• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 downgrade arguments in here and nowhere else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derp

1920 x 2 is 3840
1080 x 2 is 2160
4k is 3840x2160 so it's 2x
You're effectively multiplying by 4. Resolution is the product of two dimensions.

1920x1080 gives you the resolution (so pixel count), and If you multiply that number by 4 you get 4k. What you wrote was basically 1920x1080x2x2.

Think of a giant rectangle being 4k. One quarter of that rectangle is 1080p.

Prodigal

Banned
That's not how that works. But nice try.

1920x1080 = 2 megapixels.
3840x2160 = 8.2 megapixels.

4 times the resolution.

2560x1440 = 3.6 megapixels, or about twice the resolution.

Even if we were tlaking purely about horizontla and verticla resolutions, you'd still be wrong, as you're only working with two dimensions. 1920x1080 fits 4 TIMES in 3840 x 2160.

Math, guys. Learn it, Use it!

3385870.gif

I dont normally care about stuff like this at all...but I bought a 970 the other day specifically for this game(I guess Arkham knight too in the foreseeable future). I could have only spent like 60 dollars and bought it on ps4 for a pretty close result.

I dont normally care about stuff like this at all...but I bought a 970 the other day specifically for this game(I guess Arkham knight too in the foreseeable future). I could have only spent like 60 dollars and bought it on ps4 for a pretty close result.

at half the framerate
a 970 is always going to give you a better looking and performing game - it's not a bad investment if you're getting into pc gaming

ISee

60 fps?

Well, there it is. You are a Genio.

ah come on. enough people already showed him, that he made a fool of himself. happens to the best of us, sometimes.

Kinthalis

Banned

60 FPS >>>>> 30 FPS and that's 30 FPS WITH DROPS according to people playing even with the 1.1 patch.

Also, Batman appears to feature even more Nvdia tech over consoles than this game, also probably runnign at 30 FPS with drops on consoles.

On top of that you've got modding to look forard to, AND it's not like the PC is going to let oyu down in terms of a gmaing library.

You didn't make a bad decision here. You made the smart one. Stop letting one game that doesn't look, what, miles ahead of the PS4, let you down. Those games won't be hitting PC for tleast another year.

However, GOOD games than run betetr and look a bit better on PC hit eveyr other week.

You're forgetting about framerate

at half the framerate
a 970 is always going to give you a better looking and performing game - it's not a bad investment if you're getting into pc gaming

60 FPS >>>>> 30 FPS and that's 30 FPS WITH DROPS according to people playing even with the 1.1 patch.

Also, Batman appears to feature even more Nvdia tech over consoles than this game, also probably runnign at 30 FPS with drops on consoles.

On top of that you've got modding to look forard to, AND it's not like the PC is going to let oyu down in terms of a gmaing library.

You didn't make a bad decision here. You made the smart one. Stop letting one game that doesn't look, what, miles ahead of the PS4, let you down. Those games won't be hitting PC for tleast another year.

However, GOOD games than run betetr and look a bit better on PC hit eveyr other week.

yeah, you are right. Its just I was looking so forward to seeing my first astounding looking game on PC first hand. This was and still is my most anticipated game of the year, its just a letdown I guess. I still got a good GPU that will serve me well in the future. Also, I dont really care about frame rate that much...I cap games at 30 when I cant get ultra 60, which is what I was going to do here *runs for cover*

Deadstar

I really hope they seriously didn't go down the parity route on pc for any reason. Their Witcher 2 stance was best, make the best game possible, put it on pc and downgrade it until it runs on consoles. If the downgrade is true on pc this time, then they are making their own game worse by dropping the quality of the pc version when it could have handled better.

It's like a band saying well, we want people who hear the song on radio to be able to hear the same track as the people that buy the cd or download the mp3 so we're going to make all of our songs radio quality on all platforms.

cryphicking

Neo Member
Lol what? Did I mention magic somewhere in my post? Weird.

Apparently , when you calling out rendering tech you barely understand and assumed they will offer that "decidedly superiority" existed only in your fantasy, I afraid you took GPU manufacture's graphic enchantment method for voodoo magic instead in order to empower your silly fanboyism. Maybe AMD users aren't PC gamers after all since they going to miss all Nvidia gamework features like the rest(hairwork, TXAA, HBAO+ etc)

60 FPS better IQ, Hairworks and HBAO+ = objectively superior experience. Sorry to hurt your feelings man. You can't argue with facts.
Facts are as said above, again, the vastly majority PC gamers going to miss out on all that and will have considerably inferior experience compare to their console counterpart. I recommend steam hardware survey
no matter how hard you try to pretend, you are the one sound very angry and frustrated because a game you love will play identically on another platform that cost much less than yours. My advice, a grown man with a stable career shouldn't have trouble to get all platform and never need to get upset about other platform you have no access of.

You can stop right there. I don't give a shit what "most casual" ANYTHING think or do or like. They don't affect anything about me or what I like. Don't see why it should affect anyone in particular, actually. Almost no one on GAF is a "Casual" gamer, not that that it matters much - all that matters is that I'm not one.

To be more specific about "casual ", I was referring to people with little knowledge and training on the field to recognize different AO mythologies such as SSAO, SSDO, HBAO, HBAO+, judging from your comments so far, you are no exception. Fun facts, the name of these AO algorithm hardly matters, no 2 games implement AO the same way, whatever name you call it, it’s largely dependable on other technology in the engine, including all first and third party technology.

HAHAHA... ok, now I know you're just being all sarcastic. No one makes up percentages like this and is serious about what they're talking about.
Good one!
Well, I decide to link steam hardware survey to pull you back to reality. I repeat my previous statement 5%. FYI, Microsoft, EA, Ubi, all have similar tools to survey on gamers' hardware diversity in order to make products for each audience group respectively.
http://i.imgur.com/p7nJ13Q.jpg
I don't think any studios around the world have the interest or resource to build games based on a dozen fanboys' silly fantasies, let along gets pass publishers.

Kaze2212

I really hope they seriously didn't go down the parity route on pc for any reason. Their Witcher 2 stance was best, make the best game possible, put it on pc and downgrade it until it runs on consoles. If the downgrade is true on pc this time, then they are making their own game worse by dropping the quality of the pc version when it could have handled better.

It's like a band saying well, we want people who hear the song on radio to be able to hear the same track as the people that buy the cd or download the mp3 so we're going to make all of our songs radio quality on all platforms.

Well that analogy doesn't work that well. The content of the music is the same, the CD version has better quality. Same goes for the console versions and the PC version with this game. Though I understand what you mean, just wanted to say that the analogy doesn't quite work :p.

Apparently , when you calling out rendering tech you barely understand and assumed they will offer that "decidedly superiority" existed only in your fantasy, I afraid you took GPU manufacture's graphic enchantment method for voodoo magic instead in order to empower your silly fanboyism. Maybe AMD users aren't PC gamers after all since they going to miss all Nvidia gamework features(hairwork, TXAA, HBAO+ etc)

Facts are as said above, again, the vastly majority PC gamers going to miss out on all that and will have considerably inferior experience compare to their console counterpart. I recommend steam hardware survey
no matter how hard you try to pretend, you are the one sound very angry and frustrated because a game you love will play identically on another platform that cost much less than yours. My advice, a grown man with a stable career shouldn't have trouble to get all platform and never need to get upset about other platform you have no access of.

To be more specific about "casual ", I was referring to people with little knowledge and training on the field to recognize different AO mythologies such as SSAO, SSDO, HBAO, HBAO+, judging from your comments so far, you are no exception. Fun facts, the name of these AO algorithm hardly matters, no 2 game implement AO the same way, whatever name you call it, it’s largely dependable on other technology in the engine, including all first and third party technology.

Well, I decide to link steam hardware survey to pull you back to reality. FYI, Microsoft, EA, Ubi, all have similar tools to survey on gamers' hardware diversity in order to make products for each audience group respectively.
I don't think any studios around the world have the interest or resource to build games based on a dozen fanboys' silly fantasies, let along gets pass publishers.

welp
you being a condescending prick to him/pc hardware enthusiasts and the steam hardware survey settle it
end pc gaming fellas its over wrap it up

Deadstar

Well that analogy doesn't work that well. The content of the music is the same, the CD version has better quality. Same goes for the console versions and the PC version with this game. Though I understand what you mean, just wanted to say that the analogy doesn't quite work :p.

I was stretching a little with that analogy but I'm still excited for the game! Can't wait to play it.

Derp

whatever makes you happy... BUT WHY?!
I do the same sometimes :p. My GTA 5 is capped at 30fps for that 4k goodness! Don't tell me you don't like that 4k goodness! Cmon now! Who needs frames when you have pixels, y'know what I mean?!

Yeah I am sick of the word Parity. It only holds back the industry at this point. We should be pushing technology at this point, not holding it back because of a weak link. Some of the stills I have seen look decent but given I am playing The Witcher 2 at 1440p Ultra 60FPS, it makes the Witcher 3 footage I have seen not impress so far.

Apparently , when you calling out rendering tech you barely understand and assumed they will offer that "decidedly superiority" existed only in your fantasy, I afraid you took GPU manufacture's graphic enchantment method for voodoo magic instead in order to empower your silly fanboyism. Maybe AMD users aren't PC gamers after all since they going to miss all Nvidia gamework features like the rest(hairwork, TXAA, HBAO+ etc)

To be more specific about "casual ", I was referring to people with little knowledge and training on the field to recognize different AO mythologies such as SSAO, SSDO, HBAO, HBAO+, judging from your comments so far, you are no exception. Fun facts, the name of these AO algorithm hardly matters, no 2 game implement AO the same way, whatever name you call it, it’s largely dependable on other technology in the engine, including all first and third party technology.

Well, I decide to link steam hardware survey to pull you back to reality. FYI, Microsoft, EA, Ubi, all have similar tools to survey on gamers' hardware diversity in order to make products for each audience group respectively.

Could you be more condescending? And what he was referring to in regards to your previous post is absolutely spot on. I don't know why you have some grudge against PC gamers but it's pretty evident. PS4 version is barely better than the PC? You are in fact objectively wrong. Twice the framerate is a big difference and discounting exclusive PC features doesn't help your argument either. Just give it a rest dude.

ISee

I do the same sometimes :p. My GTA 5 is capped at 30fps for that 4k goodness! Don't tell me you don't like that 4k goodness! Cmon now! Who needs frames when you have pixels, y'know what I mean?!

Jaja :)

I understand that, but if you are able to run a game @4k/60fps you wouldn't cap it to 4k/30fps... but it is his PC and he is allowed to do the hell he wants with it. I am just a bit confused.

Derp

decide to peek in and see how this thread even still exists..

There's no way this is a serious post, right?
Lmao you came into the thread and that's the first post you saw? I'm literally laughing right now.

Jaja :)

I understand that, but if you are able to run a game @4k/60fps you wouldn't cap it to 4k/30fps... but it is his PC and he is allowed to do the hell he wants with it. I am just a bit confused.
No I think he's capping at 30 so he can increase quality to ultra. Not for no reason haha.

ISee

Lmao you came into the thread and that's the first post you saw? I'm literally laughing right now.

No I think he's capping at 30 so he can increase quality to ultra. Not for no reason haha.

Yeah I just reread it... sorry.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Is it possible to openly say whose probably at fault for this or are we still walking on eggshells.

We all know who it is but if people are going to be forced to offer evidence of foul play then no one will say it but I'm pretty confident the developers were the first victim in this case and we the consumers were the second. I just hope people don't take it out on the game. If you know the truth then vote with your wallet and don't buy it on that platform.

I sure hope someone creates a hash tag. We can make our voices heard as a community!

To be more specific about "casual ", I was referring to people with little knowledge and training on the field to recognize different AO mythologies such as SSAO, SSDO, HBAO, HBAO+, judging from your comments so far, you are no exception. Fun facts, the name of these AO algorithm hardly matters, no 2 games implement AO the same way, whatever name you call it, it’s largely dependable on other technology in the engine, including all first and third party technology.

Well, I decide to link steam hardware survey to pull you back to reality. I repeat my previous statement 5%. FYI, Microsoft, EA, Ubi, all have similar tools to survey on gamers' hardware diversity in order to make products for each audience group respectively.

you-went-full-retard-never-go-full-retard.jpg

That video became private ?

Yup it seems to be private now. PC had a better draw distance and there is definitely a small difference in lighting as well it seems. But other than that and the fact that PC will run at twice the framerate and has some exlcusive Nvidia features , the differences aren't as huge as you'd believe.

Derp

That video became private ?
It seems so. Here, I'll help you visualise what was in the video. Imagine the exact same thing duplicated and placed side by side, with small labels at the top that read "PC" and "PS4". That was the video.

I'm very salty

Mifec

That's the flaw of your logic, it doesn't to me, youtube quality is always crappy, and it's also bad form to judge some film's IQ based on youtube trailers.

I don't think they're unbearable or anything, I also use youtube a lot, but you don't have to despise it in order to acknowledge the quality isn't that good.

EDIT: Though I admit I might be in the minority here, I also think Reshade was a mistake, it's nothing but trash, but people seem quite fond of making their games look like console games.

I got you buddy, I feel the same, never used it.

Im pretty sure you can also get it cheaper on PC.

Dmented

Banned
Brutal. Either CDPR are fucking wizards and made a god tier optimization to the ps4 version, making it run on pc ultra settings sans hairworks, or the PC version makes no use of additional features routinely found in pc versions of multiplat games.

If that's the case then the "rumor" that was posted not long ago is correct. That the PC version has no real differences besides things like Hairworks, higher resolution and higher framerate.

Im pretty sure you can also get it cheaper on PC.

He got it for free with the 970 most likely.

cryphicking

Neo Member
Could you be more condescending? And what he was referring to in regards to your previous post is absolutely spot on. I don't know why you have some grudge against PC gamers but it's pretty evident. PS4 version is barely better than the PC? You are in fact objectively wrong. Twice the framerate is a big difference and discounting exclusive PC features doesn't help your argument either. Just give it a rest dude.

No, I don't take side, but I don't appreciate delusional fanboys ruin the thread with their mindless personal agenda. In case you wonder, I will be getting PC version as with most multiples, but I always keep a console copy for observing and learning propose.

Sorry, nothing you and he said are anywhere close to the truth, please check steam hardware survey again in case you need a reality check, that's the grand scope of PC gaming, whether you like or not. of course he was "spot on" because you and him are in mutal interest except there's no logic and facts behind your statement. Give up and get back to the topic

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If that's the case then the "rumor" that was posted not long ago is correct. That the PC version has no real differences besides things like Hairworks, higher resolution and higher framerate.
The only rumors I've ever heard were that the game would look/run like trash on consoles and that's clearly not the case.

Reebot

The game is confirmed 1080 on PS4, yes?

Its a little disappointing (or really a lot) that CDPR pulled this move. I get the business side of it, I really do, and I couldn't even run the higher settings if they existed; but the total parity outside of a few minor differences is disheartening. We know they didn't push the envelope.

Understandable, but sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom