• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winning Eleven 8 Xbox: Good news, bad news

WarPig

Good news: it comes out next spring in the U.S. with the PS2 and PC versions.

Bad news: No Xbox Live support.

DFS.

Spike

Guess I'll stick with the PS2 version then. I'm used to the controller for it anyways.

-1 Xbox sales
+1 PS2 sales

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Easy there guys, is the euro version region free? A lot of Xbox Live games are region free and can be played on any console. Maybe you can import the PAL disc and enjoy the bliss that is WE8 Live :D

I have my PAL copy, but I don't have an US console to try it.

thorns

Banned
wow, stupid konami.
why remove a feature they already have added?

the incompetence of big japanese companies when it comes to online gaming never ceases to amaze me, while small western companies can deliver flawless online play.

Mrbob

Wait. So the PAL copies have Xbox Live! support? Why strip it out for the NA release? I'm not too big a fan of soccer games, but if I can play it online i would have given it a look.

Socreges

Banned
What the fuck...

Good thing I've been skeptical, but I still kind of tricked myself into expecting it to be online.

-1 Xbox purchase

I'm not too big a fan of soccer games, but if I can play it online i would have given it a look.
It doesn't matter if you don't have any friends. The CPU is quite realistic.

Mrbob

You can only play the CPU for so long before it gets boring. The hard part will being able to find one other person to be interested in a soccer game. I'm not a big fan of playing competitive sports games against the CPU only.

Socreges

Banned
Mrbob said:
You can only play the CPU for so long before it gets boring. The hard part will being able to find one other person to be interested in a soccer game. I'm not a big fan of playing competitive sports games against the CPU only.
Frankly, I was just slamming you for the fact that someone who's "not big on soccer games" would buy the game were it online. I think that's retarded.

Oh, and you haven't played Winning Eleven, so you can't really judge the CPU. Which, in fact, is not boring, unless you've mastered five or six-star difficulty. And that takes a significant amount of time (like, years).

Dave Long

Banned
Does the PS2 WE8 have online play or something? Is this some kind of exclusivity thing? I get the feeling that's what's happening here. Cuz frankly, I wouldn't bother with the PS2 one if it had Live play on Xbox and I've bought both WE6 and WE7 on PS2. There's a real possibility that the entire playerbase would go from one console to the other if Live were in there.

Looks like both come out on the same day too... PS2 and Xbox. So I wouldn't be surprised if they either both are offline or the PS2 one has it.

Mrbob said:

Actually this is not the case with the WE series IMO, because the games are always so varied, but I was really looking forward to getting a Xbox for this game and playing it online because I've played the shit out of every one of them already on the PS2 against the CPU or against friends.

The PC version has online play, but it's supposed to have a really shitty setup.

And the PAL version has already been confirmed to not be region free, sadly.

Socreges

Banned
Mrbob said:
So is the PAL Xbox version region free? Could be one of my first imports in many years if true.
If you can get a PAL game online with a US Xbox, and play Europeans without disruptive lag, you let me know!

Dagon

EA did the exact same thing with Tiger Woods 2005 for Xbox when it came out in Europe. It instantly went from one of my most anticipated games of the year to an afterthought.

Thanks for nothing EA! *spits*

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"But it doesn't look like this is going to happen as the PAL version is not region free."

oh f*cking GREAT. :(

pilonv1

Score one for PAL! The tally now is PAL 3, NTSC 2,708,352.

yodathesoda said:
PAL version has terrible lag anyways.

Hardly. If you expect a lag free game across the world you're bound to be disappointed. I'm having awesome lag free games across Australia though. There's been some minor voice break up but that's it.

Dave Long

Banned
WarPig said:
Nope, that's the even odder part. I don't even think the PC version has it.

DFS.

Wow. So maybe Sony still has their hands in this though? Ask Konami to take out the online play until WE9 when both PS2 and Xbox have it? Stranger things have happened.

Either way, that should've been THE feature in next year's game. I love soccer and Winning Eleven is the pinnacle of videogame soccer without a doubt. It is the game as it should be, but three iterations without adding online when every other sport seems to have it now is just silly.

Top Bottom