• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 downgrade arguments in here and nowhere else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinthalis

Banned
Lol you just can't do it can you? You seem to be unable to not take a shot at consoles no matter how pointless it is. Yes we get it consoles have inferior hardware you've made that clear for even the blind and deaf no need to go on and on.

Totally ignored the post I was responding to...

Genio88

Watching that comparison video(here in better qualiti than youtube) i'd say that not only the game has been downgraded a lot due to parity, but also that it is worse optimized than Ubisoft's PC ports, as digital foundry has shown a 750ti has been enough to run games at the same PS4 quality, here instead we need a GTX 980 to run a game which is almost identical to the PS4 version with just 30fps more.
I hope at least Batman Arkham Knight will do justice to my 980...

What would happen if it were forced through the Nvidia control panel and disabled in-game? Would it make a difference?

if this is the best they could achieve directly in red engine 3, its highly unlikely forcing it through the driver would bring better results. most likely the option will be grayed out like it usually is in titles with in game hbao+ support.

iQL2s64Jtpjht.png

iwFQVty5B8RpL.png
The grass in the bottom image looks unshaded like all the footage so far. They must have requested HBAO to be turned off for marketing parity reasons

Kinthalis

Banned
Watching that comparison video(here in better qualiti than youtube) i'd say that not only the game has been downgraded a lot due to parity, but also that it is worse optimized than Ubisoft's PC ports, as digital foundry has shown a 750ti has been enough to run games at the same PS4 quality, here instead we need a GTX 980 to run a game which is almost identical to the PS4 version with just 30fps more.
I hope at least Batman Arkham Knight will do justice to my 980...

It doesn't really work that way.

A 750ti is still enough to just about match a console. A 980 IS running a more complex scene, even if the result of that complexity is subtle, and it's doing so at twice the frame rate.

Sounds about right, a GTX 980 has 2.5 times the performance potential of a PS4's GPU.

If anything, it just looks like CDPR simply didn't put the time to make these extra effect really have an impact on the scene. Or to put modern GPU's muscle to work on things consoles have difficulty running, like more complex meshes featuring tessellated effects, more particle effects, more complex shaders, etc.

In other words, I don't think it's about optimization so much as it is about them deciding on parity at some ealry stage in development.

Derp

if this is the best they could achieve directly in red engine 3, its highly unlikely forcing it through the driver would bring better results. most likely the option will be grayed out like it usually is in titles with in game hbao+ support.
Ah, I see. Never tried enabling AO through the control panel before so I wasn't sure haha.

Well I guess all there is to do now is wait. Everything is now clear to us it seems. :/

Is this from a legit source? Cuase theyre almost identical, and that is not a good thing

If that is the PC version I am highly disappointed. Being I am playing the PC version of Witcher 2 right now it doesn't look any different. Could be youtube compression but it just looks bad.

Edit: Going based on what I have seen I am glad I didn't drop any money on it. Thanks Nvidia.

Codiox

Does anyone who got this game already also experience some micro stutter on ps4? When you slowly move the camera or when riding slowly. Really distracting because everything else looks really good.

Kinthalis

Banned
Does anyone who got this game already also experience some micro stutter on ps4? When you slowly move the camera or when riding slowly. Really distracting because everything else looks really good.

I've seen it on a few videos, but I thought that was prepatch.

Yeah I had seen that before but I guess I got the PS4 mixed up with the PC Min footage.

Interesting. Then where the hell is the HBAO+? Could it be because Nvidia has not released drivers yet, and even when enabled in the menu, it is not turning on?

i dont expect that to be the case, but it certainly would be nice :/

Derp

I think they said that they were going to release a patch to fix the frame rate problems on PS4. Or was that a different frame rate problem?

I really wanted to play this on PS4, however it'll still be cheaper for me to upgrade my machine than to buy a PS4.

Currently running an AMD AM+ 4100 and R7 260X. I know I'm in serious need of an upgrade, was a tight budget build a couple of years ago.

If I can run it even on low settings for now, I'd be happy. Using a 720p tv as a monitor anyways.

People who haven't paid attention and are unaware of the downgrade will likely enjoy the game significantly more than those who have been keeping close track of the changes. I'm unfortunately one of those who have kept track and wishing I haven't. Being on a downgrade "bandwagon" really has no benefit and instead can only do harm as it forces you to scrutinize a game that is otherwise gorgeous. Complaining and bringing awareness to the downgrade is a waste of energy unless you expect the developers to care enough about the minute complaints to put forth a change. The game will sell incredibly well despite the downgrade, and those who haven't noticed will receive the greatest enjoyment.

tuxfool

Banned
That stuff is disappointing, no doubt, but it's still a beautiful game AND an incredibly good one. Let's not lose sight of that.

The default AA is some custom Temporal AA solution. They haven't specified how it works, but the results are pretty good, not as good as the one found in UE4 but better than the typical fxaa or smaa solutions a lot of other developers fart out.

Korezo

So I need a 4k tv now to not have a console experience. 1k+ to play a game at 60fps + 4k res, or play identicle to console stuff. Cool.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
so the witcher has become almost a barebones console port. im assuming the AA toggle is crappy fxaa too. the media coming out certainly shows pretty poor IQ. wow what happened with this game.

yeah it's really sad to see that.I wonder if it wasn't for Nvidia shiny canned food effect, will CDPR bother to make some PC effect themselves or leave the effect the same the consoles.

Between the massive downgrade from 2013 to and PC getting same quality assets as the consoles I think CDPR will lose their position as "a top PC developer" among gamers mindset.

cadav

Banned
Differences between a fairly high end PC and and PS4 are so small, we are down to audiophile-level nit-pickery.

Sure, you can be a 1%er and do some crazy expensive GPU setup, but you are really just going to get the same content but a little sharper/smoother.

It amazes me that I can watch a movie trailer or TV clip on Youtube in HD and it looks great, but for some reason it's bad form to judge high end PC footage on youtube because of compression. Sure, but aren't game graphics striving for realism? (or stylistic interpretation of reality) Doesn't realism look real (or not) at any resolution with any compression?

All this anger over what amounts to possibly nothing, and at most, very, very little. I can't help but feel it's psychological. Like, spending $1000 on a PC only to have someone else with a PS4 play it pretty much just as well as you must sting a little.

I feel a tinge of sorrow for the devs after all their insane hard work.

Kinthalis

Banned
Differences between a fairly high end PC and and PS4 are so small, we are down to audiophile-level nit-pickery.

Sure, you can be a 1%er and do some crazy expensive GPU setup, but you are really just going to get the same content but a little sharper/smoother.

It amazes me that I can watch a movie trailer or TV clip on Youtube in HD and it looks great, but for some reason it's bad form to judge high end PC footage on youtube because of compression. Sure, but aren't game graphics striving for realism? (or stylistic interpretation of reality) Doesn't realism look real (or not) at any resolution with any compression?

All this anger over what amounts to possibly nothing, and at most, very, very little. I can't help but feel it's psychological. Like, spending $1000 on a PC only to have someone else with a PS4 play it pretty much just as well as you must sting a little.

What a load of crap. A $400 Pc will play it "pretty much the same" as a PS4.

A $1,000 PC will play at double the resolution, with hairworks and better shadowing and at double the frame rate. That ain't "pretty much the same".

Prodigal

Banned

And the award for the dumbest post of the month goes to....^

It's a good thing there are literally hundreds of other games on PC that look and feel miles above their console counterparts.

Gbraga

It amazes me that I can watch a movie trailer or TV clip on Youtube in HD and it looks great

That's the flaw of your logic, it doesn't to me, youtube quality is always crappy, and it's also bad form to judge some film's IQ based on youtube trailers.

I don't think they're unbearable or anything, I also use youtube a lot, but you don't have to despise it in order to acknowledge the quality isn't that good.

EDIT: Though I admit I might be in the minority here, I also think Reshade was a mistake, it's nothing but trash, but people seem quite fond of making their games look like console games.

Codiox

I think they said that they were going to release a patch to fix the frame rate problems on PS4. Or was that a different frame rate problem?

I don't think it's the framerate, all animations stops for a millisecond. Really weird.

Genio88

What a load of crap. A $400 Pc will play it "pretty much the same" as a PS4.

A $1,000 PC will play at double the resolution, with hairworks and better shadowing and at double the frame rate. That ain't "pretty much the same".

What? to play it at 4K you need either a Titan X or a GTX 980s sli, which would be plus 1000$ only for the GPU, all this to play the same game but sharper in resolution

tweet.png

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
The problem is they're the worst here, you can definitely see a lot of difference between PC and console version of Watch Dogs, AC Unity or Far Cry 4

I feel like this too. I really expected them to do a great pc version. Me and my friends always planned on getting the pc version for this game. To see there's little difference is heart breaking. After gta v getting such a good pc port (albeit later) and other games receiving such good ports, even towards the end of last gen, I really thought CDPR would make us proud.I am gutted. I know it will be fine once we get used ttoo it but dang. Absolutely gutting.

I hope batman brings it. Even mordor etc had great pc options. Pc annhialate these consoles and they should put the effort in for pc versions seeing tho it's doing so strong at the minute and only increasing in market share.

I do agree that they look quite similar, but I'll be honest here, I think the comparison should be like the one Kojima did for the different versions of MGSV, there were many subtle differences in those versions too, I only really saw them when they released that uncompressed video at 60fps.

Kinthalis

Banned
1920 x 2 is 3840
1080 x 2 is 2160
4k is 3840x2160 so it's 2x

That's not how that works. But nice try.

1920x1080 = 2 megapixels.
3840x2160 = 8.2 megapixels.

4 times the resolution.

2560x1440 = 3.6 megapixels, or about twice the resolution.

Even if we were tlaking purely about horizontla and verticla resolutions, you'd still be wrong, as you're only working with two dimensions. 1920x1080 fits 4 TIMES in 3840 x 2160.

Math, guys. Learn it, Use it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom