• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Silver Spoon Season 2 Episode 1-5

The show is enjoyable, but not as good as season 1. I feel there's some mundane and generic anime stuff that got added this season and is dragging the show down. Like that generic rich girl personality-type, or the beat-around-the-bush relationship between Hachiken and Aki, or that stupide event that happened in episode 1 that has still not been resolved yet in the slightest. It just feels like the show became a little bit less about farm life and a little bit more about generic anime highschool life.

But then again, it's been a while since I've seen season 1, so maybe my preference has just changed, I don't know.

Season 2 is way better than Season 1, but I know what you mean. By the time you finish Season 2 though, you'll really appreciate where they went with the story I think.

Conan-san

Madoka Magica Astral Ocean.
Yep, that's exactly it, that's Madoka Rebellion in one.

The story of a story that had an ending that didn't need another but we got one and it's worse than before.

Hell; "Madoka Magica The Prince of Darkness" actually fits as a title!

Movie 4 will have that and also undo the ending of Rebellion and have the ending us Rebellion haters wanted from Rebellion. Calling it now. It will be the total opposite of Rebellion and I'll cry tears of joy watching it.

I'll then read the impressions of it here and then proceed to cry tears of laughter.
I'll be right there with you, brother and I'll laugh forever and ever at the scene that tells everyone off for thinking what basically amounts to
universal abuse of a loved one

Are there any Canadians in anime period?
tieRbxH.jpg

Zolf

/Kyoukai no Kanata
I was told this was bad, so far it's boring. But I guess I'll watch for glasses girl.

I wouldn't necessarily consider it bad because nothing really stood out enough to warrant an opinion. It's pretty much the "WOW! It's fucking nothing" of anime. Great animation and some interesting character designs but nothing goes anywhere and nothing fucking happens, at least nothing that made sense anyway. And it tries too hard and takes itself too seriously to be any fun.

Jarmel

Banned
Yurikuma-11

Hawk the raven,

kashekoi never more.

That hard cut was brutal as fuck. Still though, why the fuck did Kureha not straight out say it was an ambush to Ginko? Goddamn she tried the most roundabout approach possible.
Really well directed episode visually and musically.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
YuruYuri
This first season was alright. I felt the humor was better in the first few episodes whereas the later episodes relied on in-jokes a bit too much. There were some pretty funny expressions throughout though. It's an alright slice of life series
Are in-jokes a bad thing once the show has established what they are? Since anime shows are often so short they don't seem to be designed around watching a random episode (unlike say the billion episode long yank sitcoms) but rather seeing them all in order so the audience should be well aware of what the in-jokes are at that point.

Jarmel

Banned
Absolute Duo-12
iNA4Z9rxh1cey.jpg

This is an awful final shot. The show wants to portray how close they are yet the window pane suggest the opposite by having part of the frame blocking the distance between the two.
One shitty show culled from my watchlist. Fuck yea! At least I got something notable out of the show:

veDLZc6.gif

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Miami Guns:

Well, wasn't this a lost piece of turn of the millennium ephemera and in spite of some elements that ragged on my nerves and also this series being a burn victim of the dawn of digital painting (I don't think I have watched a series yet that has used early all digital painting that doesn't quite ugly today yet) I rather enjoyed this. It isn't a great work of art and the protagonists are pretty blatant Dirty Pair rip offs but this was still an enjoyable romp of wackiness and parodies and metatextual humor. Not going to be for everybody considering how grating Yao can be a lot of the time and I am still deciding how I feel about George and Anthony, and Juilo could go fuck right off, but I still earnestly liked this. Indeed, this series is one of the first I can think of where my opinion of the anime has gone up considerably after seeing how much of shitpile the manga was.

phaze

Serial Experiment Lain mega post since tomorrow it's Bloodborne time and no way in hell am I watching anime for a while goooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Serial Experiment Lain: Series thoughts
Definitely can see why it's so highly thought of. Personally a lot of the dystopian aspects are lost a bit because they chose a topic that is so relatively modern and actually became a big subject within a couple of years. Unlike other major dystopian works I've seen that seemed to have taken something a bit more outlandish. Really not even sure if I'm choosing the right word to describe the topic here. It's just a negative view at what a future society could produce? If somebody can think of the right word be my guest. I enjoyed what I watched on a literary aspect and as a sci-fi fan, but I don't think it'll be replacing any of my favorite shows anytime soon. So tl;dr it's a fantastic show that may have aged a bit too quick due to the topic at hand and lost its impact.

I give it a 7.5/10. I'll attempt to start the next show on my watchbet maybe friday since I get out midday-ish.

Glad you liked it, even if it didn't blow your socks off. Of the shows I've seen so far, I think only Ergo Proxy reaches Lain's levels of confusing and weird.

Strike Witches S2 7
162191f63vhr6t.gif

I didn't think there could be a more stupid premise for an episode than the missing pants conundrum but this beats it handily. But if that one was one of the better episodes of S1 than this is the worst of S2 along with ep3. Maybe I was just tired but I found it mind numbingly dull. And some of the imagery ... Yikes. Well I got my Siegfried Line reference so it was not all for naught I guess.

Leave it to Lucchini to mistake a Neuroi for a bug.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Strike Witches 7

I didn't think there could be a more stupid premise for an episode than the missing pants conundrum but this beats it handily. But if that one was one of the better episodes of S1 than this is the worst of S2 along with ep3. Maybe I was just tired but I found it mind numbingly dull. And some of the imagery ... Yikes. Well I got my Siegfried Line reference so it was not all for naught I guess.

Leave it to Lucchini to mistake a Neuroi for a bug.

Believe it or not that episode was actually based on a true event.

phaze

Believe it or not that episode was actually based on a true event.

Ah my fault, forgot to make the S2 addendum. I see making 7th episode pants related is sort of tradition of theirs.

Great Teacher Onizuka 38
0022226gx51.png
002224jukv0.png
002230dsjvd.png

Onizuka went full Orochimaru in this episode.

Onizuka uses his own class as a slave labour to look for a legendary treasure but finds only American bombs and ire of his students. Good thing best character Kanzaki is to keep him in check. With Yoshikawa and Anko getting separated from the rest of their crew, the bullied x bully love affair is totally happening now.

Cornbread78

School Days 1-12:

First and foremost, I just want to say screw you Schadenfreude, AnimeGAF for making me watch this series. I could thank you for making me more battle-hardened and for helping me build a few experience levels from this sick, demented and twisted world of Anime by watching this, this, this monstronsity, but I cannot....

I watched through the first 10 or so episodes and started to get all introspective of myself and my behavior from years and years ago now (yes, I'm getting old) and said; $hit, this dude is just like me my last year of H.S in being focused on nothing but getting the goods, when he had a perfectly good G.F already that would have done anything and everything for him. He should have just been more patient with her.... From there, it gets darker and darker and darker down that notorious rabbit hole. I mean holy crap, this guy was like a damn rabbit, literally... Then, the plot twist and the ending, my lawd... I kind of called it as you saw the character progression in Episodes 8-11, but still, daaayyummm, some crazy out of teh woods crap between the harem and the rest of them... That ending is something out of a Stephen King movie, I mean, like sick, twisted, demented and just oh-so wrong.

In summary, the several hours I spent watching this series are hours I can never got back and damn, I think my world is now tainted.
So yeah, thanks for the great experience Anime GAF, may you all be forced to endure this torture in the future if you have not already. I will certainly, eagerly, recommend this show to any newbies that come by this community, as well as, any of my co-workers that want to take a peek into the Anime world. This certainly makes a great "entry-level" anime experience for them to witness. I feel better about myself for enduring this series and having witnessed that ending, which is pure, cinematic genius..

now, it's time to check another one off that recommendation list, of to the world of: Puella Magi Madoka Magica

I'm not to keen on the whole middle school age kid thing as more than support characters, but it appears this one is highly regarded around here, so I'll give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom