• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired: Todd Howard talks about every game he made

Cyberpunkd

But he's been making the same game over and over again.
And considering he made Morrowind almost 25 years ago I would say the quality is going down with each subsequent game.
Or maybe Morrowind was a fluke and he always wanted a lot of lifeless content in his games?

Topher

Gold Member
But he's been making the same game over and over again.

I really enjoyed building space ships in Morrowind.

Trying Not To Laugh Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

sorry....just being a smartass

Bungie

And considering he made Morrowind almost 25 years ago I would say the quality is going down with each subsequent game.
Or maybe Morrowind was a fluke and he always wanted a lot of lifeless content in his games?
Literally NPCs in their games have schedules, their own homes, tons of dialogue, most of their games are living sandboxes. Not just GTA NPCs like in Cyberpunk. It is literally some of the most alive sims we get in RPGs ever. Full on guilds/factions that all have the same qualities. How is that lifeless? How has it went down in quality when he literally described in the video everything they improved with the game loop and engine. Only thing lifeless is your brain dead post.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
How has it went down in quality when he literally described in the video everything they improved with the game loop and engine.
He tends to somewhat embellish the truth and conceal things a bit… people definitely thought they would be free roaming a lot more “freely” than they ended up being (not having a random seed generating different parts of the plant each time you land, aside from custom laid areas, making it quite hard to feel like you are really exploring things thoroughly), all the loading screens cutting the gameplay apart, etc…

For its time Morrowind was at a much higher level.

Kurotri

Starfield is an odd one for me. In the beginning I thought it was excruciatingly boring, suddenly after around 8 hours or so I was fully immersed and couldn't stop playing. Time flew by. Shit was cash. And then, around 40-50 hours in, the more I played the more I reverted to my initial impression, realizing what the game is actually like and growing more and more disillusioned and finally just stopping, with no desire to touch it again. I'm not sure what other game, atleast in recent memory, made me react like this. I truly believe that this game went through a very difficult dev period, it feels like a tech demo at times. Maybe in the future I'll touch it again when the DLCs come out, there are 2 planned right?

As for Elder Scrolls 6, I'm not optimistic anymore. The past decade is way worse than what I would consider their glory days from Oblivion to Skyrim. Even though I didn't like Skyrim as much as Oblivion, I still get a strong urge every now and then to return to it, which is proof of its insane charm. Fallout 4, 76 and Starfield just aren't anywhere near what I fell in love with back in the day. I also have started to believe that BGS just refuses to listen. Remember the outrage against the voiced protagonist in Fallout 4? Relatively recently it was revealed that Starfield was also supposed to have one despite the criticism, they spent months working on that and even had voice actors do their lines before miraculously scrapping that idea. It also didn't feel like they listened to any of the feedback from Fallout 4 going into Starfield in general. It's 100 % the superior game.

Even so, what Todd and his teams have given us remain important and are big milestones in gaming history. Even if he fucks up ES6 that won't change.

Bungie

He tends to somewhat embellish the truth and conceal things a bit… people definitely thought they would be free roaming a lot more “freely” than they ended up being (not having a random seed generating different parts of the plant each time you land, aside from custom laid areas, making it quite hard to feel like you are really exploring things thoroughly), all the loading screens cutting the gameplay apart, etc…

For its time Morrowind was at a much higher level.
I was mostly speaking for all their games since that was what he was pointing out but yeah Starfield is a new IP & I'm sure people had the expectations of NPCs being as free as in Fallout & ES. Each Bethesda IP takes some aspects from their other titles and does new things as well. At the end of the day I can't think of many studios that does it better, Also on Starfield too, I followed around some of the named NPCs & they did in fact have schedules and multiple places they went like to work etc. but I'm with you. Wish you could run into them anywhere in space, that would be amazing! The random encounters I do find in space are very enjoyable though haha.

I personally still got my Bethesda inch when exploring in Starfield. I mean while it's generated the locations you explore that were placed on the planet is a place that was handcrafted by the devs. So I didn't mind it, you may sometimes see the same kind of place on another planet but looting is so dense in that game you always find something new & Morrowind was indeed impressive for it's time but so much has been improved with the ES sequels.

Cyberpunkd

How has it went down in quality when he literally described in the video everything they improved with the game loop and engine.
Is this post really or you are trolling? What improved engine? It's the same engine as for Morrowind, with same limitations. They are repacking it periodically using a new name but it's still Shitbryo.

It is down in quality because I don't need MOAR in my RPG, I need a great story and interesting characters, in which Morrowind, Cyberpunk, Witcher 3 are shitting on Starfield from high up.

Is this post really or you are trolling? What improved engine? It's the same engine as for Morrowind, with same limitations. They are repacking it periodically using a new name but it's still Shitbryo.

It is down in quality because I don't need MOAR in my RPG, I need a great story and interesting characters, in which Morrowind, Cyberpunk, Witcher 3 are shitting on Starfield from high up.

Yeah dude Starfield looks and plays exactly like Morrowind lmao
It's OK to accept they made a good game. It won't take away from Cyberpunk's sales.

Now just in case someone is under the impression that Bethesda makes story-focused RPGs:

In terms of writing, Pagliarulo said that he resents professional writers coming in and trying to write a game when they don't play any. He disdains cutscenes and "too much text," preferring to tell the story through gameplay. Throughout, his top priority is player experience, from the moment they look at the game's cover to the time they finish the main quest.

Last edited:
It's time this guy retired, I think. Starfield was a huge disappointment, massively unambitious and wholly dated with bland writing, characters and story. Sure, I had some fun with the game but it felt like I was playing an RPG from 2013 rather than a ground-breaking one from 2023. It makes a lot less excited about Elder Scrolls 6 if it is going to be designed by Todd Howard and still using the creaky old Creation Engine...

Last edited:

Sorcerer

I think Todd is a passionate about games, but unfortunately is bogged down with the grind of running a business. Would be interesting to see what he could come up with if he wasn't obligated to Bethesda's bottom line. He even says in the video (more or less) that fans don't want anything that strays from the Skyrim formula from his company. Trapped by his own success.

Last edited:

ungalo

I was mostly speaking for all their games since that was what he was pointing out but yeah Starfield is a new IP & I'm sure people had the expectations of NPCs being as free as in Fallout & ES. Each Bethesda IP takes some aspects from their other titles and does new things as well. At the end of the day I can't think of many studios that does it better, Also on Starfield too, I followed around some of the named NPCs & they did in fact have schedules and multiple places they went like to work etc. but I'm with you. Wish you could run into them anywhere in space, that would be amazing! The random encounters I do find in space are very enjoyable though haha.

I personally still got my Bethesda inch when exploring in Starfield. I mean while it's generated the locations you explore that were placed on the planet is a place that was handcrafted by the devs. So I didn't mind it, you may sometimes see the same kind of place on another planet but looting is so dense in that game you always find something new & Morrowind was indeed impressive for it's time but so much has been improved with the ES sequels.
It's a shame the game is dragged down by so many puzzling design choices. It's honestly the only game this year that had some moments of wonder for me.

I sincerely hope Todd can go back to what made those games great in the first place and just make it better, the obsession with making a game that goes on forever is the main problem.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I think Todd is a passionate about games, but unfortunately is bogged down with the grind of running a business. Would be interesting to see what he could come up with if he wasn't obligated to Bethesda's bottom line. He even says in the video (more or less) that fans don't want anything that strays from the Skyrim formula from his company. Trapped by his own success.
Actually I think he put the library in context for the sole point of saying he's not going to be chasing that anymore, and that it was kind of a unique point in time where millions of non-gamers and non-RPG players found their games. The "360 era." He really siloed it off as a separate thing.

Best case scenario is they realize they can return to the Daggerfall, Morrowind era of being a RPG company for hardcore players. Starfield definitely feels like a step in that direction to me. I would love if we got another cryptic, hardcore Elder Scrolls that doesn't hold your hand.

StarField significantly dampened my hype for TES6.

If they pulled another FO4 or Starfield with TES6 then you can welcome Bethesda in the ranks of Bioware.
Yeah, I agree. Well, I liked FO4, but I get the sentiment.

I don't really have much confidence in ES6 being what I fell in love with so long ago.. But who knows? Here's hoping.

--------------------------------

Love him or hate him, the feeling of playing Morrowind at the time was so incredible. I remember having seen either a review or preview on Extended Play on TechTv at the time and I just thinking the water being so incredible looking.

And then finally getting it and stepping out into Seyda Neen and just the build up and music...

I'm pretty sure I was in Boot Camp when Oblivion came out and my buddy xeroxed the instruction manual and sent it to me in boot camp to tease me and tell me how much fun he was having with Oblivion. That was the only letter he wrote me while I was there. And then my girlfriend at the time bought me a copy of the Collector's Edition as a gift when I finished.

I hope they go back to some of the systems that were involved in making those game so interesting moving forward and that they hopefully learned some hard lessons with Starfield.

I don't think Starfield is an outright bad game at all, but it's just not a great BGS game or at least one that I would want them to spend so much time making; as I've still found ways to love just about every one of their previous releases in some form or fashion. But after the initial kind of momentum stopped with the game and the loop was kinda figured out...Well, it just wasn't for me, or at least not now. Maybe in the future after some modders turn it into a game I find interesting. But as it stands, I wish I had bought Alan Wake 2 instead.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Under MS and tied to GamePass? I just do not see that…
I actually think that's the only time he could do it. They have the funding and they're not tied exclusively to retail sales. Now's his chance to make his last hardcore game, if he's smart.

They will never compete with action games or Naughty Dog level animation. But they can make a hardcore RPG if they wanted to. Hope they go this way. I think they might. Fallout 4 had survival mode and Starfield doesn't even have maps, or main character voice acting. And we see Baldur's Gate getting a lot of success critically and commercially which will influence developer choices. We'll see.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I actually think that's the only time he could do it. They have the funding and they're not tied exclusively to retail sales. Now's his chance to make his last hardcore game, if he's smart.
I do not think MS really plans for that. Do not think such a game would be green light and properly supported.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I do not think MS really plans for that. Do not think such a game would be green light and properly supported.
I do. Like I was saying, they can't compete with Naughty Dog and action games. That's where the casual audience went. In the 360 era they tapped into an audience that now plays other open world games.

I'm not saying they should purposefully alienate players. But the only thing they can compete on is going to be complexity, RPG depth, writing, quest design going past what open world action games do. They're not going to win on combat and animations or foliage physics.

Anyway, I'm just speculating. We'll see.

Cyberpunkd

Now just in case someone is under the impression that Bethesda makes story-focused RPGs:
Just because he is terrible at stories doesn’t mean he needs to make a philosophy of it. The guy came from Looking Glass - even with gameplay-driven story Thief is leagues ahead of what Bethesda ever did.

StereoVsn

Man, for me Bethesda is just been disappointed for years which is a pure shame since it used to be one of my favorite studios (alongside BioWare, lol).
  • Daggerfall for a time was pretty amazing. Buggy yes, but really unprecedented for the time.
  • Morrowind - simply amazing. One of my favorite games of all time. Modded version still stays up on my system, now with OpenMW.
  • Oblivion - … good but unplayable with default level scaling. However with proper mods the game is pretty good.
  • Skyrim - very very good with about 200 mods! 😉
And then we have Fallout 4 - good action survival game with proper mods, bad RPG.

Fallout 76 - 🤮

Starfield -utterly disappointing based on many many reviews and playthroughs on YouTube. I will wait another year for mod tools, mods, DLC, etc and reassess.

I don’t think Starfield can be “fixed “ based on the inherent design flaws, but it should get better hopefully.

Fredrik

Great video! ❤️
They’ve come a long way. Oblivion was the first one for me so I jumped in late. Easily one of my favorite devs. Hoping they stay on Starfield and improve it and the modding tools needs to come asap. He said in an interview that he wanted to make another Fallout but I’m thinking TESVI will be his last one, he’ll be close to 60 by then, maybe he stay as a consultant.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
lol does he say es6 will share same tech as starfield there at the end, hype is small and deflating
That was always obvious for anyone being even slightly realistic. They had a large graphical jump to Oblivion, and stayed there for Fallout and Skyrim.

They just had a large graphical jump to Starfield, and they are going to stay there so more games can come out this decade.

damidu

That was always obvious for anyone being even slightly realistic. They had a large graphical jump to Oblivion, and stayed there for Fallout and Skyrim.

They just had a large graphical jump to Starfield, and they are going to stay there so more games can come out this decade.
whatever jump they are doing, gets dwarfed by others.
fallout4 was more inline with its peers, now starfield feels a gen behind compared to cyberpunk, bg3
cant imagine how archaic their talking puppets and loading screens will look in 2030

Cyberpunkd

It’s the same engine….

Bkdk

Todd should just switch career to full time streamer at this point. It would be much better use of his talent since he is clearly best at presenting and advertising stuff rather than making them.

Bungie

100% completely serious. Never said it was a new engine, the engine is improved, if you actually watched the video he details all of it & to deny that is just foolish & you'd be the only one trolling here.
Your post was about bethesda games in general & I was replying to how lifeless you said they were, I gave you exact ways that they are alive, so now you just want to throw in two action RPGs & compare stuff. It seems you lack immersion in BGS games, the more you give the more you get and some people just don't have the attention span or aren't role-playing a character in their playthrough.

If you need a great story and interesting characters, well I hate to break it to you, you make your own story in Bethesda games, they have always been known for that for like almost 20+ years. They lay out a fully immersive sandbox & how you play the game is up to you. It's not a scripted action RPG & I'm sorry that you don't rely on gameplay, skilling, creative aspects, or interactivity. Sony's exclusives are right up your alley! All your replies look like you have a obvious agenda. No need to repeat yourself.

Last edited:

Denton

If you need a great story and interesting characters, well I hate to break it to you, you make your own story in Bethesda games, they have always been known for that for like almost 20+ years. They lay out a fully immersive sandbox & how you play the game is up to you. It's not a scripted action RPG
This is BS of course. Bethesda games each have 100+ fully scripted, pre-written quests and stories. They are not pure sandboxes. People are criticizing - rightfully - the quality of those quests, stories, characters and writing in general, because it is poor.

If Bethesda was making pure sandboxes like Mount and Blade or Kenshi, your post would make sense. But they don't, so it doesn't.

You do know Microsoft owns Bethesda, he's not worrying about that anymore.

Top Bottom