• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianImp

While TTGL is a show I might readily recommend to people that aren't really into anime, KLK's a harder sell, IMO. It still was a good show, but the conspicuous fanservice built into the show's setting would probably be pretty big downsides to those not already accustomed to anime doing that (which isn't a good thing, mind you), and then the plot changing direction mid-course didn't help things, either.

Regarding the latest episodes of in-season anime, Rakugo continues to be amazing, Scum's Wish is also doing things right, and I'm finally catching up on Gundam IBO after forgetting all about it for quite a while. It's quite sad that McGillis ended up simplifying his vision to "I want a world were you and I can love each other without people giving us the looks" because his grade schooler fiancé was still too young to even understand half of what he had been rambling about. I wish they'd put the girl on a bus, since the whole plot thread of the two being engaged is really creepy for me.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Love Live is still a Pile of Poo.
And yet that pile of poo beat your favourite anime.

In conclusion
XZ1Mt3K.gif

Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Season 2 (Subtitled) Episode 66 – Proof of Evolution Synchro Monster

Majestic Star Dragon, best part of 5D's and my all time favorite card and deck to make in the PSP tag forces. I love how it can be brought out in so many ways.

Glad this is over with.
C49gADdWQAAssyf.jpg:small

They better not screw up the
Todoroki V.S. Deku fight
. It's the highlight of that entire arc.

I disagree! The WHOLE arc is a highlight!

And with how they handled every big fight of the first season I ain't scared at all.

He didn't get much screentime in S1, right? I wonder if anime fans were confused why this dude was taking so much space in the official arts.
Heh he got decent screen time and he was shown as pretty much one of the more powerful student.

Jarmel

Banned
Yea you can watch this without understanding any Japanese as it's mostly fighting. The lack of Masanori Nishii is really apparent in that the ships are now completely CGI as opposed to 2199 where they were generally a sort of hybrid of 2D and CGI. The models aren't as detailed nor 'roughened up' as the ships in 2199. I would highly recommend looking up the Hyper Mechanical Detail art books for 2199 as they show the amount of effort Nishii put into the show. The new approach obviously means the camera can theoretically be more dynamic but I don't think that matters in this case as these space fleet fights are largely static in nature. This is a long way of saying the ships look worse. That's not all though.
I don't think Aoki is working on the monitors for this. The UIs are a lot more boring now and more in line with what I would expect from the rest of the industry. The designs actually remind me of the UIs in Gundam IBO so I wonder if someone from Sunrise is working on the UIs for this show now.
The background art still looks good though. The art director is a holdover from the 2199 Celestial Ark movie and she seems to be still putting out solid work. The character art from 2199 was never really that impressive so I'm less concerned about that. I did notice that the explosions are CGI now so I wonder if Hashimoto isn't working on this either, which would make sense I guess (he's pretty busy this year). Now before someone gets on me, none of this means the show will be bad. It does however look like the show took a serious hit to the mechanical side as a whole.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nisemonogatari 8
Anime and toothbrushes were both mistakes.

New OP is good tho

Edit: God I just realized that LITERALLY NOTHING HAPPENED THIS EPISODE. It was 100% incest overtones and nothing else. Jesus fucking christ.

"overtones"

/XX/

Love Live got the first and second place in the NHK anime song ranking.
And the full rankings are:

アニソンベスト100!結果発表|ニッポンアニメ100|NHK
http://www.nhk.or.jp/anime/anime100/anison/rank.html

Another list featuring the songs from 101 to 300 was also included.

The inferior Idolmaster didn't even get it into the top 10.
I'd take the MOGRA COUNTDOWN 16/17 party as better frame of reference for popularity inside Japan's true "know-how"; where the first song of the year was 'M@STERPIECE', and 'Hotel Moonside' was the hypest!
Even though 'Kira・pata・shining' was played more times, so Aikatsu! wins the Battle Of The Idol Series... :p

Cardfight!! Vanguard G NEXT Episode 11 - To me, you are...! (engdub)
C49qF2RVYAAqYgB.jpg:small

Favorite line in anime this week was in this, and said by Chrono! "Even if you dont believe in yourself, remember that I'll always believe in you!" So glad Kazuma got to hear those words and hopefully that it will help him feel better about himself. Stuff like this is whjat everyone needs to hear. cfvanguard is perfect.

Dr. Strange-kun

Marvel is so competent in mediocrity. I haven't read any comics about the Doctor, but even then I felt as I knew the entire film before seeing it, this was a thoroughly standard origin story without an ounce of originality. Here you have the prideful, assholish, full of himself surgeon, here the part where he losses everything and that makes him start a self-discovery journey/training, here they part of the bad guy, there the part where he negates himself as a hero, here the parts where he accepts his role as a savior and defeat the bad guy.

Apart from that, the humor mostly didn't work unlike in other Marvel movies, the bad guy was uninteresting, the actors themselves didn't seem to believe the corny main plot of the dark dimension/evil being obsessed with eating Earth, and even the magic was boring (oh yeah, having the power of reshape reality with spells, and then end doing some boring-ass magic-powered kungfu with weapons made of sparks, and some bending reality affecting the geometry of space that truly serves to throw people around and make them stump into obstacles. Impressive.
The only cool part was
rewinding time but even that was bad because I predicted it while half-asleep, you could totally tell that was going to be a part of the end fight, given the warnings of never doing it again.
edit: oh yeah, and the movie totally failed in one of the key scenes, the part where the hero is supposed to lose his ego and really starts in his mastery of Arcane arts. In no moment you see him having his inner self doing an examination of his character and admitting his flaws or meditating about the true nature of ego and lack of it. He is just cold, tries a few times to get out in a gateway, and he does it.

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu S2 07

Rakugo is suffering.

Rakugo is also embracing your cute redheaded waifu who is tenderly oblivious to what happened in reality.

blurr

Dr. Strange-kun

Marvel is so competent in mediocrity. I haven't read any comics about the Doctor, but even then I felt as I knew the entire film before seeing it, this was a thoroughly standard origin story without an ounce of originality. Here you have the prideful, assholish, full of himself surgeon, here the part where he losses everything and that makes him start a self-discovery journey/training, here they part of the bad guy, there the part where he negates himself as a hero, here the parts where he accepts his role as a savior and defeat the bad guy.

Apart from that, the humor mostly didn't work unlike in other Marvel movies, the bad guy was uninteresting, the actors themselves didn't seem to believe the corny main plot of the dark dimension/evil being obsessed with eating Earth, and even the magic was boring (oh yeah, having the power of reshape reality with spells, and then end doing some boring-ass magic-powered kungfu with weapons made of sparks, and some bending reality affecting the geometry of space that truly serves to throw people around and make them stump into obstacles. Impressive.
The only cool part was
rewinding time but even that was bad because I predicted it while half-asleep, you could totally tell that was going to be a part of the end fight, given the warnings of never doing it again.
edit: oh yeah, and the movie totally failed in one of the key scenes, the part where the hero is supposed to lose his ego and really starts in his mastery of Arcane arts. In no moment you see him having his inner self doing an examination of his character and admitting his flaws or meditating about the true nature of ego and lack of it. He is just cold, tries a few times to get out in a gateway, and he does it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zPEtyAsM94

Rakugo is also embracing your cute redheaded waifu who is tenderly oblivious to what happened in reality.

Thank god for that.

Jarmel

Banned
The only two decent villains Marvel has had were Zemo and Loki.

I also liked Ultron but I accept I'm in the minority

I could only compare Marvel's Loki with Neil Gaiman's Loki (someone so deviously smart and dangerous that he is tortured with venom dripping every few seconds, so he can't think straight enough time to doom us all) and see a wasted opportunity.

Narag

I think I would have liked Ultron more if Marvel had used the single minded unstoppable villain approach appropriately here instead of wasting it everywhere else.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
TTGL and Kill la Kill are honestly pretty close to me. I don't like TTGL as much as most, and I like Kill la Kill more than many, so they occupy about the same place in my reckoning.

A lot of my goodwill towards KlK though comes from its outstanding dub.

MCU can't use Marvel's defacto best villain (Doom) so of course they will be weak!

Or probably their second best villain in Magneto either.

Jarmel

Banned
I think I would have liked Ultron more if Marvel had used the single minded unstoppable villain approach appropriately here instead of wasting it everywhere else.

I kind of like Ultron in that he's a snarkier even-more-assholish version of Tony. He's what I imagine Stark would be as a full blown villain. I know that's not what people wanted but I like the whole idea that the AI took after his maker's image even while despising Tony.
Or probably their second best villain in Magneto either.
At least they can use Osborne now.

At least they can use Osborne now.

Universe wide super villain Osborne (like the guy seen in the comics during the mid to late 00s) is probably the least interesting take on that character, though. He's much more interesting when he's singularly focused on Spider-Man, rather than just being a Lex Luthor wannabe.

Tiger Mask W 4

C48wBRGXUAEnZi1.jpg

So this is wrestling to the death, I take it?

As good as advertised. Not only was there strong animation throughout, especially in the fights but also in expressive character moments, but the storyboard itself was unusually strong and poetic in its layouts. It really sold the intensity of Red Death Mask and the bonds Tiger Mask has established that give him the motivation to fight on.

Aki-at

Pretty much expecting Marvel to waste all the Spiderman villains (Which happen to my favourite collection of baddies exception being Batman) because outside of Loki, none of their villains have been anything but an after thought in the films. Well at least Kingpin had a good appearance even if that was in Daredevil show.

Iria - 2

Alright this was kind of interesting, the invincible creature can be wounded and for some reason her brother was speaking to her through her telecom but it appears he wasn't? Next OVA seems a lot more action packed, wasn't too keen on the children characters introduced for this episode though and I'm not sure you can justify destroying the governments base and possibly destablising the planet but whatever.

Narag

Research: Japanese Anime Fans Pick Their Favorite "Swimsuit" Episodes

TOP 10 for Boys

1. "Sword Art Online Extra Edition" (December 2013)
2. "Infinite Stratos" 9th episode (March 2011)
3. "Amagami SS" 13th to 16th episodes (Ai Nanasaki arc/September-October 2010)
4. "Hyouka" 11.5th episode (OVA/January 2013)
5. "A Certain Scientific Railgun" 13th episode (December 2009)
6. "Is The Order A Rabbit?" 8th episode (May 2014)
7. "Amagi Brilliant Park" 3rd and 7th episodes (October and November 2014)
8. "Gun x Sword" 17th episode (October 2005)
9. "School-Live!" 9th episode (September 2015)
10. "The Idolm@ster" 5th episode (August 2011)

Top 10 for Girls

1. "Free!" & "Free! - Eternal Summer -" all episodes (July-September 2013, July-September 2014)
2. "Touken Ranbu - Hanamaru" 7th episode (November 2016)
3. "Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji Love Revolution" 2nd episode (April 2015)
4. "Ouran High School Host Club" 8th episode (May 2006)
5. "Sword Art Online Extra Edition" (December 2013)
6. "Love Live!" 10th episode (March 2013)
7. "B-Project" 8th episode (May 2016)
8. "Yuri!!! On ICE" 10th episode (December 2016)
9. "Another" 8th episode (February 2012)
10. "Kiss Him, Not Me" 9th episode (December 2016)

Man God

Non-Canon Member

TOP 10 for Boys

Top 10 for Girls

1. "Free!" & "Free! - Eternal Summer -" all episodes (July-September 2013, July-September 2014)

ByBb1wc.gif

Jarmel

Banned
Can they outside of Spiderman films?
The general assumption seems to be yes they can but I can't find an exact quote.
Universe wide super villain Osborne (like the guy seen in the comics during the mid to late 00s) is probably the least interesting take on that character, though. He's much more interesting when he's singularly focused on Spider-Man, rather than just being a Lex Luthor wannabe.
I think the Iron Patriot stuff would be very topical in today's environment.

Tonton

TOP 10 for Boys

Top 10 for Girls

Hyouka's pool episode was so lame tho
Eupho's was better
best pool episode is Flipflappers

Gurren Lagann or Kill La Kill?

Convinced my friend to watch both, whereas I'm rewatching them with him. We finished Gurren not too long ago, now 5 episodes into KLK. Seems to already prefer the latter a lot more already.

Gurren Lagaan is unequivocally better. I mean, there's taste and opinions and all that, but I would have a hard time seeing how one would like KLK more than TTGL. The only reason I could possibly reason is someone is really into the sex appeal KLK has over TTGL.

Gurren Lagann is a vastly superior show compared to Kill la Kill and I don't even really think of it as highly as others here.

See...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom