• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2012 Anime Thread of Roundcats Up in This

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what's good this season?

Daily Lives of Highschool Boys is funny. Another seems to be moving toward something cool (but hasn't quite gotten there yet). Rinne no Lagrange has potential as does Symphogear for some hot-blooded action staring magical girls/female mech pilots. That's about it.

Not really a very notable season.

Branduil

So would you watch an adaptation of a standard harem series if it were directed by Watanabe? Would you not be at least cautiously optimistic?

This isn't a standard harem series, though, so that's not relevant. There's nothing inherently wrong with a high school setting, and the 1960s Jazz aspect sets it somewhat apart from a typical high school story.

This isn't a standard harem series, though, so that's not relevant. There's nothing inherently wrong with a high school setting, and the 1960s Jazz aspect sets it somewhat apart from a typical high school story.

I'm saying subject matter should come before direction and staff. If that doesn't interest you, it won't matter who is working on it.

I'm not saying it will be bad, but people should keep their expectations in check if they think it will be anything like Watanbe's most popular work. In here, people are a bit more knowledgeable, but I can easily see many people in the thread 7th made being disappointed.

Ok I dropped new prince of tennis. I'm going to try area no kishi, the premise sounds good. Someone told me it has emotion and a good focus on the sport.

Anyone watching?

Steroyd

Can reccomend in good conscience
Natsume
Daily Lives of Highschool Boys
Chihayafuru
Rinne no Lagrange
Nisemonogatari

Still don't know
Knight of the Area
Ano Natsu de Matteru

Haha upon close inspection of the OP, I didn't know the director of Blood C is directing Another, now episode 3 makes more sense.

Haha upon close inspection of the OP, I didn't know the director of Blood C is directing Another, now episode 3 makes more sense.

To be fair, Another is an adaptation rather than an original series like Blood C.

Don't know how faithful it is to the novel and/or manga though. Might start reading the latter. Curious to know if things went down the same way, but I don't really want to spoil myself.

*cringe*

At least they had Usagi Drop and Wandering Son...jesus tapdancing christ...

Those two shows make up for the rest of the crap, as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully, we'll have more than two great shows from the block this year, though.

Ok I dropped new prince of tennis. I'm going to try area no kishi, the premise sounds good. Someone told me it has emotion and a good focus on the sport.

Anyone watching?

I'm enjoying it. I really love the original manga, and I think it's been a solid adaptation so far. That description fits the series pretty well. It's a more grounded take on sports, and focuses a lot on the characters. I hope you enjoy it.

Instro

Rinne no Langrage
Nisemonogatari
Another
Moretsu Pirates
Highschool Boys
Ano Natsu de Matteru

are the ones generating the most interest, and I think are worth checking out at least.

Of course the show of the season is the 2nd half of Chihayafuru which is continuing from last season.

Geneijin

I don't really care what you folks think of Ano Hana but I'm kind of insulted it's being lumped with the likes of [C] and Fractale. I guess general GAF has superior taste than AnimeGAF or something.
Ano Hana had very much suffered similar problems like [C] did actually, even if it was a lack of a clearer focus in different respects.

I'm enjoying it. I really love the original manga, and I think it's been a solid adaptation so far. That description fits the series pretty well. It's a more grounded take on sports, and focuses a lot on the characters. I hope you enjoy it.

Nice, Giant Killing was like and I liked it alot.

Dropped it five minutes into the first episode for the shitty representation of Brazilians.

This is unfortunate but I'll have to see it in context. Thanks for the input

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
This is unfortunate but I'll have to see it in context. Thanks for the input
Let me help.
bCm1t.jpg

Narag

Arjuna 6
I want to fucking punch Tokio.

Glass Fleet 5
Cleo's plan at the beginning was some looney tunes stuff. The fat captain that populated his bridge with his daughters is the best too.

Melody of Oblivion 5
Bocca must have a Kenshiroesque shirt budget. Should probably opt for the wifebeater and save himself the trouble. I'm stunned though at how little happened in the course of three episodes.

Yami 3
Forehead jokes? Thank goodness Lilith said what I was thinking. Also the second half of this ep was wtf.

cajunator

Banned
Really now?

Whats wrong with it?
Im not complaining about how anime depicts the chinese.
They are much more stereotyped than this, which just looks like a typical group of south american soccer fans.
I dont see the "hate".

Look ill put it another way.
Draw a group of Brazilians.
People have to recognize that they are brazilians as a requirement.
Keep in mind most people dont know about brazilian customs or traditions.

Does a fifteen second crowd scene that's relatively unimportant to the actual story really need this much attention? Pretty much everyone looks the same in most anime crowd scenes, regardless of what country they're from.

Geneijin

I'm saying subject matter should come before direction and staff. If that doesn't interest you, it won't matter who is working on it.

I'm not saying it will be bad, but people should keep their expectations in check if they think it will be anything like Watanbe's most popular work. In here, people are a bit more knowledgeable, but I can easily see many people in the thread 7th made being disappointed.
The trailer is immensely promising even if the premise isn't as noteworthy as the staff involved.

Ezalc

Look ill put it another way.
Draw a group of Brazilians.
People have to recognize that they are brazilians as a requirement.
Keep in mind most people dont know about brazilian customs or traditions.

Want to have them be recognized as any country? In a sports anime it's easy, make the people cheering wear the jersey of the team. It's effective and it doesn't involve blatant stereotyping like how they handled it in this anime.

Does a fifteen second crowd scene that's relatively unimportant to the actual story really need this much attention? Pretty much everyone looks the same in most anime crowd scenes, regardless of what country they're from.

To me it does. It's my country and its' people were depicted in a completely incorrect and ignorant way. I'm not saying this anime is the devil it just bothered me since this is the image people tend to have of my country and it would have been nice to be shown something other than the stereotypes people associate with it. To me it was on the same level as Speedy Gonzales' representation of Mexicans.

cajunator

Banned
Want to have them be recognized as any country? In a sports anime it's easy, make the people cheering wear the jersey of the team. It's effective and it doesn't involve blatant stereotyping like how they handled it in this anime.

They have a jersey on, the flag , and vuvuzelas.
Im not seeing the problem here.
Anime stereotypes everything.
It is the most stereotypical targeted media available.

Anyway chill out dude.
Americans are depicted far worse.
And every russian is an assassin.

Ezalc

They have a jersey on, the flag , and vuvuzelas.
Im not seeing the problem here.
Anime stereotypes everything.
It is the most stereotypical targeted media available.

The problem with is that everybody shown on the audience is black or tanned and I think like all of the team is as well with the exception of 1 guy. I'm not going to say that there are no black/tanned people in Brazil, but they aren't the only ones. Most of the south of the country is of European and SURPRISE Japanese ancestry. I find it an inappropriate portrayal, it's like I said before it'd be the same as me going around and showing a picture of some overweight man with the US flag tied around his neck as a cape holding two guns and telling people that's how Americans are.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Phi Brain 16:

A Gammon centered episode as he's growing increasingly frustrated with his inability to compete with Kaito/Orpheus. His character is weird for me, his flits between being fucking annoying and surprisingly earnest. The puzzle and it's solution were at least semi-interesting.

Next week it looks like they tackle the puzzle that
killed Kaito's parents.
Saw it coming, just wasn't expecting it so soon.

trejo

So, anyway...

Thermae Romae V

Have I mentioned how well implemented the music is in this? Because boy do I like the way the music is implemented in this. The ED has also really grown on me.

Branduil

The problem with is that everybody shown on the audience is black or tanned and I think like all of the team is as well with the exception of 1 guy. I'm not going to say that there are no black/tanned people in Brazil, but they aren't the only ones. Most of the south of the country is of European and SURPRISE Japanese ancestry. I find it an inappropriate portrayal, it's like I said before it'd be the same as me going around and showing a picture of some overweight man with the US flag tied around his neck as a cape holding two guns and telling people that's how Americans are.

None of the Brazilians in that image look out of shape, or are wielding weapons, so I'm not sure that's a good comparison.

So you're mainly upset because they aren't diverse enough?

cajunator

Banned

Dude youre talking about a medium that still depicts people with blackfaces.

Let me ask you.
What do you think of when I say Louisiana or Cajun?
What about New Orleans.

sonicmj1

Have you seen Dan Eagleman in Guilty Crown?

Dude may as well have an American flag tied around his neck.

Ezalc

None of the Brazilians in that image look out of shape, or are wielding weapons, so I'm not sure that's a good comparison.

C'mon now.
So you're mainly upset because they aren't diverse enough?

Yes.

Have you seen Dan Eagleman in Guilty Crown?

Dude may as well have an American flag tied around his neck.

Ew man Guilty Crown.

Dude youre talking about a medium that still depicts people with blackfaces.

Let me ask you.
What do you think of when I say Louisiana or Cajun?
What about New Orleans.

The whole blackface is a thing in Japan though isn't it? Sure it's insensitive, but isn't it a niche in Japanese culture?

As for your questions I'm sure my answers will be ignorant and completely miss the point but if I was asked in public I would respond: The blues, an accent I'm not fond of, of course there's Mardi Gras, French influences in architecture, cuisine and culture. This would change however if I was working on a professional production, I would try and research about it so that I don't offend people with my work.

Ezalc

Second world problems.jpg

The term second world is no longer used. Second world used to refer to the communist Soviet Union, since it no longer exists the expression's original meaning also should have disappeared but people continue to use it ignorantly. The correct term for Brazil is, IIRC, developing country.

Fake edit: As of 2011 Brazil is known as a Newly Industrialized Country.

To be fair, Another is an adaptation rather than an original series like Blood C.

Don't know how faithful it is to the novel and/or manga though. Might start reading the latter. Curious to know if things went down the same way, but I don't really want to spoil myself.

So far until episode 3 it has been reasonably faithful given the anime's abbreviated planned 12 episodes run.

Phi Brain 16:

A Gammon centered episode as he's growing increasingly frustrated with his inability to compete with Kaito/Orpheus. His character is weird for me, his flits between being fucking annoying and surprisingly earnest. The puzzle and it's solution were at least semi-interesting.

Next week it looks like they tackle the puzzle that
killed Kaito's parents.
Saw it coming, just wasn't expecting it so soon.

I have a feeling
that the headmaster is his dad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom