• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired: The Most Depressing Scenes From Tokyo Game Show

Videoneon

Deep Down and Titanfall... 2 western focused games. Good job trying to make a point though.

While I get the impression that TGS wasn't as bad as Wired made it out to be, the GREE picture irritated me, and the lack of stronger presence from Konami and TK is disgusting.

Just like deep down and Titanfall, for the reasons you describe. Disgusting.

I will say that, as much as I have ragged on Sega
fueled by the fact that I really like a few of Sega's franchises
they had the most compelling showing of Japanese pub/devs to me.

Hey, so long as there are still timeless classics that are born on mobile devices, I might not mind iOS/Android gaming should it come to that, so long as the Japanese game developers respect their medium alongside their quest for amazing profits.

What are the great Japanese classics on mobile?

Lumyst

What are the great Japanese classics on mobile?

I was being a little cynical, but that is my question too, will some of the developers who move to mobile platforms treat them like a traditional console/handheld and make games to be proud of, or will they all be cash-grabs. So if the Japanese move to mobile gaming, and that's the future, then so be it, as long as traditional games can coexist alongside the others.

Joni

I probably could have made the same pictures at Gamescom.
- There are empty halls.
- Some big companies don't show up.
- The Free-2-Play MMO hall was packed.
- More people were watching LoL and StarCraft II finals than there were stacking up for the PS4.

I'm not at and have never been to TGS, but wasn't the point that there was less actual show floor to be packed this year? Yeah, maybe a few areas are packed, but there are whole areas with no booths...

If they're setting attendance records, I'd presume the space used is of a similar size or possibly larger than it has been previously. Possibly using different areas of the convention centre.

Deep Down and Titanfall... 2 western focused games. Good job trying to make a point though.

Wut? Totally missing point. Guy is trying to say that dedicated gaming is dying when in all likelihood TGS 2013 was probably the biggest TGS and Sony, SE and NB had immensely packed booths.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
For those sad for Virgil, I was at the Sails Pavilion at Comic Con this year several times and every time I was there, Virgil had several people hanging out talking to him at his table. I'm sure if I waited around long enough I could have gotten a Lonely Virgil shot, too, but his table was not empty all the time.

Cant believe glorified flash games get a booth like that, what happened to my precious Japan?
I like Western games, but the Japanese style was what got me hooked and is still a treasure to me.

Should I feel bad for laughing at this?
tumblr_mj5nb9e0ej1rs1f4ro1_500.jpg

Quasar

PS3 not being THE console like the PS2, screwed Japan up.

Well I don't think any miracle PS3 could have stopped the movie to portables and mobile in Japan.

And I'm not sure what Japanese developers could have really done differently in terms of developing games for Japan. Its all Monster Hunters fault :)

ev0

tumblr_minpghCAWQ1rs1f4ro2_r1_500.jpg

This one depressed me 10x more than the others. Maybe its because Ive walked through this station so many times.

raven777

I remember few years back when Level-V was growing really big, they had one of the biggest booth in TGS. And now this year they have no booth....

And yea, the funny thing is that the number of attendance for TGS was the highest ever this year.

I just can't see it ever turning back...even with PS4 out few years down the line I feel its going to be mobile/social focus even more.

B_Boss

Maaan I remember carrying EGMs to school every day when I was a kid. It'd take me a whole week to pour over those things in class while my teachers talked about...something, lol. Kinda makes me want to dig them up and re-read them again.

This, is legitimately funny. Sad as all heck, but funny.

No kidding man. I will seriously every once in a while, take out my old stash of 200+ gaming mags and just pour over them for hours reminiscing about the days where I would go apeshit over Hook for SNES and how the graphics looked (I would draw the sprites over and over and that game has one of the greatest scores) or how my best friend would spend an entire month talking Sonic 2 when he saw it at CES....or better yet, going crazy for Prince of Persia and Zelda 3 on SNES after Gamepro game them 5.0's across the board lol....those were the fuckin days.

I remember one particular week where a friend of mine flipped super double dragon and tmnt 4 on SNES. I mean we just played those 2 over and over and ate nothing but pizza and jello lol......I could go on and on but I need to stop.

Joni

Attendance was a record high of 270.197, only 40.000 more than last year. Give up people, TGS is dead.

19.09.13: 29.171 (Business Day)
20.09.13: 23.183 (Business Day)
21.09.13: 102.399
22.09.13: 115.444
TOTAL: 270.197

I wish Japan could rise up again but I have my doubts. In its place, I hope the Korean development scene moves in and becomes the big player from the East. I just don't want to see gaming completely dominated by the West. I want to see some balance with the rest of the world.

what really bums one out is GREE shit is like... a crappy web game at best. them quadcore cpus in modern smartphones are crying.

you can make pretty and slick UI for free2play games too ya know.

I honestly cannot remember the last time I bought a game from a Japanese developer. Could've been MGS4, and that's when it went all downhill from there for me.

But I will always keep ICO and SotC.

And people wonder why Sony decided not to launch the PS4 there until next year...

You do know TGS 2013 was the biggest one yet and the Sony booth was the most popular....in case you missed they said the reason was to wait for Japanese games before launching.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Some selective bs going on here. TGS looked packed everywhere. Obviously no one will attend a booth with no games or a hall with no booths.

TGS-2013-Sony_6-1024x768.jpg

Its amazing how far they are going to try and spin it though. Truly remarkable and pathetic.

No, thats the only pic I could find of the floor. Ask someone who went to how busy it was.

Glad someone spoke about this FUD.
You do know TGS 2013 was the biggest one yet and the Sony booth was the most popular....in case you missed they said the reason was to wait for Japanese games before launching.

Completely serious question: Did you read the article?

Wired said:
But every year the Tokyo Game Show feels a little emptier and sadder, even as it sets new attendance records.

They're not talking about people not going to the show. They're even acknowledging it's more popular than ever!

jaaz

Ummm yes, that's my point, in case you missed it. It's about the games and if there aren't enough that interest Japanese gamers--as evidenced by that article at least--Sony was wise to wait until the games are there next year.

Shouta

It got even worse than that actually

j5vQ9C6.jpg

Man, I laughed but now I feel bad. Thanks Servbot. I'm going to report you to Miss Tron. >=(

But yeah, from an attendee standpoint TGS has only gotten bigger but looking at the event through the exhibitors, it seems more empty every year. That was the case when I went in 2009/2010

Hope y'all are ready. They are no more than 5 years ahead of us!

With how lurchy and unstable gaming has become, that thought (which crosses my mind now as I recall Japan's state-of-the-art cellphone coverage 10 years ago) is interesting to say the least...

This is the kind of story all the 8-4 guys were calling out on twitter. Apparently, a lot of people were taking some incredibly misleading photos in order to make their "TGS is dying" stories. Most of these are from the second, never well attended, business day. The first business day and public days were pretty packed from all accounts.

So, yeah, don't take those photos at face value.

TGS no longer being the be-all-end-all monster it once was is viable, hell, beyond viable. The issue is people using that fact to manufacture messaging to fill a simplistic narrative that can't stand up to varying evidence, like the below being said after Collar Dudey's latest venture over there netting north of 400k sales and right after the show-goers going ga-ga after having yes, wait for it, seen Titanfall.

Not happening. Japan hates FPS. Apparently a lot of Japanese get quite motion sick when playing them.

Even the very true facts embedded within this are rendered useless as knowledge for similar but more honest points. What of Tecmo-Koei's self-inflicted woes? The seeds of the shrinking console market which were sprouting long before Gen 7 even dawned? Japanese publishers increased reliance on weekly magazines, gaming sites, YouTube/NicoNico, and direct feeds into the consoles themselves in a more connected age rendering big show announcements rare?

"I 'unno."

Manipulable yellow journalism.

CamHostage

Interesting analysis, but one point...

20130919_143328-660x397.jpg

And then there are the parts of the Makuhari Messe, which a few years ago would always be packed to the gills, that are now a ghost town. http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/09/tokyo-game-show-gallery/

That's absolutely normal given the TGS events I was at years ago. For some reason there's a whole chunk of the back hall that's empty even though the show floor is too packed to move through. I was there the year PSP was announced, when Japan was still at its height, and there was this same huge empty hall once you got out of the lines and past the cosplayers. So, unless this is a different space that the journalist took this shot of, that is not true that this hall is normally packed.

Agreed.
If there had been a killer app that the world could have gotten behind, it would have been a lot easier to cut the show some slack (Japan's interests are different from ours, as long as the top creative minds there are doing good new things I can't fault the country's interest in cellphones and other markets that don't serve me even though I am very very much looking forward to a time where its products can cross back over,) but since it seemed so devoid of our kinds of games, and since so many games we were looking forward to didn't show, (I'd also add to the sad wishlist-lost playable Drakengard 3, Guilty Gear Xrd, and maybe glimpses at the next SCE Japan games after Rain and Puppeteer ) it's easy to LOL at and hate at the show.

I hope it's ok to bump this thread. I found two videos of the TGS on a german IT site:

Random shots:
http://video.golem.de/games/11697/eindruecke-von-der-tokyo-game-show-2013.html

A few interviews with the people there:
http://video.golem.de/games/11696/was-besucher-der-tokyo-game-show-2013-denken.html

In short: They seem to be sad about the delayed release of the PS4 and they prefer japanese games. Nothing new so far but one girl was interesting: She was there to check out the Xbox One and GTA V, lol.

Top Bottom