• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Van Owen

Banned
I have a G1 too at +125/375 and it seems to have gone away (as well as random crashes) after going back to the Witcher 3 driver. GPU still hovers around 80 but it doesn't seem to be a problem.

tbd

Maybe verify the integrity of the game cache?

Already tried, also deleted all the files in my Documents folder. Didn't help. Had this problem when the game came out and I tried to start it the first time. Just deleting Documents files helped back then, now not so much. I hope the patch will fix it but I doubt it.

Kinda frustrating. At least I already finished it, I guess...

Although its not as bad as when I was getting a crash every half hour the week of launch, I still get crashes with this game. Probably a crash every 5 hours or so. Really annoying.

I get NVidia display driver stopped for most of them, so I'm assuming its that.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Lately, I've been getting heavy stuttering everytime I play the game (It starts out nicely at first, then suddenly after a few minutes, it stutters like a fucking shitty framerate).

I'm not sure what went wrong as I only had this problem recently.

Lately, I've been getting heavy stuttering everytime I play the game (It starts out nicely at first, then suddenly after a few minutes, it stutters like a fucking shitty framerate).

AMD or Nvidia? If AMD download the new 15.7 drivers, I had good performance before but now I have about 5fps more on average and even less stuttering (didn't have much before anyway). It might help some.

Karl Hawk

Banned
AMD or Nvidia? If AMD download the new 15.7 drivers, I had good performance before but now I have about 5fps more on average and even less stuttering (didn't have much before anyway). It might help some.

NVIDIA, actually.

I suppose those who have NVIDIA GPU's have any solution to my problem?

vocab

Probably drivers. I feel the driver situation for nvidia is pretty terrible atm.

Qassim

That sounds to me like a potential memory limitation, as you start swapping to a hard drive (and potentially reading from the same drive for the game), how much system memory are you running on?

Karl Hawk

Banned
That sounds to me like a potential memory limitation, as you start swapping to a hard drive (and potentially reading from the same drive for the game), how much system memory are you running on?

When I'm playing the game, its running on 6.94 GB of system memory.

Is it safe to assume that its too absurd to run that much?

Qassim

When I'm playing the game, its running on 6.94 GB of system memory.

Is it safe to assume that its too absurd to run that much?

So you have 8GB of total memory I assume? Using 7GB of that is fine - if you're not hitting your system memory limit then it probably isn't a memory issue (obviously). What you could do is open up task manager and monitor disk usage whilst the game is playing and the stutters are happening, just to rule out any sort of streaming related stuttering.

After that - you could look if your GPU is clocking to the rate it should be (in something like MSI Afterburner).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So what is the current download size of the entire game? Has it changed much since all the patches?

I'm not asking about the hard drive size displayed in the system requirements, but the actual amount of data you download upon buying the game. I heard the pre-load was only like 21GB.
Edit: this is what I'm referring to: http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/n...igroesse-bekannt-steam-folgt.html#post7384542

Including the free DLC it's a 25.6GB download/30.2GB install on Steam; excluding the DLC it's 25.1GB/29.7GB. The download size on GOG may be oh-so-slightly different owing to compression differences.

Karl Hawk

Banned
So you have 8GB of total memory/b] I assume? Using 7GB of that is fine - if you're not hitting your system memory limit then it probably isn't a memory issue (obviously). What you could do is open up task manager and monitor disk usage whilst the game is playing and the stutters are happening, just to rule out any sort of streaming related stuttering.

After that - you could look if your GPU is clocking to the rate it should be (in something like MSI Afterburner).

@Bolded: I have a 16 GB of total memory, actually.

Speaking of my issue, I got it fixed. But gotta make sure it doesn't come out again.

Qassim

@Bolded: I have a 16 GB of total memory, actually.

Speaking of my issue, I got it fixed. But gotta make sure it doesn't come out again.

Do you have any idea what fixed it? It's always useful to post a solution in case anyone else runs into something similar.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Do you have any idea what fixed it? It's always useful to post a solution in case anyone else runs into something similar.

I'm not entirely sure, but I rolled back my NVIDIA Driver to its previous version or so (The update didn't do me any good), then I made some important Windows updates, then I had my computer shut down for a few minutes to rest (I'm one of those people who leaves their computer on sleep often).

Like I said, I'm not sure what fixed it exactly. Sorry if it wasn't any help

RedSwirl

Including the free DLC it's a 25.6GB download/30.2GB install on Steam; excluding the DLC it's 25.1GB/29.7GB. The download size on GOG may be oh-so-slightly different owing to compression differences.

Thank God. Shouldn't take too huge a bite out of my data cap. I'm at the beginning of my pay period anyway.

Probably still gonna try to see if the disc version is on sale on Amazon Prime Day or something, but now I know either the Steam or GOG version is an option.

b0uncyfr0

Can any 290x users gimme their settings for a constant 50-60 fps 1440p experience? Hairworks on or off is fine. I would use that hairworks mod to disable it on geralt anyway, more fps is always welcome.

Still getting random crashes in this game. Not sure if its the Nvidia driver causing it, or the driver crash is just a side effect of the game crashing.

The only OC I have going is a really modest OC of my 2500K @ 4.0 Ghz. When I got crashes while figuring out my OC initially, crashes due to an unstable cpu OC always ended up in a blue screen. I'm assuming the game crashing probably wouldn't be due to my cpu OC then?

Game runs super well otherwise. I'm at 1080p with everything on Ultra except Hairworks off and Foliage Visibility on High and I get a mostly locked 60fps. 970 handles it well, just the random crashes are really annoying.

Sanjay

Yeah, I don't think this mod works anymore? Or if so I guess I'm doing it wrong? I cannot get it to function at all

It still works, I got it the wrong the first time too, you have to place the files in the right place.

This should give you an idea, check you and I have the same files, it should be the same.
untitledq4umk.png

and if we have the same files in the same place, you have and extra files?

daninthemix

Still getting random crashes in this game. Not sure if its the Nvidia driver causing it, or the driver crash is just a side effect of the game crashing.

The only OC I have going is a really modest OC of my 2500K @ 4.0 Ghz. When I got crashes while figuring out my OC initially, crashes due to an unstable cpu OC always ended up in a blue screen. I'm assuming the game crashing probably wouldn't be due to my cpu OC then?

Game runs super well otherwise. I'm at 1080p with everything on Ultra except Hairworks off and Foliage Visibility on High and I get a mostly locked 60fps. 970 handles it well, just the random crashes are really annoying.

I have your CPU and GPU and didn't get any crashes, but I locked at 30fps. I wonder if it's simply a question of utilisation, and by giving your components headroom, whatever problem causes the crashes doesn't manifest.

Sajjaja

Anyone know if there's a mod for DS4 prompts?

I got a 780 and 6350 and I play at a steady 60 with drops to 45ish in Novigrad. Pretty good.

RedSwirl

So I might finally grab the game this week. How is kepler performance so far? Specifically, how will a 760 do at this point at 1080p and locked to 30fps?

kinggroin

Banned
So I might finally grab the game this week. How is kepler performance so far? Specifically, how will a 760 do at this point at 1080p and locked to 30fps?

doable with the proper mix of medium, low and high settings.

Keep grass distance to medium, grass density to low. No NVidia fur. Textures to high, and shadows to low. Post processing fx can be whatever as you see fit and the detail level and amount of NPCs setting should be high to ultra depending on your CPU.

That's a good starting point to ensure 30fps at 1080p in nearly all scenarios.

Parsnip

2gig or 4gig 760?
I've been playing with my 2gig 760 everything on medium, except textures and detail level on high, and it's been comfortable 30fps. Also using borderless fullscreen and I'm limiting fps through RTSS rather than using the in-game limiter.

Oh yeah and no hairworks of course.

Getting some drops that I wasn't getting before recently. Nothing major, just dropping down to 55 or so when walking through novigrad. I had these problems before, but I fixed them by dropping my shadows from high to medium on my 970. very odd.

No, but that's a good idea.

I did some benchmarks for Byways, Abandoned Village, Hierarch Square, and Crookback Bog (specifically because the patch notes listed better performance for this area). I did all areas at 7pm with clear weather and just ran around for 120 seconds while FRAPS benchmarked the perfromance. Here are the results, but not really that interesting until I can compare them with 1.07. I'm using a Kepler card though, so I'm sure Maxwell cards will be a more interesting comparison.

Striek

Had the game for ages but was too busy to play, oh my god the performance is fucking terrible for me on my GTX980 rig, is there a performance guide? Even with hairworks disabled it is stilted at best.

Had the game for ages but was too busy to play, oh my god the performance is fucking terrible for me on my GTX980 rig, is there a performance guide? Even with hairworks disabled it is stilted at best.

First post in the thread has all the info you need to get started with tweaking.

didamangi

After Hairworks, Foliage Visibility Range is the biggest fps hit. Try turning it down to High.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Recently it started kicking me to the desktop, and I can hear the game's audio and can press start and hear the menu pop up, etc..... but it won't let me alt+tab back in.

Anyone else?

masterkajo

Have been playing the prologue on my hd7850 in 1080 on High with medium shadows on a somewhat acceptable <= 30FPS. But once the world opens up, I get a lot more problems and the framerate dips more and more. Still playable but noticeable drops throughout.

A friend could borrow me his "old" PC with a 680. Will I get much better performance? Could I even play the game on higher settings? I am asking because in order to get the PC I would need to open it up and put in a hdd and ram and then a fresh install. I would only do that if the gain is significant enough. What say you?

I did some benchmarks for Byways, Abandoned Village, Hierarch Square, and Crookback Bog (specifically because the patch notes listed better performance for this area). I did all areas at 7pm with clear weather and just ran around for 120 seconds while FRAPS benchmarked the perfromance. Here are the results, but not really that interesting until I can compare them with 1.07. I'm using a Kepler card though, so I'm sure Maxwell cards will be a more interesting comparison.

Add to that Inn at Crossroads and the camp before Novigrad (the absolute worst FPS area in the game). Those two places are where my GTX780 has drops below 45fps and STAYS below 50fps regardless of where you are at those areas. The Inn at Crossroads is 40-43 fps during the day in patch 1.06, so we will see how it runs on 1.07.

Novigrad is fine for me; there are very few and specific areas where I notice stuttering or below 45-50fps. I just don't get why the FUCK can't a two year old, 600$ "flagship" card maintain 60fps even on medium-high settings. I actually do know, but I don't want to start the Kepler rant again.

Have been playing the prologue on my hd7850 in 1080 on High with medium shadows on a somewhat acceptable <= 30FPS. But once the world opens up, I get a lot more problems and the framerate dips more and more. Still playable but noticeable drops throughout.

A friend could borrow me his "old" PC with a 680. Will I get much better performance? Could I even play the game on higher settings? I am asking because in order to get the PC I would need to open it up and put in a hdd and ram and then a fresh install. I would only do that if the gain is significant enough. What say you?

Higher settings? You might set textures, detail and water to high, but you have to set shadows and foliage to medium to get above 30fps; using SSAO will also help. I set shadows to medium and foliage to high on my GTX 780, and I still can't get locked 60fps.

Justinh

1.07 is live everywhere except PC :(

Dammit! I'm at like...121/130 load level. Since I read up on what's going to be in the next patch, I started keeping all my relic swords and armor I can't currently equip so I've actually put a hold on playing anymore. I've been opening up Galaxy everyday just to see if it's been updated.

Top Bottom