• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 downgrade arguments in here and nowhere else

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Is it just me, or is the AO much better on the ps4?

Where in the video do you see an example of this? Curious, as I didn't notice it in the video. Though I was more focused on the apparent lack of HBAO+ at all in the video on PC..

Horp

I'm usually really sensitive and nitpicky to even really small details, but if you are someone that doesn't mind 30 fps (or almost can't tell the difference between 60 and 30), there are very few reasons to go with the PC version. I will go with PC version because of the framerate difference, but I can see someone prefering the PS4 version because of the couch-factor.

Derp

For the versions being compared, yes. If you believed what's coming out of Germany, PS4 version is indeed better (minus the odd scattering of extra foliage)
So the dream of better-than-what-we've-seen grass is dead? HBAO+ was supposed to save us, dammit! You failed us HBAO+!

Horp

Probably very late to the party, but I just heard that the PC version only has an On/Off toggle for AA (GameStar video) and it's apparently just FXAA? wtf were they thinking. It's not really apparent in the videos but I can only imagine what this will look like... ReShade to the rescue.

I don't speak german, but do they really say that?!
My god, FXAA is worse than no AA at all imo. Geez.

Kaze2212

Yes, they said there was only a toggle for AA and they believe it is probably FXAA because it doesn't really impact the framerate too much.

skonvolt

What are your specs? If you find yourself playing PC versions of games out on Xbone and PS4 at nice framerates and graphics this shouldn't be any different

other way: does your pc run Dying light ? if the answer is yes also the answer to your question is yes

Can't quite believe what I'm seeing. Genuinely shocked how close pc is to ps4. Even games like watch dogs and assassins Creed black flag had a lot more options for pc players to make the game look a fair bit better than its console counterparts.

BigTnaples

I'm usually really sensitive and nitpicky to even really small details, but if you are someone that doesn't mind 30 fps (or almost can't tell the difference between 60 and 30), there are very few reasons to go with the PC version. I will go with PC version because of the framerate difference, but I can see someone prefering the PS4 version because of the couch-factor.

Indeed, from that comparison it looks pretty comparible.

However don't underestimate how much resolution can make a difference. Also youtube compression.

Playing games at 4K vs 1080p is a night and day difference in far off details, up close ones, aliasing, view distance etc.

It really has to be seen to be understood. I often swap between 1080p and 4K in my games, just to be wowed at how massive a difference in immersion and IQ it makes.

All that said, as a person who bought SLI 970's for this game and had to rebuild his rig over a catastrophic failure, all in hype for Wild Hunt. If I couldn't get the PC version, I would be very contented with my PS4 copy.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Hey, at least we have AF, guys, right? right?
Z46h4UH.gif

Gonna need the game on my system before I make exacting conclusions.

It's seems like the PC version is barebone. even Lords of the Fallen from smaller team than CDPR got a PC version twith more stuff than consoles.

it was excepted after the massive downgrade from 2013 version and then CDPR comments on the three version.

what bugs me is why the gaming media still didn't jump on this, Jim Sterling, Totalbiscuit and other sites ate Ubi for Watch Dog downgrade and the locked/hidden setting in the PC version (also Unity ParityGate)..but no one is talking about this which is in the same level of shady business like Watch Dog.

So the dream of better-than-what-we've-seen grass is dead? HBAO+ was supposed to save us, dammit! You failed us HBAO+!

Not yet. CDPR took the PC/Ps4 comparison by PC Games Hardware down(they asked them to) and said the PC version isn't final and apparantly not representative.
A mod in the Witcher 3 forum even said the PC version looks "pretty bad".
So either they went full retard or there is a patch coming improving things for the PC version quite a bit.

Corpekata

Banned
It's seems like the PC version is barebone. even Lords of the Fallen from smaller team than CDPR got a PC version twith more stuff than consoles.

it was excepted after the massive downgrade from 2013 version and then CDPR comments on the three version.

what bugs me is why the gaming media still didn't jump on this, Jim Sterling, Totalbiscuit and other sites eat Ubi for Watch Dog downgrade and the locked/hidden setting in the PC version (also Unity ParityGate)..but no one is talking about this which is in the same level of shady business like Watch Dog.

Very few outlets have the PC version, and if they do it would've been sent to them fairly recently as the initial batch of review copies were PS4 only. So if people are going to take them to task, they'll probably need more hands on time with it.

Not yet. CDPR took the PC/Ps4 comparison by PC Games Hardware down(they asked them to) and said the PC version isn't final and apparantly not representative.
So either they went full retard or there is a patch coming improving things for the PC version quite a bit.
Was that mod a CDPR employee?

BigTnaples

I refer you to these posts.

Looks like HBAO+ to me in that shot, none of the telltale artifacts of their SSAO implementation.

Nice.

Could your more trained eyes tell us what seems to be the difference between these recent screens of grass

And these?

I am leaning towards it just being REALLY dependent on weather/ToD/Lighting how good/bad the foliage looks. Based on what the sun does to the grass in this screen.

The first shot you posted uses their SSAO implementation, not HBAO+ (it has the telltale artifacts).
The differnce between the first set and the second set seems to come down to ToD/weather affecting lighting and that the first two have a different and more varied set of prevalent grass/foliage textures.

Also, I can discern that the 4th shot features a bear.

Luckily, HBAO+ is generally not that expensive considering how good it looks compared to other AO tech.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

what bugs me is why the gaming media still didn't jump on this, Jim Sterling, Totalbiscuit and other sites eat Ubi for Watch Dog downgrade and the locked/hidden setting in the PC version (also Unity ParityGate)..but no one is talking about this which is in the same level of shady business like Watch Dog.

Totalbiscuit is pretty biased when it comes to this as GOG.com is sponsoring his esports team.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
other way: does your pc run Dying light ? if the answer is yes also the answer to your question is yes

Thanks for mentioning that game, last I checked it ran like shit on my CPU, seems the latest patch has improved framerate drastically

Horp

Indeed, from that comparison it looks pretty comparible.

However don't underestimate how much resolution can make a difference. Also youtube compression.

Playing games at 4K vs 1080p is a night and day difference in far off details, up close ones, aliasing, view distance etc.

It really has to be seen to be understood. I often swap between 1080p and 4K in my games, just to be wowed at how massive a difference in immersion and IQ it makes.

All that said, as a person who bought SLI 970's for this game and had to rebuild his rig over a catastrophic failure, all in hype for Wild Hunt. If I couldn't get the PC version, I would be very contented with my PS4 copy.
4k with downsampling would be nice, but there's no way my single 970 can handle that.
And 1440k downsampled to 1080 (which is my monitor resolution) looks worse than native 1080 to me. Not enough extra pixels to provide the amount of "AA" to make up for the added blurriness. Native resolution with a good AA algorithm looks better than anything up to 4k -> 1080 downsample imo.

Thanks for mentioning that game, last I checked it ran like shit on my CPU, seems the latest patch has improved framerate drastically

The later patches for that game removed the ability for it to scale as high as it did (aka, it got downgraded due to people being uninformed). It actually ran just fine on all non-AMD cpus.
I beleive it was a post by Marcin Momot if I remember correctly.

Hrmm... this whole situation has my head buzzing. It is incredibly disappointing at this juncture.
4k with downsampling would be nice, but there's no way my single 970 can handle that.
And 1440k downsampled to 1080 (which is my monitor resolution) looks worse than native 1080 to me. Not enough extra pixels to provide the amount of "AA" to make up for the added blurriness. Native resolution with a good AA algorithm looks better than anything up to 4k -> 1080 downsample imo.

1620p >> 1080p is actually a good downsample choice due to the numbering.

Derp

Literally lol'd at that.

Alrighty then... We shall wait and see how this unfolds. I expect nothing though >:)

kharak

Neo Member
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127773964@N03/sets/72157652536729480

They've gotten pretty close with the more dramatic scenery (dawn/dusk).

I only find this that come close but i see a lot of nuclear explosions. It's fine, i guess

The diferent between low and ultra looks like a typical port from consoles.

dEvAnGeL

Like i said on my previous post, i don't really pay attention to this things but is sad to see the gaming press is giving this people a free pass over the downgrade when ubisoft got ripped apart for watch dogs, to be honest im a bit frustated right now because i sold my 4gb 770 and got a 980 just for this game and seems that card i had before could have handle this easily :(, ahh well, we still have batman coming next month

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The later patches for that game removed the ability for it to scale as high as it did (aka, it got downgraded due to people being uninformed). It actually ran just fine on all non-AMD cpus.

Hrmm... this whole situation has my head buzzing. It is incredibly disappointing at this juncture.

1620p >> 1080p is actually a good downsample choice due to the numbering.

Oh, lame that they removed options then. But I thought they fixed that too? I mean it didn't run like complete shit (that was hyperbole) you could easily lock it to a stable 30 while looking much better than the console versions even on an FX6300. But yeah, badly optimized for AMD cpus then ;P. This CPU has no trouble running BF4 at ultra, but that's thanks to Mantle I guess. DX12 can't come soon enough, I think it'll help push PC versions further away from console ports again.

Edit: Hairworks continues to look about as bad as TressFX. Except it would make a tiny bit of sense for Lara to have conditioned hair with super shampoo levels of hair, less so Geralt and his horse :lol
Also didn't know that bath scene was a reference, reminds me of Slither :lol

Of all the things I am seeing, Hairworks seems to be the best out of all this mumbo jumbo. WHat are you not liking about it?
Oh, lame that they removed options then. But I thought they fixed that too? I mean it didn't run like complete shit (that was hyperbole) you could easily lock it to a stable 30 while looking much better than the console versions even on an FX6300.
Yeah, they removed the options.:/
It definitely could easily hit a flat 30 on anything, and even a flat 60 if you put down the distance scaler to about 60 or 50 (on intel).

nib95

Banned

Looks like frame rate and resolution are going to be the PC's only advantages here (hair too if you're Nvidia). Otherwise Ultra is essentially pretty much the same as the PS4. Even though I ordered the PS4 version, I still think this is poor show by CDP. PC's have a much higher theoretical performance difference, at least make some attempts to take advantage of that.

tuxfool

Banned

The game has a custom temporal AA solution. At least on the consoles and according toggle on the ini file.

I find it hard to believe there would be so little aliasing with just fxaa (not to mention that also appears fairly temporally stable).

Looks like frame rate and resolution are going to be the PC's only advantages here (hair too if you're Nvidia). Otherwise Ultra is essentially pretty much the same as the PS4. Even though I ordered the PS4 version, I still think this is poor show by CDP. PC's have a much higher theoretical performance difference, at least make some attempts to take advantage of that.

WEll, let's not get carried away here and start being unspecific. The PS4 is actually using high according to CDPR (and it shows in the finer comparison). IT is just that Ultra isn't that much better than high.
Looks like CDPR decided mid development to become a primarily console developer.

zNA2aiU.gif

cripterion

They however clearly stated the other day that they DO have separate teams (implying separate code branches).

(And, not that it really matters but since you are talking about it, I'm a senior programmer, or actually CTO, that has been in the game industry but are working in the B2B-visualization industry since a few years back.)

No, they only said they have a dedicated team to make the pc version run at 60 fps, higher resolution and better draw distance.

61107-Dr-Cox-laughing-gif-scrubs-img-mvwc.gif

Sanctuary

Here is an interesting interview with a developer, at minute 3 he talks about shader changes and changes to the foliage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU9rlkCOk9E

What Kaze2212 said.
Pretty sure he is part of CDPR and not just a mod in the forums.

"No, we didn't, we didn't downgrade. It's impossible to downgrade a game that didn't exist".

I can't believe he's actually trying this shit. He's also blaming optimization, when we know that's not why the PC version looks the way it does. That logically makes no sense. He's also talking about the initial trailer, when it's still clear there was a DOWNGRADE from 2014 to now.

No, they only said they have a dedicated team to make the pc version run at 60 fps, higher resolution and better draw distance.

In the interview that was posted 20+ pages back, they actually stated that they had two seperate teams developing the game at the same time (this was after they claimed having to build around the weakest system since they were using one team). I don't even know what the truth is here.

Horp

The game has a custom temporal AA solution. At least on the consoles and according toggle on the ini file.

I find it hard to believe there would be so little aliasing with just fxaa (not to mention that also appears fairly temporally stable).

I don't really see the temporal AA look there though. But ok.
FXAA can have very little aliasing though, but at the cost of terrible blurriness.

haha ;P

tuxfool

Banned
what bugs me is why the gaming media still didn't jump on this, Jim Sterling, Totalbiscuit and other sites ate Ubi for Watch Dog downgrade and the locked/hidden setting in the PC version (also Unity ParityGate)..but no one is talking about this which is in the same level of shady business like Watch Dog.

Because for them this is old hat. They're used to seeing things change drastically (and sometimes at the last minute). They're only going to start commenting on finished versions.

skonvolt

ok i don't want to be a target for "hardcore gamer" but i must admit i'll play The Witcher 3 with the PAD / controller ot the couch but on my PC, or there is a law that prevent me from using my pc with pad?

Always for my idea of console: 350 games installed, Gamestop out of business, want to play i CLICK PLAY. The pc is always on, and on many games there are MODS, do you think that skyrim was still played if was without mods?

Anyway i have a PS4 and a WII U but i think i'll let them putrefy, maybe after FF x / X 2

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Of all the things I am seeing, Hairworks seems to be the best out of all this mumbo jumbo. WHat are you not liking about it?
Well, much like TressFX hair doesn't seem to lay down properly on surfaces, look at Roach's mane for example, it's hovering above his neck. It looks odd, that and how shiny and fine it looks, while sort of lacking density. Both techs from AMD and Nvidia are cool but they both need more time to mature I feel.

Yeah, they removed the options.:/
It definitely could easily hit a flat 30 on anything, and even a flat 60 if you put down the distance scaler to about 60 or 50 (on intel).

Was that because babbys cried they couldn't run the Ultra settings? That's so dumb, people have been gushing over Crysis' graphics for years because it was so future proofed in its graphics.

Will their separate team build PC rigs for everyone so they can hit 60 FPS? :lol

Qassim

And yet people were celebrating when it was declared that a GTX 980 is all that would be required for 1080p60 on the Ultra preset. That was your first sign that they weren't pushing that hard on the top end.

I've prepared myself for minimum enhancements at Ultra (outside of Hairworks, etc) since that statement, so I'm not even really surprised if it nothing comes of this apparent final PC build.

Looks like frame rate and resolution are going to be the PC's only advantages here (hair too if you're Nvidia).

Hairworks isn't NVIDIA exclusive, it'll probably just run a lot better on NVIDIA hardware.

viveks86

PC shows the better LOD and density, the rest is comparable, the shadows appear better on PS4.

The LOD and density are comparable too, a few extra clumps of grass are simply because the PC presets don't exactly match the PS4 settings 1:1. They are, for all intents and purposes, identical. Heck, IF I were to consider this as an authoritative source, I'd go to the extent of saying the PS4 version is better, since it actually has better AO indoors.

nib95

Banned
WEll, let's not get carried away here and start being unspecific. The PS4 is actually using high according to CDPR (and it shows in the finer comparison). IT is just that Ultra isn't that much better than high.

What are the differences between high and ultra? Because I'm not seeing them between PC ultra and PS4 lol. You get the odd bit of grass patch difference (not necessarily more grass, just different), sharper details on the rare object, but otherwise they look almost the same. I'd even say certain things look better on the PS4, such as the shadows, the grass etc. But I'd imagine that's more from the added contrast in the PS4 version.

This game very much appears to be one where parity was a consideration. Not expecting many differences between either of the platforms. Guess we'll have to see on the performance and resolution front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom