• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter storm to hit southeast US. Death toll expected to be in the quadrillions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

verbum

Nice snowfall in Buckhead.
Already been a 3 car fender bender outside my office building.
The danger is real.
Gird your loins, fellow Atlantans.

The downtown interchange (1-20, 1-75, 1-75) is going to be so bad this evening. You got audiobooks to listen to while you idle away?

Talamius

Complete bust in central NC so far. Forget the White Hell, there's a blazing fireball in the sky!

Our forecast went from 2-4" to 3-5" to 4-8" to 5-10" to maybe sleet and then snow.

The latest is it may start up this evening. Maybe.

Liberty4all

Banned
This is so hilarious.

lol I was thinking the same thing .... Some of the pics in the last page or two is like my daily life.

Honestly I'd rather have the snow than the - 30 C (-22F) windchill we have today. It's been below - 15 C for the last week here in Toronto, it sucks. I'll take a big snowstorm with - 5 C temperatures any day over the frozen hell we've endured this winter.

FnordChan

BTW: When did we start naming Winter Storms??? Leon? Really?

Winter-Storm-Leon.jpg

There's a reason why this storm is called Leon.

FnordChan: The Professional

p.s. Still no sign of The White Doom in Chapel Hill, NC, but that hasn't stopped the sense of unyielding dread from driving the town to the very edge of madness.

zsswimmer

My university (GSU) is closed for today! YAY!
A whole bunch of students are playing in the courtyard.
I like it when it snows still.
Georgia Southern? When I was a freshman there it snowed and my roommates and I had an impromptu snow ball fight with other random people at our dorm lol.

29f. Feels like 21. Outside in sweats and a shirt. No signs of rain/ice. But it looks good outside though with all the cloud coverage
Edit. JVM. Now it's icing lol

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Woohoo, made it home.

Only took 2-3 times longer than normal!

Boy, that was one hairy drive. Need new tires, treads weren't great on snow. Poor bastards out there stopped on inclimbs, and I bet they stay there for awhile. Saw at least 15 cars in medians, off-road, spinning in place.

Jefferson county expected this to be further south, and didn't salt any bridges. HOORAY BEER!

I think we need to open a winter driving school up north. Make it a tourist destination for those southerners that have no idea how to drive in the snow (and those Connecticut assholes too, you'd think they'd learn to drive in the snow considering how shit 84 is during every storm).

I think we need to open a winter driving school up north. Make it a tourist destination for those southerners that have no idea how to drive in the snow (and those Connecticut assholes too, you'd think they'd learn to drive in the snow considering how shit 84 is during every storm).
We barely know how to drive in the rain. Actually even clear days

ampere

Got sent home from work. Norcross, GA. It's snowing quite a bit (for Georgia) and the roads are noticeably slippery.

Probably going to work from home tomorrow if it ices-over. My car doesn't have great traction in good weather.

Yamauchi

Banned
I have a question, dudes. And I hate to be 'that guy' but...

I understand why people in California can't drive in the rain. I've read that it is because oil, exhaust particulates, grease, etc. accumulate over long periods of dry weather that then become very slick once rain actually falls.

But why do drivers in the South have such difficulty when it snows? An inch or two of snow on an unplowed, unsalted highway should not create serious traffic problems. It snowed an inch here last night; the roads have not been cleared but there hasn't been any kind of traffic issues. So I am just curious what the root of the problem is.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Just started snowing in upstate SC. And by "snow" I mean tiny wisps of frozen precipitation.

Apocalypse bunker entered. The brand of dog food I buy is edible by humans.

I have a question, dudes. And I hate to be 'that guy' but...

I understand why people in California can't drive in the rain. I've read that it is because oil, exhaust particulates, grease, etc. accumulate over long periods of dry weather that then become very slick once rain actually falls.

But why do drivers in the South have such difficulty when it snows? An inch or two of snow on an unplowed, unsalted highway should not create serious traffic problems. It snowed an inch here last night; the roads have not been cleared but there hasn't been any kind of traffic issues. So I am just curious what the root of the problem is.

The ground is warmer and causes the driven snow to ice over much faster, also new snow isn't that great to drive on with cars without snow tires (or good tread tires). Also everyone that drives a SUV thinks they're invulnerable, this happens up north too and they will always crash.

Yamauchi

Banned
The ground is warmer and causes the driven snow to ice over much faster, also new snow isn't that great to drive on with cars without snow tires (or good tread tires). Also everyone that drives a SUV thinks they're invulnerable, this happens up north too and they will always crash.
That makes some sense. Thanks.

kick51

Banned
BfFM4IuCUAAdNL7.jpg

Welcome to the South, Snow!

LOL

is that even an inch?

when I lived in AZ, the town shut down over about that much of snow. They had sold the plows the year before lol. The plows which would've only ruined the streets trying to push an inch of snow.

edit: ah, the explanation above takes it from funny to logical. oh well, fun while it lasted.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
vnOpbJN.jpg

We've turn to lighting our cars on fire, in hope to drive the white powder demon away.

I want to say, most roads are made from cheaper materials, that don't hold up well to snow/ice. Combo with the warmer ground equals quick ice. Plus, it wasn't supposed to be bad up here (Birmingham). Everyone's going home at the same time.

Kaladin

City and county schools closed for Valdosta, GA. We're on the GA/FL line on I-75. I'm anticipating a classes being closed at the university, but still having to come to work regardless.

i had three classes this morning, but took a snow day anyway. I was only 7 hours early.

Kind of hilarious that class is being cancelled due to snow flurries that aren't even accumulating...

(Upstate South Carolina)

Newton, NC reporting in again. My town is an hour northeast of Charlotte in case you're wondering. It's no blizzard but most of my county is covered in snow now. Yesterday my boss asked me if I could come in to work today(I'm off Tues/Wed/Sat) and I said hell no. Well maybe more like "sorry but I can't". Will post again if all hell starts breaking loose here.

Malvingt2

Yeah, I got cocky driving my SUV in the last big snow storm that hit NY. I almost crash. I will drive more carefully from now on.

Armaros

Yeah, I got cocky driving my SUV in the last big snow storm that hit NY. I almost crash. I will drive more carefully from now on.

Unless you are actually using snow equipment (or even then), one should always drive slowly in snow/ice. You can't see if you are driving over ice under that snow or invisible ice.

Tamanon

Banned
Newton, NC reporting in again. My town is an hour northeast of Charlotte in case you're wondering. It's no blizzard but most of my county is covered in snow now. Yesterday my boss asked me if I could come in to work today(I'm off Tues/Wed/Sat) and I said hell no. Well maybe more like "sorry but I can't". Will post again if all hell starts breaking loose here.

Man, I finally found another person with internet that lives in Newton. I just moved from Hickory a couple weeks ago. Surprisingly people can't handle snow that close to the mountains.

Malvingt2

Unless you are actually using snow equipment (or even then), one should always drive slowly in snow/ice. You can't see if you are driving over ice under that snow or invisible ice.
Yeah, that was my mistake. I was trying to get home the asap and I took a different route to avoid traffic. Another Big mistake because the road I took was not getting clean and I didn't know the different. I lost control of my SUV half way a down hill street. Brakes didn't work for me and Emergency brake neither. I dunno how I avoided hitting another car but kind it made out there safe.

LOL. It is like the first big rain in California after the long hot rain-less summer. The oils in the road are loosened up plus everyone has forgotten how to drive in the rain and there are inevitably a ton of accidents.

Man, I finally found another person with internet that lives in Newton. I just moved from Hickory a couple weeks ago. Surprisingly people can't handle snow that close to the mountains.

Come on man, even before you moved we practically live in the same area. I can almost see Hickory from here if I stand on top of my house lol. I was working out with some co-workers this morning and one of my co-workers wife called him and told him that snow hit Hickory first. It didn't take long for it to reach Newton as you would know.

It's been fun for my wife, she's lived in Cali all her life before moving here to be with me so this is her first time seeing everything covered in snow. It snowed last month I think, but it was light and nothing stuck from what I remembered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom