• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 downgrade arguments in here and nowhere else

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebloo

Except it's not a PR shot. These are directly generated by the devs and posted on forums and twitter. It probably goes through some level of approval, but it isn't really vetted in the classic PR sense. That's why it doesn't show up on their website or promo material.

Come on, that's naive. They don't even let people play with mouse and keyboard, they're not gonna just let their own employees post pictures without them being vetted. The PR campaign consisted of 3 medium-long CGI trailers, one of them being super expensive, 2 TV adverts, one of them again CGI and other gameplay trailers. Loads of money were spent, no way those shots weren't vetted.

kaskade

You're in the same room as him? Or are you guessing that's how he drew that conclusion?
Either way, it's not a particularly good way of comparing.

Oh I know it's not the best as I said, I'll probably end up with the PC version. It's just kind of sad to me how similar they do seem just from the videos/screens. I would've expected a bigger jump in gfx quality.

viveks86

Come on, that's naive. They don't even let people play with mouse and keyboard, they're not gonna just let their own employees post pictures without them being vetted. The PR campaign consisted of 3 medium-long CGI trailers, one of them being super expensive, 2 TV adverts, one of them again CGI and other gameplay trailers. Loads of money were spent, no way those shots weren't vetted.

Hmmm… Can't really prove either way, so I have nothing more to add

I'm mad they did next to nothing to set the PC version apart. They could have given the PC version excellent treatment like Rockstar did when they finally released GTA5 PC (the delays worked out in the end)

I pre ordered the game mostly because of those early 2013 hype trailers and insane graphics they showed off. Why I didnt learn my lesson, I do not know. CDPR deserved flak for being turning their back on what made them relevant in the first place. The PC user base.

And to top it all off they LIE about it, and claim no downgrade! Look at the comparison gifs. 80% reduction in crowd density.....

UnrealEck

Oh I know it's not the best as I said, I'll probably end up with the PC version. It's just kind of sad to me how similar they do seem just from the videos/screens. I would've expected a bigger jump in gfx quality.

I'm sure it would have been a bigger jump if they hadn't downgraded the graphics and implemented things like full hardware PhysX. It's crazy how they've remained adamant that they haven't downgraded things too. If this were Ubisoft people all over the internet would be absolutely shitting on them for it.
At least on top of the rather underwhelming graphical advantages of the PC version outside of resolution, at least it has the potential to run at a significantly higher and more consistent framerate.

I see about 10 hours of fiddling in settings, at least.

One of my favourite parts of getting a new game.

etta

my hard graphic balls
image_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt-28293-2651_0004.jpg

This one looks goddamn glorious. Yes, the grass needs some AO/Shadows, but there's just something about it that screams gorgeous. It feels like I am right there when I look at it.

thebloo

This one looks goddamn glorious. Yes, the grass needs some AO/Shadows, but there's just something about it that screams gorgeous. It feels like I am right there when I look at it.

It's the top half of the image. Scroll so the bottom isn't visible anymore and it's gorgeous.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I'm mad they did next to nothing to set the PC version apart. They could have given the PC version excellent treatment like Rockstar did when they finally released GTA5 PC (the delays worked out in the end)

I pre ordered the game mostly because of those early 2013 hype trailers and insane graphics they showed off. Why I didnt learn my lesson, I do not know. CDPR deserved flak for being turning their back on what made them relevant in the first place. The PC userbase.

it's just really sad, even Ubi (with a "ubi don't care for PC reputation) and EA have PC version without delay and got better quality textures and assets in them, and it's not only for big publishers even smaller ones do have better quality for PC version like IO Interactive Hitman port and Deck13 (even United Front Games got us a free HD pack) so yeah CDPR just didn't care.

UnrealEck

*looks back at PS4/PC comparison*
Oh shit, I didn't notice that. Must'a been the slightly different camera angle. So the PC version has somewhat higher draw distance and, er, stuff density.

You can see LOD differences in multiple scenes. Even in the closer ranges, like the scene where Geralt's standing at the docks.

I'm trying to reserve judgement of comparing two different platforms running the game until I get the game on my machine. Then, I'll do my own comparisons using screenshots.

Looks like the game will scale well. It's obvious HBAO was disabled in "Ultra" media content released by CDPR to give the illusion of parity.

PCGH (German) are doing a gradual tech-review. http://www.pcgameshardware.de/The-Witcher-3-PC-237266/Specials/Technik-Test-1158845/

Some bullet points:
  • Performance is "very good", regardless if you're using Radeon-GPUs or Nvidia-GPUs.
    [*]GTX 770 or R9 280X are sufficient for Ultra Settings @ FullHD
    [*]2 GiByte VRAM is enough for the (still very good and diverse) Max Textures.
  • Config File lets you tweak the game extensively, like Distance Scaling (I know some of you were worried) and higher res shadows.
  • Every thread is getting some love. So get your 6 cores out ;). Still, the game is playable with just 4 cores @ 2GHz.

I assume this means at a locked 30 FPS.

cryphicking

Neo Member
Well, 60 FPS, higher resolutions, better IQ, hairworks, HBAO+.. all of these things make the PC version decidedly superior to the PS4 (but no surprise there when a GTX 750ti is mopping the floor with it).

I guess some people wanted more.

Sorry to info you, none of what you mentioned are voodoo magics, none of them even come close to change the technology foundation of the game to offer that "decidedly superiority " as you imaged it would, most casual gamers don't even know how to spot AO, only few google experts can tell SSAO and HABO+ apart(console always adapt their own customized AO/AA algorithm) Plus, you seem to forget, only 5% PC gamers around the world able to have the luxury for "higher resolution" and "60fps" on their PC, hairwork and HBAO+? sorry, AMD users going to miss as much. 750Ti failed to follow up on most recent released titles, plus gaming on PC require alot more than just a GPU, the latest budget gaming PC you need to buy every year is not going to work to regular consumers, gaming on PC doesn't work like this, never was and never will..

When people talk about "decidedly graphic superiority", BF3 PC max setting vs 360 version being the one of the few titles to deliver , none of the next gen games I experienced on PC and PS4 so far offered any significant difference. And some of the most graphically impressive games to the date happen to be console exclusive.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This is good work on their part.

You can see that, on PS4 with the reduced draw distance, the scene still looks good on its own.

Yet, with more power on the PC, you can expand the distance and increase the density further enhancing the visuals.

PnCIa

Okay...there is no MSAA option. Fuck them.
Seriously, this is a game with tons of foliage, it literally screams for a good AA solution. Even GTA has it, Assassin's Creed has it too ( and thats from Ubisoft!).
I am stunned really. Thats not what i would call good PC support. Like some shiny hair is more important than image quality.

dark10x

Seriously, this is a game with tons of foliage, it literally screams for a good AA solution. Even GTA has it, Assassin's Creed has it too ( and thats from Ubisoft!).
I am stunned really. Thats not what i would call good PC support. Like some shiny hair is more important than image quality.
Standard MSAA is terrible for foliage, though.

GeekMarty

Do they say what CPU? I have a 280x.

Again, various benchmarks will be released after launch.

But they did say:
"Assuming you have a somewhat current quad-core at around 3 GHz and a good middle-class GPU with 2 GiByte memory, you can look forward to not only the best looking version of The Witcher 3, but also to the most fluid according to our findings. Kudos, CD Projekt."

dark10x

I am talking about AtoC for example. Or a good TXAA implementation.
I can agree with that. For the time being, you're pretty much limited to downsampling but, since I'm already using a 1440p display, I don't think I have the muscle to push it beyond that. :\

PnCIa

These days, I usually go for downsampling (mostly 1440p/sometimes 4K to FullHD) combined with a forced SMAA solution. Always superior to TXAA and current MSAA implementations.
Good luck trying to maintain a good framerate with max details on any even remotely affordable GPU though, SMAA can be somewhat taxing.

Also, SMAA doesnt fight foliage aliasing nearly as well as a hardware solution.

Derp

Wait what? Then how do we remove aliasing? Is there some kind of AA solution? FXAA? Wat? Now I'm actually confused.

If this is true then I'm playing at 4k 10fps PowerPoint Slideshow Teknology™. RIP in pieces aliasing. Whatcha gonna do now.

Give me smooth edges or give me death.

Again, various benchmarks will be released after launch.

But they did say:

Interesting. This was the game I was going to use as an excuse to upgrade my 680, but I am still at 1080p and nothing coming out is really screaming at me to upgrade. It is a little sad but at least my wallet is happy that I can still play newer titles pretty close to max settings. At this point in time it seems more logical to spend most of my budget on a new 1440p G-sync monitor before I even think about upgrading my card.

GeekMarty

Good luck trying to maintain a good framerate with max details on any even remotely affordable GPU though, SMAA can be somewhat taxing.

Thank you, it's going great so far. But you are right. I forgot to mention that I'm using FXAA instead in more recent titles. At higher resolutions you mostly can't even tell that it's more blurry.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
PC Games Hardware made a good PC/PS4 comparison video. The console versions really turned out better than I expected and I'm hearing people with early versions of the game report improvements between the unpatched and patched performance. CDPR did a good job porting it. I figured this vid would be most relevant to people in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cn-ekHLqEY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom