• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Vitor711

I uninstalled the base game and then reinstalled the GOTY edition because my Mods have screwed up the game. However, when I hit 'continue' I still have the same issues as before (no hud, insta-death after 5 seconds).

How do I reset my game and ensure that all settings are back to default? I've already tried to 'verify' files and nothing seems to help.

dr_rus

I uninstalled the base game and then reinstalled the GOTY edition because my Mods have screwed up the game. However, when I hit 'continue' I still have the same issues as before (no hud, insta-death after 5 seconds).

How do I reset my game and ensure that all settings are back to default? I've already tried to 'verify' files and nothing seems to help.

Delete the configuration and save files? You can probably backup saves and try to restore them later.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I just bought this on GOG and am playing it on a 980 (non-Ti) at 3440x1440. I can't make any judgments about actual performance yet since I've just been playing with graphics settings in the very first room the tutorial starts you in.

Is it just me or does the in-game Anti-Aliasing not do a damn thing? It's the most aliased game I've seen in a long time with an in-game AA setting. Is it broken or am I doing something wrong?

I had no problem with the included AA. It was good enough but I suppose you could always try get something better. I didn't feel the need to.

As for performance, I find that the most demanding areas don't appear until many hours into the game. The cities such as Novigrad/Beauclair were always where I felt the game struggled. As soon as you get to the Velen map you could just head for Novigrad but I didn't get there until about 40 hours in. Also, Skellige saw my framerate drop to about 45-50fps at times. In the starting town I could get 90-100fps. I didn't get to Skellige until about 70 hours into the game.

dr_rus

I had no problem with the included AA. It was good enough but I suppose you could always try get something better. I didn't feel the need to.

As for performance, I find that the most demanding areas don't appear until many hours into the game. The cities such as Novigrad/Beauclair were always where I felt the game struggled. As soon as you get to the Velen map you could just head for Novigrad but I didn't get there until about 40 hours in. Also, Skellige saw my framerate drop to about 45-50fps at times. In the starting town I could get 90-100fps. I didn't get to Skellige until about 70 hours into the game.

TW3's in-house PP/TAA is pretty weak on geometry edges. I tried injecting SMAA instead of it but this results in severe shimmering on trees and grass which their TAA takes care of rather well, and running them both simultaneously seems not elegant enough for me.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
TW3's in-house PP/TAA is pretty weak on geometry edges. I tried injecting SMAA instead of it but this results in severe shimmering on trees and grass which their TAA takes care of rather well, and running them both simultaneously seems not elegant enough for me.

now I think about I remember keeping the depth of field/CA on to mask some of the aliasing. it was on trees in the distance that bothered me but everything up close didn't look so bad.

teiresias

What GPU were you using?

I'm thinking I might upgrade to a 1080 from my 980 since I know have this 1440p ultrawide monitor. It's gsync, though, so actually 45fps doesn't feel bad.

B U M P

So i reinstalled this and got a few mods, where the only visual ones were stlm and 2 texture mods. Nothing taxing at all, basically. I just got to velen and were around 40fps on ultra settings with a 1070, 6700k and 16ram, lowered it down to high and i can barely hold 60. However, when checking out benchmarks, they're on constant 70+ fps with maxed settings. So uh... something's fucky with my install or something? Is it that specific area? I'm in the areas near the crossroads and hanged mans tree.

dr_rus

B U M P

So i reinstalled this and got a few mods, where the only visual ones were stlm and 2 texture mods. Nothing taxing at all, basically. I just got to velen and were around 40fps on ultra settings with a 1070, 6700k and 16ram, lowered it down to high and i can barely hold 60. However, when checking out benchmarks, they're on constant 70+ fps with maxed settings. So uh... something's fucky with my install or something? Is it that specific area? I'm in the areas near the crossroads and hanged mans tree.

Most benchmarks out there are without Hairworks.

You should still get ~60 with Hairworks enabled. Weird.
Have you tried without mods?

Got a gameplay mod overhaul that i'm kinda worried to remove incase i'd screw something up, but i don't see what it could possibly do. I'll try to remove stlm and see if something changes, altough i had no issues ever before. it's weird, because this performance feels almost similar to when i played it initially on a 290 in 2015.

DPB

I'm also playing without hair works, which is what's confusing me so much. This was turned off almost immediately since i don't like the constant frame drops when you're near geralts head and stuff.

Something's wrong there then. I get much better performance than you've described, even with a 1060.

Something's wrong there then. I get much better performance than you've described, even with a 1060.

Yeah, it's confusing me alot. Performance got a little better when i went full fullscreen and i can kinda hold 60fps in the nearby area, but it drops to 50 as soon as i even near one of the first small villages you near. I'm afraid of what would even happen should i sprint on my horse.

Gonna remove some mods and see what happens.

Also, do the rest of you have weird camera shake when the frames go below 60? I've had that since like, blood and wine i think?

Edit: well, uh.. seems stlm was probably the culprit. I cranked it all up to ultra now and it's smooth as butter. God that's weird, the last time i used stlm it was an absolutely nonexistent drop.

coopolon

I've been replaying this on my gtx 1060 and getting really disappointing results. In fields it's fine as long as there's no weather, but in novigrad i was constantly getting drops to the 40s.

Googling around a little I saw someone suggest changing power management mode in the nvidia control panel for this game. That completely solved the problem, I now have 60fps 90-95% of the time and when it drops it's only a few frames, even in novigrad with everything turned up (even hairworks!)

So strange, my gpu was throttling itself in a game it appears.

Top Bottom