• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

http://animatorexpo.com/news/39

ZAKk8aS.jpg

This week's Animator Expo is a kaiju short by the director of Time of Eve and Patema Inverted! Can't wait for Friday. :D

Planning/Director/Script: Yasuhiro Yoshiura
Planning/Kaiju and Mecha Design: Yuji Kaneko
Character Design: Kengo Saito
Animation Production: Studio Rikka/Trigger

Sengoku Musou: Samurai Warriors Episode 1

This episode jumps all over the place, made it a little hard to follow, even after watching the OVA that came with my PS4 SW4.

Animation is decent, the girls like Ina-hime, Kunoichi, Kai and especially Nene are all gorgeous.

Music is something that stands out, just as it does in the game. Hell of an opening, and a super traditional Japanese ED theme. Will continue watching.

fertygo

Yuri Kuma - 04

Ikuhara is so good at combining skit and dramatic story like this.. the result may not always satisfying, but damn if his style not always charming and please me.

Haikyuu!! - 07

The show does a pretty fantastic job of making these little individual moments really endearing. Like going from the last episode and the introduction of the real setter on the opposing team you'd expect the focus to be pretty much entirely on Kageyama's senpai and their relationship. Instead though it takes the time to loop back to the dude's former teammate from middle school and solidify both their on going rivalry and the tangible shift in attitude that Kageyama's had in the last few episodes. It's definitely a nice touch and, so far at least, I almost feel like there isn't much in the way of side characters in this narrative, they all seem to have a role to play in the greater development of the team as actual people in this show.

DiGiKerot

I like Momo, though it's a little uneventful in terms of it's narrative, and has about seventeen fake-out endings. Has wonderful character animation.

Short Peace has the same problems as a lot of these anthology movies - there's a couple of really great instalments in there, and a couple which are rather less so. It's heavy on CG and digital animation techniques, though, so if that stuff bugs you, maybe give it a miss.

Moyashimon and Moyashimon Returns

Watching this gave me a warm happy feeling inside. Also don't get why Returns was seen as weaker.

And then I read there was no chance of a third season...............

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Log Horizon Season 2 Ep. 8-present

My wife could not stop laughing when I reminded her the one guy's name is "William Massachusetts" and she didn't seem terribly impressed by an entire episode dedicated to proving that raid leaders are huge nerds with no friends. But I'm glad we're back on the Junior Team because interestingly enough, in a series full of mostly older characters' doing political shit, the younger kids are actually pretty well rounded and interesting.

(Although if Akatsuki's super self-conscious about being super little, why didn't she just make herself not little? She probably would have gotten used to it, although in retrospect, I suppose she probably wasn't aware it was a long term problem)

Narag

After reading this post, I think that Ange would really need to become the female character of the year in order to make me consider giving the show another chance.

And I say this as someone who typically has had little or no problem appreciating the stronger elements of the crazy mecha shows made by Sunrise and other companies. The problem is, Cross Ange would have to climb up a freaking mountain when so little of what it is doing intersects with either my personal or intellectual interests right now, let alone my tolerance level for the things that do nothing but tell me to stay away at a safe distance. It's really too much of a risk that I'm not willing to take this time around.

I really don't think it's the sort of show that deserves a second chance from what I've seen. If you didn't stick with it, it was probably for good reason and just because someone sees something interesting in it, it does't mean it's worth gambling time if you had things you'd rather watch or do, ~chu.

Upotte 03

If they cut out every scene with one of the girls this would be a better show. This is boring and awful.

Sako and Galil arrive next ep to save the show, ~chu.

Durarara x2 3

This is.. watchable. But not by a lot, mind you. The most interesting part is the pure exercise of how the story is pieced together by different characters having a part here and there and the time jumping back and forth, but I'm not a fan of the story or the characters themselves.

Also, what's the deal with he proportions here

Yuri Kuma 4

Finally, a good episode. One which explains stuff, and that it has a more or less normal story (with nice comedic timing, btw) with understandable elements of love and regret. Thanks god, because if I would had another ep like the first three I would have dropped it.

Maria the Virgin Witch 3

I think this improved a bit in the third episode, I didn't laugh but at least I smiled more with the jokes, the plot has complicated with Michael's "curse" and the old god? observation was interesting.

ZAKk8aS.jpg

This week's Animator Expo is a kaiju short by the director of Time of Eve and Patema Inverted! Can't wait for Friday. :D

This looks/sounds awesome. Friday can't come soon enough.

Also, what's the deal with he proportions here

Those are some CLAMP level legs.

cajunator

Banned
Sölf;149172860 said:
Aldnoah.Zero EP 15
Uhm, well. All according to Keikaku, I guess. Wat.

There is no keikaku only Zool

Koufuku Graffiti is seriously the best moment of my week right now. Like Non Non Biyori and Sakura Trick were during their seaons.

I'm only watching Yowapeda, Stardust Crusaders, DurararaX2 and Koufuku Graffiti this season though, since I'm rewatching Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and catching up on my backlog.

EDIT: We also had Mikakunin de Shinkoukei during Sakura's Trick season :O

I loved it so much, I still use the opening as my Left 4 Dead 2 title screen, haha.

I hope there will always be at least one happy soulfood show per season. It has been a great run lately.

And then you noticed it's DVD.

It doesnt matter. Any copy of NNB is good!
You cant lose!

Hm... I dunno about that ;P

Worst girl

Mikey Mikey....
We will just have to disagree on this one.

Jarmel

Banned
I won’t lie, I find Cross Ange unironically entertaining but it’s a shame these two are stuck in this show as they really deserve better than something that out anime’s most anime in how events unfold or how the plot develops. At the very least, toning down the Geassisms or shotgun fetish approach of just throwing everything in and seeing what sticks in an attempt to titillate may have made this somewhat more palatable to others. That said, I think this is one of those cases where there’s a great element trapped in a weak product that’s kept me watching. Not so much to see what becomes of the plot because that’s ultimately disposable but to see how it affects Ange as a character as that’s where the majority of my interest is invested, ~chu.

Really I think this is more a damnation of writing in modern mecha anime in that a prison exploitation work filled with lesbian fanservice has better character work than almost every mecha anime in the last five to six years.

Pooya

It's good to see people finally coming around to Cross Ange and recognizing its legitimate qualities. Exactly how I prophesied before, it's like a Paul Verhoeven movie!

Really I think this is more a damnation of writing in modern mecha anime in that a prison exploitation work filled with lesbian fanservice has better character work than almost every mecha anime in the last five to six years.

Mmm yeah, the panorama of the last years is pretty grim.

Also let's be honest, they forgot their own "prison exploitation" setting after the first two episodes or three episodes. After that they showed they have shopping malls and festivals and it seems they can go whatever they want in the island and have decent rooms, there is barely any prison guards... it's more a living place/resort for pilot fighters than normal prison. The "prison" concept comes in that it isn't voluntary, they are obligated to be pilot fighters (or mechanics, or whatever).

Honestly I watch Cross Ange through the same lens I view Shinmai Maou no Testament with: I find the show entertaining but recognize it as a trash anime that I wouldn't recommend to anyone and don't particularly think is good.

ZAKk8aS.jpg

I hope this is the one that had a shot in the pv promo for the whole a.expo. May finally be one I watch.

Haikyuu!! - 07

The show does a pretty fantastic job of making these little individual moments really endearing. Like going from the last episode and the introduction of the real setter on the opposing team you'd expect the focus to be pretty much entirely on Kageyama's senpai and their relationship. Instead though it takes the time to loop back to the dude's former teammate from middle school and solidify both their on going rivalry and the tangible shift in attitude that Kageyama's had in the last few episodes. It's definitely a nice touch and, so far at least, I almost feel like there isn't much in the way of side characters in this narrative, they all seem to have a role to play in the greater development of the team as actual people in this show.

Reasons s2 needs to hurry so even more of Karasuno and others can be more detailed.

Jarmel

Banned

ZAKk8aS.jpg

I feel like I should mention that Yuji Kanenko is part of Trigger and is the background art director for both LWA and KLK. So in short, one of the few good things about KLK. Super talented.

cajunator

Banned
Rather they would just release shows.

Wait, which is the american company I should be hating on because they are messing with UK releases again?

Im not sure but maybe Aniplex? you can hate on them for driving prices skyward.

It was - but I do wonder about it being the prototype, since there were similar manga that focused on classes beforehand - like Sensei no Ojikan/Doki Doki School Hours, whose manga predates Azumanga, and is itself descended from High School! Kimengumi. It's the most visible, and certainly one of the first brought over to the West (and did reform it by focusing on the girls), but even it has ancestors dating back even further.

Well its a prototype that popularized the ideas I guess you could say. Not necessarily the first to do some things.

Absolute Duo - 04

So Chitoge joins the harem and shopping for new clothes was on the agenda.
It's somewhat cute with the misunderstandings, but aside from that this really isn't worth watching. I should stop, but I can't seem to do it.

That teacher. I just want to watch it for her.
There is really no way that she can be a bad character.

After watching this week's Lezzy Grizzlies I felt like drawing this:

WO4H9AR.png

I probably should buy a tablet instead of using the pen tool all the time…

jolly good drawing ol chap

Absolute Duo 4
man that new ending is pretty awesome
http://a.pomf.se/gihrrw.webm

i dunno this aint amazing but it aint bad, this is way more enjoyable that the other garbage i'm watching

You guys are really giving me more reasons to watch this.

Rikka's teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQYXb-pCBB4&feature=youtu.be

Protip: It sucks. Really, utterly horrible voice. She sounds like a bratty teenaged girl.

I just watched some of it. She doesnt even say au~.
At least she goes high pitched squeaky when Yuuta is picking on her but its not the right voice. I see what they were trying to do but it doesnt quite work. Stick to the japanese voices.

Tenumi

Banned
Happiness Charge Precure: END

I'm conflicted with HapCha. On one hand, it has a pretty good cast of characters and the action is fairly good this season when not using their CG special attack forms. On the other hand, it feels like a lot of squandered potential. This show could have been near the top of the Precure tier, and yet it ends up, in my opinion, falling somewhere towards the middle.

Even realizing that it was a heavy part of the plot, the love angles really harmed the show, at least in my eyes. I sincerly hope that is one topic that Precure decides to avoid for a while, now that they've hopefully gotten it out of their systems.

But enough about little girl cartoons. As far as HapCha is concerned, I would say it is a "take it or leave it" type of show. Not a must watch, but not one to be avoided at all costs.

/XX/

Have anyone watched an south-korean anime called Sojunghan Nal-ui Kkum (Green Days) ??
I didn't have the opportunity of watching the work... although I certainly remember it receiving very high praise from Hiroyuki Yamaga, thing which made me eager to check it out sooner or later.

This topic also gives me flash-backs of all the implied information and rumours about another Korean production he professed love for, Wonderful Days, rumours that talked about GAiNAX & Mr. Yamaga involved at the time in more than a simple distribution deal for Japan (this thing became a reality in the end); an outright adaptation produced by them we never saw coming to fruition.

Shugo Chara Doki 78-79

Still dealing with the aftermath of SHOUJO DRAMA, I wish Kukai was part of the main cast still. He's more effective than Yaya, admittingly she's becoming more useful with the battles as a team mate for Rima.

And given that we're developing Tadase and Amu's relationship, Rima and Yaya become even more like support characters, granted Rima at least had the benefit of character development that is noticable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom