• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 downgrade arguments in here and nowhere else

Status
Not open for further replies.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Guys, I'd strongly advise to take that website with a humongous grain of salt. It's the kind of unverifiable rumor that gets people banned if they do it directly on GAF. It reads like it's specifically checking off every item in the list that would reinforce our worst fears. Classic rumor mongering technique. Don't let it get to you. We will have the facts soon enough.
The before and after pictures pretty much tell the exact same story.

Derp

I think most pc gamers will know what's up. Some are already fucking angsty about not having the pc versions reviewed early. You know there is some foul shit going on when even magazines like pc gamer are reviewing the the PS4 version...
The reason I said that though is because, if you look at the PC Ultra gameplay on YouTube, not a single person suspects a downgrade. Of course if you were to actually show them comparisons then they'd realize but to them it's just "oh this looks really good... Not as good as i thought it would be though". The issue is they have no reason to even suspect a downgrade especially after they were promised by CDPR that there wouldn't be one.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Guys, I'd strongly advise to take that website with a humongous grain of salt. It's the kind of unverifiable rumor that gets people banned if they do it directly on GAF. It reads like it's specifically checking off every item in the list that would reinforce our worst fears. Classic rumor mongering technique. Don't let it get to you. We will have the facts soon enough.

One interesting thing of note is the other day a CDPR dev said that the blood splatter missing was a bug and that it was being patched for day 1.

Now unsure if that only includes the ground splatter, or the water splatter. But if it includes the water splatter that would seem to disprove this rumor.

cripterion

I know, but just a few days ago I was specifically talking to a buddy of mine about the Nvidia trailer, about the forward lit particules comparison and how we haven't seen any of that in a loooong time.

Of course I don't want this to be true.

The reason I said that though is because, if you look at the PC Ultra gameplay on YouTube, not a single person suspects a downgrade. Of course if you were to actually show them comparisons then they'd realize but to them it's just "oh this looks really good... Not as good as i thought it would be though". The issue is they have no reason to even suspect a downgrade especially after they were promised by CDPR that there wouldn't be one.

Hmm perhaps, but just looking at their official forums, several threads that are about downgrades and visual expectation gets locked so I do believe more know about it but everything gets lots in the euphoria of pre-release hype.

viveks86

I'm not going to waste time on a back and forth about downgrades. I'll reserve judgment till launch (though I've already said I have the same suspicions as many here). Just asking people not to leave common sense at the door because <insert random website> makes an article with unverifiable sources. We've been through this too many times to know better.

Corpekata

Banned
If it were just wanting to rile things up they probably would not have gotten as technical as they did. Most people probably only know what like 1 of those bullet points mean. If they wanted to stoke the fires they would've kept it simpler and talked about like textures, AF, etc.

MaLDo

My bet is the info is legit.

Derp

But we have the facts. We have gameplay. We have footage. We have comparisons. Everythng listed by that "rumor" perfectly ties up with what we've seen. We don't even need an insider to realize that these things were changed.

MaLDo

No tesselated water in storm weather is a real fucking shame.

They used the same water shader as Morrowind 13 years ago for waves simulation. Incredible.

It sounds possible but the website is shady as hell, "what if gaming" sounds like a video gaming conspiracy site. There is nothing else on the site except movie reviews, and there are no other sites reporting this. Why would someone that familiar with the development of the witcher 3, obviously someone employed there, give information like this to such a random and obscure site. The site claims to have a team but it obviously looks like it's ran by one guy in a basement.

Tworak

looks pretty legit to me from what I've seen in videos. it's pretty obvious in the stuff we've seen that the game has been massively downgraded.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
The re-release of Dark Souls 2 stills doesn't have the lighting pre-downgrade.

yup.

and in Witcher 1 case EE was because of how bad the original vanilla was and also it was only on PC, Witcher 2 EE was them changing stuff for the 360 release. this time it's a simultaneous release for three systems and they have a big game in development already (cyberpunk) so don't think here will be a EE version this time.

Unfortunately we don't have anything better beside SS compassion for now. CDPR would never go public and admit if/that they downgraded game.

right now I'm just hoping for Anaxymenes (gaffer who told us about this downgrade back in 2014) to come and share some more info about the reasons why CDPR downgraded the game.

Not sure if already posted, but another comparison video (german):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkQ_moS4tTg

Comparison proper starts at around 2:30.

Man, definite downgrade.

EDIT: Man, the comments on that video Just a bunch of console gamers in denial.

How is that a downgrade? Its Ps4 vs. PC.
We should wait for footage of the final PC version and compared that to prereleased footage and then look for a downgrade.
But here all the differences could be the usual differences between Ps4 and PC version.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
One interesting thing of note is the other day a CDPR dev said that the blood splatter missing was a bug and that it was being patched for day 1.

Now unsure if that only includes the ground splatter, or the water splatter. But if it includes the water splatter that would seem to disprove this rumor.
Even if that article came from a butt, it seems like the lighting, smoke, fog, foliage, particles, and tesselation all took a major hit compared to the initial screenshots and videos.

Or maybe they signed an agreement not to advertise the PC's improvements in those areas. Which would be rather odd, considering the Nvidia deal.

viveks86

But we have the facts. We have gameplay. We have footage. We have comparisons. Everythng listed by that "rumor" perfectly ties up with what we've seen. We don't even need an insider to realize that these things were changed.

Have no further comments. I have no vested interest here to start arguing one way or the other. I've barely commented directly on the downgrade issue and would like to maintain that status quo until launch.

ryanthelion123

Neo Member
It sucks, I think if the graphics and atmosphere were the same as the original video then it truly would be considered one of the greatest games of all time. (I know its early to say this, but this game seemingly has everything but lacking on graphics department). I wish they released this game on PC by itself, and garner high critic scores. Then release a year later for PS4 XOne with scaled back presentation.

cripterion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SpPqXdzl7g

I know not all of the tech is proprietary to Nvidia but shouldn't they able to confirm wether or not it's still in?

Here's more recent footage we got from Nvidia/Witcher 3 behind the scenes :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfGFU2XPLr4

Notice at 1:47 we still see the amazing footage being advertised which is actually kinda jarring when we have more recent footage mixed in that doesn't hold up to it.

I'm fucking going nuts over this : if they've been hiding that ultra version all this time and we get this on pc at release with the patches and all, holy shit. If that amazing version is gone and scrapped, then I really have no words.
Also yeah, the website claiming "the interview" looks suspect as hell.

Lol the timing of that article being posted with what I said a few pages back, can't make this shit up. Really sucks they couldn't focus on PC version first as others said and then port down, but budget does make the most sense, especially when you've got another game like Cyberpunk in the oven too. I shudder to think of the possible compromises that game might see from what their original vision for it was :/

dex3108

Well i guess we will have our answers next week. But still i would love to see official statement from CDPR if game is downgraded.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Lol the timing of that article being posted with what I said a few pages back, can't make this shit up. Really sucks they couldn't focus on PC version first as others said and then port down, but budget does make the most sense, especially when you've got another game like Cyberpunk in the oven too. I shudder to think of the possible compromises that game might see from what their original vision for it was :/

the weird thing for me is that they already made (and spent money on) the higher quality textures, effect and asset as shown in the 2013 build. so it's not a budget issue since they already have that ready before they remove it.

Kaze2212

the weird thing for me is that they already made (and spent money on) the higher quality textures, effect and asset as shown in the 2013 build. so it's not a budget issue since they already have that ready before they remove it.

Well, for 10% of the world or something.

BigTnaples

I know not all of the tech is proprietary to Nvidia but shouldn't they able to confirm wether or not it's still in?

Notice at 1:47 we still see the amazing footage being advertised which is actually kinda jarring when we have more recent footage mixed in that doesn't hold up to it.

I'm fucking going nuts over this : if they've been hiding that ultra version all this time and we get this on pc at release with the patches and all, holy shit. If that amazing version is gone and scrapped, then I really have no words.

Yeah, that is kind of shady since that video was posted less than a month away from release and still shows tessellated water in stormy weather, volume based translucency in all its full precision glory, etc.

We will know for certain in a week. We know that water tessellation factors up to 16x are still in the .ini files, but that still could be separate from the actual water simulation.

Really would like to hear some word from CDPR. Really hope we get some of this back when the EE releases. DX12 included.

Nzyme32

The smart move would be to update the game with dx12 and Vulgar support later on, with the effects put back in - almost assuredly getting them a second wind of sales

The smart move would be to update the game with dx12 and Vulgar support later on, with the effects put back in - almost assuredly getting them a second wind of sales

This is what I have in mind for them if they ever want to do that Enhanced Edition tradition.

But my bet is there will be none as all their manpower will be poured into 2077.

Sanctuary

Do you not know how developement works? They showed off their initial tech, they didn't show off the entire game.

cripterion

This is what I have in mind for them if they ever want to do that Enhanced Edition tradition.

But my bet is there will be none as all their manpower will be poured into 2077.

They still have to do the additional content for Witcher 3.

Enhanced Edition, DX12 version, looks like early trailer, coming in 2016?
And it'll be free upgrade just like the previous games.

Frankly you guys seem so sure about an enhanced edition but I don't see it for this title, well at least not to the extent of putting DX12 support. Maybe for Cyberpunk 2077...
In my opinion we're more likely to get a GOTY edition once they have their expansions packs and all the DLC is out.

BigTnaples

They still have to do the additional content for Witcher 3. Frankly you guys seem so sure about an enhanced edition but I don't see it for this title, well at least not to the extent of putting DX12 support. Maybe for Cyberpunk 2077...

In my opinion we're more likely to get a GOTY edition once they have their expansions packs and all the DLC is out.

They have always done it, why not for this title as well. Would be odd if they didn't. Or are you implying that they "sold out" because Wild Hunt is successful?

Bl@de

And again weak peasant consoles stand in the way of the glorious pc master race :(

jk. My PC wouldn't make the settings anyway. People can hope for mods

Nabbis

How the hell can they use an approach where you cant scale LOD. Its a open-world game... The only explanation would be that the development was made with mostly consoles as the priority.

The sad thing is that this firm portrays themselves as some pc saving enterprise.

cripterion

They have always done it, why not for this title as well. Would be odd if they didn't. Or are you implying that they "sold out" because Wild Hunt is successful?

No, just that they weren't doing as much before as they seem to be doing now.
We already know they're doing the free DLC releases every week, they have to get working on the expansions. All that + Cyberpunk 2077.

MaLDo

CDPR has taken the first step on the tech path that took Crytek with Crysis 2. I know the game quality is nothing alike but whatever. Good luck.

Shredderi

If that interview is true then very disappointing as that would be a lot of features cut. Fuck parity. I wish the current-gen consoles were more powerful and wouldn't struggle so much this early into the gen. Taking this with a grain of salt, but not as much as with the claim that there has been no downgrade.

Corpekata

Banned
CDPR has taken the first step on the tech path that took Crytek with Crysis 2. I know the game quality is nothing alike but whatever. Good luck.

So that means you're going to mod it to look a lot better too, right?

RIght?

Get back here! Don't go!

Frankly you guys seem so sure about an enhanced edition but I don't see it for this title, well at least not to the extent of putting DX12 support. Maybe for Cyberpunk 2077...

Yeah, DX12 for Witcher 3 is still a rumor.

BigTnaples

No, just that they weren't doing as much before as they seem to be doing now.
We already know they're doing the free DLC releases every week, they have to get working on the expansions. All that + Cyberpunk 2077.

They also have more resources than ever before. With 1 million preorders, and now 9/10 reviews across the board, this game is going to sell an astronomical amount. They will have the money and resources to put out more content than ever before.

They managed TW2 EE along side a 360 port and development of The Wild Hunt all at the same time with a fraction of the resources and not to mention, demand that The Wild Hunt will.

martino

All those pre spec console reveal game vision donwgrade tells a lot about reality of current generation...

There a lot of choice to blame here at every level.
(going parity for cdproject, specs for current gen)

It seems they fall to the bad console practices instead of bringing the good things they have done before coming there.it's sad if confirmed

Yeah. What I would really love to know is if these cases of downgrades like Watchdogs are due to actual development issues or if they are just a case of executives or developers not wanting different platforms to be different in fear of fanboy backlash. I guess what I'm asking is this: In the hypothetical case that Watchdogs on consoles looked like it does now and Watchdogs on (powerful) PCs looked like the reveal trailer, would owners of that game on console be upset? Would there be backlash against the developers for providing a 'crap' console version? If so, I may not agree with CD Projekt's decision but I certainly understand it.

When they were creating those 2012/2013 assets with the crazy draw distances and tons of AI, getting all of it run on tablet cpus and a gpu that struggles with a standard res like 1080p probably never crossed their minds.

cripterion

They also have more resources than ever before. With 1 million preorders, and now 9/10 reviews across the board, this game is going to sell an astronomical amount. They will have the money and resources to put out more content than ever before.

They managed TW2 EE along side a 360 port and development of The Wild Hunt all at the same time with a fraction of the resources and not to mention, demand that The Wild Hunt will.

Yeah I guess we'll see, I wasn't implying they sold out just taking a look at this made it seem they had a lot more on their plate.

Previous enhanced versions included new npc models, animations, quests, CGI intro and outro, tutorial. This game seems to have it all from the get go, additional content will come in the form of DLC and expansions pack and fixes in the form of patches so I don't see what could they be doing with an enhanced edition.

Well...Crysis crushed even the highest end systems when it launched, so that wouldn't necessarily go down well now as well. Crysis 2 seemed less ambitious in every way.

Still, overall, this seems like the oppositie. This far more ambitious in almost every conceivable way than Witcher 2. The fact that it looks better and is in a massive world (where even asset density seems to be better), is pretty impressive.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
When they were creating those 2012/2013 assets with the crazy draw distances and tons of AI, getting all of it run on tablet cpus and a gpu that struggles with a standard res like 1080p probably never crossed their minds.

but low end PC rigs users can lower the settings like most of other games, why downgrading the entire thing for all the users?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
a downgrade from a pre-console spec ideal version is hardly a crime, but why bother hiding it pre-release?

Bl@de

In the hypothetical case that Watchdogs on consoles looked like it does now and Watchdogs on (powerful) PCs looked like the reveal trailer, would owners of that game on console be upset? Would there be backlash against the developers for providing a 'crap' console version? If so, I may not agree with CD Projekt's decision but I certainly understand it.

Of course there would be a backlash. Fanboys would scream "lazy devs don't optimize for consoles". No matter what a developer does. There is always backlash.

The fact remains: The PS4 is a 1.81TF console with a notebook CPU. You can't perform miracles on that. People should accept that sooner than later because the consoles are going to be around for a while.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
but low end PC rigs users can lower the settings like most of other games, why downgrading the entire thing for all the users?

Probably to apply that work to the content of the game, or because when they realized they had to cut it down for consoles there was no financial benefit to continue implementing the most taxing features.

Here's hoping the PC version at "Ultra" comes close to previews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom