• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Did they break the gamma somehow with the next patch?
In the gamma slider menu, the actual image's gamma in center doesn't change at all, while the whole screen around it adjusts properly when dialing the gamma up or down. WTF? o_O

edit: did notice the contrast was much much heavier on the 1.21 patch. Crushed blacks even. :/

Dmax3901

Is anyone getting solid FPS drops every now and then? Like it'll be in the middle of a cutscene and suddenly the frame rate will plummet for no apparent reason.

I'm worried my GPU might be on the way out.

ISee

Getting crazy high CPU temps with the new patch and DLC installed. It was fine a couple days ago.

What's you CPU load and what are the temps you're getting?

Of course higher temperatures could happen, depending on your CPU, Overclock (?) and cooling. Blood&Wine seems to have some cpu heavy areas. I'm getting up to ~70% load on 'all' threads according to RTSS (i7 6700k @ 4.4ghz, air cooled) and my temperature is of course higher because of this.

Just to give you a comparison:

cpuintensive2sq1o.jpg

Is anyone getting solid FPS drops every now and then? Like it'll be in the middle of a cutscene and suddenly the frame rate will plummet for no apparent reason.

Check temperatures...
But this sounds like it could be something else (no idea what). I have the feeling they changed some stuff...
For example:
I was running the original game in borderless windowed mode (vsync off) and caped the fps with RTSS and everything was fine. But not in Blood and Wine; I had steady 60 fps (according to RTSS) but the frame pacing was very off and the game didn't feel fluent. Activating the ingame vsync option and unlocking the frame limit in RTSS fixed that. Very strange...

GavinUK86

What's you CPU load and what are the temps you're getting?

Of course higher temperatures could happen, depending on your CPU, Overclock (?) and cooling. Blood&Wine seems to have some cpu heavy areas. I'm getting up to ~70% load on 'all' threads according to RTSS (i7 6700k @ 4.4ghz, air cooled) and my temperature is of course higher because of this.

Just to give you a comparison:

Check temperatures...
But this sounds like it could be something else (no idea what). I have the feeling they changed some stuff...
For example:
I was running the original game in borderless windowed mode (vsync off) and caped the fps with RTSS and everything was fine. But not in Blood and Wine; I had steady 60 fps (according to RTSS) but the frame pacing was very off and the game didn't feel fluent. Activating the ingame vsync option and unlocking the frame limit in RTSS fixed that. Very strange...

60c isn't high at all. I'm only getting 50% - 60% usage on an i7 2600k overclocked to 4ghz but it's spiking the temps to 80c. Might tone down the overclock, see if that does anything. It only spikes like that since the new update, which is really weird.

ISee

60c isn't high at all. I'm only getting 50% - 60% usage on an i7 2600k overclocked to 4ghz but it's spiking the temps to 80c. Might tone down the overclock, see if that does anything. It only spikes like that since the new update, which is really weird.

Also in older areas?
edit: Just in case, reapplying thermal paste might help... if everything else is correct.

Zojirushi

Did you check your fan speeds to make sure they are working correctly? Low usage and high temps sound like either fans not working or dusty PC. Might wanna open up your case and see if anything needs cleaning.

Dmax3901

Check temperatures...
For example:

I recently installed an arctic xtreme IV cooler to my r9 290. It came with these thermal pad things. A few of them have fallen off since I put it together. All temps seem to be fine. I just tried deleting the RTSS entry which didn't work. I might try full screen + in-game vync next.

Probably the wrong thread to ask but despite really enjoying the game at launch I stopped playing and never got back into it.

I feel like there's 20 huge patches waiting when I boot up the game, I've read about so many changes, I'm just wondering if its best to unplug the Ethernet cable and play as it was intended or do I update?

I got about a third of the way through the main story to Oxenfurt, didn't reach Novigrad.

CHC

I feel like there's 20 huge patches waiting when I boot up the game, I've read so many changes, I'm just wondering if its best to unplug the Ethernet cable and play as it was intended or do I update?

It was intended to be updated, so you'll definitely want to do that.

Jeffrey

forgot how this game doesn't run amazing on my setup. (3570k 980ti 16gb ram) with hairworks off... major framepacing stuttery noticeable even on a g-sync monitor, 40-70fps at 1440p.

time to look into tweaking stuff. I really should look into a new CPU this year.

----
oh, so i'm not the only one with framepacing problems? Felt like the game ran smoother with heart of stone.

Thorn

Anyone else getting texture and mesh bugs or objects not appearing at all in some locations?

EDIT: Fixed after deleting and restoring a few config files.

Dmax3901

In case someone has a similar problem, I rolled back my AMD drivers to 16.5.2.1 and it fixed it!

OtisInf

Probably the wrong thread to ask but despite really enjoying the game at launch I stopped playing and never got back into it.

I feel like there's 20 huge patches waiting when I boot up the game, I've read about so many changes, I'm just wondering if its best to unplug the Ethernet cable and play as it was intended or do I update?

I got about a third of the way through the main story to Oxenfurt, didn't reach Novigrad.
If you want to take screenshots, and I think you want to ;), the freecamera mods are not updated to 1.20/1.21 yet, and work with 1.12.*. If you have 1.12, or can get that instead of the latest, stick to it till the camera tools/mods are updated. If you have the GoG version, you also want to disable / remove the 'overlay' DLC as it conflicts with reshade in patch 1.12.1 and makes loading saves extremely slow. Then start the game using the .exe, no gog tool needed so you won't auto-update the game, it will start right away.

Interesting thing about the Witcher 3 with SLI. I have a Gsync monitor so typically I keep the framerate unlocked however, with the Witcher 3 an unlocked framerate with SLI causes a lot of hitching and stuttering. If I use RivaTuner to cap the framerate to say 75fps, it is perfectly smooth. Using a single GPU, the stuttering also vanishes but then I take a framerate hit bigger than I'd like.

Jeffrey

Interesting thing about the Witcher 3 with SLI. I have a Gsync monitor so typically I keep the framerate unlocked however, with the Witcher 3 an unlocked framerate with SLI causes a lot of hitching and stuttering. If I use RivaTuner to cap the framerate to say 75fps, it is perfectly smooth. Using a single GPU, the stuttering also vanishes but then I take a framerate hit bigger than I'd like.

im getting hitching with a single gpu with a g-sync monitor unlocked.

Thorn

The newest driver seems to be producing lots of stuttering on my 980ti (even on overwatch, the game it was released for). Rolled back and performance is much improved.

If you want to take screenshots, and I think you want to ;), the freecamera mods are not updated to 1.20/1.21 yet, and work with 1.12.*. If you have 1.12, or can get that instead of the latest, stick to it till the camera tools/mods are updated. If you have the GoG version, you also want to disable / remove the 'overlay' DLC as it conflicts with reshade in patch 1.12.1 and makes loading saves extremely slow. Then start the game using the .exe, no gog tool needed so you won't auto-update the game, it will start right away.

Thanks for the info Otislnf, especially about the GOG version. You guessed right about screenshots:). So probably nothing to fear story content wise I take it. Will try to update to 1.12 and stick at the game.

Jeffrey

hmmm wonder what stuff I can turn down to get a solid 60fps 1440p with a 3570k 980ti.

Wonder if the older performance guides are still applicable now.

Oh my god I was getting a flawless 60fps on my 970 and now entering Tousant I'm getting between 30-50 fps. and it's fluctuating like crazy. To the point where I'm finding it hard to even play at this point. Not impressed so far. I've even dropped settings and still no solid 60fps. What the hell.

EDIT: I verified the game on GOG and it seems to be much better now. Must of been something up with the way it was installed perhaps

iavi

Since updating to 1.21 I'm getting driver crashes I only used to get when OCing. Anybody else dealing with this?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Since updating to 1.21 I'm getting driver crashes I only used to get when OCing. Anybody else dealing with this?

I know that the update has significantly increased the GPU usage of my 980ti and the temps are like 10-20c higher now in the same exact place in vanilla witcher at my save game after the patch. No driver changes.

LilJoka

I haven't noticed a difference in my system but I did go from a 3770 at 4.2ghz to a 6700k at 4.5ghz so if may have negated the perf drop.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Pretty sure i narrowed down the weird issues people are having with temps and fps things to a change CDPR made to the texture and possibly water settings. When the patch was installed those two settings were set to low. I think they increased what the Ultra setting does. I changed my texture setting to High instead of ultra and i seem to be a bit closer to the performance i was at before the patch.

The-Bean

In Blood and Wine does anyone else experience the occasional pause for a few seconds while in Beauclair? I assume it's the game loading as it sometimes happens during quicksaving, talking to a character (press A to talk but takes a moment to start), or opening the map and it's just black before it loads.

I'm running the game on a HDD drive though.

Blitzhex

In Blood and Wine does anyone else experience the occasional pause for a few seconds while in Beauclair? I assume it's the game loading as it sometimes happens during quicksaving, talking to a character (press A to talk but takes a moment to start), or opening the map and it's just black before it loads.

I'm running the game on a HDD drive though.

No pauses for me, only when quicksaving. I'm on ssd.

Not really happy with the performance hit after the latest patches. Playing on an i2500k CPU and GTX970 CPU, and before the patches I hit steady 60FPS with almost max details everywhere in the game.

Got performance hits everywhere now with borderless windowed mode, and while I gain most of that back with fullscreen instead, the FPS fluctates heavily in cities like Oxenfurt, where it jumps between 40 and 60FPS, no matter what graphic settings I seem to use.

These are quick testes, so I might have missad some settings, but something has definitely changed, and now for the better for me.

Not really happy with the performance hit after the latest patches. Playing on an i2500k CPU and GTX970 CPU, and before the patches I hit steady 60FPS with almost max details everywhere in the game.

Got performance hits everywhere now with borderless windowed mode, and while I gain most of that back with fullscreen instead, the FPS fluctates heavily in cities like Oxenfurt, where it jumps between 40 and 60FPS, no matter what graphic settings I seem to use.

These are quick testes, so I might have missad some settings, but something has definitely changed, and now for the better for me.

GTX 780 owner here and I'm not happy either. I'm still in the main story, about half way through and after a few months of not playing I went back and the game was running significantly worse than before

Mudo

Hey - I just got my new GT 1070 card today replacing 2 970s, and it detected the game to ultra with everything on. I am running borderless fullscreen and it's not running at 60fps at 1080p. Is that normal? I'm not sure what else I can do I was expecting this card to blow the game out of the water 1080p.

diamount

Banned
Hey - I just got my new GT 1070 card today replacing 2 970s, and it detected the game to ultra with everything on. I am running borderless fullscreen and it's not running at 60fps at 1080p. Is that normal? I'm not sure what else I can do I was expecting this card to blow the game out of the water 1080p.

60fps where? in Novigrad and Beauclair?

Mudo

I'm still in Velen, I was in the Baron's town and then over to Lindenvale (?) for a quest. Dropped to 55-60 fairly often and 45 in a cutscene with 1 other guy in a field. crazy

diamount

Banned
I'm still in Velen, I was in the Baron's town and then over to Lindenvale (?) for a quest. Dropped to 55-60 fairly often and 45 in a cutscene with 1 other guy in a field. crazy

If you are usage stats for your gpu and cpu will get a good understanding what's getting more use.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Everything set to ultra but foliage visibility (high) and HairWorks enabled with 4xAA nets me on average 70-80fps outdoors, and up to 90fps in the middle of Novigrad.

This is at 1680x1050 resolution, but still a massive improvement from an older build.

i5-6500
GTX 1060 6GB
16GB RAM

Mudo

Everything set to ultra but foliage visibility (high) and HairWorks enabled with 4xAA nets me on average 70-80fps outdoors, and up to 90fps in the middle of Novigrad.

This is at 1680x1050 resolution, but still a massive improvement from an older build.

i5-6500
GTX 1060 6GB
16GB RAM

ok i will also move foliage down a notch and see if that combined with no hair works gets me there. does it matter full screen or borderless window mode??

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
ok i will also move foliage down a notch and see if that combined with no hair works gets me there. does it matter full screen or borderless window mode??

Not quite sure, but I've got my game set to fullscreen.

jryeje29

I don't remember for sure so wait for another answer but I do think there's a small performance hit with borderless window though you should still be getting 60 without hair works and lowered grass. I get 60 with those two things but on 3440 x 1440 with a 1080 so it should scale down nicely to a 1060

teiresias

I just bought this on GOG and am playing it on a 980 (non-Ti) at 3440x1440. I can't make any judgments about actual performance yet since I've just been playing with graphics settings in the very first room the tutorial starts you in.

Is it just me or does the in-game Anti-Aliasing not do a damn thing? It's the most aliased game I've seen in a long time with an in-game AA setting. Is it broken or am I doing something wrong?

I just bought this on GOG and am playing it on a 980 (non-Ti) at 3440x1440. I can't make any judgments about actual performance yet since I've just been playing with graphics settings in the very first room the tutorial starts you in.

Is it just me or does the in-game Anti-Aliasing not do a damn thing? It's the most aliased game I've seen in a long time with an in-game AA setting. Is it broken or am I doing something wrong?

I thought the default AA was awful in this game. I injected SMAA with Reshade and it looked much better.

Top Bottom