• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 downgrade arguments in here and nowhere else

Status
Not open for further replies.
All CD Project had to do in their initial reveal from 2013 was to put at the beginning of the video something like, "This is early footage and may not be representative of the final game when it is released."

Had they done that, all this could have been avoided. Hell, everyone should be doing that, especially with E3 coming up.

RedSwirl

All CD Project had to do in their initial reveal from 2013 was to put at the beginning of the video something like, "This is early footage and may not be representative of the final game when it is released."

Had they done that, all this could have been avoided. Hell, everyone should be doing that, especially with E3 coming up.

Didn't some of the early videos, like the E3 2014 video, have "Work In Progress" in big letters at the top of the screen throughout the entire 35-minutes of gameplay?

If lying produces good games then, I'm okay with this.

Lying about downgrade made the game better? Huh?

Do love the way everyone is a moral paladin in the internet, so pure, so sinless

Light my way with ethics please, show me truth

Oh so that's how it is, eh?
It's not like CDPR showed amazing graphics and claimed it was in-game footage, but no, it's because we are on our moral high horses.

Kurdel

Banned
I know hindsight is 20/20, but this comment is hilarious in retrospect:

Game informer cover story said:
CD Projekt RED has provided the screenshots you see here from its current in-game assets running on its Internal PC development hardware. However, the renderer - the part of the engine that translates the game files into what you ultimately see on screen - is still in development and will boast significant improvements by the time The Witcher 3 ships. "Right now you see the game in the old renderer, but it's going to be taken to a truly next level," says gameplay producer Marek ZSiemak. In particular, the developers tell us that skin shaders and the dynamic lighting model will be markedly more advanced in the final version.

My goodness I don't think I have ever seen as many entitled unreasonable cry babies in one thread before.

Game is incredible and looks stunning.

2 year old target footage did look a bit better, get over it and go enjoy the incredible game you have to play.

You are all so hard for by!

And I've never seen such a defensive bunch of crybabies who have to immediately lash out whenever someone brings up the idea that this game was downgraded immensely.

Didn't some of the early videos, like the E3 2014 video, have "Work In Progress" in big letters at the top of the screen throughout the entire 35-minutes of gameplay?

Don't remember. But "work in progress" isn't clear enough. I think they need to be explicit as possible, so there is no way anything can be misconstrued.

DOWN

Banned

They said that we should expect better and better than the early footage. They didn't even once go the opposite direction and say we should expect it to get worse.

KoopaTheCasual

My goodness I don't think I have ever seen as many entitled unreasonable cry babies in one thread before.

Game is incredible and looks stunning.

2 year old target footage did look a bit better, get over it and go enjoy the incredible game you have to play.

You are all so hard for by!
Comes into thread designated for any and all downgrade complaints, whines about downgrade complaints.

Keep it up.

viveks86

As much as I appreciate their candor now, these should have been the interview responses prior to launch. It's not cool to wait till most people buy your game. Shit happens, but you gotta be honest throughout the process.

Now with regard to how big a bait and switch it is, that's still debatable, as the game can be pretty damn impressive with the right amount of tweaking in their own engine. The biggest cut back seems to be to the volumetric particle effects and being able to light extremely distant objects, such as mountains. Acknowledging these much earlier could have gone a long way in assuaging people's concerns.

viveks86

They made a PR gamble and it seems to be paying off. I am hoping they will be more forthcoming in the future.

It certainly paid off. Just like it does with every game. But I hate that they weren't more forthcoming earlier. Consumers get some of the blame too, because of how insane everyone gets the moment anything downgrade related surfaces prior to release. It really would benefit everyone if both sides of this equation had a better attitude towards the topic.

They actually did say that the lighting system changed and that the game was going to look worse than the reveal in some areas, this was a while ago in some other interview that a gaffer posted right here. Everyone ignored it, he is basically saying the same in this new interview when he talks about the global lighting stuff.

EDIT: Found it, this is from january:

How can you explain the difference between the graphics quality in the first trailers and the currently presented materials?

As Adam Badowski told us in an interview given on January 28, 2015, the quality of models, shaders and textures in the game has improved. During the development works, the rendering engine that provides, e.g., the lighting, was changed. “I think that there will be locations that will look jaw-dropping, and no one will claim that they differ from what was seen in the trailer. Unfortunately, there will also be fragments where the game will look worse. It’s the same with GTA – when the wind picks up and it gets grey, especially in the forest, the graphics seem certainly worse than in a neon-filled and lively city”, told us the Managing Director of CD Projekt RED.

http://www.gamepressure.com/e.asp?ID=73

DOWN

Banned
They actually did say that the lighting system changed and that the game was going to look worse than the reveal in some areas, this was a while ago in some other interview that a gaffer posted right here. Everyone ignored it, he is basically saying the same in this new interview when he talks about the global lighting stuff.

Nah, that wasn't ignored, it got spun by a certain crowd into "well that doesn't mean other things aren't upgraded in the scenes to make it actually end up looking better and I say it looks better now" so apparently CDPR wasn't explicit enough if they were trying to tell people it was going to look worse.

Helznicht

Just some shots from Morn, Noon and Eve.

e4fLSE3.jpg

sfkDuNQ.jpg

EfM23Jp.jpg

DOWN

Banned
I'm not sure here is the place to post screenshots of the game that come from mods and tampered files. Is the point to try and make us think it looks like there wasn't much downgrade? By showing things that the vanilla game doesn't do?

EDIT: Found it, this is from january:

http://www.gamepressure.com/e.asp?ID=73

ive not seen any media where the game looks jaw dropping or anywhere close to the 2013 footage. visually, id rate the graphics at 4/10 where 5 = average by gen 8 standards

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I'm not sure here is the place to post screenshots of the game that come from mods and tampered files. Is the point to try and make us think it looks like there wasn't much downgrade? By showing things that the vanilla game doesn't do?

Well yeah. If it shows the "downgrade" was mostly an asthstetic chage. Where as actual technical changes did happen, some for better, some for worse,the game is stunning @ Ultra 4K and not as far removed from their original vision as some would have you believe.

Portugeezer

A comparison using the image I posted above. The biggest hit seems to be to the mountains in the distance. No matter how bright it gets (it never seems to get too bright in that area anymore), the mountains always show up as a silhouette, which is probably because they were not able to light objects so far away. The sky never looks as awesome as the ones in the trailer, but it seems like the general quality of the clouds from what I've seen so far isn't as high resolution as the ones in the trailer. The volumetric smoke from the chimneys has certainly been downgraded, if not removed entirely from some areas. I've seen chimneys emitting smoke every now and then, but they are not nearly the same. Object LoD seems intact. Foliage has certainly changed and gets real blurry at low resolutions, but at high resolutions, it's not as bad as people make it seem. There's much more foliage and variety, in fact, though it suffers from billboard effects more than the original sprites.

Comp4.gif

Where can I get the ini settings?

DOWN

Banned
Well yeah. If it shows the "downgrade" was mostly an asthstetic chage. Where as actual technical changes did happen, some for better, some for worse,the game is stunning @ Ultra 4K and not as far removed from their original vision as some would have you believe.

Okay but gross art changes are a downgrade to dignity

And it still doesn't look like the first visuals

Griss

That interview appears to be very honest and far from the typical PR-speak. If they done something like that a couple months before release I'd have no problem with them whatsoever. Obviously business reality dictates that they'd never do that, and it's just a little bit slimy.

Still, they delivered a great game and have dealt with the criticism head-on. That's pretty cool. Just a shame that the visual downgrade needed to be as huge as it was to get the game to where it needed to be.

Not that I've played the game, and genuinely out of interest, what is a 10/10 for this gen so far?

ill just give my ratings of some popular games to put my 4/10 into perspective. my rating also, naturally, is based off currently available games. therefor ratings would change as better looking games get released. this also isnt strictly judging graphics tech, but the end results tech+art combines to create.

shadowfall - 7.5
unity PC - 8.5
ryse - 8
driveclub - 9
order - 10
crysis 3 - 7
bf4 - 5
far cry 4 - 5.5
gta - 7
infamous - 6.5

Skyzard

Banned
"We don't agree there is a downgrade"

ChubbyExemplaryCivet.gif

Shiny materials (PBR) looks better on consoles than settings they can't actually run.

No PC, you can't have both
it performs bad enough as it is

Btw I've been playing it lots and it's actually a very good game. It can also look good but for me I couldn't take 1080p, I needed 1440p to get sharper vegetation so it was less mushy. I'm on a decent rig too, well it was until this game rekt it - 780ti sc/4770K@4.4GHz. That comes with a hefty performance cap if you want it to look good with other settings too (especially high foliage, not ultra, so it doesn't draw in so close). I've locked it to 38fps to get absolutely no drops (which can cause stuttering for me) in any situation in the first area with normal gameplay, including hotspots and fights there. No hairworks lol, some people with titan x turn it off for the performance. -might be less tolerable on my setup as my desktop native resolution is 1440p.

HeelPower

How can anyone play this ,run through an incredibly dense forest in the sunset and then have a storm roll in for example and not think it looks great.

So far its been a dazzling experience.Not to mention the craftsmanship and world building that are such salient and strong elements of the visual experience.

CDPR clearly delivered.

Trace

Banned
How can anyone play this ,run through an incredibly dense forest in the sunset and then have a storm roll in for example and not think it looks great.

So far its been a dazzling experience.Not to mention the craftsmanship and world building that are such salient and strong elements of the visual experience.

CDPR clearly delivered.

Most of the changes I've seen so far are related to color grading and particles, most of the assets are the same or better than previous reveals. I don't really see much of a downgrade personally.

DOWN

Banned
Because a bunch of things including earlier versions of this very game look graphically better

Denton

Hmmm few advanced effects are perhaps missing and some of the art direction has shifted but god damn this is the most impressive looking game I have ever played. It surpassed Unity for me, especially considering Unity is prebaked and vastly less complex.
Nice to see CDP will continue improving the PC version though.

MikeDown

Banned
Must have missed out on the ME3 ending.

I pre-ordered a few months before launch, so I new what I was getting. From the 30mins I have played it is still a fun game.

viveks86

Where can I get the ini settings?

Still work in progress but here goes:

[Gameplay/EntityPool]
SpawnedLimit=150
[Hidden]
HasSetup=true
uiVerticalFrameScale=1
uiHorizontalFrameScale=1
[Localization]
SpeechLanguage=EN
TextLanguage=EN
Subtitles=false
[Viewport]
VSync=false
Resolution="2880x1620"
FullScreenMode=2
VSyncThreshold=0
OutputMonitor=-1
[Hud]
MessageModule=false
OnelinersModule=false
ItemInfoModule=false
HudSize=0
QuestsModule=false
BuffsModule=false
ConsoleModule=false
CompanionModule=false
ControlsFeedbackModule=false
[Budget]
cvMaxAllowedLightsShadowTime=1
cvMaxAllowedApexDestroTickedTime=0.2
cvMaxAllowedGrass=30000
cvMaxAllowedDecalsDynamic=10
cvMaxAllowedDynMeshes=104857600
cvMaxAllowedChunksSkinnedTime=2.5
cvMaxAllowedTrianglesSkinned=100000
cvMaxAllowedDecalsSSTime=0.1
cvMaxAllowedLightsShadow=3
TerrainTileMipDataBudget=100
cvMaxAllowedApexTicked=60
cvMaxAllowedActiveEnvProbesTime=0.1
cvMaxAllowedStatTextures=314572800
cvMaxAllowedSpeedTree=5000
cvMaxAllowedLightsNonShadowsTime=0.2
cvMaxAllowedSpeedTreeTime=2.2
cvMaxAllowedChunksStatic=1500
cvMaxAllowedTrianglesStatic=500000
cvMaxAllowedHiresChunks=25
cvMaxAllowedDecalsDynamicTime=0.5
cvMaxAllowedLightsNonShadows=40
cvMaxAllowedChunksStaticTime=1.5
cvMaxAllowedChunksSkinned=400
cvMaxAllowedApexDestroTicked=20
cvMaxAllowedStatMeshes=209715200
TerrainTileMinTimeout=2
cvMaxAllowedHiresChunksTime=0.2
cvMaxAllowedApexTickedTime=0.5
cvMaxAllowedCharTextures=209715200
cvMaxAllowedParticlesCountTime=0.2
cvMaxAllowedParticlesCount=1000
cvMaxAllowedGrassTime=1.5
TerrainTileTimeout=10
OcclusionQueryAdditionalMemory=5
TerrainTileLoadingTimeout=5
cvMaxAllowedDecalsSS=160
[Audio]
SoundVolume=90
MusicVolume=90
Subtitles=true
[LoadingScreen/TCR]
ShowProgress=true
[Game]
DoNotPauseWhileStopped=false
[PostProcess]
AllowChromaticAberration=false
MotionBlurPositionTreshold=0.05
MotionBlurRotationTreshold=1
AllowMotionBlur=false
AllowAntialias=false
SSAOSolution=2
AllowBlur=false
AllowFog=false
[Input]
PadVibrationEnabled=true
KeyboardCooldownSpeed=0.1
InvertCameraXOnMouse=false
InvertCameraYOnMouse=false
CameraAutoRotX=true
InvertCameraX=false
UIMouseSensitivity=1
CameraAutoRotY=true
RightStickCameraSensitivity=1.2551
InvertCameraY=true
RightStickAimSensitivity=1.2551
MouseSensitivity=1
[Gameplay]
Difficulty=0
[LevelOfDetail]
SwarmHideDistance=200
DecalsHideDistance=80
DimmerHideDistance=60
DynamicDecalsHideDistance=20
StripeHideDistance=60
[General]
ConfigVersion=1
[LoadingScreen/Editor]
Disabled=false
[LoadingOverlay/TCR]
FadeOutCooldownExtraTime=1
FadeInSpinnerTime=1
NoninteractiveSpinnerTime=3
FadeOutSpinnerTime=1
NoninteractiveEndCooldown=1
[Visuals]
InventoryBgColorScaleB=0.036
InventoryFixedLuminance=0.25
InventoryBgColorScaleG=0.034
MovieFramerate=30
GammaValue=1
InventoryBgColorScaleR=0.02
[Rendering]
GrassDensity=3000
DecalsSpawnDistanceCutoff=10
TextureStreamingHeadsDistanceLimit=10
GlobalOceanTesselationFactor=64
TextureStreamingCharacterDistanceLimit=50
CascadeShadowFadeTreshold=1
CascadeShadowDistanceScale2=2
TextureStreamingDistanceLimit=40000
TextureMemoryBudget=800
CascadeShadowDistanceScale3=3
ScaleformTextureUnstreamDelay=2.5
DecalsChance=1
MeshRenderingDistanceScale=1.5f
MeshLODDistanceScale=1.5f
TerrainReadAheadDistance=400.0f
HairWorksLevel=2
HairWorksAALevel=2
TerrainScreenSpaceErrorThreshold=1.6
MaxTerrainShadowAtlasCount=4
TextureInFlightCountBudget=12
TerrainErrorMetricMultiplier=6
CascadeShadowmapSize=3072
CascadeShadowDistanceScale0=1
CascadeShadowQuality=4
CascadeShadowDistanceScale1=1.5
[Input/Gestures]
EnableSwipe=true
EnablePan=true
EnableGestures=true
EnablePinch=true
[LoadingScreen]
FadeInTime=3
SkipShowWithAnyKey=true
GameRevealTime=3
SkipHideDelay=3
SkipInputDelay=0.25
FadeOutTime=1.5
SkipAutoshow=false
[Engine]
LimitFPS=0
[Rendering/SpeedTree]
GrassGenerationEfficiency=0.001
GrassDistanceScale=2.4
FoliageDistanceScale=4
FoliageShadowDistanceScale=54
GrassRingSize=16777216
[Save]
ShowCompatWarning=true
[Kinect]
Kinect=true
[Foliage]
MaxVisibilityDepth=24

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Most of the changes I've seen so far are related to color grading and particles, most of the assets are the same or better than previous reveals. I don't really see much of a downgrade personally.

CDPR clearly delivered.

It's not "just" color and particles.. again refresh your memories
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqQ3LeBgGDM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ_G6XiHoUA

2013 version is a generation a head of 2015 final version, pre-downgrade animations and how everything moves in the background, all effect, the quality of models and textures are all better than we got in the downgraded version.

it's a massive downgrade in almost everything.

Hmmm few advanced effects are perhaps missing and some of the art direction has shifted but god damn this is the most impressive looking game I have ever played. It surpassed Unity for me, especially considering Unity is prebaked and vastly less complex.
Nice to see CDP will continue improving the PC version though.

not a few effects. a shit tons of downgrade and it look nothing like the early full of lies version.

but I thought last time you said you don't care.

I don't need to, I know those trailers by heart and I don't give a shit, going to be playing amazing game in 7 hours that also happens one of the best looking ones on the market, even if it looks slightly worse than those trailers.

Trace

Banned

2013 version is a generation a head of 2015 final version, pre-downgrade animations and how everything moves in the background, all effect, the quality of models and textures are all better than we got in the downgraded version.

not a few effects. a shit tons of downgrade and it look nothing like the early full of lies version.

0:30-0:50 in the debut trailer looks substantially worse than what we have now.

Denton

Exaggerate harder please.

First of all, the folks calling The Witcher 3's graphics "mediocre" or "average" are crazy. The game's still one of the best-looking games out there. It's just not the "next Crysis" that some folks were wanting.

Anyway, I still think this whole thing could have been easily avoided. All they had to do was:

1) Show the 2013 VGX vertical slice and make it CLEAR that the footage is early and may not be visually representative of the final product.
2) Once the downgraded videos surfaced in 2014, be up-front and honestly acknowledge the downgrade. Yes, there would have still been some backlash, but not much. The issue would have been put to bed quick.

-- or --

1) Not show the 2013 vertical slice at all.
2) Don't show ANY footage until you are confident that it is reasonably representative of the final product. That is what Bethesda and Rockstar do. That said...CDPR does not have the huge resources or long track record of those other companies...and thus showing early vertical slices of an upcoming product may have been necessary to help secure additional funding/investment or staff or whatever.

---

I also question Iwinski's claim that TW3 couldn't have been done if it was a PC exclusive. (That may be true if it were a permanent PC exclusive...but hardly anyone was asking for that.) First of all, I'm sure they turned a VERY nice profit from their 5-8 million sales of The Witcher 2, even taking deep Steam discounts into account. Secondly, all they had to do was approach TW3's development the same way they approached TW2. Just make it a timed exclusive. Devote their full 200-person team to the PC version, and then devote a much smaller team of 20-30 people to porting it to the consoles for release 9-12 months later, while the rest of the studio works on (a) the TW3 expansions and (b) Cyberpunk 2077. Or save the console versions for the "enhanced edition", with all expansions included. They may have had to be a bit less aggressive with their marketing but not by much. Doing it this way may take a bit longer to turn a profit, but in the long run CDPR would have still made serious bank.

I also think that by approaching development this way...the game wouldn't have seen as many delays. It's quite probable that it would have been completed and polished up by Nov/Dec 2014 and released in February 2015 (to give it space away from Dragon Age: Inquisition). I also think the game would have been released with fewer bugs and issues on Day 1.

CDPR may have bitten off a bit more than they could chew with the way they approached the production of this game. That said, their post-launch support has historically been very good.

That seems to me like CDPR still suffers from a certain level of inexperience when it comes to advertising and presenting its games along with developing them. This is the first truly AAA game the studio has ever made, the second console game it has ever made, and the third game it has ever made period. It's the same reason the combat sucked in the first two games.

Part of the reason people like CDPR so much is because it's quite disconnected from the EAs and Ubisofts of the world and the way they operate, which makes it seem more humble. That's a double-edged sword though, because CDPR's lack of experience in certain matters compared to EA or Ubisoft probably makes it more likely to slip up with things like this -- showing off an open world game before they actually have it running in an open world.

Agreed on their inexperience. They still make "rookie" errors. Not just with the way they handled TW3, but also with the way they handled GOG, the way they talk about DRM, etc.

There's a reason why some people get a "marketing ploy" vibe from CDP/CDPR's whole pro-consumer stance.

CDPR and their parent (CDP) may have gotten big and popular a bit too quickly, and struggled to keep up with the heightened business and consumer expectations that come with that. Especially these days, with many gamers unhappy with the current state of the AAA videogame industry.

Let's just hope they learn the right lessons and don't turn into the Polish version of EA or Ubi.

One of the things Bethseda does better then most studios, wait long into development until you announced your game and know the core game is actually playable and what it will look like.

More studios need to stop with the vertical slices of a game that is in no way shape or form a full functioning game and labeling it as "in-game," yet and they have 0 idea if it will work or not work.

If they advertised that trialer as "target render" no one would be too upset, they could have simply told the truth as the game got closer to release about it not working as well and having ot change things.

Yes. It is that simple.

"Work in Progress" may have been fine for the E3 2014 video, but clearer language would have been needed for the 2013 video. Also, when something is declared as "in-game" and NOT a tech demo...people generally expect that the final product will look like that, or very close to it.

AmyS

Just woke up, hadn't read anything since early yesterday morning.

Three days after I arrive in Poland to see CD Projekt, I sit down with company co-founder Marcin Iwinski, studio head Adam Badowski and global communications manager Michal Platkow-Gilewski, for a meeting called specifically to address this issue. It's been a busy week and for one reason or another it's taken until now to face this head on.

Why did the graphics change?

"If you're looking at the development process," Iwinski begins, "we do a certain build for a tradeshow and you pack it, it works, it looks amazing. And you are extremely far away from completing the game. Then you put it in the open-world, regardless of the platform, and it's like 'oh shit, it doesn't really work'. We've already showed it, now we have to make it work. And then we try to make it work on a huge scale. This is the nature of games development."

It was captured PC footage, not pre-rendered, Badowski confirms, but a lot had to change. "I cannot argue - if people see changes, we cannot argue," Adam Badowski says, "but there are complex technical reasons behind it.

"Maybe it was our bad decision to change the rendering system," he mulls, "because the rendering system after VGX was changed." There were two possible rendering systems but one won out because it looked nicer across the whole world, in daytime and at night. The other would have required lots of dynamic lighting "and with such a huge world simply didn't work".

Renekton

"If the consoles are not involved there is no Witcher 3 as it is," answers Marcin Iwinski, definitively. "We can lay it out that simply. We just cannot afford it, because consoles allow us to go higher in terms of the possible or achievable sales; have a higher budget for the game, and invest it all into developing this huge, gigantic world.

"Developing only for the PC: yes, probably we could get more [in terms of graphics] as there would be nothing else - they would be so focused, like if we would develop only on Xbox One or PlayStation 4. But then we cannot afford such a game."
I guess that answers the question.

So far only Star Citizen has this luxury.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom