• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winnie the Pooh censored in China (Kingdom Hearts 3)

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
a6669f56c01d64d6fcd150c4ec9973db.jpeg

More here:

No idea if this will actually be like this in the actual game. But holy fuck.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
a6669f56c01d64d6fcd150c4ec9973db.jpeg

More here:

Is really the Flash Light censored?? LOL!! XD

I already know that was because the president, but it not was more easy put a panda or remove the cutscene?

Last edited:

wipeout364

I mean I would ban some dude who walks around all day with no pants on too. Who wants to look at that bear ass all the time.

What in the world could China have against Winnie the Poo?
its because of this.
f2e99e665767ede6b109a4d25ca33b2709ea154e2ed0992d9462c77958a03506.jpg

Yes, if true then it definitely is because of China's "leader" Xi Jinping. Chinese opposed to him and protesting the Chinese government have been using Winnie the Pooh as a cartoonish stand-in for him ever since that meme came out. Xi Jinping has since been banning anything to do with Winnie the Pooh in China.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I looked this up.

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-china-blog-40627855

"Here the president is Mr Grey. He doesn't do silly things; he has no quirky elements; he makes no mistakes and that is why he is above the population and unable to be questioned."

It makes me grateful to live in a country in which the democratic system protects us from that kind of bullshit.

Corrik

It isn't a real censoring. The guy just censored it when he posted the images because he was scared the chinese government could go after him if he didn't censor it.

noqtic

President Xi strikes again, and for those who do not know I think John Oliver summed it up perfectly.

skip to around the 10:50 mark.

DonF

time stamped or you can (and should) watch the whole thing.

tldw, chinas president is offended by winnie the poh

This is not censorship.
The gaming news website who posted this did this out of their own free will. There was nothing preventing them from trying to post the unmodified image (and suffer consequences, but that doesn't change anything, because freedom of speech isn't freedom from consequences) +゚*。:゚+(◕‿◕✿)+゚*。:゚+

In fact this is so funny .。・:*:・(✿◕◞౪◟ ◕)(◕ε◕✿)ノ✿ ・:*:・。.
I laughed at this, it's an enhancement from how shitty the game's story is (as a KH fan who totally played all two games in the series already released, fuck Nomura and his shitty writing and this shitty series), and it is absolutely a shame that Square Enix didn't replace [the mysterious character] with a light halo in the actual game (preferably with the legs hidden as is the expectation from a professional company) in all versions of the game so everyone could enjoy this localization improvement that makes this game safe and welcoming for everybody.

Calling this "censorship" devalues the meaning of the word that should be used rightfully only when localization editors are denied the right to add political commentary to games that didn't originally have them. (✿ ͡◕ ᴗ◕)つ━━✫・*。

Last edited:
Why not just not post the screenshots with winnie the poo? isn't that asking for controversy/publicity ?
It's not like Chinese users didn't try, but anyone who did had their posts and accounts banned over this after tripping a political word filter introduced after a certain political meme. Now this Chinese website is forced to cover up the character, and refer to the world as "one mysterious world", but I doubt this will save them.

^yeah, I was about to say.... this is not the game being censored in a Chinese version, right?

it's a website with a Chinese audience censoring images of non-Chinese versions of the game (which is why the 'censoring' is just bright light).

i mean, were there a localized version of the game they would censor it but they'd like do a different (better) job lol.

just reading this and a few other places it seems like folks are getting the impression this is from the game -- it's just a PS by someone

Z..

Give me examples of censorship in the USA that gets close to what we see in China. I'll wait.
I don't think his comment was aimed specifically at censorship, more so the idea that the US democratic system is a success in any way, shape or form when it comes to protecting it's citizens. "Better than China" shouldn't be a point of pride.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
More here:

A) That's hilarious

B) Looks like Reddit embeds on GAF dark mode are actually legible now, nice

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I don't think his comment was aimed specifically at censorship, more so the idea that the US democratic system is a success in any way, shape or form when it comes to protecting it's citizens. "Better than China" shouldn't be a point of pride.

We live in a country in which we can challenge the president's actions. Yes, everything could be better, but we also have to appreciate the laws that protect our rights.

Z..

We live in a country in which we can challenge the president's actions. Yes, everything could be better, but we also have to appreciate the laws that protect our rights.

The US doesn't exist in a vacuum, though. Compare your democracy to any other nations' with a high human development index (such as yours) and it is extremely lacking when it comes to protecting the interests of it's own citizens. It is borderline absurd how such a highly developed nation can have such lackluster infrastructures. You are the best at pratically everything yet only abjectly small minorities have access to such a reality where as the vast majority of you is stuck with below average conditions. It baffles me every single day how there aren't mass protests by the tens of millions of you out on the street at this point. You are a great nation and a proud people being gutted and neutered by an inherently broken institution of government, it's a tragedy of epic proportions.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Yep. This is why people born in countries like Iraq laugh at things like Americans comparing Trump to a dictator and throwing their little tantrums.

When you know what real suffering is you don't need to manufacture your own.

I wanted to post something about how i feel about communist and totalitarian regimes. And what i think about western companies licking their boots. But I'll control myself and not do it. Don't want to get banned for it. Self censorship ftw!

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
The saddest thing is there are people in the free world that wants communism voluntarily.

How can someone freely want this?

I should be president, especially of China. If I saw a meme of Pooh and Tigger as Me and Obama, I'd think it was cool and have a national laugh, maybe even a holiday. Our leaders are weird.

Dunki

This is not censorship.
The gaming news website who posted this did this out of their own free will. There was nothing preventing them from trying to post the unmodified image (and suffer consequences, but that doesn't change anything, because freedom of speech isn't freedom from consequences) +゚*。:゚+(◕‿◕✿)+゚*。:゚+

In fact this is so funny .。・:*:・(✿◕◞౪◟ ◕)(◕ε◕✿)ノ✿ ・:*:・。.
I laughed at this, it's an enhancement from how shitty the game's story is (as a KH fan who totally played all two games in the series already released, fuck Nomura and his shitty writing and this shitty series), and it is absolutely a shame that Square Enix didn't replace [the mysterious character] with a light halo in the actual game (preferably with the legs hidden as is the expectation from a professional company) in all versions of the game so everyone could enjoy this localization improvement that makes this game safe and welcoming for everybody.

Calling this "censorship" devalues the meaning of the word that should be used rightfully only when localization editors are denied the right to add political commentary to games that didn't originally have them. (✿ ͡◕ ᴗ◕)つ━━✫・*。

Censorship, the suppression of words, images, or ideas that are "offensive," happens whenever some people succeed in imposing their personal political or moral values on others. Censorship can be carried out by the government as well as private pressure groups. Censorship by the government is unconstitutional.

In contrast, when private individuals or groups organize boycotts against stores that sell magazines of which they disapprove, their actions are protected by the First Amendment, although they can become dangerous in the extreme. Private pressure groups, not the government, promulgated and enforced the infamous Hollywood blacklists during the McCarthy period. But these private censorship campaigns are best countered by groups and individuals speaking out and organizing in defense of the threatened expression.

https://www.aclu.org/other/what-censorship

And while this does nto fall into this category it is still self censorship due to the fear of pressure and backlash

Last edited:

Z..

The saddest thing is there are people in the free world that wants communism voluntarily.

Not a communist myself but don't be disingenuous, this is not representative of communism in the slightest. True communism has never actually existed since it would mandate an essentially selfless head of state and all past or present incarnations of communism in the world had totalitarian leaders. Basically, this right here is the exact opposite of what communism is, by definition. People who want communism want actual communism, not the crap you see before you. Of course, actual communism can never even work unless all participants are willing to participate in it, so communists are shit out of luck, unfortunately. A shame, actually. True marxism would be awesome, if it wasn't completely impossible...

Makariel

True marxism would be awesome, if it wasn't completely impossible...
Marxism was also pretty much a product of its time. It simply doesn't translate all that well into the 21st century, for various reasons, including the simple fact that more and more of the labor in manufacturing is coming from machines rather than humans. The whole concept needs to be revised and updated for struggles of those living today, not the struggles of those living in 19th century Empires of Europe.

WaterAstro

China hasn't been communist economically for a long while, though they still declare themselves so. They have never been communist idealogically as with all other supposed communist nations. They are actually capitalist while maintaining the false communism pretense and the sprinkles of dictatorship that Stalin and Mao implemented in their "communist" regimes. The world has never seen true communism.

And this joke of a censorship is just Xi's dictatorship being pretty obvious. He's pretty much as touchy as Donald Trump but has actual power in his rule.

Akuza89

Well that sucks for China... I suppose they'll just import the game to get the uncensored version.... really weird though.

Top Bottom