• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired: The Most Depressing Scenes From Tokyo Game Show

Bundy

Banned
Put Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and all the other (J)RPG's back onto the PS4 (console).
This will help a bit.
Bring the big RPG's back!
Move your ass, Square-Enix!

B_Boss

I miss the gaming days/cons of the 90's but then again.....with the internet in even more full swing maybe this kind of 'gaming show reality' had to be different...least I can always go back to my 1inch+ EGMs, DieHard Gamefan, Old GamePro's etc to relive those glory days lol. Damn...

IJ8GT6v.png
Floating Ron Paul is as creepy as Sadako.

Ushae

Banned
So sad, to think it was Japanese games that got me into games in the first place :(

That being said I'm happy gaming has become a global thing. Just look at our Polish friends CDPR, badasses in the making

wapplew

What can Japanese dev do?
At one side you have low budget miracle micro transaction games earning so much that make a no body company worth more than Nintendo at one point,
another side we have crazy budget studio pack a driving game+shooting game+dating sim+sport game+wallstreet sim+flight sim+whatever sim+TV show+Radio+countless mission+crazy online multiplayer all into one 60 bucks game.
How to fight that kind of production value?

Cwarrior

Who in thier right mind would compare tgs with gamescom anyway?

We all knew this would be lower key. If in 2 years it's like this then you can react poorly.

Tgs has been dead a lot longer then 2 years the time to panic has long pasted years ago, people have already come to accept it or completely forgot of it's existence.

TGS use to be a lot bigger then gamescom, IT had much bigger showing in software it was pretty much the Japanese versions of E3.

Some Nobody

I miss the gaming days/cons of the 90's but then again.....with the internet in even more full swing maybe this kind of 'gaming show reality' had to be different...least I can always go back to my 1inch+ EGMs, DieHard Gamefan, Old GamePro's etc to relive those glory days lol. Damn...

Maaan I remember carrying EGMs to school every day when I was a kid. It'd take me a whole week to pour over those things in class while my teachers talked about...something, lol. Kinda makes me want to dig them up and re-read them again.

Man, the gaming industry is drying up faster in Japan than even their fertility rates.

This, is legitimately funny. Sad as all heck, but funny.

I wouldn't mind Japanese developers and publishers crashing and burning if the talent got picked up by the ones still doing well, but it seems Nintendo and Sony aren't really expanding at all, outside of Nintendo growing their teams for HD development and beginning to work with Platinum Games. No new teams or studios seem to be appearing under their wings.

Which is especially odd given Nintendo needs a stronger first party line up to keep WIi U afloat, and Sony needs a stronger first party line up for both PSV and PS4. More and more developers moving to 3DS and iOS have left the Vita and Wii U with lifeless line ups, and I'm not sure how many PS4s FFXV, KHIII, Yakuza, and Dynasty Warriors can move on their own.

If it takes Sony and Nintendo buying up that talent in order to keep games coming to their platforms, then they damn well better do it.

Some Nobody

Who in thier right mind would compare tgs with gamescom anyway?

We all knew this would be lower key. If in 2 years it's like this then you can react poorly.

Well:

- I'd never heard of Gamescom until this year. TGS has a pretty huge notoriety from prior years.

- Even as a pale shadow of its former self, TGS blew Gamescom away in my mind. Yakuza, Lily Bergamo, Phantasy Star Nova, Reborn and the trailers/info we got on previously announced games--it wasn't bad, it just wasn't what people wanted, which was frankly E3 part 2. (IE: All the stuff we got PLUS New trailers for FFXV and KH3, Persona 5, a new Tales game, DMC5, and something new from every notable Japanese publisher. It would've been nice, but frankly the bar was set waaaaaaay too high.)

Empty

:(

tgs seemed so exciting at the start of this generation too. like i remember the 1up yours from tgs 2006 just being packed with cool stuff.

Some Nobody

Even E3 is going down imo. This year gaming cons having lame.

You've got to be joking. If E3 didn't hype you up, then you should probably switch to a different hobby for a year or so. The Sony conference alone is something so amazing I have it saved to my PS3. (Mostly to rewatch the game trailers without wasting bandwidth on YouTube, but still.)

QaaQer

I wonder if the TGS/Nintendo bad blood/feud will ever end. I guess TGS probably needs Nintendo more than they need TGS at this point but its always felt a bit dumb Nintendo puts more of a spread on for E3, PAX, Gamescom et al than in their own country's big public gaming expo.

Last time I went to TGS was 2006. Big times with PSP gaining ground, the PS3 approaching, videogames galore and even Microsoft putting in effort. Always wanted to go back, but looks like its a pale shadow these days. Maybe next year will be better when companies have more to show or something with the PS4 out and dev... at least a bit more mature?

I found it particularly odd that MGSV wasn't playable. I guess thats further off than expected :(

shit man, how many blood feuds is Nintendo involved in currently.

Some Nobody

Konami didn't even have a booth so I don't know what soapbox he can get on with no playable MGSV and was Lords of Shadow 2 anywhere on show either?

At TGS? No thanks. I understand the reboot has its followers, but I personally view it like most people view DmC. I need Koji Igarashi to return for a PS3 Castlevania. (PS4 would be better, but I'd even take Wii U at this point.)

Eusis

Hope y'all are ready. They are no more than 5 years ahead of us!
I swear western games were in a better position 5 years ago.

Then again they mostly shifted to solid handheld output by then, so I guess the console games we're seeing now could be in roughly the same position...

Toxi

Banned
This is why FFXV and KH3 must succeed, otherwise it's pretty much over.
It wierds me out how people keep talking about KH3 like it will have any effect in the near future. The game is still waaaaaaaay off with nothing to show for it, and Nomura is still working on FFXV (which isn't close to release). FF13 Versus was announced with more information than KH3, and we saw how that went.

I understand KH3 is BIG, but the game has to actually get made before it will do anything for Square.

Astery

TGS is becoming more and more like Asia game show (sony's game show in Hong King which started for a couple of years now). It's sad to see how the definite show is falling so fast.

Asd202

If people think FF XV or KH3 is going to revitalize the home console market in Japan they are just kidding themselves.

LAA

Yeah E3 this year was probably the best E3 I've seen so, hope that will mean more of that or better in the future.

As for TGS, yeah really disappointed. How no new KH/FFXV info came from the event is EXREMELY disappointing.
SE, to me, are probably the biggest japanese game company, so to see their two biggest projects not at this event is baffling, yet they promote Theatrhythm and mobile games... Lightning Returns too, but I feel FFXIII has just been getting milked and the sad thing is, milked and no-one has really wanted it since the first FFXIII.

I know they say they're looking into future games for FFXV, (which is disappointing, I'd prefer they just have one FFXV main storyline, then they can just expand on the universe, I'd rather them not prolong the main story), but if all goes well, I think people will actually want continuations.

C4Lukins

Japan needs to get pumped up. Just watching over the news coming from the conference, nothing new or exciting coming from anyone. I mean TGS was a big thing, and now it is nothing. Sad to see.

Derrick01

Banned
This is why FFXV and KH3 must succeed, otherwise it's pretty much over.

Well they need to be good too. I'm not going to shed any tears over the company who put out Hitman Absolution, Tomb Raider, FF13 and its spinoffs no one wanted, the Kane and Lynch games, FF14....twice, and the upcoming turd Thief. If they can't make a good game then fuck em go to mobile where they belong.

Deprive

Hope y'all are ready. They are no more than 5 years ahead of us!

This is sad. But yeah gaming is going to look different by the end of the decade. No doubt in my mind :|

PS3 not being THE console like the PS2, screwed Japan up.

Being fair with this year TGS, is that there were a lot of more announcements than I expected (at least localization wise)

Offtopic: Hey Derrick, I bought GTAV because of you... Just hope you didn't end hating it as Dishonored (Oh my buyer remorse)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I keep considering this weird reality where Titanfall becomes huge in Japan, like they make animes, merchandise, tv spots, etc. And Japan becomes this big Xbone market.

It got even worse than that actually

j5vQ9C6.jpg

What's the story behind this? It's really sad. That reminds me of a guy giving a conference about Sharp televisions in MWC, he had his booth and was talking a people were just walking in from of him without paying any attention.

Toparaman

Banned
I keep considering this weird reality where Titanfall becomes huge in Japan, like they make animes, merchandise, tv spots, etc. And Japan becomes this big Xbone market.

Not happening. Japan hates FPS. Apparently a lot of Japanese get quite motion sick when playing them.

Some Nobody

This is sad. But yeah gaming is going to look different by the end of the decade. No doubt in my mind :|

PS3 not being THE console like the PS2, screwed Japan up.

Of course gaming is going to look different, but it'd be flat out sad if it was purely tablet based or browser based.

This years TGS felt like the entire Japanese side of the industry just tossing in the towel for the next generation before it even started.

Such a shame. I really want a decent next gen JRPG but no one seems to be making one. Seems like that bet Microsoft made early in the 360 generation to moneyhat as many JRPG's as the could resulting in them all under performing in Japan because no one owned a 360 and the west because most people who wanted JRPG's bought a PS3 for some reason kind of killed the genre on home consoles.

Dahbomb

The fact that some people think Capcom had the best showing out of all the big studios at TGS should tell you about the state that the Japanese industry is in.

Chindogg

What's the story behind this? It's really sad. That reminds me of a guy giving a conference about Sharp televisions in MWC, he had his booth and was talking a people were just walking in from of him without paying any attention.

Virgil is a former WWF wrestler who makes his rounds doing conventions. This was taken at San Diego Comic Con, most likely during a lull period because the Sails Pavilion (where this was exactly taken) usually has a lot of people. He was there last year and had a small gathering but considering this is what he does for a living now, its pretty sad that he couldn't move on from wrestling.

cafemomo

They know what's up.

The 3DS and the Vita are the future.

Hell if FFXV gets a PC release, I won't be getting a PS4. And I'll just play MGSV on my PS3 since I really don't give a crap about 30/60FPS

Top Bottom