

Well, I only have the 20 gig HDD on my 360, which of course is pretty much full. Which wouldn't be a problem if I could simply stream that shit. But yay, even though you're paying way too much money to buy that shit, you can't stream (or download) the movie after April 2014. So not only would I pay more than for a disc, it's also little more than an extended rent of the movie.

Fucking thing sucks.

Fake edit: Trying to buy it on the phone, the app first failed when it tried to convert my MS points into money. After I did that on my 360, it now wants me to add a credit card. Are you telling me this thing is too crappy to access the data from my account where I've had a card forever?

I'm out.

Okay, just thought I'd bite the bullet and pay 18 bucks for Fast & Furious 6.

Well, I only have the 20 gig HDD on my 360, which of course is pretty much full. Which wouldn't be a problem if I could simply stream that shit. But yay, even though you're paying way too much money to buy that shit, you can't stream (or download) the movie after April 2014. So not only would I pay more than for a disc, it's also little more than an extended rent of the movie.

Fucking thing sucks.

Fake edit: Trying to buy it on the phone, the app first failed when it tried to convert my MS points into money. After I did that on my 360, it now wants me to add a credit card. Are you telling me this thing is too crappy to access the data from my account where I've had a card forever?

I'm out.
amazing how much things have regressed from Zune

Ultraviolet using the Flixster app works good but far from perfect. Let's you download for offline play but only in SD. Also, streaming in HD seams to only work for more recent movies. If the movie has been out for a while, HD streaming is removed.

WTF, I legally own my movies but the lack of HD download and stream options make me wanna pirate shit instead.

JaggedSac

Definitely needs work. Awesome that my wife could use my pass offline if she were to get a WP though

Hows that?

And to the dude a couple of posts up, why does your movie purchase expire after April 2014? I purchased The Fugitive(my one and only video purchase,lol) like 5 years ago and it still shows up in my library. I can stream it too.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I think Major Nelson really wanted an iPhone... (his is the 1020)

477160_800wc.jpg

I commented on his start screen, :lol

Also made me think of an iPhone.

edit:

Hows that?

And to the dude a couple of posts up, why does your movie purchase expire after April 2014? I purchased The Fugitive(my one and only video purchase,lol) like 5 years ago and it still shows up in my library. I can stream it too.

I think because you enter you account info again, unlike Xbox Music in the Hub which is tied to you live account on the phone setup.

Milchjon

Says so when you wanna buy it in Xbox Video on the 360.

I commented on his start screen, :lol

Also made me think of an iPhone.

Well, your tweet actually alerted me to this crime ;-)

Milchjon

MS' incompetence just made me buy a DVD for the first time in years.

And it was cheaper and comes with extras.

WHY DON'T YOU WANT MY MONEY, JOE?????

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So with Xbox Music the first time you play an album it will not show the album art if you are not connected to WiFi/Cell Data. Once you play an album with data the next time play it with WiFi data off the album cover/artist image should be there.

edit: how does it work when buying movies from iTunes?? I think some movies differ as well. I got Iron Man 3 with extras.

KageMaru

It's meant for subscribers to the service. The same with the IOS and android app.

edit: that ad is awful

Well that's not made immediately apparent or I missed something.

I thought this was a replacement to the older music+videos app with the benefit of receiving regular updates not associated with the OS.

PG2G

Well that's not made immediately apparent or I missed something.

I thought this was a replacement to the older music+videos app with the benefit of receiving regular updates not associated with the OS.

I think it is, just like Xbox Music on Windows 8 is supposed to serve both roles. Perhaps the fact that it is a preview means they want to limit the number of people using it?

what do you need help with?
LifeLogger
Beta, and there's some design/animation fixes coming soon. Plus there's a concurrency issue that needs solving that can crash the app near its launch, but that should be a fairly simple fix....just need to make sure I squash it :)

what do you need help with?
Hopefully this makes sense... In the calculator for example, if you keep typing numbers once the the characters reach the width of the screen they scale down in size to fit the next character in. I want to do something similar and I'm guessing there's a means to do so. The only way I could think of doing it was to make the font manually smaller as my text got longer, but that resulted -- as you'd well imagine -- in the text also moving upward in the text box so as to allow more test to fit underneath.

LifeLogger
Beta, and there's some design/animation fixes coming soon. Plus there's a concurrency issue that needs solving that can crash the app near its launch, but that should be a fairly simple fix....just need to make sure I squash it :)
Nice, I'll take a look!

Is everyone in here developing apps?

I need to get on this train.
I'm an SE student looking for a placement, so I'm trying to make something over my time off. Something for the CV.

Hopefully this makes sense... In the calculator for example, if you keep typing numbers once the the characters reach the width of the screen they scale down in size to fit the next character in. I want to do something similar and I'm guessing there's a means to do so. The only way I could think of doing it was to make the font manually smaller as my text got longer, but that resulted -- as you'd well imagine -- in the text also moving upward in the text box so as to allow more test to fit underneath.

Nice, I'll take a look!

A quick guess:

<TextBox x:Name="CalculatorInputBox"
TextInput="CalculatorInputBox_TextInput"
Height="80"
TextWrapping="NoWrap"
Width="450"
AcceptsReturn="False"
VerticalContentAlignment="Bottom"
HorizontalContentAlignment="Right"
MaxWidth="450"
MaxHeight="80"
InputScope="Number"
AllowDrop="True"
>
</TextBox>
You'd replace TextInput with whatever Event is triggered on text change. I'm not sure which one it is off-hand without some more investigation

TextWrapping is what prevents the text from wrapping around. You'll also want to specify a max Width to ensure the box just doesn't grow larger as you input more text. Using the Horizontal/VertialContentAlignments places the text in the lower portion of the textbox, so that when you resize the text it won't jump vertically around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom