• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 downgrade arguments in here and nowhere else

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
These bushes I swear to fuck aaaahhhhh

asdqaiuqz.jpg

I have no fucking idea why the engine does this. Insanely aggressive texture/transparency quality LOD? Engine struggles with anisotropic filtering on foliage at a distance?

As soon as the foliage gets up in the camera's shit, it all looks really rather good. The slightest distance and it all goes to shit.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
See the first video I quoted from my post. It is early on, I made a link at the appropriate place:

https://youtu.be/1fUGFmmikn4?t=91

Ah yes. Odd. Considering they clearly enable SSAO and the HBAO+ in the Low/High PC setings video, and you can see a clear difference.

In the PS4 comparison though, I can't spot the SSAO or HBAO anywhere...

Again, I think this is due to the sunlight/Volume Based Translucency negating the effects of SSAO/HBAO+. Because any screenshot we have in sunlight, appears to have HBAO+ disabled, or having little effect. And the screenshots we have with it working as intended, are all in the shade.

cripterion

It's seems like the PC version is barebone. even Lords of the Fallen from smaller team than CDPR got a PC version twith more stuff than consoles.

it was excepted after the massive downgrade from 2013 version and then CDPR comments on the three version.

what bugs me is why the gaming media still didn't jump on this, Jim Sterling, Totalbiscuit and other sites ate Ubi for Watch Dog downgrade and the locked/hidden setting in the PC version (also Unity ParityGate)..but no one is talking about this which is in the same level of shady business like Watch Dog.

I think he'll rip them a new one just for the AA toggle alone while doing his WTF is video.

Horp

ok i don't want to be a target for "hardcore gamer" but i must admit i'll play The Witcher 3 with the PAD / controller ot the couch but on my PC, or there is a law that prevent me from using my pc with pad?

Always for my idea of console: 350 games installed, Gamestop out of business, want to play i CLICK PLAY. The pc is always on, and on many games there are MODS, do you think that skyrim was still played if was without mods?

Anyway i have a PS4 and a WII U but i think i'll let them putrefy, maybe after FF x / X 2

I will play the game with a gamepad on the PC, but my PC is for multiple reasons not hooked up to the TV, but a monitor at a desk. Therefore, I talked about the couch-argument not the gamepad-argument.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

asdqaiuqz.jpg

I have no fucking idea why the engine does this. Insanely aggressive texture/transparency quality LOD? Engine struggles with anisotropic filtering on foliage at a distance?

As soon as the foliage gets up in the camera's shit, it all looks really rather good. The slightest distance and it all goes to shit.

That's some Xbox era foliage right there.

Edit: Maybe not

12262_kameo-elements-of-power-xbox-360-screenshots-20050617082950851.jpg

UrbanRats

WEll, let's not get carried away here and start being unspecific. The PS4 is actually using high according to CDPR (and it shows in the finer comparison). IT is just that Ultra isn't that much better than high.

Weren't they keeping Ultra settings secret as a surprise or something? This seems counterproductive attitude to have, when you need a microscope to even spot the difference.

Youtube compression and D1 patch qualifiers included.

What are the differences between high and ultra? Because I'm not seeing them between PC ultra and PS4 lol. You get the odd bit of grass patch difference (not necessarily more grass, just different), sharper details on the rare object, but otherwise they look almost the same. I'd even say certain things look better on the PS4, such as the shadows, the grass etc. But I'd imagine that's more from the added contrast in the PS4 version.
Well, I definitely do not see how anyone could say the PS4 version looks better... just that the PC version doesn't scale high (which is a god damn shame).

You will see the differences between high (and the PS4) and ultra primarily in still screens, scarcely in videos, and that makes me sad.
Weren't they keeping Ultra settings secret as a surprise or something? This seems counterproductive attitude to have, when you need a microscope to even spot the difference.

Yes, I agree with this completely.

Well it looks like I will just go for downsampling then since this doesn't scale very high.

asdqaiuqz.jpg

Are you talking about how "fat" they look (all the negative space in the sprite is missing)? That could literally be a way how they decrease aliasing as well. I am not saying that is a good thing though.

skonvolt

No, they only said they have a dedicated team to make the pc version run at 60 fps, higher resolution and better draw distance.

61107-Dr-Cox-laughing-gif-scrubs-img-mvwc.gif

Correct, the big difference from other titles, is, that The Witcher is probably most sold on PC, so, is the last chapter, story is over, there is no meaning to turn to console now

skonvolt

I will play the game with a gamepad on the PC, but my PC is for multiple reasons not hooked up to the TV, but a monitor at a desk. Therefore, I talked about the couch-argument not the gamepad-argument.

and i agree with you, i can play on couch and on pc IS PERFECT

PnCIa

We really, really, really need an option to push the lod and vegetation distance further away. Right now the distance settings for those things look like they are from Red Dead Redemption.

In other threads i would call my line above a total troll post. But its true.

III-V

The LOD and density are comparable too, a few extra clumps of grass are simply because the PC presets don't exactly match the PS4 settings 1:1. They are, for all intents and purposes, identical. Heck, IF I were to consider this as an authoritative source, I'd go to the extent of saying the PS4 version is better, since it actually has better AO indoors.

It does show better AO, I have seen this in several screenshots from different sources now.

This being said, I still doubt that the PC footage being shown is representative of final highest quality.

Derp

"No, we didn't, we didn't downgrade. It's impossible to downgrade a game that didn't exist".

I can't believe he's actually trying this shit. He's also blaming optimization, when we know that's not why the PC version looks the way it does. That logically makes no sense. He's also talking about the initial trailer, when it's still clear there was a DOWNGRADE from 2014 to now.

This legit pisses me off so bad. Everyone needs to watch that video and see the crap he was saying. "We didn't downgrade. It's impossible to downgrade a game that didn't exist before or wasn't playable before"? U WOT M8?! So by that logic, the 35 minute gameplay demo was of a game that didn't exist before OR WASN'T PLAYABLE EVEN THOUGH IT WAS BEING PLAYED?

He even says don't compare trailers to gameplay demos, because gameplay demos are when you see what the real game looks like. BUT THE GAME HAS BEEN DOWNGRADED SINCE THE DEMO. WHY YOU CONTRADICTING YOURSELF. AAARGHHHH.

I'm literally going mad. I need a break from this shit.

Shredderi

I remember when they weren't showing Ultra to the media because they wanted to leave that to consumers to see and be wowed or something.

nib95

Banned
Framerate analysis by NXGamer, XboxOne:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVphjF8XCFE

Edit: Game runs unlocked apparantly, no tearing, frame pacing issues.
Patch improved framerate in cutscenes at the cost of AF.

So post patch Xbox One version see's reduced AO and AF, but a few more frames per second, but still not locked at 30fps, which introduces some frame pacing issues. I'm guessing it'll be a similar affair with the PS4 version.

Qassim

Yeah, given that they were sort of hyping the Ultra settings on PC with comments like:

"And it's not even on the highest setting, we're saving that for when you buy the game, we want you to get a bit of a slap across the face, so that's not even the highest".

https://youtu.be/KHvKokJW3E8?t=4527

It's sort of disappointing..

Renekton

Well, I definitely do not see how anyone could say the PS4 version looks better... just that the PC version doesn't scale high (which is a god damn shame).

You will see the differences between high (and the PS4) and ultra primarily in still screens, scarcely in videos, and that makes me sad.
Don't tell me it's Shadows of Mordor again. You got to do stillshots at the exact same time of day and weather.

Tankshell

asdqaiuqz.jpg

I've always thought these particular type of bushes look ridiculous in all the videos I have seen. Somebody needs to mod those to look less shit, and quick.

diamount

Banned
Seems like it's that time of the day when I should repost these GIFs. Analyze it technically and read from it what you will :)

IMG]http://gifyu.com/images/Comp2b1348.gif[/IMG

IMG]http://gifyu.com/images/comp10a2c8.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE

Yeah, not like these haven't been posted dozens of times.

tuxfool

Banned
WEll, let's not get carried away here and start being unspecific. The PS4 is actually using high according to CDPR (and it shows in the finer comparison). IT is just that Ultra isn't that much better than high.

Looking at the foliage density on PS4 it seems closer to low on PC.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Are you talking about how "fat" they look (all the negative space in the sprite is missing)? That could literally be a way how they decrease aliasing as well. I am not saying that is a good thing though.

Yep, and you could be right. The leaves fatten up, reducing alpha layers, and reduce texture quality very quickly. Possibly to preserve aliasing IQ and performance.

I've always thought these particular type of bushes look ridiculous in all the videos I have seen. Somebody needs to mod those to look less shit, and quick.

They scale terribly, worse than anything else, simply due to the kind of bush they are. But if you watch footage where they're really close to the camera the detail increases significantly. I could understand the billboard fanning over a long distance, but it happens really not far from the character.

There might be a foliage texture streaming downscaling tweak in the ini though.

jett

D-Member
It's amazing that if you run at anything below ultra you're running at sub-console settings.

It seems odd to get into PC gaming just to treat it as a faster console to me anyway.

Well it was an old PC that needed replacing anyway, but it was this game's trailers and gameplay and whanot that convinced me. Besides, what further need would the average PC gamer need for a graphics card than games?

tuxfool

Banned

Up close you definitely can see the needles of the pines, move a bit further and it gets weird like that.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Of all the things I am seeing, Hairworks seems to be the best out of all this mumbo jumbo. WHat are you not liking about it?

Yeah, they removed the options.:/
It definitely could easily hit a flat 30 on anything, and even a flat 60 if you put down the distance scaler to about 60 or 50 (on intel).

Hairworks don't really matter anymore when the PC version (or should I call it a port?) look identical to consoles with lack of AA options.

Looks like frame rate and resolution are going to be the PC's only advantages here (hair too if you're Nvidia). Otherwise Ultra is essentially pretty much the same as the PS4. Even though I ordered the PS4 version, I still think this is poor show by CDP. PC's have a much higher theoretical performance difference, at least make some attempts to take advantage of that.

When smaller no-name developer like Deck13 make better use of Nvidia techs and made the PC version for their game (Lords of the Fallen) look way better than consoles you know there is something wrong here.

CDPR is what they are now mostly because of their PC usebase that supported Witcher 1 and 2 and supported GoG. seeing CDPR not give a fuck about PC version and made a barebone version for their userbase is just baffling.

The massive downgrade from 2013 and bare-bone PC version, plus the bullshit PR from CDPR about the whole situation is really depressing.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Yes, you do. Take note that it isn't the end of the world if the game looks shit.

Indeed. And the game still looks pretty damned beautiful overall.

A few tweaks to LoD and I really wouldn't have any issue with how it looks now. Gorgeous game.

The downgrade still hurts a bit, but it was really more of a sidegrade imo.

Skii

Amazing that there is little noticeable difference between low vs ultra settings on the PC. How is that even possible?

It's clear that the delay was to optimise the PS4/Xbox One versions rather than optimising and improving all platforms.

The worst part is that it seems like you need a £1000+ PC to run this at Ultra at 60fps. With a console at £300 being able to play this at a similar level to ultra at 30fps, there is no reason for you to be spending an extra £700+ just to get it to 60fps.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
When smaller no-name developer like Deck13 make better use of Nvidia techs and made the PC version for their game (Lords of the Fallen) look way better than consoles you know there is something wrong here.
That's highly debatable.

The console versions had serious performance problems but the stock GPU accelerated particle system actually looks quite a bit better in many places than the nVidia specific implementation.

Thankfully, you can disable these on the PC and the game runs even better.

Amazing that there is little noticeable difference between low vs ultra settings on the PC. How is that even possible?
You sure about this? The low shots I've seen look DRAMATICALLY worse with awful, ugly, blurry textures and just a muddy overall appearance.

artsi

ARMA engine would croak trying to do one of Witcher 3's towns.

For example Kavala is huge, every building is enterable and it's doing just fine.

And that's not the point, but how the game can be scaled by adjusting settings. Draw distance can be 500m or 12000m, it's up to you how much you want to push your hardware.
You even have a downsampling option in-game.

Witcher 3 does it completely backwards and doesn't even give MSAA or AFx16, that's just sad for a PC game.

Kaze2212

Ignore that for a moment and analyze it technically. What are the issues you see? Would you say PC "Ultra" and PS4 are equivalent?

Well, I find the skin tone in the "Ultra" settings is pretty off compared to the other two.

And the lighting in general seems to be better in the other 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom