• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Well, at least School Days was watched in it's entirely. Plenty of people just skip to the end, missing the entire point of the journey.

Sailor Moon S 02

M9nBy6M.jpg

How original.

So, they fight a puzzling catwoman this time and Sailor Moon gets a new upgrade thanks to cosmic love. And we learn that the enemies are after the Holy Grail? That Holy Grail?

javac

I haven't really looked through the thread, but I can understand the notion of someone finding the act of jumping into the world of anime as daunting, so asking people for recommendations is a simple and honest thing, and generally there are some great recommendations and suggestions, but no doubt many are a bit off to say the least. Sometimes it works out, but many times it doesn't, because if someone is like "hey I'm new to anime..." I doubt that they are in tune with the humour and mannerisms of many shows. I think it's in our best interest to recommend the safe, but revered choices as to foster a nice environment as well as conditioning newcomers to support the shows that already need all the support it can get, not to drive our own motives and push our own faves but to again, create a healthy environment. If someone asks for something in particular? That makes sense. Somebody wants to start off with something whacky? Go ahead. Not everybody wants to watch a Ghibli or an Akira but you don't necessarily have to go to the opposite side of the spectrum either. Some nuance is in order.

I guess I've had it easy. No doubt I've been recommended things many times, but for the most part I find my own shows. I know what makes me tick and that's why I end up watching shows like Flag and Boogiepop, shows that I find on a whim and like making eye contact with a girl/guy, you just click instantly. Its obvious however that many people don't have that initiative. I know it can be funny to recommend the silly show for the reactions, but I think that once that person is comfortable and accustomed to the community and you know that persons ins and out a bit more can you go ahead and have a little fun.

My taste is a little off kilter, but if I was to recommended something to a newcomer? The Ghibli films are a great place to start, as with GitS, Bebop and Akira. Very safe, and again may not gel with many people, but at least it won't scare them away and from there you can see what they liked and what they didn't like about said shows/movies above and work from there since most of us have seen the things listed above.

Cornbread78

Well, at least School Days was watched in it's entirely. Plenty of people just skip to the end, missing the entire point of the journey.

Oh and a journey it definately was, I don't know what was going on with the poor boys head.

Like was said in Billy Madison, I am now dumber for having listend and watched that series...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Kyoukai no Kanata being made after Chuunibyo Demo Koi Ga Shitai is very ironic.

Conan-san

Sailor Moon S 02

How original.

So, they fight a puzzling catwoman this time and Sailor Moon gets a new upgrade thanks to cosmic love. And we learn that the enemies are after the Holy Grail? That Holy Grail?

And yet the only Frenchman fought in the entire show was the Dub version of that one episode where Usagi gets utterly blootered trying to speak english.

Dennou Coil - 11-12

I was honestly expecting the series to more closely stick to the larger, overarching plot it'd built in the first part of the show. This departure into more of an episodic adventure type series seen in the last few episodes actually comes off as a pretty welcome break from the formula. Both episode 11 and 12 just seem to take the concept of the world they've established and just take the possibilities with that foundation down really interesting routes. And through it all it uses the crazy situations the characters find themselves in as an excuse to introduce key aspects of characters that hadn't been developed super heavily up until this point. It's pretty great.

12 however has to be one of my favorite episodes thus far. The "Sims" aspect of the illegal introduced in this episode was just a really really fun idea and to see the whole thing devolve into
interplanetary war
just has to be one of the coolest moments of this show. Love it.

Oh, totally. And if we weren't limited by Crunchyroll's available library then I'm sure a lot of those would have been mentioned from the moment Cornbread popped up in the thread. Knowing that he came into the medium with SAO and him wanting shows along those lines I think we've done pretty solid with picking a lot of accessible shows that are enjoyed by both veterans and newbies to the medium alike. We only stumbled with Cross Ange and School Days ... and maybe Irregular (I originally mentioned it because I know there's some crossover between those who enjoy Sword Art and those who enjoy Onii-sama and hey he's enjoying it so -shrug-)

If you're referring to School Days, yeah. I don't think I've ever heard of it having anything less than satisfactory effect on the poor victims, if they go in blind. I watched it back in the day because I had heard of the glory of the last few episodes.

No actually I was referring to the scolding, I was feeling downright shameful at the time which prompted me to put up a genuine light hearted recommendation list. It put a stopper on the trolling that was going on before that point. You done good.

Yep, at least he didn't get tricked into watching Pico no Boku.

Maybe if any of us were eager to get banned / ensure Cornbread never came back. :p

javac

Oh, totally. And if we weren't limited by Crunchyroll's available library then I'm sure a lot of those would have been mentioned from the moment Cornbread popped up in the thread. Knowing that he came into the medium with SAO and him wanting shows along those lines I think we've done pretty solid with picking a lot of accessible shows that are enjoyed by both veterans and newbies to the medium alike. We only stumbled with Cross Ange and School Days ... and maybe Irregular (I originally mentioned it because I know there's some crossover between those who enjoy Sword Art and those who enjoy Onii-sama and hey he's enjoying it so -shrug-)

Yeah, I don't really have a grasp on the state of Anime streams and simulcasts since I'm one of those weirdos who gets everything on Blu-ray but no doubt that limits a lot of options. Streaming seems to be focused on the new shows, many of which are serviceable no doubt, but geared towards people who already like that sort of thing if that makes sense? It's a self perpetuating cycle and I think that there's not many entry level shows, although I'm sure Netflix (UK or otherwise) has a few like GitS, which up until recently was really bad quality but has been updated. With him coming into the thread stating that he liked SAO like you said, makes it easier to discern what he may or may not like and gives you a starting point, so I'm not saying all of the recommendations were off base, I'm sure hes enjoying many of the recommendations. I'd call that a lucky escape, but that's just me. I think for most scenarios, once you've seen a show you like, SAO in this case, the MAL recommendations can be helpful.

Cornbread78

Maybe if any of us were eager to get banned / ensure Cornbread never came back. :p

LOL, no worries, It's not like I can't hit the buttons to watch on my own free will. It's all a learning experience still. But yeah, Irregular is actally pretty darn good so far, so no worries there. It's like a cross between SAO, and Log Horizon, so ti is clicking. I really want to find out what thsi whole relationship thing is and I guess I just got a peek/hint at it in Episode VII..

Clov

Sentai/Maiden Japan's July slate went up. They're releasing Patlabor 2 on Blu Ray that month! Windy Tales is DVD only, though that's to be expected honestly. Don't think it has a BD in Japan. Part of me was hoping that they'd release it on BD anyway, like Level-E and Detroit Metal City. I can't remember if it was mastered in HD or not, though.

I probably will pick up Is the Order a Rabbit, too. Cute show.

That's like the opposite of what's true. Beyond the Boundary was dull and Chu2koi was adorable and fun. And then Hyouka is somewhere in the middle.

How was Chu2koi adorable? The characters were annoying or downright infuriating.

Inou Battle is the superior Chuuni series out there.

Hyouka is the superior of those three. We need more mystery series like it on the market.

javac

Sentai/Maiden Japan's July slate went up. They're releasing Patlabor 2 on Blu Ray that month! Windy Tales is DVD only, though that's to be expected honestly. Don't think it has a BD in Japan. Part of me was hoping that they'd release it on BD anyway, like Level-E and Detroit Metal City. I can't remember if it was mastered in HD or not, though.

I probably will pick up Is the Order a Rabbit, too. Cute show.

Thanks for the update, Patlabor 2 is mine! In case anyone is wondering, most if not all of the US Sentai Blu-rays work on UK PS3's without any issues and on a few UK Blu-ray players using various tricks. I don't like buying DVD's so I'll skip Windy Tales, not that I expected Blu-ray in any case :p

Cornbread78

The Irregular at Magic High School Episodes 5-8

Alright, I know this is another one that some liek and some really do not, but the story is still pretty engaging and there are a lot of interestign things going on with this one. As I said before, it definately has a Log Horizon vibe to it, but I know there is a lot more going on with it.

And as I said, Tatsuya = Shiroe more and more in tone, attitude and whit. Although, he is a littl emore confident than Shiroe has been lately, but we'll see as this series progresses...

So far so good, I'm liking this one...

Alright, I know this is another one that some liek and some really do not, but the story is still pretty engaging and there are a lot of interestign things going on with this one. As I said before, it definately has a Log Horizon vibe to it, but I know there is a lot more going on with it.

And as I said, Tatsuya = Shiroe more and more in tone, attitude and whit. Although, he is a littl emore confident than Shiroe has been lately, but we'll see as this series progresses...

Tatsuya is such a badass its ridiculous

Date A Live 12

Suddenly wideface?

Shido and Kotori kiss, so everything works out... Uh-huh.

It's one of these dumb entertaining shows with some comedy, some ridicilous plot, some fanservice and lots of different girls.

Started watching because of Kurumi, but ended up liking Tohka the most. (Sorry Cajun and Battleship :p) Mostly because Kurumi doesn't show up before the second half og the series and then just... dissapears again before the final 2 episodes.

Origami is ok, but I'm not liking Yoshino because of that annoying rabbit. And there's that sister too... Oh, and that other sister, but at least she's not a major character in the show.

Well... 3/5 characters I like enough, so 3/5 for this one:
rDPbcIS.png
x3ww6r1.png
P85OrjG.png
QRiQKJ7.png
uT5lRx8.png

jgminto

School Days shouldn't be recommended to people who would not yet have an understanding of what it is attempting to do with the tropes and expectations of the genre. It's those elements that make SD a more interesting watch than other shock drama schlock.

TatsuyaJesus.jpg

javac

Dates for people interested:

July 7th 2015
Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky [Sentai]
Run Time: 300 min
Audio: Japanese audio with English subtitles.
Format: BD, DVD
Price: [Blu-ray $59.98] [DVD $49.98]
vYeWuEz.jpg

One Week Friends [Sentai]
47DEij4.jpg

July 14th 2015
The Familiar of Zero: F SEASON 4 [Sentai]
Qc2Z4nG.jpg

Is the Order a Rabbit? [Sentai]
xu8sHcU.jpg

July 21st 2015
Guardian Ninja Mamoru [Sentai]
Format: DVD
Price: [DVD $49.98]
9HqOdER.jpg

Patlabor 2: The Movie [Sentai]
Run Time: 107 min
Audio: English Dub and Japanese audio with English subtitles.
Price: [Blu-ray $39.98] [DVD $29.98]
1ZN3d0k.jpg

July 28th: 2015
Windy Tales [Sentai]
Run Time: 325 min
Format: DVD
Price: [DVD $49.98]
ZBr5XYA.jpg

No Game No Life [Sentai]
Format: BD, DVD, BD/DVD LE
Price: [Blu-ray $69.98] [DVD $59.98] [BD/DVD LE $129.98]
gXHFRmU.jpg

vQEYt0e.jpg

Ehhhh ... I don't think that's a fair comparison for Shiroe. Shiroe has to do everything he does on the back of his knowledge of the game and of tactics alone. He himself isn't all that powerful but he makes do.

Tatsuya on the other hand is written to be literally Jesus. If there's anything that anyone can do in the series (minus moving random blocks) Tatsuya can do it better. He's a legendary magical engineer, can read his opponents spells as they're being casted, is a fighting prodigy, can solve problems that have been stumping magical society as a whole for generations in the span of an afternoon, is the moral compass for everyone at the school, and is a ninja on top of everything. Like it'd be funny if the author himself was sort of aware of how overpowered Tatsuya was but the dude plays it so by the books that it's pretty clear that he's taking the whole thing 100% seriously.

javac

Blu-ray
Release: TBA
Spirited Away (2-Disc Blu-ray + DVD Combo Pack) [Disney]
Run Time: 125 min
Format: BD + DVD
Price: [$36.99]
AFFspJd.jpg

The Cat Returns (2-Disc Blu-ray + DVD Combo Pack) [Disney]
Run Time: 75 min
Format: BD + DVD
Price: [$36.99]
1mF78R1.jpg
Looks like Yamada's wont be released?

Cornbread78

Ehhhh ... I don't think that's a fair comparison for Shiroe. Shiroe has to do everything he does on the back of his knowledge of the game and of tactics alone. He himself isn't all that powerful but he makes do.

Tatsuya on the other hand is written to be literally Jesus. If there's anything that anyone can do in the series (minus moving random blocks) Tatsuya can do it better. He's a legendary magical engineer, can read his opponents spells as they're being casted, is a fighting prodigy, can solve problems that have been stumping magical society as a whole for generations in the span of an afternoon, is the moral compass for everyone at the school, and is a ninja on top of everything. Like it'd be funny if the author himself was sort of aware of how overpowered Tatsuya was but the dude plays it so by the books that it's pretty clear that he's taking the whole thing 100% seriously.

Good points, I think the larger than life presence rings true for both, as well as knowledge for their respective crafts.
Both are awesome in their own right.

e_i

Jinsei Life Counseling

Well, that was cute. Ayaka is boss. "You're ordinary. Everything about you is ordinary."

Ao Haru Ride

large.jpg

Pretty cliché at times, pretty boy MC with fringe on bridge of his nose, sensitive side to the cat, school rooftop etc but overall a good lighthearted school romance.

Tbh Futuba did nothing for me, traditional discovery of emotions as a surrogate for the audience but Kou and Yuuri characters were pretty good, especially the last 2 episodes.

Needs season 2 but I probably won't watch.

Reasons in spoilers
C'mon with that random probable love rival ginger dude, also having Tanaka flirt with Shuuko, seriously!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom